Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 15713158 times)

Robert763 and 17 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #6100 on: January 08, 2018, 07:39:02 pm »
You never know what crashed into that ship?  :-DD
Hahaha  :-DD
Well it certainly wasn't a plane 🤣
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline glarsson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6101 on: January 08, 2018, 07:44:10 pm »
Recalled Samsung phones on their way back to the factory?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6102 on: January 08, 2018, 08:22:58 pm »
Not mine, it got a software update last night and besides a new look it seems that it has got faster if anything  :popcorn:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6103 on: January 08, 2018, 08:27:15 pm »

Or someone below deck probing mains with a cheap DMM, or an oscilloscope without differential probe, or using an isolation transformer incorrectly, or....

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6104 on: January 08, 2018, 08:30:31 pm »
Either that or something worked out it was heading to Big Clive and self immolated.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6105 on: January 08, 2018, 09:09:06 pm »
Either that or something worked out it was heading to Big Clive and self immolated.
Brilliant  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #6106 on: January 08, 2018, 09:52:56 pm »
This place is like an Alcoholics Anonymous group except they meet in the pub :)

Precisely! How do you think we got so many members? :-DD
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #6107 on: January 08, 2018, 10:02:15 pm »
This place is like an Alcoholics Anonymous group except they meet in the pub :)

Precisely! How do you think we got so many members? :-DD
We are a bunch of enablers. :D
Someone once asked why we all have 20 Oscilloscopes and 20 DMMs>
Hell Why not. :P
Sue AF6LJ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6108 on: January 08, 2018, 10:02:42 pm »
Hi, everyone, I'm back from recovery.

Welcome back!

This TEA thread is a real denial of service-attack for members who want to read all postings..  :palm:
Took me really a while to catch up!

Yeah, tell me about it. Took me two days to catch up after a week away. TEADoS!

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6109 on: January 08, 2018, 10:04:30 pm »
We are a bunch of enablers. :D
Someone once asked why we all have 20 Oscilloscopes and 20 DMMs>
Hell Why not. :P

Indeed! :-+

I was hoping to get my workbench all tidied up over the holidays, so I could have a nice arrangement of equipment on/around it. Well, that failed. :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6110 on: January 08, 2018, 10:49:06 pm »
Yeah I did the same last night. The pile is just a different shape now  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: AF6LJ

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6111 on: January 08, 2018, 11:21:13 pm »
I've had some extra holes added to me over the years. Keeping something 100% original isn't necessarily the best objective in my mind. If it's working and of use and fulfils its purpose then it's good.

I've just spoken to my mother (as I said before she actually worked for Telequipment) who said not to touch it with a twenty foot barge pole. To quote her exact words: "if it hasn't been used then it probably didn't work when we sold it, or did but for not very long!". They had a high return rate because their QA was shit apparently so this might have gone out and come back again, sat in storage and then auctioned off later when Tek shut them down. Also she suggested that because they were priced under Tek by so much that they used to get "funny old smelly men in sheds and labs buying them would use them until they had as many holes in as their clothes".
Did you put in another bid in the end? I ask because I was watching it and now I see its gone.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6112 on: January 09, 2018, 12:36:30 am »
I didn't. I'm hoping the seller was suitably offended by the low offers and will relist it cheaper :)

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #6113 on: January 09, 2018, 12:38:11 am »
Just arrived today: Prema 6040 S, 7.5 digit DMM

Hooked it up to my Geller Lab 10V reference. My Keithley DMM7510 reads 10.000112V,
the Prema reads actually 10.000589V and is drifting higher.

I'll wait for 24h to see, what happens.

Pictures from the inside will follow.

Can't quite make it out but is that a shorting bar to mains earth on the negative terminal? Maybe a bit of rubbish getting into your reading  :-\
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6114 on: January 09, 2018, 01:03:09 am »
I didn't. I'm hoping the seller was suitably offended by the low offers and will relist it cheaper :)
I see, I was contemplating making an offer, purely on its overall exterior condition, although I do think the trace position knobs have caps missing but generally the condition is really good.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6115 on: January 09, 2018, 01:26:52 am »
Whatever the real reason for the recent revelation by Apple in admitting that they deliberately slowed down older phones, possible trouble for them seems to be looming large over the hill.

As previously stated I'm sitting on the fence here because while I don't have an iPhone, I do have an iPod Touch and an iPad Air along with lots of Android devices. I was on the BBC news site just now I noticed this on there.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-42615378
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6116 on: January 09, 2018, 02:37:02 am »
Finally it seems as if all the missing parts to go with the T12 handle (already in the UK) are now on their way and in the air so not much longer to wait.

Incidentally, if anyone is looking at the Kgser brand of T12, I have been looking at feedback from customers who have submitted photos as a mini review. It seems that they use the same method of internal construction as the Quicko 952, photos of which are already posted here in earlier posts and more importantly the identical power supply so the only difference is in the software and the controller, the actual grunt, the power unit is the same, so precisely the same performance should be expected but with a different feature set in the interface and of course they use 5 pins and Quicko 4 pins.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #6117 on: January 09, 2018, 04:54:54 am »
Incidentally, if anyone is looking at the Kgser brand of T12, I have been looking at feedback from customers who have submitted photos as a mini review. It seems that they use the same method of internal construction as the Quicko 952, photos of which are already posted here in earlier posts and more importantly the identical power supply so the only difference is in the software and the controller, the actual grunt, the power unit is the same, so precisely the same performance should be expected but with a different feature set in the interface and of course they use 5 pins and Quicko 4 pins.

Good to know, I may have to grab one!  ;D

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #6118 on: January 09, 2018, 05:36:05 am »
Volt/Temp.  .... nuttery increasing. S/Hand UPS arrives tomorrow then time for the fit out/modding to commence   :-/O
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #6119 on: January 09, 2018, 06:29:15 am »
Can't quite make it out but is that a shorting bar to mains earth on the negative terminal? Maybe a bit of rubbish getting into your reading  :-\

Could be. The blue binding post is labled as "Schirm" which means "Shield or Shielding".
I've checked the schematics (can be found here as .pdf: http://www.prema.com/index.php/en/service-en/maintanance-of-measuring-instruments)
but it is still unclear to me, what it exactly means.

I have to open it anyway, since I've found out yesterday evening, that there is something wrong with the measuring resistor part.
Sadly, it seems that the option for measuring ACV isn't installed.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6120 on: January 09, 2018, 06:58:00 am »
Shall I cry or shall I laugh?
I bought precision dial gauges from a seller in Germany. He offered shipping through Deutsche Post (envelope) or pick up.
I negotiated sendind them all together in one packet with him for a regular amount of money. OK.

After that I successfully chose sending to my Packstation address in ebay (automated booths for self-service collection of parcels, see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Packstation) that is different from my postal address. Note: Because it's a service of DHL only DHL can put packets/parcels into Packstation booths.

This seller managed to send to my Packstation address with UPS without even asking back or something!  :wtf:

I'm curious how this will end.. Still waiting.  :rant:
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 08:55:29 am by URI »
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6121 on: January 09, 2018, 10:24:58 am »
I reckon it'll end up at the local depot and you'll have to go and get it. That's usually what happens if you use that service in the UK. Near me if you miss a UPS package, they will usually deliver it to a rather nasty little shop you have to go and collect it. Shop is nasty because the guy who runs it hates anyone who has a delivery to pick up and it's got a brothel above it. Looks like you're going in there to ask about something else  :palm:

Got my T12 / 9501 handle finally. Took an hour to drive 2km to the bloody post office to get it. Should have walked.

I have done a quick assembly job on it and it all fits together nicely. Needed some sprue marks cleaned up a bit but looks good. Working out how to wire this to the base unit is going to be interesting.

Source: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/SHEVCHENKO-T12-950-Handle-Digital-Soldering-Station-FX-9501-Handle-Soldering-Iron-For-HAKKO-912-Handle/32835065313.html

I am being careful to avoid where the wiring shrapnel comes out  :-DD

When I receive the other kit I'll look at how to cram the vibration switch and cap etc in it.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6122 on: January 09, 2018, 10:30:06 am »
Replying to anyone who considers buying the above handle; they do a 4 pin one here which should work with the Quickco irons and might be easier than tearing the other one to bits to get the parts out: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/T12-9501-Soldering-Iron-handle-for-HAKKO-T12/32802136633.html

Incidentally, instructions for wiring the handle are in the listing above as well.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 10:35:36 am by bd139 »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6123 on: January 09, 2018, 10:53:49 am »
I reckon it'll end up at the local depot and you'll have to go and get it. That's usually what happens if you use that service in the UK. Near me if you miss a UPS package, they will usually deliver it to a rather nasty little shop you have to go and collect it. Shop is nasty because the guy who runs it hates anyone who has a delivery to pick up and it's got a brothel above it. Looks like you're going in there to ask about something else  :palm:

Got my T12 / 9501 handle finally. Took an hour to drive 2km to the bloody post office to get it. Should have walked.

I have done a quick assembly job on it and it all fits together nicely. Needed some sprue marks cleaned up a bit but looks good. Working out how to wire this to the base unit is going to be interesting.

Source: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/SHEVCHENKO-T12-950-Handle-Digital-Soldering-Station-FX-9501-Handle-Soldering-Iron-For-HAKKO-912-Handle/32835065313.html

I am being careful to avoid where the wiring shrapnel comes out  :-DD

When I receive the other kit I'll look at how to cram the vibration switch and cap etc in it.
Good news at last eh. The answer to how to wire it for the Quicko is here follow steps 1 to 6, use either the mercury or the vibration switch, the 4 pin version does not use the thermister, ntc or the capacitor
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/T12-9501-Soldering-Iron-handle-for-HAKKO-T12/32802136633.html
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6124 on: January 09, 2018, 10:56:52 am »
Cool. That looks relatively easy.

What does the NTC do? I know what the capacitor does.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf