Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 15317720 times)

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #59575 on: May 28, 2020, 12:01:28 am »
I should have my .6A slow blow fuses tomorrow from Mouser...then will be the moment of truth on whether that 184 actually works or not. The seller offered me a partial refund, but I haven't gotten any reply on a proposed amount...

Got the fuses. Good news and bad news. Good news no fireworks on power up. Bad news, it's definitely not fully working. Only some markers are stable. Others are unstable. Troubleshootin time!  :-BROKE

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #59576 on: May 28, 2020, 01:16:08 am »
As for the klystron: hey, it's rated at 250 mW, not 150 MW. What's yer problem ? I don't think this is more dangerous than 10 kgs of liquified N2O in that steel can boiling in the sun ...

Okay.... that's it. You're actually Vanessa Doofenshmirtz IRL, aren't you...? :-DD

mnem
So what kind of -inator are making with THIS little box of sunshine...?  >:D

alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59577 on: May 28, 2020, 01:21:00 am »
This is absolutely normal; a byproduct of oxidation which happens upon exposure to air with ANY baryonic matter to some extent. Carbon is a stable element, but the binders used to keep it on the silicone membrane keypad degrade with age and the surface becomes "glazed".

Add a little electrolysis from the charged PCB contacts and you get this condition which the only real cure is cleaning the carbon pads with alcohol to expose fresh carbon matrix every few years or replacing the silicone membrane itself with a brand-new one. And since they haven't been made in decades, that's pretty hard to make happen; hence the carbon pad repair kits.  ;)

mnem
 :-+

Good luck getting helium to oxidise   :3

Ha-ha... and the list of similar bell-end cases goes on & on. Given the right conditions and enough time etc... ;)

mnem
"The difficult we accomplish as scheduled. Impossible may take slightly longer."

Nope. It takes very special conditions to get helium to bond with anything, and compounds with both helium and oxygen in them are as yet still only theoretical, and rather unlikely to occur in Earth normal air.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helium

Yeah, yeah... I'm AWARE. This too is covered under "Given the right conditions and enough time etc..." ;)  As in "theoretical conditions" and "theoretical amounts of time"... say those at either end of the Universe, for example.  :-DD

mnem
 :popcorn:
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 01:26:17 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59578 on: May 28, 2020, 01:23:58 am »
So the CRT in the Type 561B may not be going bad after all. I went to measure the HV and it's only about -1.6KV. It should be -3.3KV. That's odd. So I started checking the HV Oscillator first and clumsy me accidentally shorted the input to the oscillator from the PSU. Result is the 125ma HV fuse popped. No other damage. But do you think I have a 125ma fuse on hand? Hell no. Order submitted and I'll have some Friday.

And no, I'm not jumpering the fuse to continue troubleshooting. I may be dumb but I ain't stupid.  :palm: ;D

"mmmnmrrrmmmnmmmmphlmmmmmph..." is the sound a dwagon makes when biting his tongue...

mnem
 >:D

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #59579 on: May 28, 2020, 01:24:38 am »

good evening all... lots of other things happening which necessitated an extended absence from online life and my bench. so all the work-in-progress that was piled there and being worked on, is still piled there, only just waiting to be worked.

i think things are shifting back to some semblance of normal now and i should have more free time for hanging out here and at my bench but who knows? there is what i think about things and there's what it is.

anyway, i don't imagine that i am going to go back and read the forty or fifty pages of posts between now and my last visit, so maybe someone can give me a synopsis?  :-DD
specialization is for insects.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59580 on: May 28, 2020, 01:29:37 am »
I could give you some in 7.62x51 with acoustic overload indicator  :-DD
He'd never get them in the fuse holder. Some .22 LR on the other hand...

Naaaahhh... med is definitely a "twisted-up gum wrapper" guy; I'd bet money lasagna on it.  :-DD

mnem
Yeah, now you KNOW I'm serious.  >:D

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59581 on: May 28, 2020, 01:57:39 am »
An actual drawer in my big rollaway 
Pffft... amateur. I am a ASE CERTIFIED Munter.  :-DD  And that's just the ones small enough to fit in a drawer.  >:D

Yeah, that's a nice collection. Aimed about the same as mine in terms of composition, but, larger. My smallest hammer, which I didn't count, is inherited, from my maternal grandfather, who was the first to work in IT in the family. He serviced typewriters, by Facit, the company that also made the fastest punched tape readers in the world.

A recent interest is the California Framing Hammer (because I saw Larry Haun use it in his classic framing video series.). Should I get one, or should I continue with my current favourite, the Hultafors TS? Or both?

Depends mostly on your use case. Neither are much use for an ASE...  ;)

If you're ACTUALLY framing a house, there's nothing can hold a candle to a Estwing Big Blue: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LNOLD8/ They'll drive a 10-16d nail home with one swat all day long, iff'n youzz can swing it all day long.

For household carpentry, I like their Ultra series; again, in smooth face. The magnetic nail starter is a godsend; you literally can set and drive a nail one-handed and SAFELY while hanging off a joist or ladder.  https://www.amazon.com/Estwing-Ultra-Hammer-Genuine-Leather/dp/B00FF2TJ3C/

That said... my favorite everyday/framing hammer is a smooth-face 20-oz Estwing rip hammer with the classic laminated leather handle. I've had 4 or 5; they never die, they get "liberated". |O But once you get used to the feel of that laminated leather grip, NOTHING is ever good enough. ;)   https://www.amazon.com/Estwing-Hammer-Straight-Genuine-Leather/dp/B0000224VA

As an aside... Estwing ALSO has a line of rockhound hammers that are VERY useful for "other purposes".

https://www.amazon.com/stores/Estwing/page/D6A3D1F0-DF2B-464E-9FFE-986D5D754310

mnem
*knocks self unconscious with a telescope mallet*
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 02:01:29 am by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: mansaxel

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #59582 on: May 28, 2020, 02:14:16 am »
You missed the best pro framing hammer Estwing ever made:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000224V9/ref=dp_cerb_1
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.   Come visit us at EMEX Stand #1001 https://www.emex.co.nz/
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #59583 on: May 28, 2020, 02:35:35 am »

good evening all... lots of other things happening which necessitated an extended absence from online life and my bench. so all the work-in-progress that was piled there and being worked on, is still piled there, only just waiting to be worked.

i think things are shifting back to some semblance of normal now and i should have more free time for hanging out here and at my bench but who knows? there is what i think about things and there's what it is.

anyway, i don't imagine that i am going to go back and read the forty or fifty pages of posts between now and my last visit, so maybe someone can give me a synopsis?  :-DD

People bought things, people fixed things, MED painted things blue, a few people sold things.  Basically the usual goings-on.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, bd139, Kosmic

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #59584 on: May 28, 2020, 02:52:20 am »
I should have my .6A slow blow fuses tomorrow from Mouser...then will be the moment of truth on whether that 184 actually works or not. The seller offered me a partial refund, but I haven't gotten any reply on a proposed amount...

Got the fuses. Good news and bad news. Good news no fireworks on power up. Bad news, it's definitely not fully working. Only some markers are stable. Others are unstable. Troubleshootin time!  :-BROKE

After a nice long warm up, alignment, and much control exercising, the 184 is 95% working. The other 5% is the H.F. sine marker function, which appears to be dead as a doornail.  :-BROKE

Also, FWIW, the power supply is completely in spec. All three rails are correct voltages and ripple is better than specified.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 02:54:32 am by 0culus »

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, BU508A, med6753, Specmaster, Kosmic, syau

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59585 on: May 28, 2020, 03:06:50 am »
Pffft... amateur. I am a ASE CERTIFIED Munter.  :-DD  And that's just the ones small enough to fit in a drawer.  >:D

In hammer we trust.

Amet. >:D

mnem

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, Mortymore, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59586 on: May 28, 2020, 03:28:59 am »
You missed the best pro framing hammer Estwing ever made:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000224V9/ref=dp_cerb_1
Nope. I've had several, and the 25-oz Big Blue beats 'em all hollow; and honestly, so do the Utra Series for getting work done. Estwing's implementation of the magnetic nail starter is a game-changer.

When I worked interior construction & make-ready out of a Bucket Boss, the E22L (same hammer in leather grip) was my "everyday" hammer; again, an awesome peg-beater. Too effing long for a toolbox hammer tho. ;)

Grand-dad was a great bear of a man... he favored a E30L in leather grip. That fucking this is a toothpick short of a post maul.  :-DD

Then of course, there's the OTHER big blue: https://www.amazon.com/Estwing-BIG-BLUE-Engineers-Hammer/dp/B00DT0P24C/

The 3-lb Engineer's Hammer; it would seem perfect for THIS crowd.  >:D

mnem
*mallet-head*

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59587 on: May 28, 2020, 03:42:04 am »
...Because the mech keyboard discussion (thanks bd), I bought a used cherry Mx red switches one (see here). I currently have an unLogictec brown switches one, curious to see how the difference is.
I love everything about that KB (steel frame, genuine Cherry reds, USB-C, reasonable price)

Well just plugged in my new TEA keyboard with red cherry mx keys.  I have the feeling I have found the right mattress to sleep in, not too hard and not too soft...  Coming from the brown ones it's like the fingers are falling into chocolate pudding, and I like this.   It's an older model with mini USB, not C. I do not care too much.

Surprise surprise I measured the current sucked by this keyboard with all back light keys on:

19mA: No back light [BL]
119mA: BL level 1 MIN
169mA: BL level 2
221mA: BL level 3
272mA: BL level 4 MAX (about 1,25W for me wasted!)

The dragon is right blue LED are more sexy, but I agree with bd: PC and LED circus light are not for me either...   So I leave the red LED there, and I keep the BL off.  Let's now see how you TEA gang will drain my bank account again in the next days.

PS: For the arm rest I used my Festool OF1010, the Festool RTS 400 and a 19mm plywood to get the job done. It's like night and day, finally my arm muscles are relaxed while I am typing.  :popcorn:

Yeah, I get not wanting the blue; but no way in hell you should give up the BL altogether being this KB is all plumbed for it.  :o Maybe nice, understated white like my Lenovo I'm typing on right now...?

mnem
*click... click... clicky-click-clickety...*

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
« Reply #59588 on: May 28, 2020, 03:47:22 am »
My old Estwing 4 lb literally says Engineer's Hammer on the side of it, not sure of the model... :)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59589 on: May 28, 2020, 03:47:27 am »
@BU508A Many thanks for your piece of filter material, it arrived today along with your surprise package to keep it company during the posting, it does get kind a lonely I guess in an envelope  :-DD I'm sure that I can find a use for them somewhere along the way. Here are a couple of photos with the filter installed and lit, beautiful contrast now  :-+

See...? That instantly looks more "finished" now. It's not just me.  :-+

mnem
Well, I may still be crazy. This particular instance is not the proof thereof; that's all.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, Specmaster

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
« Reply #59590 on: May 28, 2020, 04:03:04 am »
Argh!.... Does anyone have any personal experience with a Heathkit IG-57A??

I just pulled it out expecting a fully functional unit but several of the crystals don't seem to be oscillating!

Grrrrrrr.....

They're all essentially the oddball frequencies that aren't working!  Grrrrrr!!!!   >:(

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59591 on: May 28, 2020, 04:16:58 am »

People bought things, people fixed things, MED painted things blue, a few people sold things.  Basically the usual goings-on.

-Pat

I went and spent $150 on fans today (bought out 2 models from 2 Wally Wurlds) because the AC conked out and I had to wait for the property owner to get a HVAC tech out. Of course, one fan came with a smashed Jeezus Nut for the fan blades. |O

Knowing there weren't any replacements to be had because I'd bought them all, I resolved the issue  in classic "empirical engineer" style: After cogitating for a while on how I was going to make left-handed 8mm threads in a nut with my 3DP, I decided to patch the smashed nut with a zip-tie and hot snot. A quick spin on the motor while it was still hot to self-balance the gooey mass, and then just a matter of waiting 1/2 hour for the thing to fully cool. :-+

mnem
*toddles off to ded in a now-cool house*
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 04:18:30 am by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59592 on: May 28, 2020, 04:34:29 am »
Argh!.... Does anyone have any personal experience with a Heathkit IG-57A??

I just pulled it out expecting a fully functional unit but several of the crystals don't seem to be oscillating!

Grrrrrrr.....

They're all essentially the oddball frequencies that aren't working!  Grrrrrr!!!!   >:(

Put down the Engineer's Hammer and slowly back away... >:D

mnem
*knocks self unconscious with a clock mallet*

The following users thanked this post: drussell

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
« Reply #59593 on: May 28, 2020, 04:35:42 am »
*toddles off to ded in a now-cool house*

* drussell hopes not...   ;)

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #59594 on: May 28, 2020, 04:36:37 am »

-Pat

i now consider myself completely caught up. mahalo.  :D
specialization is for insects.

Offline jxjbsd

• Regular Contributor
  • 喜欢电子技术的网络工程师
« Reply #59595 on: May 28, 2020, 04:38:59 am »
A very new Tektronix 475 with DM44.  The function is normal, the only regret is that the back frame was broken by logistics.
Analog instruments can tell us what they know, digital instruments can tell us what they guess.

The following users thanked this post: med6753, bd139, Ero-Shan, Kosmic, 0culus

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #59596 on: May 28, 2020, 04:42:11 am »
(Attachment Link)

Am I the only one curious to know what Dave does think about us? He barely mention us.
PS: A big thank to you all, not only we do not need a mod, but also there is always something interesting to learn here and the tech level is very high for my standards.
I think you'll find that Dave does some moderation himself and there are others that help. If you watch many of his videos he often mentions us in them as we are now one of if the biggest threads on the forum and I think that he is very proud of his forum and rightly so. I understand that it is possibly the largest in the world but I do often wonder just how much longer he can continue to finance it given the current state of the world. I think we owe a lot to Dave for his generosity in provided us with this lovely platform and I for one salute him.

Well said, Zucca & Spec. I concur. :-+

BTW, this thread is now not only the largest thread by number of replies, it's also #1 in total views. :o
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59597 on: May 28, 2020, 04:49:30 am »
(Attachment Link)

Am I the only one curious to know what Dave does think about us? He barely mention us.
PS: A big thank to you all, not only we do not need a mod, but also there is always something interesting to learn here and the tech level is very high for my standards.
I think you'll find that Dave does some moderation himself and there are others that help. If you watch many of his videos he often mentions us in them as we are now one of if the biggest threads on the forum and I think that he is very proud of his forum and rightly so. I understand that it is possibly the largest in the world but I do often wonder just how much longer he can continue to finance it given the current state of the world. I think we owe a lot to Dave for his generosity in provided us with this lovely platform and I for one salute him.

If it ever disappears I'll quite happily fund + sysadmin another forum for TEA out of my own pocket on digitalocean or something. And it'll not throw quite as many 503's  :-DD

Thanks, bd. May we continue to be welcome at EEVblog for a good long time.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59598 on: May 28, 2020, 04:51:01 am »
With Discord we have already open parallel track, for the rest I will also be on bd side.

Yeah, that's a backup so we can still find each other, just in case. :-+

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
« Reply #59599 on: May 28, 2020, 04:52:21 am »
(Attachment Link)

If it ever disappears I'll quite happily fund + sysadmin another forum for TEA out of my own pocket on digitalocean or something. And it'll not throw quite as many 503's  :-DD

Thanks, bd. May we continue to be welcome at EEVblog for a good long time.

Indeed!   :-+

If there's ever a problem with the forum, I have an OC-48 here now and willing to host anything necessary, for free!...  ;)

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, mnementh, Specmaster

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf