Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 15318457 times)

kfm and 24 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #53300 on: March 23, 2020, 02:52:16 pm »
Arggg there's a cheap AC calibrator on ebay this morning … Please could someone buy it before I do ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VALHALLA-SCIENTIFIC-2703-PROGRAMMABLE-AC-VOLTAGE-STANDARD-POWERS-ON-NO-O/274315594249

Damn, very tempted but I'm tapped out at the moment.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #53301 on: March 23, 2020, 02:56:07 pm »
Arggg there's a cheap AC calibrator on ebay this morning … Please could someone buy it before I do ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VALHALLA-SCIENTIFIC-2703-PROGRAMMABLE-AC-VOLTAGE-STANDARD-POWERS-ON-NO-O/274315594249

just put an order in at Mouser for $lots so budget disallows it.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53302 on: March 23, 2020, 03:34:15 pm »
I suppose this is test gear. For testing humans. Made something seeing as you can't get any proper ones at the moment. Important to test your oxygen saturation and pulse if you're potentially getting pneumonia. Thus culmination of crap from China sold overpriced on amazon it is:

Cheap MAX30100 module (with fixes seeing as it's a hack job bodge module) + Arduno Nano + frigged cut and paste sketch + windows UI done in winforms in about 30 minutes:

There's a read "BEAT" that appears in time with your heart but you can't see that here. I couldn't screenshot it quick enough.

O2 sats good so I'm not dying yet  :-DD

Edit: also I know that's borderline bradycardia, but this is due to AHS and is non-pathological ;)

Edit: source code is minimal example here with the output changed to be easier to parse: https://github.com/oxullo/Arduino-MAX30100
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 03:42:15 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: BravoV, xrunner, edavid, BU508A, med6753, Mortymore, Kosmic

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #53303 on: March 23, 2020, 03:45:54 pm »
I suppose this is test gear. For testing humans. Made something seeing as you can't get any proper ones at the moment. Important to test your oxygen saturation and pulse if you're potentially getting pneumonia. Thus culmination of crap from China sold overpriced on amazon it is:

Cheap MAX30100 module (with fixes seeing as it's a hack job bodge module) + Arduno Nano + frigged cut and paste sketch + windows UI done in winforms in about 30 minutes:

There's a read "BEAT" that appears in time with your heart but you can't see that here. I couldn't screenshot it quick enough.

O2 sats good so I'm not dying yet  :-DD

Edit: also I know that's borderline bradycardia, but this is due to AHS and is non-pathological ;)

Edit: source code is minimal example here with the output changed to be easier to parse: https://github.com/oxullo/Arduino-MAX30100

Mind share the ready flasheable firmware if you dont mind, TIA.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53304 on: March 23, 2020, 03:53:15 pm »
No idea how to get that out. This is using arduino UI (puke but it worked):

Code: [Select]
#include <Wire.h>
#include "MAX30100_PulseOximeter.h"

#define REPORTING_PERIOD_MS     1000
PulseOximeter pox;
uint32_t tsLastReport = 0;
void onBeatDetected()
{
    Serial.println("Beat");
}

void setup()
{
    Serial.begin(115200);

Serial.print("Initializing pulse oximeter..");
    if (!pox.begin()) {
        Serial.println("FAILED");
        for(;;);
    } else {
        Serial.println("SUCCESS");
    }
    pox.setIRLedCurrent(MAX30100_LED_CURR_14_2MA);
    pox.setOnBeatDetectedCallback(onBeatDetected);
}

void loop()
{
    pox.update();
    if (millis() - tsLastReport > REPORTING_PERIOD_MS) {
        Serial.print("Rate:");
        Serial.print(pox.getHeartRate());
        Serial.print(":");
        Serial.print(pox.getSpO2());
        Serial.print("\n");
        tsLastReport = millis();
    }
}

The circuit is as per https://github.com/oxullo/Arduino-MAX30100/blob/master/extras/arduino-wiring.pdf ... you need to add 4.7k pull ups to 3.3V out for the POS module I got because there is a bug on it.

Edit: client attached. run bin\Debug\PulseOximeterClassic.exe for UI.

You may have to play with the COM port in the code. This is NOT production quality.

Also need to change this for something which is device specific - headers in the repo above. MAX30100_LED_CURR_14_2MA
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 03:56:28 pm by bd139 »

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #53305 on: March 23, 2020, 03:54:37 pm »

It is tempting, but a nine+ hour drive is a bit too far for me...

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #53306 on: March 23, 2020, 03:56:06 pm »
@bd139:

I thought, you hate Arduino, especially the nano?  :-//
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53307 on: March 23, 2020, 03:56:12 pm »

Got one from Ali last year, something like €15

Looks like I'm still alive.
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53308 on: March 23, 2020, 04:01:22 pm »
@bd139:

Yes I do indeed but this was a "what's the shortest time to objective" project so I had a look what I had lying around. The nano itself is ok TBH and I mostly use them with AVR-gcc but in this case there was ready to roll code so path of least resistance was taken. I know when not to pick a fight  :-DD

Yeah I had one but it dropped dead a couple of weeks back typically and appears to be, to use a technical term, bollocks'ed :(

Now you can't get them, anywhere. you can get shonky MAX30100 modules though!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 04:04:48 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #53309 on: March 23, 2020, 04:11:30 pm »
That doesn't mean I'm going to STICK with a bass-ackwards measure based on King 'enry's shoe size.
It was King John's foot actually.
unless you're an old fart MACHINIST who still thinks a South Bend Model A is the pinnacle of... something.
I thought the ne plus ultra was a clapped out old Bridgeport mill?
... like my grand-dad's F-150; which I love dearly, but you can fix most of what goes wrong with it using a hot-wrench and Vise-Grips.
As I was reading that, the line broke after "fix most of what" and my mind filled in "what's wrong with it with a case of 0.50 cal".

The foot we use TODAY is exactly 1/3 of Henry's yard, which he made a standard based on the distance from his nose to the tip of his outstretched arm in response to disputes over broken silver & fabric yardage in the King's markets. (Royalty... :-//) The idea of a foot as a measure, and subdivided into 12 inches, predates him going back to Babylonian times. ALL THAT would NOT have fit well into my brief quip; so it was easier to just quote the "common knowledge".  :P

I can't argue any of your other points, tho... except it was my Grand-dad's truck so in went Caddzilla; but that's a story for another time.  ;)

...It's NOT like this is an either/or scenario; there's a reason all these calibration/tuning models exist, FFS. That's the GREAT thing about 3D Printing; WTF-Ever it is, you can always print another one.  ;) (SNIP)

I dunno why you even feel a need to argue this; unless you’re feeling the need for an argument and nobody else took the bait.  ;)

mnem
“Oh, you want ‘ARGUMENTS’... This is ‘VERBAL ABUSE’. They’re just down the hall, third door on the right.”

I made a simple observation and pointed to measurements on the Benchy via a link and then you seemed to be in the mood for being Argudwagon   :-//

Some of the points you used are simply FALSE. You tried for example arguing the Benchy is not linear parts of it certainly are and they would serve the purpose of the Borg Cube very well. This simple thing you have avoided because it doesn't suit your narrative of Cube superiority.

Non directional get out a Texta and mark the benchy if you cant remember which is X or Y :box:

Or I could just print out the model that's MADE FOR the specific kind of nut & bolts SINGLE AXIS AT A TIME testing I had in mind AT THE TIME and allows me to make 3 or 4 iterations in the time/material it takes to print one Benchy.  ::)

You know how anal I can be about using the correct tool for the job at hand.  >:D I know I'm old & slow & easily confused, so I try to make up for it by being careful and methodical.

mnem
"Excuse me; am I in the right department? I'd like to apply for a grant to develop my funny walk..."
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 05:40:20 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53310 on: March 23, 2020, 04:32:17 pm »
No time to play but on the outside near as darn it showroom condition and sent with enough bubble wrap to make Mother her suit  >:D

Nice Fluke 720a, you're lucky  :-+

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53311 on: March 23, 2020, 04:45:23 pm »
unless you're an old fart MACHINIST who still thinks a South Bend Model A is the pinnacle of... something.

I thought the ne plus ultra was a clapped out old Bridgeport mill?

Naah, a flatbelt driven South Bend with pre-art-noveau (that's art-ancienne, right?) ornaments on its cast-iron base and a G & E shaper (on which you can make everything except money) both driven from single-phase motors because Edison was wrong and USA still suffers from his idiotic DC romance. There you go. The Bridgeport is the logical progression, though.

TBH, people with a (sometimes vectorized) clue tend to accept and embrace technological progress, even if their ideology and motivations might be right up Clusterfuck Alley.

/M, has a 1920s Storebro SA210 lathe, Whitworth threads and all, in parts in the garage.
Some day, yes, some day I'll assemble it and make parts that laugh at the CNC losers!

https://www.southbendlathe.com/products/metal-lathes/1926-lathe-rebuild

I inherited this one's little brother from grand-dad; he'd started to restore it and had gotten as far as re-pouring the babbitt and wiping it down in cosmoline. Then he moved to the farm I grew up on and stored it in the barn, which I inherited 30 years later; by that time it looked like something from one of those "found out in a desert" stories.

I tried... I REALLY TRIED... to bring it back. After days of heating & cooling the headshaft & squirting it with the "special blend" of kero & oil & ATF he swore by as penetrating lube I finally broke it loose... got the headstock area cleaned up & put a faceplate on it, and discovered the bearings were poured about 7 thou out of true. No wonder he buried the damned thing in the back of a barn. :palm:

I made up a flatbelt/V-belt reduction unit of shafts & steel scrap & got it working; steam-cleaned it and occasionally used it to turn the odd spacer or non-critical bushing. It went south when I moved away as a youth; by that time I'd had my fill of the bucolic wonders of the farmlands.

*mnemories*
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 05:27:13 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53312 on: March 23, 2020, 05:18:56 pm »

I've had this one bought from Bang-em=good or TMart for at least 8 years. Like US$13 delivered at the time.

https://www.gimaitaly.com/prodotti.asp?sku=35100&dept_selected=622&dept_id=6220

I've seen this one in use at numerous Dialysis/Phrenology centers around San Antonio/Houston; one of my ASP contracts was for servicing the AiO PC/touchscreens used at the stations. Found them online for  US$75-85 without prescription.   :-//

[EDIT] Ahhhh... I see. Looking on Amazon UK, none of the better fingertip ones with OLED display available via Prime. A couple segmented LED and larger Hundred-quid-plus handheld models is all they show.

mnem
*girding my loins for another guerilla attack on the grocery store*
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 05:37:51 pm by mnementh »

Online Mortymore

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #53313 on: March 23, 2020, 05:29:20 pm »
@bd139:

Worst than Nano is the Pro Mini. But very useful when "tiny" is required. Recently used one to add a display to my old Elektor audio function generator

The following users thanked this post: edavid, BU508A, med6753, mnementh, bd139, beanflying, grizewald

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53314 on: March 23, 2020, 05:52:02 pm »

Sorry n

Sorry can do, they don't ship to the UK,  :--
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #53315 on: March 23, 2020, 05:58:03 pm »

Yeah, me, too. Probably for the better.
specialization is for insects.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53316 on: March 23, 2020, 05:59:53 pm »
Hey guys, do me a flavor... Ever since I got my 3DP up & running, www.thingiverse.com has been slow AF. This morning, I'm getting nothing but bad gateway errors on both browsers, direct or via VPN. Could you please see if you can get to them and report back?

I suppose they might be getting hit pretty hard, what with half the planet cooped up @home w/fuck-all to do... :-//

mnem
moo...?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53317 on: March 23, 2020, 06:01:21 pm »
It’s not just you. It’s been like shit for a month or so now from here.

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53318 on: March 23, 2020, 06:15:46 pm »

Sorry n

Sorry can do, they don't ship to the UK,  :--

Looks like you have to ask for international shipping.

(e) International orders are subject to duties, taxes and/or other import fees. In addition, HGR charges an export service fee equal to 5% (minimum of $25) of the item sales price. The customer is solely responsible for these fees, documents and transportation if held at a customs office in the destination country. In the event that you have questions about international shipping logistics, please contact us before purchase.

David

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #53319 on: March 23, 2020, 06:16:20 pm »
Hey guys, do me a flavor... Ever since I got my 3DP up & running, www.thingiverse.com has been slow AF. This morning, I'm getting nothing but bad gateway errors on both browsers, direct or via VPN. Could you please see if you can get to them and report back?

I suppose they might be getting hit pretty hard, what with half the planet cooped up @home w/fuck-all to do... :-//

mnem
moo...?

They were working on improving it for a while, and the last week it seemed to me to be OK. Now they have been toying with a new interface and it's fucked again. Welcome to my world.  :palm:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53320 on: March 23, 2020, 06:34:34 pm »
This virus needs nuking and quick, my takeaway curry house is effing closed today till further notice, McDonald's is also pigging closed till further notice, oh well, I guess its soup tonight now.  >:D
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53321 on: March 23, 2020, 06:39:31 pm »
Oh dear... no curry asplosion=irregular Spec=Cranky Old Fart Spec.  :scared:

This IS a emergency NOW.  :-DD

mnem
*off to forage for food in the wilds of North o' Toronto*

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53322 on: March 23, 2020, 06:44:20 pm »

I just thought that it meant that you'd got serious about getting some exercise. When I was getting some regular proper cycling in my resting heart rate was below 60. I used to freak doctors and nurses out on a regular basis, chubby middle aged bloke, nominally borderline obese with a BMI of 28-29*, presents looking and acting perfectly normal with apparent hypotension and bradycardia.

* Which is precisely why BMI, which was designed as a measure of population epedimiology, shouldn't be used for individual diagnosis - but the idiots still do it. What my BMI wouldn't have told you was that from the hips down I was solid muscle with barely a trace of fat. Sadly this is no longer true and I really need to get back into the habit of getting some proper work in on the bike.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53323 on: March 23, 2020, 06:54:16 pm »

I just thought that it meant that you'd got serious about getting some exercise. When I was getting some regular proper cycling in my resting heart rate was below 60. I used to freak doctors and nurses out on a regular basis, chubby middle aged bloke, nominally borderline obese with a BMI of 28-29*, presents looking and acting perfectly normal with apparent hypotension and bradycardia.

* Which is precisely why BMI, which was designed as a measure of population epedimiology, shouldn't be used for individual diagnosis - but the idiots still do it. What my BMI wouldn't have told you was that from the hips down I was solid muscle with barely a trace of fat. Sadly this is no longer true and I really need to get back into the habit of getting some proper work in on the bike.

Yep historically my heart rate was pretty good. Last year resting was around 70 and I was in the obese spectrum. A bit of exercise (well a lot - I’ve walked/run 255 miles this year already) it went back down again. Still need to shift 18kg. Going to look like a canned date after :(

And totally agree on BMI.  It’s a reasonable finger in the air estimate that can say “this person needs further investigation” but nothing more. I did however add the obesity and overweight markers on my spreadsheet for motivational value rather than science however :)

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53324 on: March 23, 2020, 06:54:27 pm »
It’s not just you. It’s been like shit for a month or so now from here.

Dunno, it's OK here, with the proviso that I'm just loading up the home page (and don't have any of it cached) and only looking at a subsidiary page or two. It IS slow, but usable.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf