Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 15695248 times)

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #26625 on: March 06, 2019, 03:27:31 am »
You haven't seen the goody bag yet you may want to retract that thanks >:D

There is a few videos on youtube about converting Video distribution Amps for 50 \$\Omega\$ for GPSDO use too.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #26626 on: March 06, 2019, 03:51:17 am »

:palm:   :scared:

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #26627 on: March 06, 2019, 03:56:29 am »
Yesterday, I picked up a used BluRay player for $10 at the local thrift; figured I'd put it in the kids' bedroom with their movie archive HDD plugged into it. It still had the BluRay disc in it I found on the shelf to use for a quick "no DOA" reality check at the store; Disney's 101 Dalmatians. So today I plug it in on the bench and it starts playing automatically; now I can actually see it because there's a screen plugged in.

It's in 4:3 aspect ratio.  :o

mnem
Disney is a festering cesspool of complete & utter fuckwits.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26628 on: March 06, 2019, 03:59:12 am »

There is a few videos on youtube about converting Video distribution Amps for 50 \$\Omega\$ for GPSDO use too.

Yeah well that was my plan until I discovered today that the amplifier used in my small video distributer top at something like 4 Mhz  :(

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26629 on: March 06, 2019, 04:09:51 am »
Found it. Worth a look. And I paid for the extra outputs on mine after watching it ;)

https://youtu.be/chrzrod3tQY

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26630 on: March 06, 2019, 04:43:26 am »

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26631 on: March 06, 2019, 05:00:23 am »
Nearly enough outputs if your name is Keysight Calibration Labs  :-DD

I had a vague memory of buying some PLL Multipliers a while ago and yep I was right https://www.mouser.com/ds/2/308/NB3N501-D-90980.pdf Breadboard won't be ideal but 2MHz from the Ublock X 5 and see how it comes up.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #26632 on: March 06, 2019, 05:07:46 am »
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 05:10:40 am by Cubdriver »
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #26633 on: March 06, 2019, 05:29:19 am »

I saw our parcel delivery guy down at the post office this afternoon.  He has been warned.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26634 on: March 06, 2019, 07:52:56 am »
Just got a DHL delivery notification. Hopefully my second Racal 9915 counter.

Think the backlight on my TDS210 is starting to give out. Took a hell of a long time to warm up last night. May get an LED retrofit at some point next month.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #26635 on: March 06, 2019, 08:26:17 am »
Forgot - The other option is you take one of the lower frequencies and feed it into a PLL Multiplier to get a 10MHz. Only a few $ for a lot of them.

And then you'll have to assess the noise introduced into the 10MHz by the PLL multiplier. TAANSTAFL.

On the bright side, that means more use for your test equipment.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #26636 on: March 06, 2019, 09:08:42 am »
Think the backlight on my TDS210 is starting to give out. Took a hell of a long time to warm up last night. May get an LED retrofit at some point next month.
Check the backlight HV inverter frequency. IIRC either the service manual states it in Circuit operation and typically is a couple of 10's of KHz.
In a TDS1002 I had the RC network for the push pull bipolars on the primary, well the C had drifted into the pF's.  :o
But that's all it was and an easy fix.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26637 on: March 06, 2019, 09:13:05 am »
From the same seller eBay auction: #254152420977 without the extra outputs. Seems Very Very cheap but might be worth a crack just make sure you use Paypal as belts and braces protection. If it is based on a similar design to mine construction is better than most. The seller does know something about the product too.

I've put that on my watch list - and I always use PayPal for eBay purchases.  I know I'll probably prefer extra outputs somewhere down the track - but with a decent reference and a decent PLL design, I should be right for a while.

Edit: Bean the enabler, yet again ... but this time I'm in the mood to thank him....?

This rabbit hole is starting to feel comfortable.  Move over Faust.
Rabbit hole starting to feel comfortable, that's a bad sign, means that you'll not rest till you reach the bottom. Then if you upgrade to even more digits it starts again.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26638 on: March 06, 2019, 09:16:49 am »
Check the backlight HV inverter frequency. IIRC either the service manual states it in Circuit operation and typically is a couple of 10's of KHz.
In a TDS1002 I had the RC network for the push pull bipolars on the primary, well the C had drifted into the pF's.  :o

Thanks for the tip. Will check that  :-+

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26639 on: March 06, 2019, 09:30:28 am »
Tail chasing for sure. Given up on the Breadboard with the PLL as it was all over the shop and noisy but it did force me to make my U-Blox setup look nicer including a little SMA breadboard adapter.

Terminated into 50 Ohms with the nicer wiring layout sees it giving a decent squarewave on the integer divisible frequencies. Screen Capture is full bandwidth no averaging. So maybe useful as a low frequency source and plaything. Good use for one of three stupid split power rail breadboards too :palm:

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #26640 on: March 06, 2019, 10:16:57 am »

Oh and you know you can check the oscillator frequency with just a probe held close to it.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26641 on: March 06, 2019, 11:25:10 am »
Yep already sussed that  :-+ . I do that with Tek HT stuff.  Just clip the ground wire onto the end and use it as a pick up.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26642 on: March 06, 2019, 12:01:57 pm »
Given up on the Breadboard

That's a good decision, no matter what you are planning to use it for. Hate the damn things, because inevitably more time is spent debugging the breadboard than debugging the circuit.

If you want to breadboard low noise circuits, start with manhattan or rat's nest techniques (depending on highest frequency present in circuit), and once it is basically functional, add shielding.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26643 on: March 06, 2019, 12:20:53 pm »
Totally agree. I occasionally use a breadboard but it's for low frequency stuff and playing with bias points usually and not a lot else.

Manhattan FTW though. This week's experiment - RF diode switching...

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26644 on: March 06, 2019, 12:22:49 pm »

Oh and you know you can check the oscillator frequency with just a probe held close to it.  ;)
Thanks guys for the tips here, my display is a little yellow I think judging by some other photos I have seen so I might just check these caps and see if that has anything to do with it. Mine is still eminently usable though, its just I feel the display could be brighter and clearer than it is                                                                                                                                                                           
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26645 on: March 06, 2019, 12:37:20 pm »
Totally agree. I occasionally use a breadboard but it's for low frequency stuff and playing with bias points usually and not a lot else.

Even then you might encounter problems with components that are capable of hooting. The inevitable inductance (~1nH/mm for a wire) and stray capacitance can produce entertaining results.

Some people don't realise a prime benefit of SMD components: the leads are very short.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26646 on: March 06, 2019, 12:55:32 pm »
Indeed that is an issue for sure. The fixture above actually has a flaw in that the inductors are self resonant at around 3.6MHz (measured) which causes all sorts of hell to break loose. That'd happen anywhere with those. So I've got a bunch of ferrites ordered from RS so I can wind my own (both beads and toroids) and see if I can get the stray capacitance of the inductors down and the SRF up past the 15MHz operating ceiling of this test.

I did a finger in the air calculation of stray reactances on wire length and PCB capacitance and this should be 20x the min system impedance so should be ok in theory. Shame about the inductors!

Point I found with SMD inductors is that the SRF can be much lower than the equivalent leaded unit.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 01:04:32 pm by bd139 »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #26647 on: March 06, 2019, 01:41:57 pm »
Found one of those Extron video distributer on eBay. Not sure if there's enough output though  :-//

https://www.ebay.com/itm/EXTRON-CROSSPOINT-SERIES-FULL-INPUT-and-Output-CARD/253951846695?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&redirect=mobile

That's not a distribution Amp; it's a 128 series Matrix A/V switcher. Older models are relay-based, not sure about newer models; it's been about a decade since I worked for Crestron. That is actually a smaller one; it "only" does 12 x 8 x 5 channels matrix. They make much larger; the biggest I've worked with was a 16 x 16 matrix. These early models are almost perfectly flat to approx 10MHz; then gain varies with load up to approx 200MHz. The Ultra series are rated to 450MHz in up to a 32x32 matrix, and they now have HDMI and 4K-rated models as well.

mnem
"coffee.... grr.... arrg..."
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26648 on: March 06, 2019, 02:04:03 pm »
Got my second Racal 9915. OCXO works in this one. OCXO isn't as stable as the Bliley one so this will be retrofitted with a new one. I may leave it for a couple of hours to do its thing though.

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26649 on: March 06, 2019, 02:48:56 pm »

Manhattan FTW though. This week's experiment - RF diode switching...

Woo look really good. Good Job   :-+

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf