Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14975187 times)

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #54900 on: April 07, 2020, 08:38:43 am »
Yeah there was one down the road yesterday as well. I literally went for a walk yesterday straight past where a woman was arrested for being out exercising  :palm:. This made national news yesterday and half the Internet was up for chucking her in prison or something because they are now living in a climate of fear.

The courts are dealing with this effectively though i.e. quashing convictions because the police are overbearing. We've also had senior judiciary telling them to pipe the fuck down.

Edit: fix all the typos. Apparently I should still be in bed  :-DD
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 08:42:36 am by bd139 »

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #54901 on: April 07, 2020, 08:51:38 am »
I simply nicked that risetime measurement from someone else, so I can't claim any credit.

Mental maps... Now while a scope is "input voltage to Y-plates, trigger is a comparator with sweep voltage going to X-plates" and a spectrum analyser is a "superhet radio on steroids", I don't yet have a mental map of how an MDA performs its magic.

That's going to limit my imagination, and that irritates me :)

Probably this will help to illuminate you:
https://www.keysight.com/en/pd-1000001397%3Aepsg%3Apro-pn-53310A/modulation-domain-analyzer?cc=CH&lc=eng

:)

Thanks.

I've got the two manuals, but have only skimmed them. "Modern" HP/Tek manuals seem to be more about which buttons to press and less about how things work internally.

I haven't got any of the application notes, yet. My prejudice is that the application notes will be mainly monkey-see-monkey-do examples - but I will confirm/deny that over time.

I must also look at the HP Journals. ISTR (from reading them when the first MDA was announced) that there will be decent explanations somewhere in them.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54902 on: April 07, 2020, 09:02:19 am »
Just read people are burning 5G antennas poles so human immune system without that radiation can fight better against COVID19.

:palm:

My blood pressure went up 30 points for that.

Between the idiots burning the phone towers and the rising police state cheered on by the idiots who aren't burning phone towers, I think we're heading down a bit of a bad path here.
yep, they are probably the same ones who worship the 3 word slogans and chants that want to rewrite history  :palm: :rant:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54903 on: April 07, 2020, 09:07:13 am »
Rightly or Wrongly the local Gestapo yesterday gave a 17 year old learner driver in a Car with her Mother a $1600+ fine for 'non essential travel'. The Crime was caused by trying to keep a bit of normality and doing some Driver Training while isolated from others  :palm:
I think the problem here is however, that should anything untoward happen then they could potentially be putting the response teams at extra risk.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline grizewald

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #54904 on: April 07, 2020, 09:11:12 am »
Ugh sounds familiar. Hope you get the mild version of it  :(
Apart from that, good luck. Your symptoms remind me not to over-interpret my symptoms.

Thanks gents. At the moment, I also have a thumping headache in addition to the pain in the joints, just like coming down with seasonal influenza or having a pan-galactic gargleblaster sized hangover.

If it really starts getting on my nerves, I still have some very special pain killers left from my battle with cancer. Take a couple of those and you really don't have a care in the world!  :-DD
  Lord of Sealand

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #54905 on: April 07, 2020, 09:14:55 am »
Rightly or Wrongly the local Gestapo yesterday gave a 17 year old learner driver in a Car with her Mother a $1600+ fine for 'non essential travel'. The Crime was caused by trying to keep a bit of normality and doing some Driver Training while isolated from others  :palm:
I think the problem here is however, that should anything untoward happen then they could potentially be putting the response teams at extra risk.

Hence Rightly or Wrongly. A good stern warning and get home now and even get the relevant State premier to bring it up 'nameless' as a reminder of what is or isn't ok but the fine was OTT in particular where the restrictions are only maybe a week old.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #54906 on: April 07, 2020, 09:39:05 am »
Gotta have some humor this morning.

For all the clowns who hoarded TP:
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, Kosmic

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #54907 on: April 07, 2020, 10:13:15 am »
@grizewald
hope you get better soon.
Fingers crossed, thumbs pressed, sacrifice to Freya planned.

The following users thanked this post: grizewald

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #54908 on: April 07, 2020, 10:14:05 am »
Random *bay-hint:
For someone with too much money* and time-nuttery tendencies:
Fluke PM6681R Frequency Reference/Counter/Calibrator

Offers are still low but 6 1/2 days to go though.   >:D

*- the R in the model number usually makes bids go up high but who knows what's happening these days..?    ^-^
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

The following users thanked this post: edavid, BU508A

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #54909 on: April 07, 2020, 10:32:02 am »
@grizewald
Best wishes to you, hope that you get better again soon and that it's a mild form or even no Covid-19 at all (influenza is still around).
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #54910 on: April 07, 2020, 10:34:15 am »
Apart from that, good luck. Your symptoms remind me not to over-interpret my symptoms.

Thanks gents. At the moment, I also have a thumping headache in addition to the pain in the joints, just like coming down with seasonal influenza or having a pan-galactic gargleblaster sized hangover.

If it really starts getting on my nerves, I still have some very special pain killers left from my battle with cancer. Take a couple of those and you really don't have a care in the world!  :-DD

Get well soon and take care.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54911 on: April 07, 2020, 10:44:39 am »

Hence Rightly or Wrongly. A good stern warning and get home now and even get the relevant State premier to bring it up 'nameless' as a reminder of what is or isn't ok but the fine was OTT in particular where the restrictions are only maybe a week old.

Sometimes overreaction is the only way to "encourager les autres" - especially Dunning-Krueger candidates that think they know best.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #54912 on: April 07, 2020, 11:27:51 am »
@g-w hope you feel better soon 👍
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #54913 on: April 07, 2020, 11:35:16 am »
just got an invoice from Canon for the repair of my EF 24-105 IS STM lens.
They swapped out the front lens assembly, adjusted autofocus, distance measurement, lens assembly and checked sharpness.

Charge is 100€ including shipping and tax, this was a fixed price repair.
For that kind of work and the parts involved it's hard to beat.

The following users thanked this post: Kosmic

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54914 on: April 07, 2020, 12:02:54 pm »

Sometimes overreaction is the only way to "encourager les autres" - especially Dunning-Krueger candidates that think they know best.
Even if this gets quashed by the courts which I suspect it might, the publicity this gains might deter others from doing such frankly stupid things when we don't really understand just how this virus behaves and what can be done to counter it. It is not like the common cold or normal flu, it is an invisible, silent killer that can strike anyone. It was initially thought that it would be most deadly to the elderly and infirm, that has subsequently been shown to be incorrect as there are now many people that fall outside that demographic that have tragically lost their lives. It was also thought that only about 1% of those that caught it would die from it, figures from the UK disprove that theory as can be seen from site https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/ it is in fact around 10%.

Until the scientists around the world come up with a vaccine and a proper cure that reduces the severity of it to a level similar to that of the common cold, I believe that it is very selfish of people who try to carry on as if nothing had happened, how can they deny that this is very serious, in just 4 months it has spread from a fish market in China to becoming a global nightmare. Even exercise could be and ought to be done within the confines of your own house / garden to minimise any risk of transferring it to others. Any excursion from your house should be for essential things only like getting food, medicines etc or if your key worker, going to work. My son has is a key worker and has been given a letter from his employers that he has to carry on him at all time to prove to anyone in authority that his trip is essential and should be allowed to proceed without hindrance.

Anyone can be carrying this virus and not have any effect from it, its not as if people who are either carriers or suffering from it suddenly sprout flags from their heads as a warning to others to keep their distance is it?

I personally would hate to think that any of my actions could have or would have caused another person or persons to suffer and possibly lose their lives.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54915 on: April 07, 2020, 12:05:00 pm »
@grizewald I hope and pray that you only have a cold or flu, but either way best wishes to you and hope you have a speedy recovery.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54916 on: April 07, 2020, 12:30:59 pm »

Even if this gets quashed by the courts which I suspect it might, the publicity this gains might deter others from doing such frankly stupid things when we don't really understand just how this virus behaves and what can be done to counter it. It is not like the common cold or normal flu, it is an invisible, silent killer that can strike anyone. It was initially thought that it would be most deadly to the elderly and infirm, that has subsequently been shown to be incorrect as there are now many people that fall outside that demographic that have tragically lost their lives. It was also thought that only about 1% of those that caught it would die from it, figures from the UK disprove that theory as can be seen from site https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/ it is in fact around 10%.

Until the scientists around the world come up with a vaccine and a proper cure that reduces the severity of it to a level similar to that of the common cold, I believe that it is very selfish of people who try to carry on as if nothing had happened, how can they deny that this is very serious, in just 4 months it has spread from a fish market in China to becoming a global nightmare. Even exercise could be and ought to be done within the confines of your own house / garden to minimise any risk of transferring it to others. Any excursion from your house should be for essential things only like getting food, medicines etc or if your key worker, going to work. My son has is a key worker and has been given a letter from his employers that he has to carry on him at all time to prove to anyone in authority that his trip is essential and should be allowed to proceed without hindrance.

Anyone can be carrying this virus and not have any effect from it, its not as if people who are either carriers or suffering from it suddenly sprout flags from their heads as a warning to others to keep their distance is it?

I personally would hate to think that any of my actions could have or would have caused another person or persons to suffer and possibly lose their lives.

I think we need to look at it rationally at the moment. The statistics we are recording here are absolutely not meaningful or useful as they stand and serve only to make the situation sound worse than it currently is. This is being leveraged by the press somewhat and the governments and being relatively poorly extrapolated by our universities into a set of wild assumptions. Granted wild assumptions are the only places we go but presenting them as fact and policy is somewhat disingenuous. Some problems with our recording:

1. We have no antibody tests that are viable therefore we don't have any "numerator" for the total deaths per infection.
2. We're not recording people who left hospital after recovery believe it or not.
3. We're not even recording the actual health outcomes, just the deaths. Not everything kills you even if it messes you up badly.
4. The recording method they use doesn't actually have a causal relation to the mortality as such. If someone comes in after crashing a motorbike, tests positive for covid-19 even if asymptomatic or if the test is contaminated (a big problem apparently!) then they get lumped in with the death statistics.
5. A lot of the statistical outliers are actually reported heavily on such as younger deaths. These are sad but inevitable. My nephew died from the flu a few years back as an example much to the surprise of everyone who wrote it off as "just flu".
6. The current infection testing is a snapshot of the status quo.
7. Some of the mortality risks are amplified by our handling of it and outcome of "viral load" which overwhelms the immune system.

Alas we have no idea what the outcome is going to be and the data we have is mostly trash. We are unfortunately a reactionary experiment at the moment and there's no exit plan other than "now what?" really. We are 12 months off on a vaccination and we don't know what the mortality statistics are, we have no viable testing and damage to society from the side effects from the reaction may outnumber the immediate deaths over a decade span. I suspect the "now what?" is we either burn everyone or some of us and let it run.

But, so far, all risks adjusted against what data we have, the mortality risk is literally just doubling your base line chance of dropping dead at the age you are. Still not desirable but at the end of the day considerably better than the statistics may suggest. But it's stil a shit show. If we have 10x the deaths we have now, which would be ugly, that still only represents a death rate of 0.79% as an end game. We lose 0.91% of our population every year at the moment as well from normal death as a comparison. 10% I doubt it will be.

Really though, don't get wrapped up in the guilt towards others. We should be respecting and looking after each other anyway, not just because the government told us we should be doing it at the moment...
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 12:37:31 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: Cerebus, Cubdriver, mnementh, worsthorse

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54917 on: April 07, 2020, 12:32:09 pm »
While sorting out some bits and bobs in my garage, I came across this little power supply from Lafayette Radio Electronics Corp. I remember buying this many years ago and thought I lost it during a house move. Put it on the bench to inspect it and see if it still worked.

Expecting the worst as you do after something's not been used for years, thought that the caps would be shot, so took it apart and inspected it and was amazed to see that looked like new still inside and no sign of caps leaking and indeed they all checked out as being OK. One thing did catch my eye and that was how the PCB was bent but that is how it was made and showed no signs of distress, so I powered it up and although the meter would suggest 20V maximum, it actually goes up to 32V as can be seen in the following photos and the meter would appear reasonably accurate when adjusted to 20V and it even has a far lower ripple than my Thurlby 30V - 2A supply. This is now added to my bench for low power devices  :-+ I wonder what other goodies I will discover as I come across boxes that have not been opened in nearly 30 years  :-DD

Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, med6753, Neomys Sapiens, bd139, grizewald, Kosmic

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54918 on: April 07, 2020, 12:55:23 pm »
Oh that's interesting. I had one exactly the same as one of those but it was made by Eagle Products. I seem to remember it got terribly hot and I was discouraged to find it was the transformer not the pass transistor that was doing it  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54919 on: April 07, 2020, 01:09:02 pm »
just got an invoice from Canon for the repair of my EF 24-105 IS STM lens.
They swapped out the front lens assembly, adjusted autofocus, distance measurement, lens assembly and checked sharpness.

Charge is 100€ including shipping and tax, this was a fixed price repair.
For that kind of work and the parts involved it's hard to beat.

Nice not too expensive!

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54920 on: April 07, 2020, 01:28:09 pm »
@bd139. Indeed we should all be looking after each other but clearly there are those that don't care a flying F£"$ about others, witness the TP stock piling among other examples.

There is no escaping the seriousness of this pandemic, it started in December 2019 in a Chinese fish market and by the time the Chinese authorities realised this was something that they had never come across before and had deadly results, the damage was already done because of the number of people who regularly travel to and from China to the worlds main business centres had already unwittingly carried the virus with them and passed it on from there to the smaller commerce centres around the world. In just 4 months it is claiming lives in just about every country in the world, this is very serious and if people do insist on making totally non-essential journey's then they are also part of the problem and are doing nothing to assist in stamping this out.

Who let Murphy in?

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54921 on: April 07, 2020, 01:36:10 pm »

Started like that for me too. Technically next step would be cough and fever. I really hope for you that this is something else  :-\

Take it easy and get better  :-+

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54922 on: April 07, 2020, 01:43:54 pm »
It was also thought that only about 1% of those that caught it would die from it, figures from the UK disprove that theory as can be seen from site https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/ it is in fact around 10%.

I agree with your other points, but I'll note that the actual calculation is "...10% of those who have been tested and found positive". We know there are many people we aren't testing - we only test those that are bad enough to go to hospital. I doubt bd was tested!

I've directly faced that w.r.t. my mother, myself and other people that visit/help her. I've told them explicitly that if my mother dies from it, then firstly we wouldn't know whether they were the cause and secondly she is likely to catch it and die one way or another.  So they can feel sad, but shouldn't feel guilty.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 01:53:06 pm by tggzzz »

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54923 on: April 07, 2020, 01:53:34 pm »
It was also thought that only about 1% of those that caught it would die from it, figures from the UK disprove that theory as can be seen from site https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/ it is in fact around 10%.

I agree with your other points, but I'll note that the actual calculation is "...10% of those who have been tested and found positive". We know there are many people we aren't testing - we only test those that are bad enough to go to hospital. I doubt bd was tested!

In Italia, they decided to test everybody in a village. They found out that 50-75% of the people affected with the coronavirus were asymptomatic.(https://www.bmj.com/content/368/bmj.m1165)

That would make the death rate a lot lower.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 01:57:22 pm by Kosmic »

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #54924 on: April 07, 2020, 02:02:47 pm »
Something is wrong ...

And the issue is not the short RG174 link having 47 Ohm impedance ;)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 02:04:38 pm by capt bullshot »
Safety devices hinder evolution

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf