Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14971059 times)

Vince, URI, shakalnokturn and 109 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #35550 on: July 24, 2019, 10:13:56 pm »
So after several hours here's how the counters stack up against the PCOXO:

Fluke 7260A       10000.04kHz

Fluke 1912A       10000.05kHz

VC2000              9.99998MHz

2465DMS           9.999975MHz

Not too bad overall. The 2465DMS follows the VC2000 which makes sense. When I first got that scope years ago it was failing boot up for the counter being out of calibration. All I had at the time was the Chinese VC2000 so I had to use it along with the Heath IG-4244 to calibrate it. But now I can get a better cal now that I have this reference. Hello time nuttery.  :-DD

Oh...forgot about the Fluke 1900A. I'll have to get that guy warmed up.

you have taken the pebble from my hand.

it is time for you to go.

Remember always: a wise man walks with his head bowed, humble
like the dust.

master freqq
free range primate

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35551 on: July 24, 2019, 10:16:01 pm »
Argh kill me with a blunt hepatitis covered spork. I just had to process this auction title  :--

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333239109036

Offline bsudbrink

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #35552 on: July 24, 2019, 10:20:15 pm »
Argh kill me with a blunt hepatitis covered spork. I just had to process this auction title  :--

The following users thanked this post: worsthorse, bd139, factory

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #35553 on: July 24, 2019, 10:21:22 pm »
*snip* The zero knob has no effect. Neither does the null pot. However, since this is the first time I have a thermistor mount to test with, I don't know if it's the mount or all the meters (or both). :scared:

*snip*

The fine zero is a toggle switch, not a knob! I thought mine was broken as well till I realized this.  :-DD

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #35554 on: July 24, 2019, 10:23:25 pm »
These are all of the problems that scares me away from buying those power meters and heads :)

Annoying really because they're damn good

Yeah, I'm not sure what to do next. I'm just trying to get to a point where I can determine whether I should return it since it was used in "Used" condition, which means it should be functional.

Was it Kosmic who had some of these?
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35555 on: July 24, 2019, 10:23:59 pm »
*snip* The zero knob has no effect. Neither does the null pot. However, since this is the first time I have a thermistor mount to test with, I don't know if it's the mount or all the meters (or both). :scared:

*snip*

The fine zero is a toggle switch, not a knob! I thought mine was broken as well till I realized this.  :-DD

That was in reference to my 431B and 431C, which do have a zero knob, not a fine zero switch.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #35556 on: July 24, 2019, 10:25:46 pm »
Discovery... ?

All SUV look the same. Start at 31m:50s

>:D 
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #35557 on: July 24, 2019, 10:29:43 pm »

Vendor is in Holbeach, Fenland. What did you expect? (And you were thinking of going to live there!)

Some of his other electronic items are better.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35558 on: July 25, 2019, 12:14:43 am »

*snip*

That was in reference to my 431B and 431C, which do have a zero knob, not a fine zero switch.

Ah, ok. I've got a partially functional 431B that your post inspired me to get out. It powers on but the zero knobs have no effect, the null adjustment doesn't do anything, and the meter pegs if it's switching to any range other than "null". I'm going through the troubleshooting procedure in the manual. So far all the checks have been spot on, until I get to the squaring circuit, where the dc voltages are pretty far off what the manual states.

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35559 on: July 25, 2019, 12:59:30 am »

Got 2 Boonton power meter but no HP unfortunately.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #35560 on: July 25, 2019, 02:21:21 am »
Discovery... ?

All SUV look the same. Start at 31m:50s

>:D

You bastard. There's 20 minutes of my life I'll never get back.  :palm:

For those who don't know... here's how the vehicle food chain works:

Everybody knows that when you have kids, it soon becomes time for you trade the sporty sedan in for a station wagon.

The Minivan is for the guy who doesn't want to admit he needs a Station Wagon.

The Suburban is for the guy who doesn't want to admit he needs a Minivan.

The SUV is for the guy who doesn't want to admit he needs a Suburban.

And the Crossover is for the... OH FUCK IT... IT'S A FUCKING STATION WAGON, FOR FUCK'S SAKE.
|O

mnem
"...The SsangYong Korando is under  ‎£19,000; can you see anything wrong with that...?"
"Yes, I'd rather have warts..."
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 02:29:57 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35561 on: July 25, 2019, 02:39:35 am »
A crossover is a station wagon with way less room than a real station wagon. My grandfather drove a Caprice Classic wagon. That thing was likely one of the last American land yachts. It was HUGE!

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35562 on: July 25, 2019, 02:51:11 am »
Effing Amazon, man...

So I stayed up late tinkering on my new  PC case; getting some of the foundation demolition work done and sizing it up for the next stage of assembly after installing the 1KW PSU. At 2AM, I order a 5-pack of award-winning name-brand Arctic 120mm PWM fans, since I decided I'm at most going to have some old-school RGB "under-lighting" but otherwise totally "Dark Star" the whole build. And my own personal requirement for the last couple decades, a software-independent discrete thermometer to attach directly to the CPU's lid.

They delivered them at 7PM. Total cost? $36; less than the fans alone at NewEgg, plus $4.99 3-6 day shipping like they're doing me some damned favor.  :palm:

Effing Amazon, man.

mnem
*couch-tuber time widda kidzz*

« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 02:54:37 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #35563 on: July 25, 2019, 02:53:47 am »
Effing Amazon, man...

So I stayed up late tinkering on my new  PC case; getting some of the foundation demolition work done and sizing it up for the next stage of assembly after installing the 1KW PSU. At 2AM, I order a 5-pack of award-winning name-brand Arctic 120mm PWM fans, since I decided I'm at most going to have some old-school RGB "under-lighting" but otherwise totally "Dark Star" the whole build. And my own personal requirement for the last couple decades, a software-independent discrete thermometer to attach directly to the CPU's lid.

They delivered them at 7PM. Total cost? $36; less than the fans alone at NewEgg, plus $4.99 3-6 day shipping like they're doing me some damned favor.  :palm:

Effing Amazon, man.

mnem
*couch-tuber time widda kidzz*

Damm Unicorn Fanboy  :-DD AMAZON SUX sign most of the world  >:D
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35564 on: July 25, 2019, 04:59:53 am »

Got 2 Boonton power meter but no HP unfortunately.

Ah, OK. So much test equipment, so little memory space to remember who has what here. :-DD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35565 on: July 25, 2019, 05:04:55 am »
Ah, ok. I've got a partially functional 431B that your post inspired me to get out. It powers on but the zero knobs have no effect, the null adjustment doesn't do anything, and the meter pegs if it's switching to any range other than "null". I'm going through the troubleshooting procedure in the manual. So far all the checks have been spot on, until I get to the squaring circuit, where the dc voltages are pretty far off what the manual states.

Interesting. Similar, but not exactly the same symptoms. Close enough to make me think that maybe the problem is with all the meters. I guess I'll have to get my 431B apart and go through the troubleshooting, too. Perhaps the 478A mount is, indeed, OK. That'd be a relief as it's the most critical (and not easily fixable) part.

The following users thanked this post: 0culus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35566 on: July 25, 2019, 05:06:09 am »
Effing Amazon, man...

Damm Unicorn Fanboy  :-DD AMAZON SUX sign most of the world  >:D

Hey dude... I found MY unicorn. And I married her.  ;D

mnem

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35567 on: July 25, 2019, 05:09:21 am »

Interesting. Similar, but not exactly the same symptoms. Close enough to make me think that maybe the problem is with all the meters. I guess I'll have to get my 431B apart and go through the troubleshooting, too. Perhaps the 478A mount is, indeed, OK. That'd be a relief as it's the most critical (and not easily fixable) part.

OK, cool. If you can give any insight as to the functioning of the squaring circuit, I'd be much obliged. So far all the voltages and specs are nominal except in that area. The cathodes of all those diodes are supposed to be positive, yet they are negative. Yet the voltage dividers that set those are connected to the -18 V regulated rail, so the numbers in the manual seem impossible. Maybe Q106 is the culprit there?

Also I've noted that the waveform from the 10 KC amplifier-oscillator circuits is really really far off from sinusoidal on mine. Have to mess with trigger holdoff to get a usable trace on the scope.  :-//

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35568 on: July 25, 2019, 05:21:15 am »
OK. I'll be away for work for the next day or so. But...I'll be back!

(Why do I feel like we've just gone head first down a massive rabbit hole? :-DD)

The following users thanked this post: 0culus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35569 on: July 25, 2019, 05:21:23 am »
A crossover is a station wagon with way less room than a real station wagon. My grandfather drove a Caprice Classic wagon. That thing was likely one of the last American land yachts. It was HUGE!

Dude... '56 Chevy Nomad, 1/2 tubbed with Sportsmens, ladderbars and 455-powered just to fuck with the bowtie-weenies heads.  :-DD It would do 13 seconds full of toolboxes. Or 10 of your closest friends.  >:D

mnem
Yeah, I went there.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35570 on: July 25, 2019, 05:58:05 am »
Nah didn't in the end. Needed it.

Have given up selling stuff. Had some serious asshattery. Plus I tend to end up needing it  :-DD

Edit: to note I have 5 DMMs at the moment plus two on power supplies and I ran out during this project :( ... figured not a good move to shift stuff.

Also got another 87 on the watch list.

Edit 2: I've actually sat down and though that I've long felt pressured into keeping things "trim" due to my bench being in the main living area in the house. This lead to me clearing out stuff which I inevitably end up needing. I'm not exactly broke so I don't need the cash income from it, but the pressure has been there from SWMBO mostly. Now that it is not dared to be spoken of and my kids are too busy staring at netflix to give a crap, the pressure is gone so fuck it I'm not selling anything!
I did wonder if that might be the outcome, you have flipped before only to within a short period be in the market again for similar items. [emoji106]

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #35571 on: July 25, 2019, 06:20:46 am »

Have given up selling stuff. Had some serious asshattery. Plus I tend to end up needing it  :-DD

Edit: to note I have 5 DMMs at the moment plus two on power supplies and I ran out during this project :( ... figured not a good move to shift stuff.

Edit 2: I've actually sat down and though that I've long felt pressured into keeping things "trim" due to my bench being in the main living area in the house. This lead to me clearing out stuff which I inevitably end up needing. I'm not exactly broke so I don't need the cash income from it, but the pressure has been there from SWMBO mostly. Now that it is not dared to be spoken of and my kids are too busy staring at netflix to give a crap, the pressure is gone so fuck it I'm not selling anything!
I did wonder if that might be the outcome, you have flipped before only to within a short period be in the market again for similar items. [emoji106]

And exactly why I will never, EVER, have an "in residence" SWMBO as has been in the past. No, nope.....NO!  :box: :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35572 on: July 25, 2019, 06:33:08 am »

And exactly why I will never, EVER, have an "in residence" SWMBO as has been in the past. No, nope.....NO!  :box: :-DD
Oh, I'm pretty sure the lady cop might be able change your mind given her powers over you [emoji61][emoji83]

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #35573 on: July 25, 2019, 07:04:16 am »

Oh, I'm pretty sure the lady cop might be able change your mind given her powers over you [emoji61][emoji83]

Luckily she's not interested in living together as I am not interested. We both strongly agree on that.

I spent the vast majority of my adult life pleasing other people (read: women). Never again. This is MY time.  :-+ ;D
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #35574 on: July 25, 2019, 07:18:09 am »
(Why do I feel like we've just gone head first down a massive rabbit hole? :-DD)

"Just"?! I think you are missing the entire point of this thread.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf