Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 15460023 times)

duckduck and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #55025 on: April 08, 2020, 10:37:08 am »
The question is where do I relocate the humans I have caught?

First build your trebuchet...
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #55026 on: April 08, 2020, 10:39:57 am »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55027 on: April 08, 2020, 10:50:49 am »
I've already discounted weapons based solutions unfortunately. I did start at Hank Scorpio and slowly reduced the scope of murderous outcomes

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, grizewald

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55028 on: April 08, 2020, 11:08:54 am »
I've often thought that an effective deterrent would be a fully autonomous computer vision based targetting system complete with the servo driven gimbals that could aim guns/hoses/whatever but didn't. Instead just mount half a dozen with laser pointers - anyone who's seen the movies, hears the servo motors and spots the cluster of red dots on their chests is going to leg it pretty fast (unless they first got taken down by the neighbourhood cats playing 'kill the red dot').

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, Neomys Sapiens, bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55029 on: April 08, 2020, 11:09:26 am »
I was trying similar strategies against squirrels couple years ago. I ended up using a cage, was working quite nicely. I reckon, in your case, you would probably need to increase the size of the cage and that would probably attract neighbours attention.

* For the record, I relocated all the squirrels I caught in a park far far away.

The question is where do I relocate the humans I have caught?

Trying to decide if I need a Fluke 8010A in the collection again at the moment. There are a few being sold at the moment  :-//
Well you could relocate these humans at the local cop shop for trespassing  :-DD I know you've had a long history with gates, but for some reason, I always that you was talking about a front gate rather then back gate  :palm:

Fluke 8010A, why? It's only a 3.5 digit and a manual switcher?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 11:11:50 am by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55030 on: April 08, 2020, 11:10:56 am »
Oh my front gate is toast as well. It’s leaned up against the house at the moment. Literally gates and me are just the worst. Not sure why I bother.

Queuing at the local Asda now. It’s half way round the sodding car park.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55031 on: April 08, 2020, 11:11:29 am »
I've often thought that an effective deterrent would be a fully autonomous computer vision based targetting system complete with the servo driven gimbals that could aim guns/hoses/whatever but didn't. Instead just mount half a dozen with laser pointers - anyone who's seen the movies, hears the servo motors and spots the cluster of red dots on their chests is going to leg it pretty fast (unless they first got taken down by the neighbourhood cats playing 'kill the red dot').

That might work. Predator style  :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #55032 on: April 08, 2020, 11:14:19 am »

Trying to decide if I need a Fluke 8010A in the collection again at the moment. There are a few being sold at the moment  :-//

3.5 digits of goodness. Right up your alley. Go for it.  :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55033 on: April 08, 2020, 11:16:39 am »
Fairly good condition with all the bits but already a bit much for me and not 'needed'  >:D eBay auction: #293535499340

ooooh, a 410B. I've almost got one. My 428B wants company. But that's too far away, and a bit much. A legendary bit of kit, though.

Yea, Bean is our resident pimp.  :P :-DD

And like any good pimp I sample the merchandise visually before deciding if I should pursue it or pass it on to others  >:D

I do have a good working B version of this lovely Nixie shod Lady eBay auction: #233147247927 and the adding an A model might make her jealous so I will just leave her on the Street Corner :-DD

the 5326/27 family was always underappreciated.   they are relatively small, light, and cute as hell.  but folks with 5245's kept them because of all the plug in goodness and avoided their little non plugin cousins.

have a stack of them and still have every one that ever came my way.  (did trade away a couple but later traded led counters to get them back).

never paid more than 20 bucks for one.  like i said.....underappreciated by those without nixie fever.  (the fan does get noisy sometimes....bd beware).
free range primate

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #55034 on: April 08, 2020, 11:20:13 am »
Oh my front gate is toast as well. It’s leaned up against the house at the moment. Literally gates and me are just the worst. Not sure why I bother.

Grocery shopping this morning. Already back and stuff put away. I was first in at 6 AM. Store not crowded.

Overall store stock much improved over last week except for one (two) things. TP and paper towels. NONE. Aisle bare. I was talking with a cashier and while they put limits on the TP people are getting around the limit by having multiple family members purchase. So these assholes are still hoarding it. I don't get it. 

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #55035 on: April 08, 2020, 11:25:58 am »
Fairly good condition with all the bits but already a bit much for me and not 'needed'  >:D eBay auction: #293535499340

ooooh, a 410B. I've almost got one. My 428B wants company. But that's too far away, and a bit much. A legendary bit of kit, though.

And like any good pimp I sample the merchandise visually before deciding if I should pursue it or pass it on to others  >:D

I do have a good working B version of this lovely Nixie shod Lady eBay auction: #233147247927 and the adding an A model might make her jealous so I will just leave her on the Street Corner :-DD

the 5326/27 family was always underappreciated.   they are relatively small, light, and cute as hell.  but folks with 5245's kept them because of all the plug in goodness and avoided their little non plugin cousins.

have a stack of them and still have every one that ever came my way.  (did trade away a couple but later traded led counters to get them back).

never paid more than 20 bucks for one.  like i said.....underappreciated by those without nixie fever.  (the fan does get noisy sometimes....bd beware).

So are you saying the seller in Canada is charging too much for it?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55036 on: April 08, 2020, 11:27:04 am »
So these assholes are still hoarding it. I don't get it.

Monkey see, monkey do; do not engage brain, do not pass Go.

All the TP is missing so people who have a perfectly adequate supply still get more because they believe the absence suggests scarcity, which makes TP scarce, which means that the next guy sees the empty shelves and thinks ... repeat ad nauseam.

Edited to add: It can even affect the sane and rational among us. I've got at least a month's worth of TP, perhaps two - bought before the hoarding started. Even I am beginning to think, "You know, if I see a pack of our usual stuff perhaps I ought to get some, just in case the craziness continues" and if I do yield to that impulse I'll perpetuate the situation. Considering that I am demonstrably more rational than 99% of the rest of humanity it's easy to see how it snowballs.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 11:34:05 am by Cerebus »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #55037 on: April 08, 2020, 11:28:42 am »

All the TP is missing so people who have a perfectly adequate supply still get more because they believe the absence suggests scarcity, which makes TP scarce, which means that the next guy sees the empty shelves and thinks ... repeat ad nauseam.

And all I want is one freaking roll.  :palm:

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55038 on: April 08, 2020, 11:33:06 am »

Grocery shopping this morning. Already back and stuff put away. I was first in at 6 AM. Store not crowded.

Overall store stock much improved over last week except for one (two) things. TP and paper towels. NONE. Aisle bare. I was talking with a cashier and while they put limits on the TP people are getting around the limit by having multiple family members purchase. So these assholes are still hoarding it. I don't get it. 
Some medical article I was reading the other day was saying one of the possible symptoms or result of contracting Covid-19 could be diarrhoea
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #55039 on: April 08, 2020, 11:35:32 am »

Some medical article I was reading the other day was saying one of the possible symptoms or result of contracting Covid-19 could be diarrhoea

Could. Might. Probably won't. It still doesn't justify having 900 rolls socked away.  :palm:

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55040 on: April 08, 2020, 11:36:06 am »

Well, when you do get a supply, change your stocking plan, buy a bigger multi pack, and when you use half of it, add it to your shopping list again them you'll ensure a buffer stock should a similar event happen.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #55041 on: April 08, 2020, 11:39:25 am »

Well, when you do get a supply, change your stocking plan, buy a bigger multi pack, and when you use half of it, add it to your shopping list again them you'll ensure a buffer stock should a similar event happen.

I still have enough on hand to last at least 2 more weeks. But I suppose you are right. I have to assume that there will be a "shitpocalypse" always on the horizon.  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55042 on: April 08, 2020, 11:40:59 am »

Web MD says incidence of 4%, so in the noise, i.e. on any given day if you stopped 100 people in the high street and asked "have you experienced loose bowels today?" 4 of them would say yes. The touting of this as a symptom is more likely to be  a post facto rationalisation of people descending on toilet paper aisles like crows mobbing a dead rabbit.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55043 on: April 08, 2020, 11:44:00 am »
My back up battery for the 4503 still has not shown and the seller told me yesterday that the Royal Mail 2nd class delivery could take up to 10 days and that they might be running behind schedule with the current situation.

I replied and said that his listing stated 48hr courier not Royal Mail, today I have been given a full refund, fair enough, but why did he try to hide behind the Royal Mail argument when that was not on offer in the first place  :-// :wtf:
Who let Murphy in?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #55044 on: April 08, 2020, 11:45:09 am »

Web MD says incidence of 4%, so in the noise, i.e. on any given day if you stopped 100 people in the high street and asked "have you experienced loose bowels today?" 4 of them would say yes. The touting of this as a symptom is more likely to be  a post facto rationalisation of people descending on toilet paper aisles like crows mobbing a dead rabbit.

;D

The following users thanked this post: Cerebus, mnementh, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55045 on: April 08, 2020, 11:47:18 am »

Yep. This is more likely reality

BTW there is plenty of TP here now. I even got some kitchen roll. No supply problems I can see. However eggs, barbeque sauces and canned pineapple rings are apparently hopeless  >:(.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 11:49:02 am by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #55046 on: April 08, 2020, 11:48:05 am »

Article on the reasons for the TP shortage -

The toilet paper shortage is more complicated than you think

Order the industrial/commercial rolls on Amazon, it's there right now.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55047 on: April 08, 2020, 11:48:35 am »

Your possibly right, this was a doctor writing in a daily rag, the Daily Express IIRC and I don't normally like to quote a newspaper as in general the only truth that they print which you be sure of, the day and date of the issue  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55048 on: April 08, 2020, 11:52:07 am »

So are you saying the seller in Canada is charging too much for it?

well........the Canadian counter is in pretty good shape.

and all of my bargains were purchased 25 years ago when they were pretty common at the local hamfests.  these days they are pretty rare.

but will i be buying the one from the great white north?   no.
free range primate

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #55049 on: April 08, 2020, 11:52:13 am »

Yep. This is more likely reality

BTW there is plenty of TP here now. I even got some kitchen roll. No supply problems I can see. However eggs, barbeque sauces and canned pineapple rings are apparently hopeless  >:(.

:-DD :-DD :-DD

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf