Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 35772983 times)

Vince and 1438 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 14488
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #3550 on: November 12, 2017, 02:32:57 pm »
What you mean the battery cover is a known weak spot for this model? I would never have expected anything so basic from a well known and respected maker.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi
 

Offline HalFET

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 512
  • Country: 00
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #3551 on: November 12, 2017, 02:35:06 pm »
What you mean the battery cover is a known weak spot for this model? I would never have expected anything so basic from a well known and respected maker.

Nah, I meant the battery cover for the bluetooth module is very fragile. The meters themselves are solid as far as I've seen.
 

Offline Specmaster

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 14488
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #3552 on: November 12, 2017, 02:51:10 pm »
I think that may be the case, check out the lyrics to the Eagles "Hotel California" last 2 verses

Mirrors on the ceiling,
The pink champagne on ice
And she said, 'we are all just prisoners here, of our own device'
And in the master's chambers,
They gathered for the feast
They stab it with their steely knives,
But they just can't kill the beast

Last thing I remember, I was
Running for the door
I had to find the passage back to the place I was before
'Relax' said the night man,
'We are programmed to receive.
You can check out any time you like,
But you can never leave!'

It seems to be appropriate here, we are guilty as charged TEA  :-DD

I think you might have emphasized the wrong lines.  THIS one is the one I always think of...

-Pat
Hmm, maybe it ought to be THIS line

Mirrors on the ceiling,
The pink champagne on ice
And she said, 'we are all just prisoners here, of our own device'
And in the master's chambers,
They gathered for the feast
They stab it with their steely knives,
But they just can't kill the beast
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi
 

Offline bd139

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 23102
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #3553 on: November 12, 2017, 02:53:09 pm »
More TEA here. Getting on the new stuff bandwagon now.

One Keysight U1241C on the way. 3m drop proof, IP67, torch, 10000 count, data logging, 0.09%, ambient temp, proper CAT rating, mV/uA ranges, 2KHz true RMS AC bandwidth, 10MHz counter, IR-USB link (need to buy that now). Sooooo much better value than a similarly priced fluke. Something I can poke around white goods, the car and  use on the bench basically.

Got it from RS so should see it on Tuesday :)

The Fluke 8024B will be retired after this and put in the cupboard.

Nice buy, and actually the IR-Bluetooth modules are also quite nice! Good software, and ok battery life. Just got to remember to tape down the bluetooth modules's battery compartment cover, otherwise you'll be losing that bit in the first week.

My only real remark about it is that Keysight first went ahead and created a meter with a flashlight in there (useful), and then proceeded to put the IR link port in the most horrible place imaginable. It's just next to or underneath the flashlight. So the moment you attach something you lose the flashlight functionality, which can be surprisingly handy when attempting to install the meter as impromptu data logger. The U1241C also screws up in another way, on the lower end models they made a cut out in the tilting bale which contained the hook for hanging it, but in the higher-end models it was molded into the bumper/case, as a result the hook becomes completely useless when you plug something onto the IR interface. It's one of the main reasons I've stuck to the U1232A and didn't go with something higher end. Though I suppose they sell some fancy hanger for the U1241C that alleviates this problem. Bit of useless rant isn't it? :D

*Edited to make it slightly more clear*

Thanks for the notes - much appreciated. Duct tape at the ready!

I was expecting some conflict between the two features to be honest. I’ve got a head mounted LED torch which will probably used to plant the thing. That’s not quite as convenient when poking around in the car because I already bang my head on everything so all good.

I like the remote display unit as well but I really don’t need one and can’t justify buying that unless a rich relative dies and says that I must spend it on something cool that isn’t needed :)

Edit: ooh got something to repair as well now. Coffee machine (Bosch Tassimo) has just died.
 

Offline HalFET

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 512
  • Country: 00
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #3554 on: November 12, 2017, 03:05:07 pm »
More TEA here. Getting on the new stuff bandwagon now.

One Keysight U1241C on the way. 3m drop proof, IP67, torch, 10000 count, data logging, 0.09%, ambient temp, proper CAT rating, mV/uA ranges, 2KHz true RMS AC bandwidth, 10MHz counter, IR-USB link (need to buy that now). Sooooo much better value than a similarly priced fluke. Something I can poke around white goods, the car and  use on the bench basically.

Got it from RS so should see it on Tuesday :)

The Fluke 8024B will be retired after this and put in the cupboard.

Nice buy, and actually the IR-Bluetooth modules are also quite nice! Good software, and ok battery life. Just got to remember to tape down the bluetooth modules's battery compartment cover, otherwise you'll be losing that bit in the first week.

My only real remark about it is that Keysight first went ahead and created a meter with a flashlight in there (useful), and then proceeded to put the IR link port in the most horrible place imaginable. It's just next to or underneath the flashlight. So the moment you attach something you lose the flashlight functionality, which can be surprisingly handy when attempting to install the meter as impromptu data logger. The U1241C also screws up in another way, on the lower end models they made a cut out in the tilting bale which contained the hook for hanging it, but in the higher-end models it was molded into the bumper/case, as a result the hook becomes completely useless when you plug something onto the IR interface. It's one of the main reasons I've stuck to the U1232A and didn't go with something higher end. Though I suppose they sell some fancy hanger for the U1241C that alleviates this problem. Bit of useless rant isn't it? :D

*Edited to make it slightly more clear*

Thanks for the notes - much appreciated. Duct tape at the ready!

I was expecting some conflict between the two features to be honest. I’ve got a head mounted LED torch which will probably used to plant the thing. That’s not quite as convenient when poking around in the car because I already bang my head on everything so all good.

I like the remote display unit as well but I really don’t need one and can’t justify buying that unless a rich relative dies and says that I must spend it on something cool that isn’t needed :)

Edit: ooh got something to repair as well now. Coffee machine (Bosch Tassimo) has just died.

Sounds like you'll have to wait until the new meter arrived, good excuse to buy an extra thermocouple!

But check the photos to see the hanger problem on the U1232A, and the rigidity of the bluetooth module's battery cover.
 

Offline bd139

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 23102
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #3555 on: November 12, 2017, 03:12:09 pm »
Ah can see. Looks workable though. I don’t really expect miracles here :)

Good idea with thermocouple :D
 

Offline Specmaster

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 14488
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #3556 on: November 12, 2017, 03:14:35 pm »
You could always use your lovely new shiny meter to fix more shit for paying punters to pay for that lovely remote display module that would give you more time to spend with SWMBO and reduce the number of expensive shopping trips  :popcorn:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi
 

Offline bd139

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 23102
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #3557 on: November 12, 2017, 03:24:55 pm »
Brilliant idea! :)

They do look rather cool and appear to have 4 channels so you can buy more meters... 

 

Offline Specmaster

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 14488
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #3558 on: November 12, 2017, 03:39:41 pm »
Perfect excuse to go and order a few more meters then, sell the idea of more quality time time together  :clap:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi
 

Offline HalFET

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 512
  • Country: 00
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #3559 on: November 12, 2017, 03:43:02 pm »
Brilliant idea! :)

They do look rather cool and appear to have 4 channels so you can buy more meters... 



Only one response is suitable to this really:


I wonder if they made long distance repeaters for it already?
 

Offline bd139

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 23102
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #3560 on: November 12, 2017, 04:01:44 pm »
It’s just Bluetooth SPP so I reckon you could do that although I’m not aware of anything you can just buy to do it. Pairing would be a dick.  Although out of box it has 100m line of sight apparently which is more than enough for instrumentation.  Great when you don’t want to be near shit when it gets powered up.

Past 100m or so it’s getting into RS485/Ethernet and permanent installation territory there so I’m not sure there’s that much value. Fine for cabinet monkeys like myself (when I have to venture into the DC which is rarely these days)
 

Offline HalFET

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 512
  • Country: 00
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #3561 on: November 12, 2017, 04:48:16 pm »
It’s just Bluetooth SPP so I reckon you could do that although I’m not aware of anything you can just buy to do it. Pairing would be a dick.  Although out of box it has 100m line of sight apparently which is more than enough for instrumentation.  Great when you don’t want to be near shit when it gets powered up.

Past 100m or so it’s getting into RS485/Ethernet and permanent installation territory there so I’m not sure there’s that much value. Fine for cabinet monkeys like myself (when I have to venture into the DC which is rarely these days)

It is ( http://literature.cdn.keysight.com/litweb/pdf/5991-2084EN.pdf ), but this pragmatism almost sounds like a cure for Test Equipment Acquisition Syndrome!
 

Offline mnementh

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 17541
  • Country: us
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #3562 on: November 12, 2017, 07:46:32 pm »
My wife and I have an agreement, she doesn't complain about all the little bits and pieces I'm always buying for projects and I don't complain about her expensive handbags and shoes... Hmmmm, I think she's prolly getting the better deal. |O

I usually let her know when I'm buying more expensive items... Oh well, she does cop the lion's share of kid management and household maintenance.  ;D

Anyhoo, back on topic, I just ordered an Aneng 8008 cause 3 multimetres simply isn't enough and a 4th was required to keep the other's company.  :-DD
Hmm, let me tell you that 4 also get lonely and require company as I found out I have 4 analogue multimeters, 1 vacuum tube voltmeter / ohmmeter, 4 x 3.5 digit handheld multimeters and 3 x 3.5 digit, 2 x 4.5 digit and 1 x 6.5 digit (7.5 on 10Vdc) bench multimeters and now the 6.5 digit one is already feeling neglected so I'm on the cusp of getting it another to keep it company  :-DD


LOL... I just received my AN8008 from BangMeGood; which was ordered to keep my 8002 company... then the next day I ordered a Ragu17B that was only $9.99 with free 2-day Amazon Prime shipping. Why? Just to see what ACTUALLY arrived.  :bullshit:


I think that may be the case, check out the lyrics to the Eagles "Hotel California" last 2 verses

(SNIP for Brevity's sake)

'Relax' said the night man,
'We are programmed to receive.
You can check out any time you like,
But you can never leave!'


It seems to be appropriate here, we are guilty as charged TEA  :-DD

I have referenced that song in here before.

Good lord, I've LIVED that song. In several different interpretations too, I should add. Hell, in my teenage years, The Eagles were the soundtrack of the movie that was my life.   :box:

The tool habit... heh, she's an enabler, as long as I keep her car and phone working. She's the one who bought my 1054Z, and she's the one who bought my last 3 high-current power supplies. Plus numerous other bits of noisy, stinky and sometimes incendiary gear on my bench.

Now if only cloning technology was available. :D

Damn skippy... but if it were, I'd probably clone ME so that between us, we MIGHT be able to keep up with her.  :-DD  That woman is a force of nature... but she is the alpha to my  \$\Omega\$.


It’s just Bluetooth SPP so I reckon you could do that although I’m not aware of anything you can just buy to do it. Pairing would be a dick.  Although out of box it has 100m line of sight apparently which is more than enough for instrumentation.  Great when you don’t want to be near shit when it gets powered up.

Past 100m or so it’s getting into RS485/Ethernet and permanent installation territory there so I’m not sure there’s that much value. Fine for cabinet monkeys like myself (when I have to venture into the DC which is rarely these days)

Why am I suddenly thinking of something out of an episode of Futurama? ;)



Thanks for the notes - much appreciated. Duct tape at the ready!

I was expecting some conflict between the two features to be honest. I’ve got a head mounted LED torch which will probably used to plant the thing. That’s not quite as convenient when poking around in the car because I already bang my head on everything so all good.

I like the remote display unit as well but I really don’t need one and can’t justify buying that unless a rich relative dies and says that I must spend it on something cool that isn’t needed :)

Edit: ooh got something to repair as well now. Coffee machine (Bosch Tassimo) has just died.

That battery door issue looks to me like a candidate for a blind rivet gun with blind nut attachment and some countersunk flat-head screws. Stainless steel/hex head of course; ~m3 or so.


COFFEEMAKER DIED?!? That is not an opportunity... that is an EMERGENCY!!!  :scared:

You'll need at least a 32-channel Pnuder Valve Synchroniser as well as AC AND DC Flibberty-gibbet analyzers to get that thing perking again. Don't forget the hydro-resonant encabulator calibration, or the thing could blow a seam the first time you put water in it!  :scared:

Time to hit fleaBay!!!  >:D


mnem
Everybody needs something top believe in; I believe I'm going to have another martini.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 10:44:44 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °
 

Offline bd139

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 23102
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #3563 on: November 12, 2017, 08:00:03 pm »
Fixed the coffee maker! Bad capXon.  X for where the smoke comes out. Fucking Chinese shit.

Have stuffed the closest thing I had which was a rubycon. Power up. Works fine!

Only problem is you notice how disgusting it is so I’m in the middle of cleaning it.
 

Offline Specmaster

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 14488
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #3564 on: November 12, 2017, 08:02:37 pm »
Emergency over, I'll tell Thunderbirds to stand down and return to Tracy Island then, FAB  :phew:
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 08:33:18 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi
 

Offline HalFET

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 512
  • Country: 00
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #3565 on: November 12, 2017, 08:24:03 pm »
*drags his feet into the room again*

Remember that Agilent sampling card I linked earlier, I might have put a 500 EUR bid on it, and no one went higher  |O

https://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/Agilent-U1081A-Acqiris-AP200-Digitizer-PCI-Digital-Oscilloscope-500Mhz-year-2014-/162734689380?

Oh well, I can see myself building a decent SDR with this card :D
 

Offline bd139

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 23102
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #3566 on: November 12, 2017, 09:44:58 pm »
That looks like a rather nice toy. I like the fan array on the end of it. Assume that is a standard PCI card and there is PC software for it? Could make a nice instrument.

I've been playing with automation a lot recently. It's great fun :D
 

Offline HalFET

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 512
  • Country: 00
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #3567 on: November 12, 2017, 09:58:19 pm »
Yeah, they also got some data processing capability on board, they seem to provide example software and there are matlab and labview interfaces for it. I've never actually seen one of these, or for that matter saw detailed pictures of one of them. I'll post some when it arrives.

Automation is a lot of fun! I ended up automating the sample analysis for my Ph.D. a while ago, made my life so much easier. Also generates very pretty plots :D
 

Offline bd139

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 23102
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #3568 on: November 12, 2017, 10:08:25 pm »
Nice. I keep meaning to have a bash with LabVIEW. This picture scares me though:



That's the way to do it. It pains me when I see people sitting there manually executing tests over and over again. Our QA team do that. They actually sit there and click the frigging buttons on the software 7.5 hours a day, 5 days a week. Business wants to pay them to do this though rather than invest in automated testing.  :palm: not my funeral!
 

Offline HalFET

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 512
  • Country: 00
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #3569 on: November 12, 2017, 10:10:23 pm »
It'd be fun to put in some code to detect the QA team behaviour and spam random messages for them.
 

Offline bd139

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 23102
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #3570 on: November 12, 2017, 10:15:46 pm »
Been done. We caught one of our lead developers trolling them by putting Thread.Sleep(30000) in a UI function only they use for loading fixture data in. Cue 30 second page hang when they loaded fixture data in which happens about 20 times an hour for them.  :-DD
 

Offline Mr. Scram

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 9841
  • Country: 00
  • Display aficionado
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #3571 on: November 12, 2017, 10:16:52 pm »
Nice. I keep meaning to have a bash with LabVIEW. This picture scares me though:



That's the way to do it. It pains me when I see people sitting there manually executing tests over and over again. Our QA team do that. They actually sit there and click the frigging buttons on the software 7.5 hours a day, 5 days a week. Business wants to pay them to do this though rather than invest in automated testing.  :palm: not my funeral!
I've been putting it off too, but have made sure almost all my purchases are somehow compatible. Doing one manual test is probably faster, but if you want to test some variations of something, or just a couple of times, having things automated seems to be a must. Like Dave's characterisation of a PSU. Doing it manually once is a bit of a pain, but if you want to try various components to find the optimal result or even just test it at different temperatures, doing it by hand quickly becomes a huge pain. Not to mention humans are terrible at repetitive jobs, so errors are likely to creep in.
 

Offline bd139

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 23102
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #3572 on: November 12, 2017, 10:25:38 pm »
Definitely!

On the subject of test rigs, and this is definitely TEA, I actually built a test rig about 4 years ago now in "peak pedal building" hype for characterising germanium transistors to palm off to pedal builders on ebay. I had 300-odd I got in an ebay lot for a low fee because they were listed as diodes and the photo was really bad. No one cares about diodes. Was an Arduino, UT61E, Chinese no brand relay card, laptop, intermec label printer nicked from work for the weekend and a clever little circuit with carefully picked resistor values. Measured hFe, leakage parameters. 50 lines of python code.

Poke transistor in, press enter, waits for temp to stabilise, measures hFe, then leakage, then prints out a label, stick on bag and throw transistor in (or in the bin) and off you go.

Got 125 good transistors out of that and shifted them for £8 a pop, then sold the remaining lot as untested, likely out of spec for £50. Good earner  :-+

Quite a few rusty and shorted ones so yield wasn't all that good.

I would love to be paid to build things like that with proper new equipment. All about LXI and SCPI now I have some good stuff which is a lot less of a turd than the above :)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 10:28:04 pm by bd139 »
 

Offline HalFET

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 512
  • Country: 00
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #3573 on: November 12, 2017, 10:28:22 pm »
That's why I love the SMUs, those plus a GPIB card, switch, and Matlab or Python and you can characterise almost any two terminal device out there.
 

Offline Specmaster

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 14488
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #3574 on: November 12, 2017, 10:31:05 pm »
Whoa, be very careful there, thats someones livelihood you would be taking away there, how could they fund their TEA addiction with no income?? Been there and never wish to return to that position again  :blah:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi
 


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf

 

-->