Author Topic: Siglent SSA3000X and SSA3000X-Plus Spectrum Analyzers  (Read 627734 times)

Bastler-XX and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

Siglent America

Re: Siglent SSA3000X spectrum analyzers
« Reply #650 on: August 04, 2017, 02:50:30 pm »
SSA3032X TG output shut off after being on several hrs even tho it says its on. Turned off TG than on again but still no output. Reset (Preset) no help, had to power cycle unit in order to get TG to work again.

SSA3032X Firmware ver 1.2.8.3

Hi N8AUM
We tried leaving the TG running into a filter overnight and never had a problem.
Please contact us at
info@siglent.com
if you are still having a problem.

Offline DaYooper

« Reply #651 on: August 08, 2017, 03:36:12 am »
I received an SSA3021X today but only had a few minutes to play with it before work intervened.  It's my first SA so I'm quite impressed.

I have a quick question about packaging.  Mine came with no peel off screen protector and a few small scratches on the bottom of the unit.  Every photo I've seen online of a new unit shows the peel off film in place.  Should I be concerned that I received a "used" model or do all the latest ones come w/o the film.  It has an April cal date and came with 8.2 FW  For $1500 I was expecting to get to peel film off something.    :'(

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #652 on: August 08, 2017, 03:50:37 am »
Most Siglent product that I have received lately has been minus peel off screen protectors.
I think they have phased them out. I still have the peel off on my older 3032X demo unit but IIRC the 3.2 GHz unit I sold a week or two back came without one. It also had 8.3 installed straight from the factory.

Never seen a mark on a unit, maybe it's been demo'ed in the shop.  :-//
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline rf-loopTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #653 on: August 08, 2017, 10:39:59 am »
I received an SSA3021X today but only had a few minutes to play with it before work intervened.  It's my first SA so I'm quite impressed.

I have a quick question about packaging.  Mine came with no peel off screen protector and a few small scratches on the bottom of the unit.  Every photo I've seen online of a new unit shows the peel off film in place.  Should I be concerned that I received a "used" model or do all the latest ones come w/o the film.  It has an April cal date and came with 8.2 FW  For $1500 I was expecting to get to peel film off something.    :'(

Front of TFT is pure glass. In normal handling it do not need any surface protection plastic.
Also nearly all other Siglent products have pure glass front of TFT.   Very different think if compare example usual TV set or monitor surfaces what really need handle with care.  If you solder and in your room is "flying hot tin" and it hit your Spectrum TFT nothing happen. YOu can take normal soft steel tool and knock and scratch this glass. If force is not enormous nothing happen.

Last set of SDS1202X-E, no TFT protective film.
My SSA is early version and when it arrive there was this film, it is even now there. But it really do not need it.

These can remove and leave off. It save work in factory. Some one may think this is small work. Yes it is, but whole process is not. And when there is one, two, tree...ten...hundred small things...  when pruct can total cost hundred dollar in carton it is easy to eat with some small things...,  You need keep them in manufacturing line, they need keep clean, they need quite carefully install or it looks really terrible... before install, surface need clean, if there is one tiny dust particle it looks terrible. So it is better there is not at all this.

But then, scratches in bottom. I can easy believe they may come in chinese handling. Perhaps before assembly,  product assembly line, calibration procedure, pre ageing process,,etc.  Theu have clearly developed this handling better but still, it can do better.
It do not work until every single human who are inside factory building is totally and fully motivated about every corner in quality thinking. It need import to every single worker head, from factory floor cleaner to CEO.  Every one need think, this is our product and we all are responsible about all what include term quality. Everyone need think that just he/she is personally responsible, not only neighbourg or boss or big boss. As long as they feel they do just hard boring work, what ever work just only for money and just only what boss ask and command and own thinking is minimal. As long as this do not change company stay B level in quality.
Who can import this to manufacturers floor. What kind of intervention it need.
Siglent situation in this HW quality thinking is not at all bad. But still, some these minor things need do better. There must NOT be clearly visible scratches etc, not in any side of unit. This kind of sub group in quality things whole group is small but, when equipment arrive to customer hand first 30 seconds are critical when he develop in his brain some imagine about quality. THis is psychology. Look some japanese companies how they manipulate peoples mind so that first feel is positive and after people is fixed to believe qualti... it do not so easy drop. 

Quality "feel" in these some cosmetical things do not cost nearly anything when it is done clever way inside house. It need motivation and it need knowledge and it may need some factory internal teached courses for quality thinking. It also needs to build an ethically and morally sustainable "bamboo fly and carrot" system. A reward is needed, but punishment is also needed. And what is important - responsibility so that "you and no one else" is responsible.

People buy new, he perhaps use all his free money for new equipment, some people may save money long time for get what he have thinking long time. It is very important he also get feel that he have really new machine what also looks and feels new. 

I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

The following users thanked this post: N8AUM

Offline Dubbie

• Supporter
« Reply #654 on: August 09, 2017, 02:43:06 am »
Most Siglent product that I have received lately has been minus peel off screen protectors.

I've been intercepting your mail Tautech!

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #655 on: August 09, 2017, 07:14:48 am »

I've been intercepting your mail Tautech!
:-DD
So you're the reason there's no screen protectors.
Last time you visited you ripped the one off my Fluke DMM......it hasn't felt the same since.  :P
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Dubbie

• Supporter
« Reply #656 on: August 09, 2017, 08:30:39 am »
Tearing off an old manky screen protector is the best feeling in the world!

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #657 on: August 14, 2017, 08:09:03 am »
Dropping this link to a thread from The Signal Path review:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-ssa3032x-9khz-3-2ghz-spectrum-analyzer-review-teardown-experiments/

@rf-loop, might you like to add it to the OP ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #658 on: September 13, 2017, 09:32:32 am »
New FW for SSA3000X

Version:
V1.2.8.5
2017/9/10

1. This firmware must be upgraded from V1.2.8.1 or later.
If your SSA3000X has an earlier version, please update to V1.2.8.1 first and then proceed to update to the latest version.

2. Add 1 Hz/3 Hz RBW function.
3. Fixed some bugs on SCPI.
4. Fixed some bugs on sweep, Log scale, and display.

Then:

SSA3032X price reduced.

Then also:

Limited time offer for SSA3000X new SSA's: Tracking Generator option free.
Note:
- All the SSA3000X series spectrum analyzers must be newly purchased from an authorized SIGLENT distributor .
- The TG option is a limited time offer!
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

The following users thanked this post: videobruce, N8AUM

Offline Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #659 on: September 13, 2017, 10:23:55 am »
Telnet access is still possible after firmware upgrade.

Regards,
Vitor

Offline Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #660 on: September 13, 2017, 10:25:49 am »
I can only go with RBW as low as 10Hz.

Am I doing something wrong?

Regards,
Vitor

Siglent America

« Reply #661 on: September 13, 2017, 12:48:20 pm »
Here is a link to the new firmware which will give you the 1 Hz and 3 Hz RBW settings:

http://siglentamerica.com/prodcut-gjjrj.aspx?id=5113&tid=227&T=2

Note: The newer higher resolution settings do not actually provide a lower DANL. Your noise level should remain the same as when you use a 10 Hz setting. Also, if there is no signal being inputted into the SA, the baseline will appear flat.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 12:51:50 pm by Siglent America »

The following users thanked this post: N8AUM

Offline Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #662 on: September 13, 2017, 12:51:04 pm »
I already installed it successfully, but only get down to 10Hz (for that I have to use a small span, i.e. 1MHz or less).
What do I have to do get 1Hz? I already tried setting a 1KHz span, but no success.

Regards,
Vitor
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 01:33:07 pm by Bicurico »

Siglent America

« Reply #663 on: September 13, 2017, 01:51:06 pm »
Please stand by on this.
Our beta version here in Ohio worked fine last week, it was released today but when we installed the new released version we are also having trouble.

We will post an update - hopefully tomorrow.
Thanks

The following users thanked this post: rf-loop, N8AUM

Offline Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #664 on: September 13, 2017, 01:56:16 pm »
No sweat! I was just trying and thought I had forgotten some setting.

Regards,
Vitor

Offline videobruce

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #665 on: September 13, 2017, 02:33:45 pm »
Has any of these been addressed??

1. Changing RBW and/or VBW settings (in manual mode) changes sweep speeds. Everytime one adjusts either setting the sweep speed slows down one step. This continues to happen even if you return the setting to where it was. The sweep speed keeps slowing. I never encountered this before and it is REAL annoying. (see below)
5. The 'standby mode' is a power hog by todays standards. Five watts running 24/7 shouldn't be acceptable anymore. That's 1/6th of the operational current (28-29 watts). I assume this has wake on LAN or similar? Fine, but does it have to be that much of a hog? How about a option to disable and 'wake' mode to get the draw down below 1 watt (EPA standard)? At least that would be a somewhat quick fix, assuming it can be done thru the firmware.
6. A option to blank out the ridiculously long default name/number assigned to saved screen shots. Considering that the time & date is in the instrument directory and when copied to a flash drive, there isn't any real need for it to be the file name. Deleting it one digit at a time is even more annoying.

Setup conditions for #1 (easy to duplicate):
1. Place the RBW, VBW & Sweep settings all in manual mode. Set the two bandwidths to a middle setting. Settings for the attenuator or units shouldn't matter. No signal is required.
2. Change the Sweep to the fastest setting (usually 24ms)
3. Set the frequency range to whatever you want[/b], the full bandwidth is fine though I never have a need for that. My ranges are usually between 50 & 500 Mhz.
4. Go to the BW page and start changing either of the two adjustments paying attention to the sweep speed. You can use either the 'jog' dial or the up/down buttons. You will see it drop to the next slower speed.
5. Now, here where it gets more interesting, return to the previous setting. Note the sweep speed still slowing instead of returning to where it was.Everytime you make any adjustment to either the RBW or the VBW in either direction the sweep slows down to the next fixed setting forcing one to return to the sweep page and crank to back to the fastest setting allowed. Trying to get a respectable display is a real chore jumping back and forth between BW & Sweep.

With further testing I did find a couple of exceptions where the speed reversed direction, but only to a certain extent.

Offline bozidarms

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #666 on: September 13, 2017, 04:55:03 pm »
Problems within file management system - Unable to delete files even thou the function button is there!

Offline N8AUM

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #667 on: September 14, 2017, 03:18:15 pm »
New firmware seems to be working ok so far on my 3032X
I hope it also fixes my TG from randomly turning off and wont turn on without a hard reset.
heres screenshot of my old HP-8656B set at 1MHz at -100dbm.
73  N8AUM

Siglent America

« Reply #668 on: September 14, 2017, 04:45:20 pm »
Please stand by on this.
Our beta version here in Ohio worked fine last week, it was released today but when we installed the new released version we are also having trouble.

We will post an update - hopefully tomorrow.
Thanks

OK - Problem solved!
Someone on our end accidentally posted the incorrect file.

Now, if you download the new rar file (V1.2.8.5-EN.rar) from the Siglent website the upgrade (ADS) file will be named
V1.2.8.5.ADS
We tested it here in Ohio and it works as it should.

However, if you had already downloaded the previous version of the ADS file and the 1 Hz and 3 Hz RBW values are not accessible, please download the new ADS version as above.  Your instrument may now boot up in Chinese. If so, simply go to the SYSTEM button and select LANGUAGE (first selection) from the menu. Then choose English, or whatever you want, EVEN if it is already selected. You should be up and running correctly now.

If you have any problems then you can contact us at
info@Siglent.com

We apologize for the error.
Siglent America

Offline Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #669 on: September 14, 2017, 04:47:54 pm »
No sweat!

Just tested it - it now works as it should.

Also, I confirm that my SSA3021X had Chinese active after the upgrade. However, thumbs up for the developers, as the SYSTEM -> LANGUAGE menu is always in English!

:-+

Regards,
Vitor
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 04:55:07 pm by Bicurico »

Offline Joel_l

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #670 on: September 14, 2017, 09:59:42 pm »
I notice something odd not sure if it existed before 8.5.

When I first turn on the SA and set say freq to 100MHz and span to 1 MHz, I cannot set a RBW below 10Hz.
If I then set freq to 50KHz and span to 10KHz, I can set RBW below 10Hz
If I now go back to freq 100MHz and span 1MHz I can set RBW below 10Hz

I have to redo the low freq steps again if I power cycle the SA.

edit: I set the SA above 1GHz and lost the RBW less than 10Hz, probably not a surprise, but when I went back to 100MHz and span 1MHz, I again could not set RBW less than 10Hz.

Is there a max frequency and span for this to work?

edit 2: playing some more I find the limits, basically span is the limiter before hitting a sweep time error. Higher center frequency, smaller span. I think this is good and normal.  There does still seem to be some oddness if I set an allowable 1Hz RBW setting, it seems to let me set some frequency and spans that wouldn't otherwise work.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 10:10:01 pm by Joel_l »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #671 on: September 15, 2017, 06:13:22 am »

When I first turn on the SA and set say freq to 100MHz and span to 1 MHz, I cannot set a RBW below 10Hz.

I have to redo the low freq steps again if I power cycle the SA.

edit: I set the SA above 1GHz and lost the RBW less than 10Hz, probably not a surprise, but when I went back to 100MHz and span 1MHz, I again could not set RBW less than 10Hz.

Is there a max frequency and span for this to work?

edit 2: playing some more I find the limits, basically span is the limiter before hitting a sweep time error. Higher center frequency, smaller span. I think this is good and normal.  There does still seem to be some oddness if I set an allowable 1Hz RBW setting, it seems to let me set some frequency and spans that wouldn't otherwise work.

Did you notice SSA screen message "Sweep time out of range". Perhaps it show too short time this msg  using small text bottom left corner in screen signal area.

1MHz span with 1Hz  RBW filters...

It is good to understand relationship with sweep time and RBW. (and with more wide RBW also sweep mode)

Example:
All to defaults and after then:
RBW 1Hz and  225kHz span. (max is 225.7kHz)
Center freq 10MHz or 100MHz or 1,6GHz or 3GHz. Sweep time is 1,77 ks. (1770 second)

(I have still older FW and not upgrade to latest until I'm sure all these "oops sorry" hassle is over. And in my unit 1Hz RBW have been even with FW 7.x versions.)

This principle in this picture text is very important to understand fully, even in case that SA itself mostly care about acceptable compromise settings automatically for user.
Text is from AN-150 what whole AN is nearly like mandatory basic fundamentals to read AND understand for everyone who play with SA's. Siglent SSA basic fundamental principles are same.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 06:40:39 am by rf-loop »

Offline Joel_l

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #672 on: September 15, 2017, 04:41:43 pm »
Yes, my edit 2 says says that I saw that ( that there is a limit ) and I understand what is going on. But the last part of the comment is still true. An otherwise invalid setting will work if you move from a valid one.

I think there is a page in the Siglent manual that discusses RBW setting limits, I will recheck there as well.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 01:53:53 pm by Joel_l »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #673 on: September 15, 2017, 06:42:25 pm »

Lets take this step by step for avoid mess.
I use FW 1.2.8.3 (RBW 1Hz unofficially available) I can not repeat this.
It goes like this:

- When I first turn on the SA and set say freq to 100MHz and span to 1 MHz, I cannot set a RBW below 10Hz. 
Yes.

Yes.

After then I go to 100MHz with RBW 1Hz. (span still 10kHz) and of course also ok.

This is unclear how you do this. (when you change freq from 50kHz to 100MHz do you keep 1Hz RBW and 10kHz span. How it can try reproduce if do not know exatly every step.)  but if I try change span now to  1MHz. Not possible.  Message "Sweep time out of range".

Offline Joel_l

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #674 on: September 15, 2017, 11:02:51 pm »
Start at frequency 50KHz and span 10KHz and set the RBW to 1HZ

Leave the RBW at 1Hz and set the frequency to 100MHz and the span to 1MHz.

Go back to RBW, it stays 1Hz ok and I can also change the RBW up and back down to 1Hz no issue.

Edit, I just had my ah ha moment. I went to take pictures so I could show what I was doing and realized that when I set span to 1 MHz, it was staying at 10KHz. No error message.
I guess all is good in the world again.

Joel
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 11:10:06 pm by Joel_l »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf