Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 15606234 times)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #20300 on: November 26, 2018, 09:53:03 pm »
Yep aware of those.  Have an archive of that :) ... Tangible copies are worth more to people. The books are technical classics really so seem to fetch a high amount of money.

You do get some proper loons though. One guy I sold a book to told me about the amateur radio doomsday prepper library he was building. I couldn't help picture him sitting there as a skeleton draped over his key because he forgot to pack food...

I'm just an honest businessman who knows how to put supply in touch with demand for a markup to pay for my TEA habit  :-DD

Talking of TEA habit, 5pm and no Tek scope bits have arrived yet. Was hoping to blow myself up on that 2235 power supply again this evening!
Over on the Tek forum, there's a 2215 going free if you want to collect from Brighton?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20301 on: November 26, 2018, 09:57:58 pm »
Sheesh.  You guys with all the TEA.  You have more money than I to burn on this, and here TEE is my middle name!  (Really, seriously, Tee is my middle name.)  I am a Test Equipment Enthusiast by name.

So sad.  I'm way behind. 
Its the same in all walks of life, there's always going to be those who are flush with cash that will be way out in front. Just work with what you have and slowly chip away when you can and before you know you will some way along that path in comparison to someone just starting, its all a matter of perspective  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20302 on: November 26, 2018, 10:04:30 pm »
Over on the Tek forum, there's a 2215 going free if you want to collect from Brighton?

Thanks for the heads up but can’t be bothered :D

Sheesh.  You guys with all the TEA.  You have more money than I to burn on this, and here TEE is my middle name!  (Really, seriously, Tee is my middle name.)  I am a Test Equipment Enthusiast by name.

So sad.  I'm way behind. 
Its the same in all walks of life, there's always going to be those who are flush with cash that will be way out in front. Just work with what you have and slowly chip away when you can and before you know you will some way along that path in comparison to someone just starting, its all a matter of perspective  :-+

Definitely. Going back a few years now I started out this time with bugger all. So far my net expenditure is zero. Plan is adding value to make stuff working again. Running whole TEA off 0% interest credit card. Today’s balance is £12 :)

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20303 on: November 26, 2018, 11:12:42 pm »
On topic for once. Managed to snag a sacrificial 7B53A plugin for £20. This will provide me with a replacement sweep IC (if it works) for the 465, a couple of CA3046 ICs, button surrounds, a nice bourns 5k 10 turn pot and knob and a ton of Tek numbered transistors as spares.

The 10 turn pots are usually about £15-16 a go so it makes sense.

I may be tempted to fix the 465 now. Just need to work on the attenuators.

Did I inspire you to tackle the attenuators one more time with my successful repair? If so, I take full credit.  :-DD
After reading your repair report, I just want to remark that there are some tools which might be better suited to the task of adjusting those contacts: there are special, very thin adjusting pliers (which also come in very convenient shapes, such as angled sideways) as well as little levers with slotted protrusions at their ends (in varying slot widths and orientations) which were common in the age of open relays and stepping switches. The latter even lend themselves well to self manufacture. You can adjust even delicate contacts to perfection, which is much harder using ordinary tools.

I will provide pictures when I bring my digital camera back from the office in the next days.
German terms are Justierzange and Kontakt-Federspanner (spring tensioner).
p.s.: here's such an item
https://www.ebay.de/itm/Einsteller-Kontakt-Kontakteinsteller-Federspanner-Zuendkontakt-Bundeswehr-Bund-Bw-/152729403958?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 03:50:34 am by Neomys Sapiens »

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20304 on: November 27, 2018, 12:00:58 am »
Well it's taken a few months of spare time, but I've finally read all the backlog in this thread.

For my own contribution I finally got my Stanford Research collection all* in one place.

*: There's a parts-only DS345 elsewhere, of course that's the one with the GPIB & RS232 ports, so I'll probably attempt a recovery at some point.

Impressive collection. I like the SRS gear, but I haven't managed to aquire one yet. :'(
Their LCR bridge is definitely one of the better ones, and I'm still hoping for a affordable SG380, as it is the only signal generator fulfilling my wishes regarding size AND versatility AND range.
The 620 is a great counter, specially for time interval measurements.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #20305 on: November 27, 2018, 12:54:51 am »

Ummm... you said you're having HV problems... the tripler/flyback transformer on the 22xx is pretty much unobtanium. I got lucky 10 years ago and bought the last one NOS/NIB that somebody had squirreled away.

Same with the HV diodes in the tripler circuit, IIRC.

mnem
"For free; TAKE! For buy; waste time." ~ grand-dad
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20306 on: November 27, 2018, 01:25:43 am »

I had this book on my bench in the high school AV Lab where I got my start. Much of the intercom and phonograph gear was still valve-driven; I remember the old Wollensak reel-reels that were built like a freaking '57 New Yorker (in case you didn't know, that car is widely regarded as the ultimate demolition derby survivor) and almost as heavy as one.

Even now I can smell the musty old pulp (similar to a real ECG cross-reference) and feel the grain (not as smooth) under my touch... *Sigh*

mnem
*Suddenly feeling very old*
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 01:36:12 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #20307 on: November 27, 2018, 01:39:50 am »
Well it's taken a few months of spare time, but I've finally read all the backlog in this thread.

Woah! :o That is quite a feat, indeed. We should have an award for the accomplishment.

For my own contribution I finally got my Stanford Research collection all* in one place.

Very nice collection on that side. I see you've got one of those pesky-handled Fluke A90's at the top of the stack, too.

Hehe. Can we get some good deals on test equipment in that shack?
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #20308 on: November 27, 2018, 01:42:52 am »

mnem
Not sure about that...... well actually I am, there's squillions of them available.... let Google be your friend.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20309 on: November 27, 2018, 01:49:11 am »
Got this box-o-junque given to me today by the guy who operates our repeater. It was given to him by the previous repeater owner. Some interesting things such as attenuators, meters, preamps, box-o-ICs and a 10 MHz oscillator. The Simpson meters have no part numbers on the outside so have to open them up.

Lots of nice goodies in there, xrunner. Score!

I thought the 10 MHz osc. might be interesting so I opened it up. Is it home-made? Someone carefully packed it with slices of foam. No schematic but upon a quick glance it has an LM78L09 regulator, and a 2N2222 for the output, among the crystal and other parts. It works and gets hot, but the output waveform is not that pretty. Might check the output transistor, but we'll put it aside for now.

Yeah, that output is pretty funky. Might work OK, depending on how cranky the input is on whatever you intend to clock with it. Would be interesting to see what's generating the noise. I suppose you could always Schmidt trigger it, if all else fails.

Interesting box of stuff. Those Pomona boxes are worth their weight in gold even if the stuff in them is knackered  :-+

Yeah, they caught my eye, too. Just swap out the innards with whatever little circuit you want and you're ready to go with the connectors already installed. I'm sure bd139 would love to get his hands on such a box of goodies.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20310 on: November 27, 2018, 01:59:36 am »

So sad.  I'm way behind.

No worries, Housedad. It's not a race. Afterall, if you tap out early, then there's no more fun to be had. Find your pace and all will be well. We vicariously enjoy one another's equipment, too.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20311 on: November 27, 2018, 02:01:55 am »

So sad.  I'm way behind. 

Definitely. Going back a few years now I started out this time with bugger all. So far my net expenditure is zero. Plan is adding value to make stuff working again. Running whole TEA off 0% interest credit card. Today’s balance is £12 :)

Well done, bd. I haven't yet reached break even. Too much non-TEA getting in the way of my repair queue.  I am making progress, though. Slowly, but surely.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #20312 on: November 27, 2018, 02:04:56 am »
Just an update on my new TEA the hp 8904 Multifunction Synthesizer - it shipped today. I plan on doing some typical things such as replacing the backup battery, replacing the Schaffner line filter (another oldie design that likes to blow itself up  :o ), and enable all the options such as 001 which allows modulation of the output by the added internal channels. Apparently it's like the Rigol DS1054Z: it had everything inside but you had to pay to enable it (well before the hacks ...).

The Defpom has a few videos on the thing which will help me, provided my brain can learn the New Zealand accent he has - it's pretty thick.  :P
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #20313 on: November 27, 2018, 02:28:52 am »

So sad.  I'm way behind.

No worries, Housedad. It's not a race. Afterall, if you tap out early, then there's no more fun to be had. Find your pace and all will be well.
Housedad - I know exactly how you feel.  I keep reading about all these Tek 465's and 475's people are tripping over in North America and sigh about the desert that is Australia.

We vicariously enjoy one another's equipment, too.
This is how I deal with it.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20314 on: November 27, 2018, 04:17:45 am »

mnem
Not sure about that...... well actually I am, there's squillions of them available.... let Google be your friend.  ;)
Meh... I said IIRC. So I didn't R C-ily. If the worst thing that happens to you in a day is you were wrong about 1/3 of an offhand comment on the internet... it's been a good day.  :-DD

mnem
 :popcorn:
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 04:23:51 am by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20315 on: November 27, 2018, 05:06:53 am »

What sorcery is this?!?  ???   I don't know whether to be terrified, amused, or nauseated.  :-//

And I suppose more importantly... do I dare leave this crushed, folded, spindled, and otherwise accursed Kung-Fu cribbery alone in a room with my two small children, lest they offend it with their irrepressibly rude, unruly behavior and become the subject of its supernatural ire?  :scared:

mnem
It's like they turned a TARDIS inside-out.  :o

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20316 on: November 27, 2018, 06:15:51 am »
It's a trap!

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20317 on: November 27, 2018, 07:56:19 am »
That’s pretty neat. Sure beats the comedy I watched when the last mattress I bought turned up. King size jobby delivered by the chuckle brothers. One got himself and the mattress stuck in the door and had a panic attack  :palm:

mnem

I’ve actually had offers of parts from about three people now. The tek community is really helpful. Someone off list I already know actually lives about 10 minutes away in Feltham too and will extract any bits I need from an actual 2235 which got the CRT popped.

As for diodes I’ve got piles of the things now. I went crazy and bought a load. Then used two  :-DD

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #20318 on: November 27, 2018, 08:34:26 am »
Same with the HV diodes in the tripler circuit, IIRC. [unobtanium]

What's so special about them that, say, http://hvstuff.com/high-voltage-diodes-and-rectifiers doesn't have them?

They sell 15kV 4A 100nS (hopefully ns!) diodes for a mere $25, or you can have 100kV 5mA diodes etc. A 12kV 5mA diode costs $0.34.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20319 on: November 27, 2018, 08:37:23 am »
The 12KV 5mA ones from there are the one I bought 20 of ;)

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #20320 on: November 27, 2018, 10:30:31 am »
This HP kit looks nice inside.
For comparison, my latest TEA addition: https://cb.wunderkis.de/wk/AC-Source-EAC/teardown/

Still have to figure out how to operate the thing, it doesn't have any controls, everything via RS232, no description or manual nor software available. Manufacturer has still to answer my email, wonder if they'll ever do. About the same time this thing was manufactured (1990 ... 2000), I've worked for a small company, the boss would have declined support for a long time out of production unit.
Well, I know where they are sited. If they don't answer, we can molest them personally.

Okay, it's just about 160km from me

No answer from them until now, didn't wait anymore and made my own project out of it:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/et-system-ac-source-eac-500/
Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20321 on: November 27, 2018, 12:22:58 pm »

What sorcery is this?!?  ???   I don't know whether to be terrified, amused, or nauseated.  :-//

And I suppose more importantly... do I dare leave this crushed, folded, spindled, and otherwise accursed Kung-Fu cribbery alone in a room with my two small children, lest they offend it with their irrepressibly rude, unruly behavior and become the subject of its supernatural ire?  :scared:

mnem
It's like they turned a TARDIS inside-out.  :o

Looks like an ideal companion to my Cat Eating Quilt-Monstertm - which is  simply really the huge real down duvet that I used to have that could eat as many as four cats for Breakfast and still have room for more.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20322 on: November 27, 2018, 01:32:15 pm »
Same with the HV diodes in the tripler circuit, IIRC. [unobtanium]

What's so special about them that, say, http://hvstuff.com/high-voltage-diodes-and-rectifiers doesn't have them?

They sell 15kV 4A 100nS (hopefully ns!) diodes for a mere $25, or you can have 100kV 5mA diodes etc. A 12kV 5mA diode costs $0.34.

Oh, sweet cheese and crackers... :palm: Try a little effing context, people...

Ummm... you said you're having HV problems... the tripler/flyback transformer on the 22xx is pretty much unobtanium. I got lucky 10 years ago and bought the last one NOS/NIB that somebody had squirreled away.

mnem
Meh... I said IIRC. So I didn't R C-ily. If the worst thing that happens to you in a day is you were wrong about 1/3 of an offhand comment on the internet... it's been a good day.  :-DD

mnem
 :popcorn:
If you must know, at the time I was thinking I remembered them being an odd combination of fast rise time and HV rating, and ridiculously expensive. I was ALSO thinking it wasn't worth the effing hassle of looking the little gawddammits up, so I deliberately predicated that 1/3 of my statement with "IIRC"...   

mnem

And now, I'll be fewked if I'm EVER gonna look 'em up unless someone puts a gun to my head... just on general principles.  :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20323 on: November 27, 2018, 01:33:48 pm »
About to power up the “repaired” 2235 switcher. Wish me luck. If I don’t post again it took me out as well this time  :-DD

Safety glasses and ear protection donned!

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #20324 on: November 27, 2018, 01:38:27 pm »

...........BIG SNIP...........
mnem

And now, I'll be fewked if I'm EVER gonna look 'em up unless someone puts a gun to my head... just on general principles.  :-DD

Holy crap, who pissed in your wheaties this morning?  :o :-DD Go have some more coffee and calm the fuck down.  :-DD :-DD :-DD
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 01:40:20 pm by med6753 »
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf