Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14978456 times)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #50150 on: February 18, 2020, 09:54:41 pm »
I just dropped my BM22s three times on purpose from the desk. Now go do that with an Avo  :-DD
Well now I'm so glad you said "on purpose" because I was just about to say "P**** Fingers" strikes again. Try doing the same thing with a HP 3400A and see what happens  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50151 on: February 18, 2020, 09:59:11 pm »
And now back on topic again, I've just noticed that one of the small panel mounted sockets for component leads is actually broken and the missing piece of plastic is actually missing otherwise I could just glue it back on. Does anyone know of where these may be available from, the smallest so far that I have come across has been 2mm and I think these are 1mm. They look to be pretty corroded anyway so it would be nice to replace all 4 of them.

The unit is so sensitive that if I use leads with 4mm bananas and crock clips on the other end (1m long) on lower values the meter can actually read the capacitance between the leads as well. I have a very short set of leads that could be used if necessary, but its so much better to just push the capacitors leads directly into the sockets. I like the way that they have arranged the sockets to provide maybe the 3 most common pitches between the leads to maximise the accuracy of the readings, awesome.

They look very familiar, do you still need some?

David

Yes I do still need some but PA0PBZ has some slightly different ones that he is kindly sending to me. But as a back up just in case, do you know where they are available from, I keep drawing a blank in my searches.

NOS I have in my spares, probably just as tarnished even though they haven't been used, remind me at the weekend if I haven't got back to you.

David

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50152 on: February 18, 2020, 10:13:40 pm »
I just dropped my BM22s three times on purpose from the desk. Now go do that with an Avo  :-DD
Well now I'm so glad you said "on purpose" because I was just about to say "P**** Fingers" strikes again. Try doing the same thing with a HP 3400A and see what happens  :-DD

Dent in floor. Been there  :-DD

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50153 on: February 18, 2020, 10:15:57 pm »

No cheating cushioning it with your foot!  >:D
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #50154 on: February 18, 2020, 10:17:13 pm »
You gotta watch this. A whole lot of stupid but he manages to fix it without killing himself or magic smoke. I wish sometimes I'd get that lucky.  :-DD

I've seen some of his past videos and he's definitely a hack but is usually successful.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50155 on: February 18, 2020, 10:23:29 pm »
Holy crap. I clicked three bits of that video randomly and saw:

1. Blue nylon gloves. Yeah that's not going to do much.
2. Foaming capacitor
3. Sign of a turd: PL259 adapter connected to front end  :-DD

Aaand I don't think I can watch the rest.

The following users thanked this post: FransW

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #50156 on: February 18, 2020, 10:27:00 pm »

A story from Martlesham Heath...

When LCD DVMs were new and untested, BT Labs invited salesmen to demo AvoMeter 8s and DVMs. At the end they were neck and neck, no significant difference, until... The DVM saleman threw his meter across the room, retrieved it, and invited the AvoMeter salesman to do the same.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50157 on: February 18, 2020, 10:45:47 pm »

Dent in floor. Been there  :-DD
Broken meter suspension?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50158 on: February 18, 2020, 10:46:54 pm »

No cheating cushioning it with your foot!  >:D
Not a hope in hell, I have more respect for my equipment and even more for my foot  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50159 on: February 18, 2020, 10:49:00 pm »
You gotta watch this. A whole lot of stupid but he manages to fix it without killing himself or magic smoke. I wish sometimes I'd get that lucky.  :-DD

I've seen some of his past videos and he's definitely a hack but is usually successful.

Yeah, seen this before, there are a few similar videos on there with dumpster finds.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50160 on: February 18, 2020, 10:50:15 pm »

2. Foaming capacitor

You have to remember Shango mostly does resurrection videos not restoration.
He does have a lot of interesting vintage TEA that appears in his videos. I do watch most of his videos on TV, radios etc and the other channel with abandoned mine explorations. It's also amazing to see stuff that's been siting outside for 30-40 years in a mine dump made to work again.

David

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #50161 on: February 18, 2020, 11:02:33 pm »

Do not let it go, show up at school with a german tank, make clear what they are doing wrong and why you are pissed.

Thats a Tank Destroyer (Panzerjäger / Pansarvärnskanonvagn), not a tank. </nitpick>

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #50162 on: February 18, 2020, 11:11:41 pm »
even better
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50164 on: February 18, 2020, 11:39:45 pm »
Literally 10 minutes from here. Noooo not doing it  :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50165 on: February 18, 2020, 11:51:20 pm »
Dartron, thats a name I don't recall seeing before.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50166 on: February 19, 2020, 12:39:56 am »
Here is a video that I believe will appeal to bd139  :-DD

Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: med6753, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #50167 on: February 19, 2020, 12:43:49 am »
Quote from: mnementh
It's Oh-Dark-Thirty in the Fukkin' Morning and I'm Still Working on a New Project...

Here's a few TEAsers before I crawl off to bed.     >:D

mnem
*the scrubbulous world of Dr. Agon*
Cooked shunts from a moving coil meter ?

Yeah; one cooked shunt, one good. This is the Bach-Simpson 635 I got a few months back; finally getting it on the bench. Finding that it appears to be a bit of a bastard child; evidently their primary raison d'être was Canadian Military service. Can't find a service or even user manual on BAMA or RadioMuseum.org; of course Simpson is of no help for parts, but they evidently disavow all knowledge of the poor thing even in their legacy products section. |O

Pretty sure battery clips for a 260 Series 3 or so will work; but that roached shunt...  Take a look at the oddball current ranges this thing has. |O  As best I can gauge from the circuit, the 0.6 and 1.2A range shunts shown should be the same value; I may wind up having to make one from scratch.  :scared:

If anybody here knows of any lifelines, please toss one my way. I know about the 6KV 635 on Simpson260.com; trying to find out more from that source right now.

mnem
*currently nuking a PS3 with my son*
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 12:45:44 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #50168 on: February 19, 2020, 12:57:19 am »

2. Foaming capacitor

You have to remember Shango mostly does resurrection videos not restoration.
He does have a lot of interesting vintage TEA that appears in his videos. I do watch most of his videos on TV, radios etc and the other channel with abandoned mine explorations. It's also amazing to see stuff that's been siting outside for 30-40 years in a mine dump made to work again.

David

Yep, I've watched many of his videos too and it is pretty amazing of the total crap he manages to get going again. But you have to remember he lives in Southern California where it is dry most of the year so while it has sat for 30-40 years it's not a rusty and useless hulk. That would not be the case here or by you in the UK. 
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #50169 on: February 19, 2020, 01:41:57 am »
As best I can gauge from the circuit, the 0.6 and 1.2A range shunts shown should be the same value; I may wind up having to make one from scratch.  :scared:
Makes sense, paralleled for the higher current.
'Spose your constantan is still in your container ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50170 on: February 19, 2020, 04:41:57 am »

You collect the 3400A from the basement unharmed, out the cellar doors with it on a hand truck, then head off to Homeowner Hell for flooring supplies... :-DD

mnem
...And when you get back, straight away to the ER with the missus or the furry kids after they fell through the hole... >:D

alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50171 on: February 19, 2020, 04:54:28 am »
Somebody needs to take my credit card away...

Oh, and I bought a PS3 Slim just because it was complete for $25...   :palm:

mnem
 |O
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 04:57:43 am by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50172 on: February 19, 2020, 05:14:03 am »
As best I can gauge from the circuit, the 0.6 and 1.2A range shunts shown should be the same value; I may wind up having to make one from scratch.  :scared:
Makes sense, paralleled for the higher current. 'Spose your constantan is still in your container ?

No, this is old school... all the shunts are in series, and the voltage drop is measured across the ends of the chain. Where you plug the (+) probe in determines the total resistance of the combined active shunts; the shunts that aren't actually shunting current just complete the circuit to measure the voltage drop. the steps are 12A, 1.2A, 0.6A. It is the 1.2A shunt that is toast, but that progression suggests that the 1.2 & 0.6A shunts are likely the same value.

I actually don't have any of this wire; last time I bought any was specific to a BOM and used all but a few CM, long lost. From what I can see, composition may not be Constantan alloy but tinned copper wire with wrapped 'glas insulator; construction is soldered, not welded to the leads.  :o  I have some pretty small ga silicone insulated wire I MAY be able to fake it with IF I can get in the right neighborhood by measuring with my DE-5000 in DCR mode. :-//

mnem
*toddles off to ded*
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 05:23:35 am by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #50173 on: February 19, 2020, 05:19:38 am »
Somebody needs to take my credit card away...

Oh, and I bought a PS3 Slim just because it was complete for $25...   :palm:

mnem
 |O

More like someone needs a fidgit spinner, 3D Printer or their real existing toy collection back under their wings again. Just remember all this extra crap you are adding now will be combined with the other at some point in the future :-DD
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Online Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50174 on: February 19, 2020, 05:49:15 am »
Makes sense, paralleled for the higher current. 'Spose your constantan is still in your container ?

No, this is old school... all the shunts are in series, and the voltage drop is measured across the ends of the chain. Where you plug the (+) probe in determines the total resistance of the combined active shunts; the shunts that aren't actually shunting current just complete the circuit to measure the voltage drop. the steps are 12A, 1.2A, 0.6A. It is the 1.2A shunt that is toast, but that progression suggests that the 1.2 & 0.6A shunts are likely the same value.

I actually don't have any of this wire; last time I bought any was specific to a BOM and used all but a few CM, long lost. From what I can see, composition may not be Constantan alloy but tinned copper wire with wrapped 'glas insulator; construction is soldered, not welded to the leads.  :o  I have some pretty small ga silicone insulated wire I MAY be able to fake it with IF I can get in the right neighborhood by measuring with my DE-5000 in DCR mode. :-//

mnem
*toddles off to ded*
For a current shunt, it would be manganin wire.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf