Author Topic: Tektronix THS7xxx Scope Hack/Teardown/Discussion - FW 1.16 found  (Read 146605 times)

Offline ZuccaTopic starter

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
Re: Tektronix THS7xxx Scope Hack/Teardown/Discussion - FW 1.16 found
« Reply #300 on: August 13, 2020, 11:00:41 am »
The mod and the update are gone perfectly and also after running the offset compensation just one time after the update the dc issue wanishes completly. No recal.

Ciao Giacomo,
so you did not perform a full calibration after the upgrade? Are you sure it is still in spec?
AFAIK the cal parameters are stored in the AM29F080, and you should have the calibration parameters of yaromka in your unit...
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline harrimansat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #301 on: August 13, 2020, 11:11:11 am »
Can you please share 1.14 firmware?

Thanks

Offline giacomo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #302 on: August 13, 2020, 11:47:08 am »
The mod and the update are gone perfectly and also after running the offset compensation just one time after the update the dc issue wanishes completly. No recal.

Ciao Giacomo,
so you did not perform a full calibration after the upgrade? Are you sure it is still in spec?
AFAIK the cal parameters are stored in the AM29F080, and you should have the calibration parameters of yaromka in your unit...

I can't say that, for now i only tried the square signal for the probe compensation. I was interested to elinate the dc issue and i reported that once it has been disappear. So i screwed up the calibration in my unit without thinking about..

By the way when i turned on the scope after the upgrade to the 1.16 the dc issue was still present as before, but this time the signal path compensation has worked, once and for all it seems, before it did not correct the problem.

Thanks

Why you would the 1.14 when you can get the 1.16 ? I had the 1.11 if you was asking to me
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 02:36:36 pm by giacomo »

Offline harrimansat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #303 on: August 13, 2020, 11:55:48 am »

Ciao Giacomo,

I can't say that, for now i only tried the signal for the probe compensation. I was interested to elinate the dc issue and i reported that once it has been disappear. So i screwed up the calibration in my unit without thinking about..

By the way when i turned on the scope after the upgrade to the 1.16 the dc issue was still present as before, but this time the signal path compensation has worked, once and for all it seems, before it did not correct the problem.

Thanks

Why you would the 1.14 when you can get the 1.16 ? I had the 1.11 if you was asking to me

hi, can you please share 1.14 firmware?

Thanks

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #304 on: August 13, 2020, 12:52:21 pm »

Yeah, if you don't tell us why we will not give you the 1.14  :horse:  ^-^

Offline giacomo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #305 on: August 13, 2020, 01:05:48 pm »
i got in contact with the harrimansat and even the 1.11 is ok for him, so i sent it in private

But since my unit has been purchase as not working due to the dc issue, as first guess, my firmware would bring the problem back, so i am not sharing it in the forum, it could be a sorce of throuble if someone read the thread too fast and flash his unit with my firmware

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #306 on: August 13, 2020, 01:13:20 pm »
Thanks Giacomo,

I forgot to welcome you to this amazing forum. I fully agree with you.
Well done bro.

The following users thanked this post: giacomo

Offline harrimansat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #307 on: August 13, 2020, 03:46:23 pm »
Thanks, it will be interesting to have more dumps to knob where is calibration data

The following users thanked this post: giacomo

Offline superman13

• Contributor
« Reply #308 on: August 14, 2020, 05:50:12 pm »
Thanks, it will be interesting to have more dumps to knob where is calibration data

For this we should get same version of firmware from different samples...

Or if someone can perform calibration process and provide an Dump before and after...
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 05:58:54 pm by superman13 »

Offline giacomo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #309 on: August 14, 2020, 06:58:53 pm »
Here is the 1.11 that was in the 710a with the dc problem

The following users thanked this post: walter.aranda

Offline 1audio

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #310 on: September 06, 2020, 05:11:22 am »
My backlight is very dimmed, I believe the lamp is showing its age. Does anyone have replaced the lamp or added a LED upgrade?

I have done both now. Unfortunately the LED is not much brighter than the CCFL lamp. The LCD and optics just are not that bright. However it is a transreflective display so you can see it with the lamp off but in bright light it's not easy to read. I have the two side by side. Its useable but nowhere near as readable as a current LCD scope display. I would just put a new lamp in (cheap and not hard) and move on.

The following users thanked this post: scottie4442

Offline jal1234

• Contributor
« Reply #311 on: November 08, 2020, 03:02:55 am »
Could somebody who has a pair of calipers do some measurements on the battery door/lid/cap that holds the battery pack in? Mine is missing on my THS720a. I have the metal piece that latches into place, but I'm completely missing the rest of it. I assume there is a groove for an oring to seal the compartment, but I'm not sure. A rough drawing with measurements would be ideal. I was hoping someone might have a 3D printed version, but I haven't been able to find anything.
Thanks in advance.

Offline Gae

• Contributor
« Reply #312 on: December 26, 2020, 11:33:27 am »
Yeah !
What a great post about this scope !

I have a question about this scope: I could buy one for about 260€, seeing it's a quite "old" design (from the 90's ?) is it worth to get it at this price ? They sell it on "good conditions" with very little use... but of course batteries will be maybe out of order ... and I see they have quite a problem with expensive replacement.
The use will be mainly for audio, don't really need 100MHz but a handled scope is functional for me becouse I may have to repair "in situ" some times.

I have an Hantek DSO8060 but I don't think it's a good scope, the screem is not very accurate and I have problems with after just a few month of use...

Thanks for your help.

Online HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #313 on: December 26, 2020, 12:57:53 pm »
Yeah !
What a great post about this scope !

I have a question about this scope: I could buy one for about 260€, seeing it's a quite "old" design (from the 90's ?) is it worth to get it at this price ? They sell it on "good conditions" with very little use... but of course batteries will be maybe out of order ... and I see they have quite a problem with expensive replacement.
The use will be mainly for audio, don't really need 100MHz but a handled scope is functional for me becouse I may have to repair "in situ" some times.

I have an Hantek DSO8060 but I don't think it's a good scope, the screem is not very accurate and I have problems with after just a few month of use...

Thanks for your help.

At 260 Euro in good condition it is still a good scope to have, if you need a portable scope.
Depending on the model you even get two isolated channels and that is a big benefit as well for some applications.

I am still using my THS720p on a regular basis, although I probably have plenty of other and modern scopes.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

The following users thanked this post: Gae

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #314 on: December 26, 2020, 01:04:02 pm »
The major values of this scope are portable and fully isolated at each channel that are suitable for HV works.

If you're buying this at the price, just for low voltage probing as common usage to replace you current Hantek, then I think its a bit of waste, as that kind of money can be used to buy new and more decent or much better DSO.

Also you must take note especially with this scope, you have to use with the HV probes in order to use it at HV probing as where it good at, and these alone if the seller does not supply it, these HV probes, even the Chinese made ones are not that cheap either compared to ordinary cheap x10 scope's probes.

For sure its out of warranty already.

Edit : Almost forgot, the LCD backlight is NOT LED based (CFL), which has much higher risk that it will be dead at anytime soon.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 01:10:52 pm by BravoV »

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, Gae

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #315 on: December 26, 2020, 07:59:48 pm »
The major values of this scope are portable and fully isolated at each channel that are suitable for HV works.

This! +1000 times! Very important point!

The following users thanked this post: Gae

Offline Gae

• Contributor
« Reply #316 on: December 31, 2020, 03:02:30 pm »
Many thanks for the comments.

Yes, I agree, I already have a DSO scope (not very good) and I'll save for a analogic one.

Maybe an Hameg HM408 or a Tek 453 or a Philips PM3267 at about 100€. Witch one would be most recommandable for audio repair only ?
 :bullshit:

Offline r_anton

« Reply #317 on: January 17, 2021, 06:39:34 pm »
Hello all
I've bought THS730 version of the scope and after successful calibration it shows a ripple about 40mV peak-to-peak and the DC offset flows with time between -20..+20mV

Is any way to improve it ?

Thank you

Offline harrimansat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #318 on: January 17, 2021, 07:20:26 pm »
Hello all
I've bought THS730 version of the scope and after successful calibration it shows a ripple about 40mV peak-to-peak and the DC offset flows with time between -20..+20mV

Is any way to improve it ?

Thank you

I will test with mine, can you please upolado some photos, whic is noise frequency?

Offline r_anton

« Reply #319 on: January 18, 2021, 08:35:19 am »
I will test with mine, can you please upolado some photos, whic is noise frequency?

Hello

These are the photos without and with probe
FV:v1.14

Thanx for reply
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 08:50:26 am by r_anton »

Offline harrimansat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #320 on: January 18, 2021, 09:47:21 am »

Hello

These are the photos without and with probe
FV:v1.14

Thanx for reply

Do you have more noise without probe?

Offline r_anton

« Reply #321 on: January 18, 2021, 09:59:05 am »
Quote from: harrimansat link=topic=35004.msg3419836#msg3419836

a little bit more without probe and it has a kind of periodic type, with probe it become random. What is strange, like on the second foto, I don't see on the wave form measured peak-to-peak value of 23mV (often it's 40mV)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 10:02:47 am by r_anton »

Offline harrimansat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #322 on: January 18, 2021, 10:19:13 am »
Quote from: harrimansat link=topic=35004.msg3419836#msg3419836

a little bit more without probe and it has a kind of periodic type, with probe it become random. What is strange, like on the second foto, I don't see on the wave form measured peak-to-peak value of 23mV (often it's 40mV)

Can you please make the same test in AC, and GND, and then shorted?

Offline r_anton

« Reply #323 on: January 18, 2021, 10:30:10 am »
Can you please make the same test in AC, and GND, and then shorted?

Of course, thanx for helping

Offline harrimansat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #324 on: January 18, 2021, 12:27:03 pm »
Mine has the same behaviour:

If scope don´t meassure nothing with shorted inputs, it usually means it's ok.

Think that this scope has isolated gnd and it has more noise when then are not connected

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf