Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 36013729 times)

Vince and 2089 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 14488
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #32300 on: May 30, 2019, 03:45:14 pm »
Pop the old can back in to retain the appearance and then mount the tag terminal strip using the mounting for the can?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi
 

Offline med6753

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 11346
  • Country: us
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #32301 on: May 30, 2019, 03:47:34 pm »
Pop the old can back in to retain the appearance and then mount the tag terminal strip using the mounting for the can?

Great minds think alike.  :-DD See my prior post.  :-+
An old gray beard with an attitude.
 

Offline Specmaster

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 14488
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #32302 on: May 30, 2019, 03:50:05 pm »
Yep I saw that just after I posted, we must have pressed enter together  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi
 

Offline mnementh

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 17541
  • Country: us
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #32303 on: May 30, 2019, 05:06:25 pm »
Not really ok with anything. Just everyone sets themselves up for a fight. The three prevailing options are:

1. I want a Mac but I don’t want to pay for one thus I will use a hacked up VM or frankenmac.
2. I want to use Linux and am hiding the complexity and general churn and stack of failure conditions.
3. I want to use windows but it kicks me in the balls once a week.

Cheapest solution at the time is to buy a jock strap and put duct tape round windows’ feet :-DD

A good thing to note is that if you do use something at work, it’s healthy to use something else at home. Keeps the problem domain different so it doesn’t feel like you take work home. I use Linux at work. And Apple can’t make keyboards that work. 

Edit: I watched a Japanese TV game show ages ago where there was a man who lived with a goat for a week in a single room until he basically went insane. I draw parallels to that and computers.

Fuck you... that furry little fuckard kept standing over me and drooling all night; it was like water torture only with goat-breath.  :-DD

My choice as well. Not just because of testicular tenderness; but because I got sick & tired of living 6-18 months behind the rest of the world waiting for new hardware and peripherals to make their way to Mac or *NIX.  |O It's nice to see a new gadget on slAmazon and be able to just click [BUY] rather than asking myself if Jobs' ghost is going to try and rape me with HTML5 again or if the Purple Hats will ever write a driver for my new gewgaw.  :horse:

mnem
And worst of all, she wouldn't put out.  :o
Wow, when did this sudden change around happen, did I snooze or something. It wasn't that long ago that I remember everyone was slagging off Windoze, now it seems to be the popular choice all of a sudden.

It's not that she's the prettiest girl at the ball; or that she's a good girl either. It's that she's a cheap date, is likely to put out, and is most likely not an axe murderess.:-DD

*NIX has high COE in terms of personal investment in computer skills and social ostracism. OSXwhatever animal Apple is humping now has high COE in terms of money and limited choice. Chrome/Android is a fucking axe murderer stalking you across the intardnet AND in meatspace; and because Guurgle has infiltrated so much of our essential infrastructure, it is impossible to ever really escape. If you use their OS/Browser, you're just giving them body AND soul.

Windows can be installed by your aunt Esther's winged monkey children (often by accident), most things you plug in work or can be made to work with a quick Guurgle, and because it's a teetering inverted pyramid of legacy code on top of legacy code, it is full of enough process interconnects and self-repair processes as to be so ridiculously fault-tolerant that even the President can use it without it blowing up in his face.  :o

You can cut off 3 of 4 legs and it will limp along like some ever-shambling zombie until you put it out of its misery or run a registry repair/file refresh and fix it. Of course, that accidental fault-tolerance is also why it is the number one target for every form of malware in the wide, wicked world.  :P All you have to trade for that is the fact it WANTS to sell your soul just like Google, but it can be chained to the bed by regulations from every hamfisted clown committee who thinks they know what is best for the Information Industry and the world at large and 3rd-party software. And because they are the "standard for compatibility", they have to allow that software to run.

mnem
Like Democracy, Windows is the worst possible system. Save every other one we have.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 05:14:36 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °
 

Offline Specmaster

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 14488
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #32304 on: May 30, 2019, 05:24:16 pm »
Its a bit like being stuck between a rock and a hard place that ram jammed full of surveillance methods, beware because the big bad boogie man is coming to get you one way or other. Think it might be best to go back to pen and paper, calculator and reference books  :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi
 

Offline bd139

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 23102
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #32305 on: May 30, 2019, 05:48:43 pm »
Inclined to agree there.
 

Offline mnementh

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 17541
  • Country: us
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #32306 on: May 30, 2019, 06:01:21 pm »
Yeah, but  WTF are you gonna do with that reference material?  :-// Everything it refers to is from a world that no longer exists. If you don't exist online, you don't either in today's world.  :palm:

mnem
That still doesn't mean anybody wants to see a video of "that thing on your toe"...  :o
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °
 

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 9057
  • Country: us
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #32307 on: May 30, 2019, 06:22:42 pm »
So, what have I been playing with? Lots of cheap stuff, naturally.

A newly acquired HP8562B, which I am using to explore the other stuff, and vice versa.

An old fleabay 4351 based synth:
  • up to 4.4GHz
  • USB powered, optional 5V via 0.1" headers
  • eval kit software that runs in XP in VirtualBox in Xububtu

A newer TI LMX2594EVM eval kit that I picked up for £20 in an auction:
  • 10MHz-15Ghz
  • I'm only looking at one unbalanced outputs (two balanced outputs are available)
  • onboard 100MHz source, or external balanced or unbalanced signal source - selectable by changing SMD resistors (hey, it is an eval board!)
  • USB interface with another 100MHz differential output source, but a separate 3.3V 400mA PSU via an SMA connector (what else?)
  • eval kit software only runs in Win7 or later. Changing frequency involves:
    • changing a textbox embedded in the block diagram
    • changing any other parameters that have "turned orange" because of inappropriate values
    • forcing the 2594 to change frequency

...

Unsurprising moral: don't power a synth from  USB power supply!

Wow, that noise from USB power was interesting and unexpected. Thanks for the rundown on those two synths.

So, what was the source of the spurs on the TI?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 06:24:17 pm by bitseeker »
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel
 

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 9057
  • Country: us
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #32308 on: May 30, 2019, 06:38:18 pm »
Just found the waterfall mode in the 8566B. Look so 80s  ^-^



Wow, cool. I've not seen that before. Didn't even know it had a waterfall display.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel
 

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 9057
  • Country: us
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #32309 on: May 30, 2019, 06:45:45 pm »
Yeah, for me it's a bit of a chicken-and-egg problem.  I know nothing about MacOS so if anything goes wrong in that process I would have a hard time knowing how to fix the problem.

The path of least effort, which also doesn't involve any violations of Apple's T&C would be for me to just pick up a used Mac.  But I go on eBay and even a used Mac Mini new enough to at least have a core i5 and 4GB of RAM costs almost $300 used.  For me that's a bit hard to justify just to play around with a Mac to see what they are about.

Perhaps it's helpful to think of it this way: The high resale value means that you can get one, try it out, and then sell it on for little net cost (or even a profit, depending on your acquisition skills), if you don't like it.

For a no-risk solution, find someone who already owns a Mac.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel
 

Offline Specmaster

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 14488
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #32310 on: May 30, 2019, 06:49:15 pm »
Yeah, but  WTF are you gonna do with that reference material?  :-// Everything it refers to is from a world that no longer exists. If you don't exist online, you don't either in today's world.  :palm:

mnem
That still doesn't mean anybody wants to see a video of "that thing on your toe"...  :o
How the F### did you know I had that thing on my toe, big brother  :scared:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi
 

Offline mnementh

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 17541
  • Country: us
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #32311 on: May 30, 2019, 07:43:06 pm »
I didn't... but we ALL do now...!   :scared:

mnem
:o Does this look infected to you...?
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °
 

Offline tggzzz

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 23122
  • Country: gb
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #32312 on: May 30, 2019, 08:09:49 pm »
So, what have I been playing with? Lots of cheap stuff, naturally.

A newly acquired HP8562B, which I am using to explore the other stuff, and vice versa.

An old fleabay 4351 based synth:
  • up to 4.4GHz
  • USB powered, optional 5V via 0.1" headers
  • eval kit software that runs in XP in VirtualBox in Xububtu

A newer TI LMX2594EVM eval kit that I picked up for £20 in an auction:
  • 10MHz-15Ghz
  • I'm only looking at one unbalanced outputs (two balanced outputs are available)
  • onboard 100MHz source, or external balanced or unbalanced signal source - selectable by changing SMD resistors (hey, it is an eval board!)
  • USB interface with another 100MHz differential output source, but a separate 3.3V 400mA PSU via an SMA connector (what else?)
  • eval kit software only runs in Win7 or later. Changing frequency involves:
    • changing a textbox embedded in the block diagram
    • changing any other parameters that have "turned orange" because of inappropriate values
    • forcing the 2594 to change frequency

...

Unsurprising moral: don't power a synth from  USB power supply!

Wow, that noise from USB power was interesting and unexpected. Thanks for the rundown on those two synths.

So, what was the source of the spurs on the TI?

RF people are only too aware that any noise from any source will screw them up. That's one reason why spectrum analysers are so damn heavy compared with scopes: there's multiple levels of solid metal shielding between the various sub-circuits. PSU noise is a mere subset of that.

As for the spurs on the LMX2594, I haven't given it any thought. The source could be in the spectrum analyser, either noise or possibly non-linearities, or the bench PSU I used to power the board, or the 100MHz crystal source. The LMX2594EVM documentation shows the expected noise, but in a different format to that which you see on the spectrum analyser.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less
 

Offline worsthorse

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1237
  • Country: us
  • aina varma, usein väärin
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #32313 on: May 30, 2019, 09:46:25 pm »
I didn't mean to win, honest!  :o

So there was this TDR 1502 on ebay. All the bits were there, and it had a trace in the photo. There was a single bid, of nine bucks, and I thought, well let's buy a ticket and see what happens. I use a sniping service, so I set a bid of 24USD and forgot about it.



I won the damn thing for 22.51USD. So now I have three TDRs.

Maybe it is time for me to add a rule the router firewall.
specialization is for insects.
 

Offline tggzzz

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 23122
  • Country: gb
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #32314 on: May 30, 2019, 10:02:14 pm »
I didn't mean to win, honest!  :o

So there was this TDR 1502 on ebay. All the bits were there, and it had a trace in the photo. There was a single bid, of nine bucks, and I thought, well let's buy a ticket and see what happens. I use a sniping service, so I set a bid of 24USD and forgot about it.



I won the damn thing for 22.51USD. So now I have three TDRs.

Maybe it is time for me to add a rule the router firewall.

They are a harmless fetish :)

Stick a decent battery in, verify the tunned diode works (use scope on output, if necessary), optionally stuff in new NiCd cells, build a naked PCB with approx 50ohm track, take to hamfest and show two fingers moving along the track produce identifyable blips, and make a pretty penny profit :)

Or just keep them in a secret place (but preferably not underwater, since they probably aren't sealed any more.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less
 

Offline worsthorse

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1237
  • Country: us
  • aina varma, usein väärin
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #32315 on: May 30, 2019, 10:23:46 pm »
I didn't mean to win, honest!  :o

So there was this TDR 1502 on ebay. All the bits were there, and it had a trace in the photo. There was a single bid, of nine bucks, and I thought, well let's buy a ticket and see what happens. I use a sniping service, so I set a bid of 24USD and forgot about it.

I won the damn thing for 22.51USD. So now I have three TDRs.


They are a harmless fetish :)

Stick a decent battery in, verify the tunned diode works (use scope on output, if necessary), optionally stuff in new NiCd cells, build a naked PCB with approx 50ohm track, take to hamfest and show two fingers moving along the track produce identifyable blips, and make a pretty penny profit :)

Or just keep them in a secret place (but preferably not underwater, since they probably aren't sealed any more.

TDRs are fun to play with. If the tunnel diodes on the 1502 aren't trashed, it will be a good buy. I can fix the two 1503s before deciding which to keep and which to sell to make space for some other fetish object. Or I could keep one of each to do both short and long cable tests. Not that I need to do that but you never know.  ;D

And why did they make them waterproof? They don't seem to be mil spec equipment otherwise.
specialization is for insects.
 

Offline Housedad

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 546
  • Country: us
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #32316 on: May 30, 2019, 10:36:34 pm »
I finally got the 24 outlet strip installed on the wall and plugged everything in.  Pain in the ass moving everything off the table, moving the table, installing the strip, then putting everything back.  But it was worth it now that the cables are less of a mess and there are plenty of outlets.  I did not put the drafting table against the wall, and let the extra length of power cables dangle behind it.  I used a self tapping screw into the aluminum housing of the outlet strip to connect the antistatic mat and the connector block for the wrist strap to ground.  There is also a new small power strip plugged into the long one as a breakout box so I can have easy reach outlets and power the Microscope. Bonus is it has USB charging ports on it.

Now to work on getting a powered USB setup.  One at the back of the table to connect all the equipment and another one daisy plugged into it as a breakout for easy reach.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 10:41:31 pm by Housedad »
At least I'm still older than my test equipment
 

Offline Housedad

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 546
  • Country: us
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #32317 on: May 30, 2019, 10:53:43 pm »
This idea of getting more and more test equipment all the time is really putting a cramp on the room I have available. I can see that I will have TESLA syndrome really bad in the future if this keeps up. The addiction to TEA is powerful I don't know if I could ever overcome the withdrawal symptoms.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 10:56:06 pm by Housedad »
At least I'm still older than my test equipment
 

Offline bd139

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 23102
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #32318 on: May 30, 2019, 10:59:59 pm »
I've taken to having a "tidy bench policy". I've got a 12 way block under the bench and only get gear out I need to do a specific job now.
 
The following users thanked this post: Housedad

Offline worsthorse

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1237
  • Country: us
  • aina varma, usein väärin
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #32319 on: May 30, 2019, 11:02:34 pm »
I've taken to having a "tidy bench policy". I've got a 12 way block under the bench and only get gear out I need to do a specific job now.

Same thing here. I have several pieces of gear on the bench that I use all the time. If I need anything else, I set it up and when I am done, take it down and put it away. My work area is too small to do anything else.

EDIT: And lest I sound a bit too self-satisfied about how neat and tidy I am, I should mention that the floor on one side of the workroom is strewn with components I am sorting, inventorying, and bagging. It looks like a bomb went off in the middle of a digikey warehouse. 

:-DD
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 11:04:52 pm by wch »
specialization is for insects.
 
The following users thanked this post: Housedad

Offline bd139

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 23102
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #32320 on: May 30, 2019, 11:09:49 pm »
I have come to the conclusion mine is as well. It took a while to get there though  :-DD

On mess, my place looks like it has been nuked a couple of times mid-repair. Think peak carnage was mid-D83, spreading across the floor and dining table.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 11:12:44 pm by bd139 »
 
The following users thanked this post: Housedad

Offline tggzzz

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 23122
  • Country: gb
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #32321 on: May 30, 2019, 11:18:20 pm »
I didn't mean to win, honest!  :o

So there was this TDR 1502 on ebay. All the bits were there, and it had a trace in the photo. There was a single bid, of nine bucks, and I thought, well let's buy a ticket and see what happens. I use a sniping service, so I set a bid of 24USD and forgot about it.

I won the damn thing for 22.51USD. So now I have three TDRs.


They are a harmless fetish :)

Stick a decent battery in, verify the tunned diode works (use scope on output, if necessary), optionally stuff in new NiCd cells, build a naked PCB with approx 50ohm track, take to hamfest and show two fingers moving along the track produce identifyable blips, and make a pretty penny profit :)

Or just keep them in a secret place (but preferably not underwater, since they probably aren't sealed any more.

TDRs are fun to play with. If the tunnel diodes on the 1502 aren't trashed, it will be a good buy. I can fix the two 1503s before deciding which to keep and which to sell to make space for some other fetish object. Or I could keep one of each to do both short and long cable tests. Not that I need to do that but you never know.  ;D

And why did they make them waterproof? They don't seem to be mil spec equipment otherwise.

One of the service manuals available on the web is
Quote
TECHNICAL MANUAL No. 9-1430-601-14-3&P
HEADQUARTERS DEPARTMENT OF THE ARMY
Washington, D.C., 26 August 1986
Operator, Organizational, and DS/GS Maintenance Manual
(INCLUDING REPAIR PARTS)
FOR
TEKTRONIX 1502 TIME DOMAIN REFLECTOMETER
(PATRIOT AIR DEFENSE GUIDED MISSILE SYSTEM)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less
 

Offline med6753

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 11346
  • Country: us
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #32322 on: May 30, 2019, 11:21:58 pm »
This idea of getting more and more test equipment all the time is really putting a cramp on the room I have available. I can see that I will have TESLA syndrome really bad in the future if this keeps up. The addiction to TEA is powerful I don't know if I could ever overcome the withdrawal symptoms.

Why do you think that my bench went from this single........



To now a double bench?



There is no cure.  :-DD

Edit...I also have an entire walk-in closet full of parts and parts mules.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 11:24:49 pm by med6753 »
An old gray beard with an attitude.
 
The following users thanked this post: kj7e

Offline med6753

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 11346
  • Country: us
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #32323 on: May 30, 2019, 11:36:53 pm »
GregDunn...remember this guy? He made bold claims and but so far he hasn't delivered the goods.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/old-fluke-multimeters/msg2438619/#msg2438619
An old gray beard with an attitude.
 

Offline 0culus

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3032
  • Country: us
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #32324 on: May 30, 2019, 11:40:21 pm »
I can't wait to have that much space, med. Most of my gear is currently stacked on a 1000 lb capacity DeWalt portable bench for lack of space. I'm using about half that capacity...  :-DD

I'm considering, once I know what space I will have, dropping some coin here: http://www.benchpro.com/

the prices aren't as bad as I thought they would be, and I will be able to get exactly what I want.
 


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf

 

-->