Author Topic: Tektronix TDS500/600/700 NVRAM floppy backup and restore tool  (Read 30615 times)

Offline ragge

• Regular Contributor
Re: Tektronix TDS500/600/700 NVRAM floppy backup and restore tool
« Reply #75 on: April 28, 2020, 12:21:50 am »
Yes, making backups works.

Silly question, the .jar file is only need on the PC, right?  Or do I need to put the jar file on the floppy as well?

If making backups works, you are doing it correctly. I would then suggest trying the "simple" version.

Yes, the .jar file is only for being run on a computer with Java installed, there is no use in putting it on the floppy disk.

Offline fitch

• Contributor
« Reply #76 on: April 28, 2020, 12:48:28 am »
Got it to work.  I looked at the differences between nvwrite.app and nvdump.app.  In nvdump, there was a delay at the start that was 10X the delay in nvwrite.  I changed line 3 of nvwrite.app to:
taskDelay (600)

And the above worked.

Now, for my scope, I did have to flip the switch because without it, nothing changed.  When I wrote the nvram with the switch flipped, my original options showed up and the date went back to the day I dumped the old ones.  I had good confirmation that things were written.

And, my channel DC offsets that showed up with the new rams were gone.  I am happy now.

Thanks for your help.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77 on: April 28, 2020, 04:26:34 am »
OK, flipping the switch does not change the behavior.

I get the floppy to light, then I see the Java splash screen, then the floppy gets accessed some more, but it appears to not actually do anything, it just goes to the screen that says self test passed.  If I wait, that screen clears, and waiting longer does not help.  No messages.

Tried reformatting the floppy and putting fresh files on it.  No joy.  I am afraid to try the minimal version, I would hate to scrog the scope.

Any ideas?

I ended up using the minimal version, I couldn't get the other version to work at all, the scope seemed to just boot up normally. The minimal one worked exactly as described, I only used the NVRAM script, I didn't write the calibration eeproms.

Offline Rollin Hand

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #78 on: May 13, 2020, 04:18:26 pm »
I downloaded the java application ,
how do you use Checksum verifier tool under dos ?can you explain
Thanks

Offline OscarM

« Reply #79 on: May 25, 2020, 10:35:43 pm »
A great tool. Thank you.
Help sought:
Attempting to dump NVRAM and EEPROM data from a real TDS784D 'scope before the NVRAM fails (no sign of that seen yet)
Firmware shows  'FV: v6.6e'
Process:
Take floppy and run dosfsck check on it. Shows clean (I think this will check for bad clusters)
Format floppy in 'scope
Copy startup.bat and dumpall.app from 'tdsNvramFloppyTool-extra' to floppy
Turn off all traces and stop triggering on 'scope
Insert floppy into 'scope and cycle power.
Once finished move floppy to PC.
Then check the checksums.
EEPROM data checksum is OK but even after 4 attempts the NVRAM checksum fails.
Using this command:
java -cp TDSNvrCV_2_1.jar TDSNvramChecksumVerifier NVRAM.BIN
Attached are the output of TDSNvramChecksumVerifier and NVRAM.BIN
Maybe this is all because I have a Firmware version that hasn't been seen here before in which case maybe the attached file is of value?
In which case I assume that I shouldn;t be worried about the checksum failure.
Remove the .txt suffix.
Sorry to be verbose. I am trying for efficiency.
Thank you in advance for any constructive comments.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 12:07:20 am by OscarM »

Offline mbirth

• Contributor
« Reply #80 on: June 03, 2020, 06:00:50 pm »
Quote from: EngelenH on 2020-02-19, 14:37:01
Thus giving your scope a USB port instead of a floppy. Would this script still work on such a device? I would link which device I am referring to but not sure on forum policy in the matter. They are easy to find.

Yes, it works with a slight issue.
To elaborate: The only adapter I could find that fits into the scope and has the correct connector is the Gotek SFR1M44-DU26/-TU26 (DU/TU specify the location/orientation of the connector, I've got the DU26 in my TDS784D). This one has NO LED display and works a bit different compared to the other Goteks (with original firmware).
It has an internal memory of 1.44MB, so even without any USB stick plugged, the scope will see a floppy and can write/read to/from it. (However, everything written to it can't be copied to the "outside world". See below.)
There are 2 buttons and a LED on the front. The layout is like this: [-USB-]  [LED]  [BTNOUT] [BTNIN] GOTEK
The USB stick has to be formatted in FAT32 and 1GB or larger. No special file format is needed. No *.img floppy images or anything. Just normal files.
Now if you plug such USB stick, the Gotek will empty the internal floppy image and copy the first few file(s) from the USB into it until it's full (1.44MB). These files will show up on the scope even if you remove the USB. If you need different files, you can press BTNIN to copy the next max. 1.44MB of files - repeat until you see the files you want.
If the scope writes anything at this point, it goes into the internal memory of the Gotek. To get files ONTO the USB, you will have to enable "OUT" mode on the Gotek first by pushing BTNOUT. The LED on the Gotek will light up constantly. However, this will empty the internal floppy image, so the scope will see an empty floppy at that moment. But every new file written by the scope goes right onto the USB drive (files already on the USB won't be touched). Once finished, press BTNOUT again to unmount/eject the USB (LED turns off) to be able to remove it.

So to get a dump file, you'll have to plug the USB (with only the dump app on it - it will automatically be copied into the internal floppy of the Gotek and visible on the scope), run the Application and in the 6 seconds the application waits before it starts dumping, press BTNOUT to enable writing to USB (Gotek-LED turns on). The app should start dumping, but once finished, since the scope can't continue reading the app now (from the scope's view the file is "gone"), it will hang at "dump to floppy started, please wait". So just wait for like 10 minutes which should be more than enough, then press BTNOUT until the LED turns off and switch off the scope. You should find the DUMP.BIN on your USB now.

Offline mbirth

• Contributor
« Reply #81 on: June 03, 2020, 06:31:14 pm »
Quote from: Galen on 2019-03-02, 07:15:22
Problem solved! The solution is 'flip the calibration/write protection switch'. As Flyte's update in this post, flip the switch when the floppy drive light for the first time; when re-starting, flip this switch back to protect position.

Using this magic, I added 2C option for my scope. Check through the COMM function buttons, all there same with the user manual stated. Thanks Flyte, again!
Note: You can also run the APP file manually after boot. So without the floppy inserted, boot the scope normally. Insert floppy, press SETUP, choose the APP, flip switch if you're attempting to write, run APP, done.

Also: Instead of writing the whole NVRAM dump back with the risk of things going REALLY wrong due to a bad floppy or so, why not have a look at the app script and noticing that GpibInput() is the same as sending commands via GPIB ... so you can send the famous password followed by "that ATPUT command" to flip the bits. Much safer than risking a bad NVRAM (if your memory addresses are correct).

Offline eKretz

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #82 on: October 11, 2020, 08:40:24 am »
Finally got around to picking up a USB floppy drive for my laptop, so I figured I'd better get cracking and back up the NVRAM and EEPROM data from my TDS754D FW V6.3e (upgraded to 784, like many here). Both dumps worked flawlessly, checksum verifier gave them the a-ok. I opened the NVRAM dump in HxD and verified that my factory options were correct, they were fine. Then I decided to add 2C for the heck of it. Flipped the byte at the correct address and tried to write. No dice without flipping the protect switch. Tried again, this time flipped the switch right before the write operation and flipped it back before reboot. All good now. Before and after splash screens below.

Offline gdwiggins

« Reply #83 on: November 27, 2020, 11:32:46 pm »
I just replaced the defective EEPROMS in the acquisition board in my TDS754D(firmware 7.2e)--does anyone have a copy of their cal for this firmware?  Was getting 250nv storage too small errors (plus much more) before replacing the EEPROMS, now just Libs with crcc failures and extended cal librarian reset--I assume it will go away with a calibration.

Yes, I realize I need a cal but I want to see a successful boot before I spend $$ on a suitable signal generator (I do have the cal software running on an ancient PC).  Currently the EEPROMS are all set to the default of all 1s.

Thanks,  David

Offline Tantratron

• Frequent Contributor
  • Radio DSP Plasma
    • Tantratron
« Reply #84 on: November 28, 2020, 05:15:24 am »
I just replaced the defective EEPROMS in the acquisition board in my TDS754D(firmware 7.2e)--does anyone have a copy of their cal for this firmware?  Was getting 250nv storage too small errors (plus much more) before replacing the EEPROMS, now just Libs with crcc failures and extended cal librarian reset--I assume it will go away with a calibration.

Yes, I realize I need a cal but I want to see a successful boot before I spend $$ on a suitable signal generator (I do have the cal software running on an ancient PC).  Currently the EEPROMS are all set to the default of all 1s.

Thanks,  David

Hi David,

I was in similar failure and situation as yourself, you might try this specific method I've done requiring an arduino https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/attempting-repair-eeprom-voltage-increase-method/msg3011456/#msg3011456

In my case, one EEPROM was partially failed which would flag the ASIC unable to read hence 250nv error. Once I recovered both EEPROM's content, I re-loaded the HEX file thanks to Floppy method.

Good luck, Albert

The following users thanked this post: james_s

Offline Tantratron

• Frequent Contributor
  • Radio DSP Plasma
    • Tantratron
« Reply #85 on: November 30, 2020, 05:53:30 am »
Quote from: EngelenH on 2020-02-19, 14:37:01
Thus giving your scope a USB port instead of a floppy. Would this script still work on such a device? I would link which device I am referring to but not sure on forum policy in the matter. They are easy to find.

Yes, it works with a slight issue.
To elaborate: The only adapter I could find that fits into the scope and has the correct connector is the Gotek SFR1M44-DU26/-TU26 (DU/TU specify the location/orientation of the connector, I've got the DU26 in my TDS784D). This one has NO LED display and works a bit different compared to the other Goteks (with original firmware).
It has an internal memory of 1.44MB, so even without any USB stick plugged, the scope will see a floppy and can write/read to/from it. (However, everything written to it can't be copied to the "outside world". See below.)
There are 2 buttons and a LED on the front. The layout is like this: [-USB-]  [LED]  [BTNOUT] [BTNIN] GOTEK
The USB stick has to be formatted in FAT32 and 1GB or larger. No special file format is needed. No *.img floppy images or anything. Just normal files.
Now if you plug such USB stick, the Gotek will empty the internal floppy image and copy the first few file(s) from the USB into it until it's full (1.44MB). These files will show up on the scope even if you remove the USB. If you need different files, you can press BTNIN to copy the next max. 1.44MB of files - repeat until you see the files you want.
If the scope writes anything at this point, it goes into the internal memory of the Gotek. To get files ONTO the USB, you will have to enable "OUT" mode on the Gotek first by pushing BTNOUT. The LED on the Gotek will light up constantly. However, this will empty the internal floppy image, so the scope will see an empty floppy at that moment. But every new file written by the scope goes right onto the USB drive (files already on the USB won't be touched). Once finished, press BTNOUT again to unmount/eject the USB (LED turns off) to be able to remove it.

So to get a dump file, you'll have to plug the USB (with only the dump app on it - it will automatically be copied into the internal floppy of the Gotek and visible on the scope), run the Application and in the 6 seconds the application waits before it starts dumping, press BTNOUT to enable writing to USB (Gotek-LED turns on). The app should start dumping, but once finished, since the scope can't continue reading the app now (from the scope's view the file is "gone"), it will hang at "dump to floppy started, please wait". So just wait for like 10 minutes which should be more than enough, then press BTNOUT until the LED turns off and switch off the scope. You should find the DUMP.BIN on your USB now.

I'm not sure to fully understand how to use this GOTEK, the role of each button and the sequence of plug, remove...

So far, I've only installed the BAT executable called tdsAcqEEPROMMinimalFloppyDumper which aims to make a local copy of EEPROM. The toogle switch of my TDS784D is OFF so no risk of bricking anything if something went wrong with the GOTEK. The Gotek was plug in on the USB then I start the TDS784D then will go to then press SETUP to finally display the content (FILE UTILITIES).

As you can see on the attached picture, the initial empty USB-floppy emulation does contain the EEPROM.BIN but I do not understand what I need to do in order to have it copy in the GOTEK then read later on my computer ?

The GOTEK in my TDS784D has two press buttons but no idea how to use them.

Thank you, Albert

Offline Tantratron

• Frequent Contributor
  • Radio DSP Plasma
    • Tantratron
« Reply #86 on: December 01, 2020, 09:21:29 am »
Following my previous post where I notice actually that once the USB stick is removed, the TDS is power OFF then later or next day power ON, the Gotek seems to store and keep its last content, the DUMPING application as well as the EEPROM.BIN file, see attached picture.

Does anyone knows how I can have the GOTEK emulator content copied locally to my USB stick ?

Offline mbirth

• Contributor
« Reply #87 on: December 01, 2020, 09:28:45 am »

Quote from: Tantratron on Today at 01:21:29
Does anyone knows how I can have the GOTEK emulator content copied locally to my USB stick ?

Did you not read my big blob of text where I explain how these type of GOTEKs work?

Offline Tantratron

• Frequent Contributor
  • Radio DSP Plasma
    • Tantratron
« Reply #88 on: December 01, 2020, 09:36:46 am »
Did you not read my big blob of text where I explain how these type of GOTEKs work?
Yes I have in the last 2 days but in my case, it does not work per your instructions so maybe my GOTEK has not the same part number or internal jumpers set similar to yours.

Offline mbirth

• Contributor
« Reply #89 on: December 01, 2020, 09:41:35 am »

Quote from: Tantratron on Today at 01:36:46

>Quote from: mbirth on Today at 01:28:45

Yes I have in the last 2 days but in my case, it does not work per your instructions so maybe my GOTEK has not the same part number or internal jumpers set similar to yours.

Are you sure? The button next to the USB port and LED should be the "OUT" button. With a USB stick attached pressing that button, the LED should light up constantly. Any file written during this time should end up on the USB stick. After writing files (e.g. a screenshot), press that button again so the LED turns off. Then you can remove the USB drive and should find the new file on there.

Maybe your buttons are swapped, though. But you can easily test this - if the LED lights up constantly after pressing a button, that's the BTNOUT.

Offline Tantratron

• Frequent Contributor
  • Radio DSP Plasma
    • Tantratron
« Reply #90 on: December 01, 2020, 10:04:00 am »
Are you sure? The button next to the USB port and LED should be the "OUT" button. With a USB stick attached pressing that button, the LED should light up constantly. Any file written during this time should end up on the USB stick. After writing files (e.g. a screenshot), press that button again so the LED turns off. Then you can remove the USB drive and should find the new file on there.

Maybe your buttons are swapped, though. But you can easily test this - if the LED lights up constantly after pressing a button, that's the BTNOUT.

I've done different combinations, tests without any success so far.

However I do confirm that once pressing the OUT button (close to USB connector),a blue LED will come up and stay then if pressing again, it will disappear. The behavior of the IN button is different, the blue LED will come then after few seconds will automatically disappear.

Could you just re-confirm exactly the time sequence of insert, button push in your case.

What I've done so far, first the EEPROM dumping application is copied on my USB stick. I insert the stick in the TDS then turn ON the TDS which will boot. Once booting is complete, as you saw on my previous screen shots, the emulated of Floppy does contain the application and its output, namely the EEPROM.BIN

At what precise moment do you press the OUT button to have the result being copied in the stick ?

Thank again for your patience, Albert

Offline mbirth

• Contributor
« Reply #91 on: December 01, 2020, 11:28:41 am »

Quote from: Tantratron on Today at 02:04:00

However I do confirm that once pressing the OUT button (close to USB connector),a blue LED will come up and stay then if pressing again, it will disappear. The behavior of the IN button is different, the blue LED will come then after few seconds will automatically disappear.

Yes, that's exactly the same behaviour I'm seeing with my device. The OUT button activates the USB drive for output. As long as the LED is lit, all files saved to the "floppy" end up on the USB. When pressing OUT again, the USB drive is ejected and all files written to floppy then end up in the internal memory area of the GOTEK again (from which they can never be copied to USB).

Pressing IN reads the files from the USB and copies them into the internal memory area of the GOTEK. That's why you see the blue LED only lighting up for a short time. Once the files are copied, the LED turns off again. If you have more than 1.44MB of files on the USB, you can press the IN button again to copy the next few files into the internal memory area (removing the previously copied files from there).

Could you just re-confirm exactly the time sequence of insert, button push in your case.

At what precise moment do you press the OUT button to have the result being copied in the stick ?

• Instead of the MinimalFloppyDumper, copy only the acqedump.app from tdsAcqEEPROMFloppyDumper to your USB
  • Plug USB with the dump script on it
  • Press IN once to copy the script into the internal memory area and make it available to the scope
  • On the scope, go to SETUP --> Select Application, navigate to the floppy and the correct file (ACQEDUMP.APP) and prepare to press Activate Application
  • Put a finger on the OUT button on the GOTEK
  • Press "Activate Application" and wait for 2-3 seconds, then press the OUT button (the application has a 6 seconds delay after startup), LED should light up constantly on the GOTEK
  • Wait about 5-10 minutes - that should be more than enough for the dump to be written. (Since the GOTEK is now in "OUT" mode, the scope can't read the rest of the APP file, so the dumper tool will just hang after dumping and you won't know when it's finished.)
  • Press OUT on the GOTEK so it ejects the USB. Once the LED turns off, remove the USB and check on your PC if you can find the dump on it. Power cycle the scope or abort the running App to get out of the waiting screen.
If you don't find the output file (ACQEEPRM.BIN) on your USB drive, repeat the process and maybe experiment with some of the timings. E.g. wait a bit longer after pressing "Activate Application" before pressing "OUT" on the GOTEK. Or wait a bit longer before you eject the USB.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 11:31:29 am by mbirth »

The following users thanked this post: Tantratron

Offline Tantratron

• Frequent Contributor
  • Radio DSP Plasma
    • Tantratron
« Reply #92 on: December 01, 2020, 01:59:20 pm »

• Instead of the MinimalFloppyDumper, copy only the acqedump.app from tdsAcqEEPROMFloppyDumper to your USB
  • Plug USB with the dump script on it
  • Press IN once to copy the script into the internal memory area and make it available to the scope
  • On the scope, go to SETUP --> Select Application, navigate to the floppy and the correct file (ACQEDUMP.APP) and prepare to press Activate Application
  • Put a finger on the OUT button on the GOTEK
  • Press "Activate Application" and wait for 2-3 seconds, then press the OUT button (the application has a 6 seconds delay after startup), LED should light up constantly on the GOTEK
  • Wait about 5-10 minutes - that should be more than enough for the dump to be written. (Since the GOTEK is now in "OUT" mode, the scope can't read the rest of the APP file, so the dumper tool will just hang after dumping and you won't know when it's finished.)
  • Press OUT on the GOTEK so it ejects the USB. Once the LED turns off, remove the USB and check on your PC if you can find the dump on it. Power cycle the scope or abort the running App to get out of the waiting screen.
If you don't find the output file (ACQEEPRM.BIN) on your USB drive, repeat the process and maybe experiment with some of the timings. E.g. wait a bit longer after pressing "Activate Application" before pressing "OUT" on the GOTEK. Or wait a bit longer before you eject the USB.
Many thanks @mbirth, I've done as you explained above and it worked fine now. In fact I did not wait 5-10min but only say 1min then put the USB stick ito my MacBook Air.

So it seems the trick is to kind of know blindly or by time guess what status the APP or the BAT is running to then force the OUT on the Gotek.

Again thank you so much...

Have you done the same with Gotek where this is time to WRITE the EEPROM.BIN into the 2 real I2C eeprom soldered on the acquisition board ?

I did this few months ago with real floppy drive to repair the University TDS540C, it worked great where of course, it is risky since we need to enable the protection switch.

Just curious if you have done successfully with the Gotek and what was your presse-release sequence ?

Albert

Offline mbirth

• Contributor
« Reply #93 on: December 01, 2020, 02:12:12 pm »

Quote from: Tantratron on Today at 05:59:20

Have you done the same with Gotek where this is time to WRITE the EEPROM.BIN into the 2 real I2C eeprom soldered on the acquisition board ?

I did this few months ago with real floppy drive to repair the University TDS540C, it worked great where of course, it is risky since we need to enable the protection switch.

Just curious if you have done successfully with the Gotek and what was your presse-release sequence ?

Glad it worked out! :)

The other way around is wayyyy easier. Just put the files you want to flash onto the USB, insert it into the GOTEK, press the "IN" button so all files should pop up on the internal memory area. Then you can remove the USB and consider the "floppy" inserted. So if you restart the scope, it will run STARTUP.BAT and do the flashing. Once you don't want it to flash again upon startup, you can connect the USB and press OUT, wait a bit, press it again and the internal memory area should be blank again.

Although I must admit apart from using a script to issue a few GPIB-commands to unlock features, I didn't flash anything yet.

Offline Rburley

« Reply #94 on: February 25, 2021, 09:43:59 pm »
Hi I have a tds 644a I think the nvram may be failing will your program help me to back up the nvram and when I replace the chip reinstall the nvram image, I have not tried any thing like this  I can replace the chip OK if I can get one, I just need some help with the back up and restore, please help, ps I do not have a prgramer

Offline Lightbox Solar

« Reply #95 on: August 26, 2021, 12:07:59 am »
Firstly thanks for these tools - very impressive!

I've just acquired a Tek TDS744 (FW 1.0e, ser B010126) with a few issues - mostly noise on channel 2.

Before I attempt repair I thought it would be a good idea to do a backup of the NVRAM and EEPROM in case of failure later. The 'minimal' versions of the tools seem to have taken valid images of the NVRAM and EEPROM. However, when I run the checksum verifier on the NVRAM it doesn't seem like it's able to cope with the specifics of the TDS744:

Code: [Select]
Detected large file, considering dump an NVRAM dump

NO prototype match found for dump data, listing all interpretations known by this tool:

Interpretation of dump data as a firmware TDS524A-v3.8.7e based dump :
dump section=EXTCONST address=0x8ce size=0xfa checksum=INVALID (actual=0x5796 computed=0x39bf)
dump section=INTCONST address=0x1420 size=0x380 checksum=INVALID (actual=0x5f53 computed=0x986d)
dump section=STATE address=0x19fc size=0x716 checksum=INVALID (actual=0x41b8 computed=0xb896)
dump section=ENVIRONMENT address=0x1038 size=0x12c checksum=OK (actual=0x5c2e computed=0x5c2e)
dump section=DIAG address=0x1006 size=0x14 checksum=OK (actual=0x2c8 computed=0x2c8)
dump section=HWACCOUNTANT address=0x806 size=0x32 checksum=OK (actual=0x79 computed=0x79)

Interpretation of dump data as a firmware NVRAM-TDS684B-v4.3e based dump :
dump section=INTCONST address=0x1420 size=0x5d2 checksum=INVALID (actual=0x5f53 computed=0xd9f5)
dump section=STATE address=0x19fc size=0x9be checksum=INVALID (actual=0x41b8 computed=0xf605)
dump section=ENVIRONMENT address=0x1038 size=0x12c checksum=OK (actual=0x5c2e computed=0x5c2e)
dump section=DIAG address=0x1006 size=0x14 checksum=OK (actual=0x2c8 computed=0x2c8)
dump section=HWACCOUNTANT address=0x806 size=0x32 checksum=OK (actual=0x79 computed=0x79)

Interpretation of dump data as a firmware NVRAM-TDS784C-v5.2e based dump :
dump section=INTCONST address=0x2c20 size=0x70e checksum=INVALID (actual=0x0 computed=0xe1ee)
dump section=STATE address=0x33f0 size=0x11e4 checksum=INVALID (actual=0x0 computed=0x7d9c)
dump section=ENVIRONMENT address=0x2838 size=0x12c checksum=INVALID (actual=0x6400 computed=0x2926)
dump section=DIAG address=0x2806 size=0x14 checksum=INVALID (actual=0x3200 computed=0xea00)

Interpretation of dump data as a firmware NVRAM-TDS694C-v6.4e based dump :
dump section=INTCONST address=0x2c20 size=0x10b2 checksum=INVALID (actual=0x0 computed=0xfd35)
dump section=STATE address=0x3db4 size=0x9be checksum=INVALID (actual=0x0 computed=0x8250)
dump section=ENVIRONMENT address=0x2838 size=0x130 checksum=INVALID (actual=0x6400 computed=0x2c26)
dump section=DIAG address=0x2806 size=0x14 checksum=INVALID (actual=0x3200 computed=0xea00)

Interpretation of dump data as a firmware NVRAM-TDS784D-v7.4e based dump :
dump section=PFCAL address=0x1002 size=0x17fc checksum=INVALID (actual=0x6555 computed=0xf384)
dump section=INTCONST address=0x2c20 size=0x21aa checksum=INVALID (actual=0x0 computed=0x27b4)
dump section=STATE address=0x5330 size=0x11e4 checksum=INVALID (actual=0x6502 computed=0x2e7c)
dump section=ENVIRONMENT address=0x2838 size=0x12c checksum=INVALID (actual=0x6400 computed=0x2926)

I'm just a bit paranoid that I haven't got a good capture of the NVRAM - is there any way to tell?

I have attached a ZIP with the two dumps

Offline Tantratron

• Frequent Contributor
  • Radio DSP Plasma
    • Tantratron
« Reply #96 on: August 26, 2021, 10:32:31 am »
Firstly thanks for these tools - very impressive!

I've just acquired a Tek TDS744 (FW 1.0e, ser B010126) with a few issues - mostly noise on channel 2.

Before I attempt repair I thought it would be a good idea to do a backup of the NVRAM and EEPROM in case of failure later. The 'minimal' versions of the tools seem to have taken valid images of the NVRAM and EEPROM. However, when I run the checksum verifier on the NVRAM it doesn't seem like it's able to cope with the specifics of the TDS744:

I've restored and hacked few TDSxxx/C/D where my advice is to rather program a valid NVRAM content provided by a donor into your new NVRAM.

In the past, I did loose huge time the hard way thinking copy of NVRAM's from a partial bit rot NVRAM to be the way. It will brick your scope or create partial strange anomalies. The failure of the battery or the NVRAM's content is progressive, depends where in the memory, what it stores as critical.

Dumping the EEPROM is very OK, easy and recommended since it is PROM plus calibrated only into your specific acquisition board local defects but NVRAMs can be a nightmare but easy to clone from other valid TDS.

Albert
« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 11:52:52 am by Tantratron »

Offline TomT

• Contributor
« Reply #97 on: September 24, 2021, 02:22:02 am »
There is an exact functional replacement for the NV devices on eBay for the TDS700x, TDS600x, or TDS500x.  Seller kellyjo_13 designed and fabricates these devices with replaceable batteries, and includes sockets for $100 for the TDS700x/600x, and $50 for the TDS500x.  As for the TDS500x DS1650Y, it is pin compatible with the DS1250Y, but you might contact him/her, as he/she is quite helpful.  The listings are at: https://www.ebay.com/itm/302913384290. for the TDS700x/600x, or: https://www.ebay.com/itm/293843458213 for the TDS500x.

With my TDS784C, the batteries were still viable, and I was able to remove the Dallas parts, and read them with my TL866II, and program the kellyjo devices.  They have been in place since early 2019, and are working just fine.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 03:30:36 am by TomT »

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #98 on: October 21, 2021, 08:28:29 am »
On my early (S/N: B010511) TDS784C, the scripts did not work on firmware version 5.0e, but when I upgraded the firmware to 5.2e via GPIB as in the link below, now the scripts work fine.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/unified-tektool-released-!-(firmware-flash-tools-for-old-tds-series)/msg3758918/#msg3758918
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Offline PA3BMI

« Reply #99 on: January 22, 2022, 08:58:34 pm »
Hello Flyte,

How are you?

As I bought  recently a TDC 754C, I am very interested in your artikel about saving data. You write:  "Simply put the attachment's contents into an (old) FAT formatted floppy and start up the scope with
the disk mounted." Where can iI find the attachment??

Thank You for Your reply,

Ton, PA3BMI

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf