Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 15288833 times)

K0ELB, doktor pyta and 26 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #26450 on: March 02, 2019, 05:31:01 am »
There is a reason I choose not to upload videos of me Kite Surfing - I can but my board skills aren't great on one tack ;) It can be a bit hard on the knees and if you get Teabag'd badly water can hurt  :o

Plenty of good Land spots on the Coorong Beaches and Salt Pans and also up North of St Kilda. The main beaches of Adelaide are great but to many humans to really let it all out. We did get North Haven closed for a Race a long while ago and I got the Buggy wound up to 93km/hr on one of the legs.
Land yachting - That really has to hurt if you get it wrong!
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #26451 on: March 02, 2019, 05:35:12 am »
@bean and @inverted reminds me of my 20s yr old obsession with sailboarding - 4 boards then, too many sails, never made a forward loop - gave it a shot though - owwwch.
I still have a 250litre racing sailboard and a 195cm slalom for flat water blasting - sails/masts/booms etc.
I am at 37 degrees south latitude - so in the winter the roaring forties come through - now I don't fit my wetsuit - don't they shrink with age? (nope - something else has expanded)
Rob
I tried my friend Lazlo's wind sailboard and nearly died. I can/have harnessed the ocean energy quite well but add the wind into the equation and its a different world.In my youth I traveled a lot to surf, not so much anymore, but I still tune into the WCT and the like to stay involved.

Once upon a time I did BMX; hung with the crazies doing freestyle and imagined myself someday sailing to Kauai to learn how to surf. Never found the balance for anything without wheels; to this day I can't ski and I can barely ice skate.  Some guys have it, I don't.:-//

Just for shits & giggles I dropped by Surfline... skimming the current standings and wildcards; I had to snarff. Feel is very much the same as 20 years ago; it's kinda like deja vu... it's kinda like deja vu...
Quote from: Surfline.com
...As far as Injury Wildcards go, we’ve seen worse. Kelly Slater, John John Florence and Tyler Wright have been officially announced as the CT Wildcards for 2019. That’s a lazy 15 World Titles between the trio. The criteria for the slots, according to the WSL, is based on a medical assessment — followed by technical criteria that takes in World Titles, career results, prior year ranking and ranking at time of injury.

Caio Ibelli, the other surfer in contention, ranked highly on the medical side (he missed eight events through injury), but probably would have needed to have his neck broken, by a shark, in the judges’ tower, to rise above Florence and Slater on the other criteria.

Needless to say, Ibelli was less-than-stoked, posting the following on Instagram. “Sincerely, I disagree with the decision, Kelly used and abused. He went to 20-foot Fiji during the Keramas event,  got 3rd in the pool and did not go to France the following week. This is the second consecutive year he uses the same wave. Is it fair?” (Note: this was translated using Google translate.)

*Sigh*

mnem
*What-might-have-been vs Glory Days*
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 05:48:51 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: VK5RC, Inverted18650

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26452 on: March 02, 2019, 05:40:44 am »
All the little fiddly bits...

(SNIP)   Just before bedtime I cleaned and glued the spacer down. This morning, I did the same silicone fiddly-bit with the rubber gasket, gluing it to the spacer; next will come hot-gluing the metal bridge down, and hopefully I can get on with actually installing the new screen.  :box:

mnem
"A true mechanic uses all tools at his disposal." ~ grand-dad

Okay... partial fail. Silicone glued the spacer to the glass awesomely... wouldn't even hold up against gravity on the rubber gasket.   ::)

So... half the equation; now time to shop for one of the pre-adhesived gaskets, hopefully from a US vendor.

[EDIT]

So... I find a listing right off; US vendor, lots of successful transactions, two pieces (so I can still have a chance to get it right after I foxtrot the first one) only $4.99 and free Shipping by Wednesday. Two slots down, same vendor... same part... 10 pieces for $6.99.

You KNOW which one I got.  :palm:

[/EDIT]

mnem
Yes, it's a sickness. And whatever it is, I bet it's hard to pronounce.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 05:50:15 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #26453 on: March 02, 2019, 05:40:53 am »
Because of the mast and seatbelt the worst tend to be a bit of bruising and a red face from embarrassment ;D Basically you have an Aluminium tripod keeping you away from the ground. The Class 5 I have tops out a touch over 100 on Salt.

The Kite powered buggies are a bit different. We run a pair of 200kg+ power lines on them. Worst injury 60+km/hr major wind gust dropping me onto the rear wheel kidney first then flipping me face down onto the sand to have the 12kg of buggy smack me on the back of the head just to remind me I got it wrong - helmets are just sensible always. A few dumb mates of mine have used seatbelts and had broken collar bones when the extra buggy leverage and weight twisted them on impact.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: VK5RC

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #26454 on: March 02, 2019, 06:47:03 am »
Crazy, crazy and crazy!
I am definitely more risk averse as I get older, 56yrs, 'mountain' walking and cycling are keeping me a little fit, I say 'mountain' as in South Oz are hills are so old and eroded that a 10% slope is considered steep. 18 months ago visited the Canadian Rockies - those are Mountains - Sir!
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

The following users thanked this post: Inverted18650

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #26455 on: March 02, 2019, 06:57:32 am »
Do I or don't I ?  :scared:

@ nearly $2/MHz I'm thinking about it for old times sake.  :-//
Would I ever use it, probably not........shit I sold off all this old stuff years ago !  :=\
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.   Come visit us at EMEX Stand #1001 https://www.emex.co.nz/
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26456 on: March 02, 2019, 07:49:50 am »
Crazy, crazy and crazy!
I am definitely more risk averse as I get older, 56yrs, 'mountain' walking and cycling are keeping me a little fit, I say 'mountain' as in South Oz are hills are so old and eroded that a 10% slope is considered steep. 18 months ago visited the Canadian Rockies - those are Mountains - Sir!

You are not that old then, I made it to 50 last year in spite of the bouncing of the body of solid surfaces, nothing wrong with me or at least I don't reckon  ::)

It is the slow down in recovery after the event be it Hangover, Bruising and Breaking of bits or fairly most forms of misuse of the aging body. I don't race any more and even on the Push bike I take it a bit more cautiously lest the red stuff leak out. Still not ready for the bubble wrap suit ;)

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #26457 on: March 02, 2019, 08:16:22 am »
Crazy, crazy and crazy!

They are rounded and polished.

Try the Via Ferrata walking/climbing paths in the Dolomites. The Dolomites are very pretty and there are routes from strolling up scree slopes to overhanging climbing :) Plus there are mountain huts everywhere, and at some they helicopter in supplies :) Examples...

You can walk or climb up here: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@46.5602642,11.8128732,3a,37.2y,185.96h,83.14t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1sAF1QipP-HOSGwOmNcqBxHj4ii2yiIz_YdsMPcKBeo2fe!2e10!3e11!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipP-HOSGwOmNcqBxHj4ii2yiIz_YdsMPcKBeo2fe%3Dw203-h100-k-no-pi-10.949902-ya237.5-ro-0-fo100!7i8704!8i4352!5m2!1e1!1e4

... to stay at this 10.5kft "hut": https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@46.5365507,11.8210857,3a,75y,101.57h,96.13t/data=!3m11!1e1!3m9!1sAF1QipO_TKKkES4zsE-7EapM2sF8MMoyu8vv2h37ICIU!2e10!3e11!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipO_TKKkES4zsE-7EapM2sF8MMoyu8vv2h37ICIU%3Dw203-h100-k-no-pi-0-ya222.8796-ro-0-fo100!7i8704!8i4352!9m2!1b1!2i45!5m2!1e4!1e1

There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26458 on: March 02, 2019, 08:19:34 am »
I'm going to feed the children now... not sure who I'm going to feed them to.

My daughter wants to bury me when I'm dead. I tell her that's her choice and I really don't care - as far as I am concerned she can feed (what's left of) me to her dog.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #26459 on: March 02, 2019, 08:21:48 am »

Would I ever use it, probably not........shit I sold off all this old stuff years ago !  :=\

You know what answer you're gonna get if you ask us.  :-DD And it sounds like you've already made up your mind. And think of the history. Bd139's mother might have built it!   :clap: :-+
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26460 on: March 02, 2019, 08:25:34 am »
Headed to FL tomorrow to feed my addiction. FLUKE CAL MADNESS!

Make sure you take the time to get wet in the ocean even without a board :)

There is not any surf to speak of on the east coast right now, but I will definitely take a long swim...SALT-WATER THERAPY  :-+

Surf... storm surge... tidal wave...

You say potato, I say topah-toe.  :-DD

mnem
Clams got feet!!!

... I say bore.

Severn bore, that is.
https://youtu.be/eVKuLwvGFk4?t=115

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #26461 on: March 02, 2019, 08:43:42 am »

You know what answer you're gonna get if you ask us.  :-DD And it sounds like you've already made up your mind. And think of the history. Bd139's mother might have built it!   :clap: :-+
Yeah I know, all that.
Gunna sleep on it some, hopefully someone will hit Buy Now and save me from myself.  ::)
The one I had holds special memories as my first scope however the stuff I have now is in another league.

Then again it’s a big birthday coming for me this week..........
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.   Come visit us at EMEX Stand #1001 https://www.emex.co.nz/
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26462 on: March 02, 2019, 08:52:36 am »
If it works buy it. If it doesn’t run a mile. If my mother built it, run a mile (she said that not me)  :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #26463 on: March 02, 2019, 09:26:41 am »
If it works buy it. If it doesn’t run a mile. If my mother built it, run a mile (she said that not me)  :-DD

:-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD

Offline exor

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #26464 on: March 02, 2019, 09:29:33 am »
I’m not volt-nuttering, just comparing these old dudes. Actually I don’t know which one is accurate (if any), now I need better reference.. ;)

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26465 on: March 02, 2019, 09:31:36 am »
I’m not volt-nuttering, just comparing these old dudes. Actually I don’t know which one is accurate (if any), now I need better reference.. ;)

Nice old School tools :-+ Come on in the Rabbit Hole always has room for one more  :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #26466 on: March 02, 2019, 09:33:32 am »

Nice old School tools :-+ Come on in the Rabbit Hole always has room for one more  :-DD

Offline exor

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #26467 on: March 02, 2019, 09:53:21 am »

Thanks!  ;)

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26468 on: March 02, 2019, 12:05:29 pm »
I’m not volt-nuttering, just comparing these old dudes.

Of course you are.

Actually I don’t know which one is accurate (if any), now I need better reference.. ;)

Getting all your meters to agree is cheap and easy.

Getting your meter to agree with other people's meters is the entrance to the subterranean world.

Welcome :)

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #26469 on: March 02, 2019, 12:13:34 pm »
It's a trap!   :scared:

But now you're here ... it's too late.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26470 on: March 02, 2019, 05:13:14 pm »
*Huggles his 189 close*

:-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD

"Oh, I would walk five hundred miles... and I would walk five  hundred more..."  :-DD

In other news...

This morning, before I even wake up, Mother makes a fresh full pot, then perversely puts all my coffee cups in the wash and abandons me to the little gabblers (and they've been gabbling like chipmunks since the butt-crack of dawn) while she goes for a pedicure. So I stole her mug and made it mine for the duration.   :P

Shhhhhhhh...

mnem
"Yes, baby... you can give your sister a bowl of Sugar-Frosted Flakes of Sugar and watch her head explode... as long as you do it quietly."
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 05:15:41 pm by mnementh »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26471 on: March 02, 2019, 05:21:04 pm »
Big clear out here. Managed to bag up and itemise about 18Kg of TH components today I still had lying around. They’re all going. I am keeping two small boxes of SMD parts and that’s it. I am afraid of turning into a hoarder  :-DD

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #26472 on: March 02, 2019, 05:29:35 pm »
At sixty, falling down hurts more and recovering from falling down takes longer. A lot longer. That doesn't stop me from doing stuff in which falling down happens; I just do it a little more slowly and not quite as often.

BTW, where did you find that bubble suit? Something like that could come in handy...

specialization is for insects.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26473 on: March 02, 2019, 05:31:39 pm »

@ nearly $2/MHz I'm thinking about it for old times sake.  :-//   Would I ever use it, probably not........shit I sold off all this old stuff years ago !  :=\

If you're going to do such a damn-fool thing (we're all damned fools here ;) ), that does seem like a prime-condition example of the breed.

Looks like the timebase knob is even intact; and from what I've seen, that alone makes it a good find.

Big clear out here. Managed to bag up and itemise about 18Kg of TH components today I still had lying around. They’re all going. I am keeping two small boxes of SMD parts and that’s it. I am afraid of turning into a hoarder  :-DD

Sounds like this is the perfect time for you to hit the BIN button and save tautech from himself.  :-DD

mnem
*agitating-ily*

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #26474 on: March 02, 2019, 07:02:03 pm »

@ nearly $2/MHz I'm thinking about it for old times sake.  :-//   Would I ever use it, probably not........shit I sold off all this old stuff years ago !  :=\

If you're going to do such a damn-fool thing (we're all damned fools here ;) ), that does seem like a prime-condition example of the breed.

Looks like the timebase knob is even intact; and from what I've seen, that alone makes it a good find.

Not only that, the CRT looks to be a nice size, which makes it a good candidate for use as an X-Y display for an octopus. The small footprint of the vertical enclosure is a bench-top bonus compared to horizontal scopes.

Used, and even broken, Huntron Trackers demand crazy prices. I haven't looked into them in detail, but do they do something(s) special to warrant the premium cost?
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf