From the "I Guess I'm channeling bd tonight..." Dept:
-group-therapy-thread/?action=dlattach;attach=866700;image)
After 2 afternoons spent reverse-engineering the "THX Certified" amplifier in this subwoofer to get it to turn on without the "special speaker", I get it working and discover 3 of the 4 non-bridged outputs are just distorted as hell, even after isolating the final amp ICs from the rest of the tone control & compensation circuitry.

In disgust I throw all the bits back in the speaker box (after yoinking the 15V/4A SMPS board to atone for its sins

) and set it aside.
30 minutes work and I knock this little electron-agitator together out of stuff I have lying around. Okay; technically the 99¢ PAM8403 digital amplifier dev board is one of a handful bought expressly to have "lying around" for "just such an occasion", but I really didn't MEAN to pack it in my single small shoebox bin of essential quadcopter bits. They appear to have just gravitated in there while I was separating out what was going into the trailer for long-term storage.

3W + 3W isn't earth-shattering, and certainly not the sound quality I was hoping for out of that sub & speakers; but it's plenty to hear my Linus videeozz & stream Amazon at sane volumes while I inconvenience electrons in here.

And yes, this is what my once-glorious marble-countertopped workbench has been reduced to: One toolbox and a Amazon carton over the kitchen table.

mnem
I SO-O-O miss my MetCal... the T12 OLED station makes me fucking WORK for it. 