Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 36408858 times)

cellularmitosis and 3003 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 17541
  • Country: us
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #20250 on: November 25, 2018, 03:44:59 am »
*Makes sign of warding against the horrific visage of a HAKKO FX-951*

"Back...! Back you fiend; back to the depths that spawned you!!!"

Seriously... of all the Txx-compatible models you could have chosen from, you HAD to pick the one designed by a sociopathic reject from the Doofenschmirtz School who clearly HATES anybody who has to actually USE the Ifni-accursed thing?  :palm:

The murrr-furrr who designed that thing needs his nutsack ground into a fine paste under the heel of a rhinoceros in heat.  :-DD

mnem
"Kill it! Kill it with FIRE!!! It's just going to catch fire by itself and burn down your workbench anyways!!!" ~ me
Is that the thing coloured like a sort of evil parrot?
Nevertheless: don't go postal.  Reptile, take your medicine!
(I deem it ok, for a Highland)

  P.s.: I was just waiting for any opportunity to throw this pic at you  p.s.2: Empty by now

Right back atcha ;)  :


The evil parrot would be less worrisome.  :-DD

I don't do postal. I am a civilized reptile.  8)

I know the Dragon Blood liqueur looks amazing... alas, it pretty much tastes like a shot of flavored gin or a dry vodka (Think Grey Goose or Tito's) berry cocktail followed by a shot of cinnamon schnapps.  :o

mnem
*Currently very annoyed with his father's laptop*

« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 04:00:01 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °
 

Online xrunner

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 7968
  • Country: us
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #20251 on: November 25, 2018, 04:01:50 am »
And now it makes sense!  :-DD

Yea and the cool thing is I have no SWMBO here to worry about!  :clap:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.
 

Offline 0culus

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3032
  • Country: us
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #20252 on: November 25, 2018, 04:05:56 am »
And now it makes sense!  :-DD

Yea and the cool thing is I have no SWMBO here to worry about!  :clap:

I do, but we have a deal. She doesn't question TEA and I don't question fabric purchases!
 

Offline Mr. Scram

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 9847
  • Country: 00
  • Display aficionado
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #20253 on: November 25, 2018, 04:09:05 am »
I do, but we have a deal. She doesn't question TEA and I don't question fabric purchases!
So now you have a nice oscilloscope but no house any more?
 

Offline 0culus

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3032
  • Country: us
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #20254 on: November 25, 2018, 06:15:06 am »
I do, but we have a deal. She doesn't question TEA and I don't question fabric purchases!
So now you have a nice oscilloscope but no house any more?

I can carry it with me dammit!  :-DD

Real talk though, still have the house. It's just not big enough for TEA...upgrades coming in the near future though!  :-/O
 
The following users thanked this post: Mr. Scram

Offline Ero-Shan

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 571
  • Country: de
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #20255 on: November 25, 2018, 07:32:13 am »


The transformer I use right now has two heater windings, but since the mains voltage was raised to 230 volts, they're a tad too high (7.1 volts) for my taste. And I prefer DC, of course. Alas, 7 volts AC doesn't leave enough headroom for regulation to 6.3 volts after full-wave rectification.
A third transformer  just for that? These are the reasons for my undecidedness. ;) And I have plenty of lab supplies (remember the 9 HP E6114A).



That should not be an issue. As soon as you load the filament windings with tubes it will drop to closer to 6.3 volts. And tubes aren't real fussy with their filament voltage anyway as long as it isn't ridiculously high or low.

With just one or two filaments as load it won't drop much. But you're right, they certainly can take it, and even if they wear out sooner (can't even remember a tube with a broken filament; but that might just be my failing memory) I guess I wouldn't live long enough to see it.
At least I should have fuses to keep short circuits from damaging things.  ;)
 

Offline Ero-Shan

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 571
  • Country: de
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #20256 on: November 25, 2018, 07:49:53 am »

There's an Agilent 54641d (complete with probes!) on german fleabay. https://www.ebay.de/itm/302962251973 As I'm not at all happy with my Rigol's logic analyzer, that thing looks interesting to me. What do you think?
So? Did you get it? Even as I am not exactly a fan of this series (and manufacturer, when talking scopes), it should be much better that a Rigol and the end price seemed quite adequate.

Shame on me. I spent the afternoon baking bread and making an inventory of my transformers (even if they have some type numbers on them, that doesn't tell you much). After that, I've totally forgotten about the scope. Remembered it when I went to bed.
When I looked it up this morning, I was kinda glad to see that the price was way over my limit. With devices that I don't really want or need my limit is rather low.

Quote
On the topic of enclosures. for standard instrument needs (anything below 19" and not RF or environmental, and needing no special form factor) I can only recommend the range from Feltron Zeissler.
Especially the possibility to insert a mounting plate at mid-height lends itself to nice solutions.

I'll have a look at them, thanks!
 

Offline tggzzz

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 23122
  • Country: gb
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #20257 on: November 25, 2018, 08:57:20 am »
I know the Dragon Blood liqueur looks amazing... alas, it pretty much tastes like a shot of flavored gin or a dry vodka (Think Grey Goose or Tito's) berry cocktail followed by a shot of cinnamon schnapps.  :o

A good rule of thumb is anything (not just alcohol) that looks like that has been twitted to appeal to youngsters/chavs/etc that think it is fun and cool (or is that kewl?). Fine for the tramsitory amusement factor, but no more than that.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less
 

Offline med6753

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 11346
  • Country: us
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #20258 on: November 25, 2018, 10:32:38 am »
More shenanigans with these damn Tek attenuators. :wtf:  One of the 7A15A plug-ins has again developed intermittent operation .2 volts/div and below. But I finally found the cause. In the first pix the 5th contact from the right had high resistance. And I suspect I know why. This 7A15A was a separate Ebay purchase. I think it sat around for many years not being used. The contacts on the rear of the attenuator board are engaged firmly with the cam on the volts/div switch. The contacts on this facing side rely solely on their spring tension to make good contact with the board. I think this contact was held open (up) for years and lost some it's tension therefore making poor contact. The fix? A very slight and careful tweak with a pair of needle nose. It now makes excellent contact as verified with an ohm meter. 2nd pix shows the attenuator blocks reinstalled. And the last pix is the result. And so far solid operation when changing ranges. But if it acts up again I know exactly what to check.



   
An old gray beard with an attitude.
 

Offline bd139

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 23102
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #20259 on: November 25, 2018, 10:37:09 am »
Nice one. Those things are bastards and I’ve had enough of them!  :-DD
 

Offline Specmaster

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 14488
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #20260 on: November 25, 2018, 10:42:34 am »
I do, but we have a deal. She doesn't question TEA and I don't question fabric purchases!
So now you have a nice oscilloscope but no house any more?

I can carry it with me dammit!  :-DD

Real talk though, still have the house. It's just not big enough for TEA...upgrades coming in the near future though!  :-/O
Maybe SWMBO make a tent out of the fabric for you?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi
 

Offline LapTop006

  • Supporter
  • ****
  • Posts: 467
  • Country: au
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #20261 on: November 25, 2018, 10:43:35 am »
Well it's taken a few months of spare time, but I've finally read all the backlog in this thread.

For my own contribution I finally got my Stanford Research collection all* in one place.



*: There's a parts-only DS345 elsewhere, of course that's the one with the GPIB & RS232 ports, so I'll probably attempt a recovery at some point.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 10:46:06 am by LapTop006 »
 
The following users thanked this post: Zucca, Neomys Sapiens

Offline med6753

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 11346
  • Country: us
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #20262 on: November 25, 2018, 10:49:23 am »
Nice one. Those things are bastards and I’ve had enough of them!  :-DD

They are bastard tants 2nd cousin.  |O
An old gray beard with an attitude.
 

Offline med6753

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 11346
  • Country: us
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #20263 on: November 25, 2018, 10:51:18 am »
Well it's taken a few months of spare time, but I've finally read all the backlog in this thread.

For my own contribution I finally got my Stanford Research collection all* in one place.



*: There's a parts-only DS345 elsewhere, of course that's the one with the GPIB & RS232 ports, so I'll probably attempt a recovery at some point.



Wow, volt nuttery to the max!  :-+ :-+
An old gray beard with an attitude.
 

Offline LapTop006

  • Supporter
  • ****
  • Posts: 467
  • Country: au
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #20264 on: November 25, 2018, 11:13:39 am »
Wow, volt nuttery to the max!  :-+ :-+

Nah, there's nothing very volt-nutty about that part of the collection (it will be time-nutty soon enough, just out of shot is my Efratom FRK rubidium and Spectracom 8140 waiting to all be cabled up, sadly no GPS reception where I live, and I still haven't lugged my cesium clock home from the office). The resistance standard is decent enough, but the rest is all pretty standard.

The volt-nutty part is on the other side of the room.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 11:15:52 am by LapTop006 »
 

Offline mnementh

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 17541
  • Country: us
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #20265 on: November 25, 2018, 03:03:12 pm »
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK!!! :scared:

The transformer I use right now has two heater windings, but since the mains voltage was raised to 230 volts, they're a tad too high (7.1 volts) for my taste. And I prefer DC, of course. Alas, 7 volts AC doesn't leave enough headroom for regulation to 6.3 volts after full-wave rectification.
A third transformer  just for that? These are the reasons for my undecidedness. ;) And I have plenty of lab supplies (remember the 9 HP E6114A)
That should not be an issue. As soon as you load the filament windings with tubes it will drop to closer to 6.3 volts. And tubes aren't real fussy with their filament voltage anyway as long as it isn't ridiculously high or low.
With just one or two filaments as load it won't drop much. But you're right, they certainly can take it, and even if they wear out sooner (can't even remember a tube with a broken filament; but that might just be my failing memory) I guess I wouldn't live long enough to see it.
At least I should have fuses to keep short circuits from damaging things.  ;)
Use an 1156 or an 1157 bulb with both filaments in parallel as a "pilot light" across the filament winding. At 6-7V it'll last forever, and it'll give your front panel that cozy orange glow. :D

Nice one. Those things are bastards and I’ve had enough of them!  :-DD
They are bastard tants 2nd cousin.  |O

   TANTS!!!   >:D

mnem
SNAUSAGES!!!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 03:04:56 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °
 

Offline mnementh

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 17541
  • Country: us
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #20266 on: November 25, 2018, 03:44:17 pm »
[Bit of Random Over My Morning Cuppa Coffee Mode]

Quote from: slashdot.org
That Time The Windows Kernel Fought Gamma Rays Corrupting Its Processor Cache (microsoft.com)
Posted by EditorDavid on Sunday November 25, 2018 @10:34AM from the cosmic-coding dept.

Long-time Microsoft programmer Raymond Chen recently shared a memory about an unusual single-line instruction that was once added into the Windows kernel code -- accompanied by an "incredulous" comment from the Microsoft programmer who added it:

;
; Invalidate the processor cache so that any stray gamma
; rays (I'm serious) that may have flipped cache bits
; while in S1 will be ignored.
;
; Honestly. The processor manufacturer asked for this.
; I'm serious.
invd

"Less than three weeks later, the INVD instruction was commented out," writes Chen. "But the comment block remains.

"In case we decide to resume trying to deal with gamma rays corrupting the the processor cache, I guess."

[/Bit of Random Over My Morning Cuppa Coffee Mode]

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °
 

Offline Cerebus

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 10576
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #20267 on: November 25, 2018, 04:47:50 pm »
OK, what does SWMBO mean? It's not in the glossary in post 1!  :-DD

She Who Must Be Obeyed.  :-DD

And now it makes sense!  :-DD

It only truly makes sense once you have learned to mentally hear Leo McKern playing Rumpole (of Rumpole of the Bailey ) saying "She, who must be obeyed" everytime you see SWMBO written.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?
 
The following users thanked this post: nixiefreqq

Offline med6753

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 11346
  • Country: us
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #20268 on: November 25, 2018, 05:25:05 pm »
SWMBO
An old gray beard with an attitude.
 

Offline Cerebus

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 10576
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #20269 on: November 25, 2018, 08:56:33 pm »
SWMBO
Na, not Ridder Haggard's 'She', Rumpole's 'She', Hilda Rumpole:



Ob Fact: Leo McKern (who played the very English Rumpole in the long running UK TV series) was actually an Aussie. Educated at Sydney Technical High School in Bexley, the other side of Sydney from where Dave is in Baulkham Hills.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?
 

Offline bd139

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 23102
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #20270 on: November 25, 2018, 09:39:51 pm »
On topic for once. Managed to snag a sacrificial 7B53A plugin for £20. This will provide me with a replacement sweep IC (if it works) for the 465, a couple of CA3046 ICs, button surrounds, a nice bourns 5k 10 turn pot and knob and a ton of Tek numbered transistors as spares.

The 10 turn pots are usually about £15-16 a go so it makes sense.

I may be tempted to fix the 465 now. Just need to work on the attenuators.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 09:42:38 pm by bd139 »
 

Offline med6753

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 11346
  • Country: us
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #20271 on: November 25, 2018, 10:30:41 pm »
SWMBO
Na, not Ridder Haggard's 'She', Rumpole's 'She', Hilda Rumpole:



Ob Fact: Leo McKern (who played the very English Rumpole in the long running UK TV series) was actually an Aussie. Educated at Sydney Technical High School in Bexley, the other side of Sydney from where Dave is in Baulkham Hills.

I'm not familiar with that ugly "She". But I am familiar with the good looking "She" (Ursula Andress)  :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.
 

Offline med6753

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 11346
  • Country: us
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #20272 on: November 25, 2018, 10:36:28 pm »
On topic for once. Managed to snag a sacrificial 7B53A plugin for £20. This will provide me with a replacement sweep IC (if it works) for the 465, a couple of CA3046 ICs, button surrounds, a nice bourns 5k 10 turn pot and knob and a ton of Tek numbered transistors as spares.

The 10 turn pots are usually about £15-16 a go so it makes sense.

I may be tempted to fix the 465 now. Just need to work on the attenuators.

Did I inspire you to tackle the attenuators one more time with my successful repair? If so, I take full credit.  :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.
 

Offline bd139

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 23102
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #20273 on: November 25, 2018, 10:38:27 pm »
You did indeed and deserve the credit :)

I got it dismantled this far down last time so it would be a crime to give up too!



 

Offline med6753

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 11346
  • Country: us
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #20274 on: November 25, 2018, 11:00:07 pm »
You did indeed and deserve the credit :)

I got it dismantled this far down last time so it would be a crime to give up too!



You got the damn thing all broken down. It should be an easy fix. I'll bet you have some contacts that have lost some of their tension too.
An old gray beard with an attitude.
 


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf

 

-->