Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 15544396 times)

Peter_O and 51 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #45675 on: December 23, 2019, 11:14:19 am »
that's what you need a military trained k9 for.

With the proper training and instructions the home invader as well as any evidence is quietly and efficiently disposed of.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #45676 on: December 23, 2019, 11:24:37 am »
Libtard NY has no castle doctrine laws. Shoot a home invader and chances are you're going to jail.

States like Colorado and Texas DO have castle doctrine laws. Shoot a home invader and it's one less dirtbag in the world.

edit...how in the hell did we get on this subject?  :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45677 on: December 23, 2019, 11:28:48 am »
great tasks for Dec 23rd
cleaning out my benches, preparing ebay / ebay classifieds and egun auctions.
sorting through 1000s of pinball parts

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #45678 on: December 23, 2019, 11:30:46 am »
I've basically shut down all projects here until after New Years but I might be taking a road trip Thursday or Friday to check out something.  :-+

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45679 on: December 23, 2019, 11:32:04 am »

Christmas angst  :-DD

Today I am amostly going to the tip. Getting a head start on the trash. Probably find it’s shut now

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut

Offline SmokeyTheElectrician

• Contributor
« Reply #45681 on: December 23, 2019, 12:01:36 pm »
Fellow EEVBlog Forumers,

If anyone has the need real bad, for a their next TE fix.
uCenter's web store was showing they still have a handful
or two Rigol 1054z, scattered around the USA and last I checked they
were down to 184.31.
   ( store pick up only -- 1@Duluth-GA, 2@Rockville-MD, 2@Westbury-NY,
      1@Brooklyn-NY, and 3@Yonkers-NY )

Near as I can tell, The only caveat is that they are likely out of the factory
calibration period (that and I jumped at $230.39).

Seriously, by the time they sell the last one, someone is going to walk away
with a 1054z for something entirely ridiculous, like $35.

"We must stick them with quills! It's the only way!"
-- Scott Adams

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #45682 on: December 23, 2019, 12:12:17 pm »
Louisiana cooking tonight - made crawfish etouffee'. GOOD!  :P

Never had crawfish. Is it more like lobster or shrimp ?

Fukkin' mud bugs...   

Shrimp etouffee', chicken or shrimp gumbo, red beans & rice all get a "Not only yes, but HELL YES!" though...  >:D

mnem

alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45683 on: December 23, 2019, 12:14:23 pm »
I think this is quite interesting and on topic as lots of us have tasty looking expensive equipment floating around. At worst the average dumbass criminal may see something worth nothing we have as an interesting theft possibility and damage property.  One reason we should strive for anonymity on the internet.

On that note I think I shall make a public service announcement, what with this being the season of houses stuffed to the brim with things worth stealing. (The season of goodwill to all men being so pre-consumer age.  :))

One of the primary ways that burglars figure out whether there's something tempting to steal inside a building or home is to look for the packaging of something interesting being left outside in the garbage. So, if anybody is treating themselves to a new infeasibly large HD TV for Christmas or similar, do not leave the boxes sitting intact by the bin. Take the old Stanley knife and cut the packaging up and put it out of sight in the bin.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45684 on: December 23, 2019, 12:19:22 pm »
Excellent advice. Me, I keep the boxes for eBay sales  :-+

Edit: also to note I heard some dumbass G4 this morning on 2m who explained exactly what days he was on holiday  :palm:
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 12:22:47 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45685 on: December 23, 2019, 12:25:08 pm »
Today I am amostly going to the tip. Getting a head start on the trash. Probably find it’s shut now

Weirdly, so am I. Going to the tip that is. The annual pre-Christmas box room tidy is done and dusted*, and it yielded too much WEEE (which can't go in the bin) so it's off to the tip for me too. 

*Not 100% true. As in all grand tidies there are a few boxes of things that were half re-organised and are now mentally labelled "tidy properly in a few days". Which realistically means "Wait three months and then disgorge contents onto living room floor while desperately searching for X".
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #45686 on: December 23, 2019, 12:43:55 pm »
This is an intriguing looking boat anchor, not sure I can justify the price just to satisfy my curiosity though...   :-X

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nuclear-Enterprises-Ltd-Pulse-Height-Analyzer-PHA1/293389789876
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45687 on: December 23, 2019, 12:49:30 pm »
Libtard NY has no castle doctrine laws. Shoot a home invader and chances are you're going to jail.

States like Colorado and Texas DO have castle doctrine laws. Shoot a home invader and it's one less dirtbag in the world.

No, Texas has "Stand Your Ground" laws... where, just before I left, one well-known (in the neighborhood) racist POS shot a black man in the street A BLOCK AWAY FROM HIS OWN HOME, and the Police didn't even CHARGE the motherfucker because he said he "felt threatened". Because he was a racist POS and there was a black man on the same street. :palm:

So yeah... a BIG fucking difference between reasonable self-defense and what I just escaped from. Fucking shitheads walking around Wally World with assault rifles slung over their shoulders... in New York, that kind of infantile public display is (or at least WAS when I lived there) considered "brandishing a weapon" or "intimidation with a firearm" and legally a form of assault. And quite rightly so.

New York State has very broad self-defense and defense of home & family laws; my grandfather shot an ex-neighbor in the doorway (non-fatally, with birdshot) when he refused to leave after a disagreement over farmhand wages.

The Sheriff was more annoyed over the paperwork than interested in pressing charges; said it would've been less assache if he'd shot the motherfucker dead.  :o

mnem
*seething-ily*
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 12:58:09 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: mansaxel

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45688 on: December 23, 2019, 12:53:18 pm »
This is down to £100 now. Hmm.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F324019821514

I’m literally 30 min drive away.

Edit: skipping it. Looks like water corrosion.
Well the scope front panel actually has water droplets on it, scary stuff running in that state :scared:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45689 on: December 23, 2019, 12:57:06 pm »
There should always be 2 shots fired to defend one's castle, inhabitants and their possessions.
One MUST be a warning shot but it needn't come first.  ;)
Only proof it was fired like a hole in the ceiling.  ;)  ;)

I’m not sure castle doctrine should apply otherwise we end up with shot TV licensing officers and debt collectors. Ok I just changed my mind mid sentence there.  :-DD
Why, what do you have against debt collectors?? I used to be a part time one years ago when my ankle biters were little.  :-DD
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 01:01:09 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #45690 on: December 23, 2019, 01:04:48 pm »
Well the scope front panel actually has water droplets on it, scary stuff running in that state :scared:

I know you're not supposed to buy a used car when it's out in the rain, but I never expected to have to apply the same rule to TE...    |O :-BROKE
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #45691 on: December 23, 2019, 01:06:06 pm »

New York State has very broad self-defense and defense of home & family laws; my grandfather shot an ex-neighbor in the doorway (non-fatally, with birdshot) when he refused to leave after a disagreement over farmhand wages.

The Sheriff was more annoyed over the paperwork than interested in pressing charges; said it would've been less assache if he'd shot the motherfucker dead.  :o

mnem
*seething-ily*

I agree walking around Wally world with an assault weapon is sheer lunacy.

When did this incident take place with your grandfather? I'll bet greater than 60 years ago. Under the same scenario today with the same laws on the books you know darn well he would have been taken in and charged.   

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45692 on: December 23, 2019, 01:09:13 pm »
This is an intriguing looking boat anchor, not sure I can justify the price just to satisfy my curiosity though...   :-X

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nuclear-Enterprises-Ltd-Pulse-Height-Analyzer-PHA1/293389789876

So it's like what... a SA with a frontal lobotomy...?  :-//

mnem
 :bullshit:

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45693 on: December 23, 2019, 01:16:32 pm »
just bought 130 BGA reballing stencils for like 15c apiece.

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #45694 on: December 23, 2019, 01:17:24 pm »
Never had crawfish. Is it more like lobster or shrimp ?

Like little shrimp.

895272-0

Is that a starter or a main course?

Main course for sure. Another common way to fix 'em is to just have a crawfish boil with corn on the cob.

Fukkin' mud bugs... 

Yeah! Mud bugs...   :-+
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45695 on: December 23, 2019, 01:24:09 pm »

mnem
*seething-ily*

I agree walking around Wally world with an assault weapon is sheer lunacy.

When did this incident take place with your grandfather? I'll bet greater than 60 years ago. Under the same scenario today with the same laws on the books you know darn well he would have been taken in and charged.   

When I was a teenager; so 30-ish years. Sheriff said two things made it pretty clear-cut: Bloodstains inside the house, and the fact it wasn't a handgun. If there'd been a handgun, he would've at least had to take him in until they ran the numbers on the weapon and permit, to make sure he was licensed properly. Makes sense to me. :-//

BTW... with all due respect old friend... terms like "libtard" have no place in this setting. It is literally a hate-speech trigger-word, created by a worthless right-wingnut piece of shit whose very existence is a cancer on the soul of America. Please don't promote his mentality by using his language.

mnem

The following users thanked this post: bd139, mansaxel

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #45696 on: December 23, 2019, 01:27:35 pm »

No, Texas has "Stand Your Ground" laws... where, just before I left, one well-known (in the neighborhood) racist POS shot a black man in the street A BLOCK AWAY FROM HIS OWN HOME, and the Police didn't even CHARGE the motherfucker because he said he "felt threatened". Because he was a racist POS and there was a black man on the same street. :palm:

So yeah... a BIG fucking difference between reasonable self-defense and what I just escaped from. Fucking shitheads walking around Wally World with assault rifles slung over their shoulders... in New York, that kind of infantile public display is (or at least WAS when I lived there) considered "brandishing a weapon" or "intimidation with a firearm" and legally a form of assault. And quite rightly so.

mnem
*seething-ily*

I am a long time gun owner and CCW permit holder and that fucktard in Texas should have been prosecuted to the full extent of the law.  And the other fucktards carrying assault weapons into wally world just to make a point should have all their toys taken away for being stoopit.  Florida castle doctrine is based on the fucktard coming into your home or occupied car. Break into my home whilst I'm in it, I will let the dogs chew for a minute then shoot what's left.  Otherwise, when I leave the house armed, you'll never notice it unless I move the wrong way and you know what to look for.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, Saskia

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45697 on: December 23, 2019, 01:34:53 pm »
just bought 130 BGA reballing stencils for like 15c apiece.

mnem
Pants are highly overrated.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45698 on: December 23, 2019, 01:47:56 pm »
Why, what do you have against debt collectors?? I used to be a part time one years ago when my ankle biters were little.  :-DD

Nothing personal but it seems to attract a particular breed of arsehole. I had a run in with one over a water bill administrative error (ass end call centre operative wrote wrong address down). Threatened me and lied and said he was a court bailiff. He was removed from my property by force which he wasn’t expecting.

Weirdly, so am I. Going to the tip that is. The annual pre-Christmas box room tidy is done and dusted*, and it yielded too much WEEE (which can't go in the bin) so it's off to the tip for me too. 

*Not 100% true. As in all grand tidies there are a few boxes of things that were half re-organised and are now mentally labelled "tidy properly in a few days". Which realistically means "Wait three months and then disgorge contents onto living room floor while desperately searching for X".

I’m trying to do the same. The “cupboard”, aka bedroom as probably described on rightmove, in my place is the equivalent hole in which things are attempted to be forgotten. I found 5 reels of AVX tantalum SMD capacitors this morning in the back that I don’t even remember buying which have been emptied into little bags and filed properly. Result from one roll, a not insignificant haul:

895284-0

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45699 on: December 23, 2019, 01:53:09 pm »
@GreyWoolfe
I wholeheartedly agree.

However you might be surprised what a well trained person can read from your way of walking, from your way of holding your hands (are you keeping your strong arm slightly angled and under tight control, or does it hang loose and swing freely ...) there are a couple of other things that could give you away to the trained eye that you may not even be aware of.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 01:54:50 pm by Saskia »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf