Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 36004745 times)

0 Members and 2380 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 14488
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #61600 on: June 22, 2020, 05:58:22 pm »
I'm sure someone asked me a while back if I found a service manual for my Thandar TG2001.
Since I can't I suspect they may have been trolling me  :/


My car has decided to give me notice that it intends to expire soon, good thing I was already arranging a loan to get another   :palm:

My word, Vauxhall have really gone upmarket then, a build in early warning system of pending doom, they normally just die on you.  :-DD :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi
 

Offline BU508A

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4576
  • Country: de
  • Per aspera ad astra
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #61601 on: June 22, 2020, 06:10:02 pm »
To recognize Page 2465.  ;D



I'll hold your 2465 and go for the 2465B.  8)  ;D

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -
 
The following users thanked this post: med6753, wolfy007

Offline Cubdriver

  • Supporter
  • ****
  • Posts: 4201
  • Country: us
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #61602 on: June 22, 2020, 06:32:10 pm »
To recognize Page 2465.  ;D



I'll hold your 2465 and go for the 2465B.  8)  ;D



Might as well get the full family portrait up - I'll split the difference with an 'A' model.


-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...
 
The following users thanked this post: BU508A, med6753, wolfy007

Offline AVGresponding

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 5477
  • Country: england
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #61603 on: June 22, 2020, 06:41:06 pm »
My word, Vauxhall have really gone upmarket then, a build in early warning system of pending doom, they normally just die on you.  :-DD :-DD :-DD

I'm guessing the auxiliary belt tensioner is seizing up, or one of them anyway (this thing has 2 tensioners on the serpentine belt   |O ). Added to the growing list of other minor but tedious to fix things, I'm rapidly approaching the point of "totally can't be arsed".
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT
 

Offline Cerebus

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 10576
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #61604 on: June 22, 2020, 06:44:37 pm »
Edit...some examples: Once had a ground package go from Springfield to a town in Maine before getting sent back to me. Another time had a ground package that originated in California suddenly out for delivery in California.  :wtf: And it had the correct address.

Perhaps they got confused as to which Springfield. You USAians do have a surfeit of them, I just counted 6 not including the one in the Simpsons.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?
 
The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Cubdriver

  • Supporter
  • ****
  • Posts: 4201
  • Country: us
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #61605 on: June 22, 2020, 06:48:31 pm »
Edit...some examples: Once had a ground package go from Springfield to a town in Maine before getting sent back to me. Another time had a ground package that originated in California suddenly out for delivery in California.  :wtf: And it had the correct address.

Perhaps they got confused as to which Springfield. You USAians do have a surfeit of them, I just counted 6 not including the one in the Simpsons.

My guess is the one in Massachusetts - there's a regional USPS hub there that process most of the packages for this area in the Northeast.  My stuff coming to CT goes through there as well, and it is on occasion a black hole.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...
 

Offline SilverSolder

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 6126
  • Country: 00
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #61606 on: June 22, 2020, 06:50:15 pm »
My word, Vauxhall have really gone upmarket then, a build in early warning system of pending doom, they normally just die on you.  :-DD :-DD :-DD

I'm guessing the auxiliary belt tensioner is seizing up, or one of them anyway (this thing has 2 tensioners on the serpentine belt   |O ). Added to the growing list of other minor but tedious to fix things, I'm rapidly approaching the point of "totally can't be arsed".

Our local mechanic is grateful for work here in these covid times - all the niggling issues on my old cars are being fixed in little batches!     Not free, obviously, but not ridiculous either, and certainly beats new car payments!  :D

 

Offline Cerebus

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 10576
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #61607 on: June 22, 2020, 06:52:22 pm »
Yeah... a few months back, I passed on one of these at the thrift for $40, for utter lack of a place to put it and use it (this was about the time we had our conversation about tracking the dross inside even if you keep it in the garage, etc) and the fact it looked as if it had served a long time in-store and was very well-used & abused for its intended purpose. I do regret that choice now; since the COVID lockdown, the grinders are one of the things they had to lock away as well.  :palm:

mnem


Photo from the Kitchen, just to annoy you...

Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?
 
The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 17541
  • Country: us
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #61608 on: June 22, 2020, 06:56:12 pm »


mnem
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 06:58:05 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °
 

Offline bd139

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 23102
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #61609 on: June 22, 2020, 06:57:15 pm »
@bd139, found the ideal keyboard for you here   :-DD

Don't ya just love this guys honest review of it. I first saw an advert for this a few years ago, oh I desperately wanted one myself but clearly could not afford, it how lucky do I feel now  :-DD :-DD

Ahh I remember wanting one of them. Looked amazing.

Then I worked out that both my hands are usually over the keys so I couldn’t see them anyway so what was the point.  :palm:

Then again I’m typing this on a flipping iPad so I’m a massive hypocrite there  :-//
 

Offline BU508A

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4576
  • Country: de
  • Per aspera ad astra
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #61610 on: June 22, 2020, 07:19:15 pm »


mnem


*blerk*

NO Dragons in the coffee! This will give it a funny taste!   ;)
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -
 
The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 17541
  • Country: us
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #61611 on: June 22, 2020, 07:19:20 pm »
To recognize Page 2465.  ;D



I'll hold your 2465 and go for the 2465B.  8)  ;D



Might as well get the full family portrait up - I'll split the difference with an 'A' model.


-Pat



Sadly, this is the only picture of any of my 2465s that I can lay hands on ATM.   :'(

mnem
 :-[
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °
 

Offline med6753

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 11346
  • Country: us
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #61612 on: June 22, 2020, 08:11:12 pm »
Edit...some examples: Once had a ground package go from Springfield to a town in Maine before getting sent back to me. Another time had a ground package that originated in California suddenly out for delivery in California.  :wtf: And it had the correct address.

Perhaps they got confused as to which Springfield. You USAians do have a surfeit of them, I just counted 6 not including the one in the Simpsons.

My guess is the one in Massachusetts - there's a regional USPS hub there that process most of the packages for this area in the Northeast.  My stuff coming to CT goes through there as well, and it is on occasion a black hole.

-Pat

Yes, it's the one in Masshole.  |O

Edit, and to round out the 2465 page. The Full Monte Version.  ;D

« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 08:14:51 pm by med6753 »
An old gray beard with an attitude.
 
The following users thanked this post: mnementh, wolfy007

Offline worsthorse

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1237
  • Country: us
  • aina varma, usein väärin
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #61613 on: June 22, 2020, 08:20:42 pm »

Being a guy that holds both an engineering degree and an MBA (along with a master of divinity, but that's a different story) and worked as a bench engineer, company executive and technology investor I can only say that assuming that "psychopathic MBAs" that don't understand what they do completely ignores the two central problems of modern corporate capitalism. 

Thank you. Your sobering position is well made and gives a much needed depth to the picture of my annoyance. 

I would want to elaborate, viz;

  • The desire to end up in the management sphere is, I speculate, measurably correlated to a increased frequency of desire to manipulate the people around you, which is in essence the hierarchy component in management. Regardless of why.
  • That something is rational to do for a small, strong subset of the population, is not in and of itself sufficient to make it the right thing to do, not for them, not for someone else.

As to the benefits of being a major asshole and getting away with it once you're rich enough, I think we agree.

In short, I'm angry, and you point out that it is not as simple as that. Thanks.

Why wouldn't you be angry? It can be a shitty world if you aren't in the Master of the Universe category and a really shitty one if you are also some combination of young, poor, a person of color, female, queer, etc.  Not to sound too much like one of our compadres here but the economic game, at least in the United States, is pretty much rigged so that it can seem like there's only two choices: exploiter and exploited. Given that, it is easy to believe that people aiming for management jobs are exploitation oriented. The reality is much more mundane: with a title like director or VP or partner comes a bit of control over one's future and the chance to make more than a bare living. Such things aren't much available otherwise anymore without an MBA or connections and a certain willingness to rank yourself more worthy than your fellows. 

Are there cynical, grasping, greedy, evil people in management positions? You betcha. Lots of them, all doing whatever they can to claw their way up. But there are also many that do what they can for their employees and customers in a system that's designed to thwart altruism and enslave all but the guy (and yeah, it is almost always a guy) sitting in the corner office. Along with a fair share of cynical greedy grasping types, I was lucky enough to work for, and with, some of the good ones along the way.

And that will be my last bit of soapboxing, promise. I know I can be a bore when this particular topic comes up.    :popcorn:
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 08:22:46 pm by worsthorse »
specialization is for insects.
 
The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline tggzzz

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 23122
  • Country: gb
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #61614 on: June 22, 2020, 08:21:29 pm »
Edit, and to round out the 2465 page. The Full Monte Version.  ;D



Ah yes, the one with the ridiculous time precision, and the dismal user interface for selecting what is being measured. 24x5? good, 24x5? DMS bad. Want to buy a 2465 DMS? :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less
 

Offline med6753

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 11346
  • Country: us
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #61615 on: June 22, 2020, 08:29:49 pm »


Ah yes, the one with the ridiculous time precision, and the dismal user interface for selecting what is being measured. 24x5? good, 24x5? DMS bad. Want to buy a 2465 DMS? :)

Oh, I agree. Every time I want to change measurement function I have to consult the manual. I typically just leave it on Frequency function as shown and move on. The DMM function automatically over rides it when turned on. I think they made it better on the A and B.

   
An old gray beard with an attitude.
 

Offline jvenema

  • Contributor
  • Posts: 15
  • Country: nl
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #61616 on: June 22, 2020, 08:30:08 pm »
I’ve probably said this before, but I always admired Philips’ ability to produce every part for their products in house.
I used to work in the factory where Philips made those CRTs.
EVERYTHING, literally EVERYTHING could be sourced in house back then. It was glorious.
We had a great T&M department that supplied all of our testgear. Scopes, DMM, pulse gens, hell, even isolation trannies. Everything started with "PM...".
Caps, resistors, ICs, trannies - you name it - we made it.
And all the machinery to make, calibrate, measure and test the CRTs was made in Eindhoven or our in-house tooling shop by our own people.  I guess less than 10% was bought parts.
And you could get any drawing, service manual, mechanical drawing you wanted. There was an office with an old russian one-eyed guy. You'd pass him a slip of paper with the drawing number and he'd be like:
"Chom' back in half hour, da?"
He pull up a microfiche from the archive and then somehow transferred that onto A1 paper. There was a huge printing machine with a big drum where the sheet would wrap around. It rotated for some time and the drawing was printed. Don't know what type of printer that was, if anyone knows, please let me know.
He'd then put the sheet on a large table, reinforce the edged with thick transparent tape and gave it the DIN824 fold. See: https://www.compuphase.com/electronics/folding.htm
Then, rather then mundanely punching the holes for filing, he would punch reinforced brass rivets through it. It was a small piece of art.
"Here, is finish! Dasvidaniya!"

God, i miss those days!

Guess my days at Philips was a little bit later, although it was a fun time. Especially the Natlab was nice.  ;D
 

Offline tggzzz

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 23122
  • Country: gb
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #61617 on: June 22, 2020, 08:39:01 pm »


Ah yes, the one with the ridiculous time precision, and the dismal user interface for selecting what is being measured. 24x5? good, 24x5? DMS bad. Want to buy a 2465 DMS? :)

Oh, I agree. Every time I want to change measurement function I have to consult the manual. I typically just leave it on Frequency function as shown and move on. The DMM function automatically over rides it when turned on. I think they made it better on the A and B.

Ah. So my incompetence doesn't mean I'm having a continual senior moment. Phew.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less
 

Offline bd139

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 23102
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #61618 on: June 22, 2020, 08:44:37 pm »
Still think that abomination stuck on top has the same appeal and mounting aesthetic as the cough gremlin:

https://youtu.be/_sWq48oah60
 
The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline tggzzz

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 23122
  • Country: gb
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #61619 on: June 22, 2020, 08:53:47 pm »
Still think that abomination stuck on top has the same appeal and mounting aesthetic as the cough gremlin:

https://youtu.be/_sWq48oah60

Now there's an image for 2020 :(

If Tek hadn't overloaded so many buttons, it would be a nice addition on the top. Look at the time/frequency resolution! When measuring the interval of my 10MHz oscillator, the interval resolution is 10fs - before it has all stabilised, it shows 99.99986ns. Damn sure it isn't accurate to all those digits, though!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 09:14:06 pm by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less
 
The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Specmaster

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 14488
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #61620 on: June 22, 2020, 08:53:55 pm »
My word, Vauxhall have really gone upmarket then, a build in early warning system of pending doom, they normally just die on you.  :-DD :-DD :-DD

I'm guessing the auxiliary belt tensioner is seizing up, or one of them anyway (this thing has 2 tensioners on the serpentine belt   |O ). Added to the growing list of other minor but tedious to fix things, I'm rapidly approaching the point of "totally can't be arsed".

Serpentine belt, thats a sure sign that you spend way too much time watching USA YT car channels, right there  :-DD That can happen at anytime, it happened on my 5year old Superb last year and left me stranded on the A14 waiting for the AA patrol to reach me, it knackered my battery forcing its replacement  :--
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi
 

Offline BreakingOhmsLaw

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 399
  • Country: de
  • Certified solder fume addict
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #61621 on: June 22, 2020, 09:05:30 pm »
Guess my days at Philips was a little bit later, although it was a fun time. Especially the Natlab was nice.  ;D
It was. But in my time (early 90s) it had already long passed it's golden days. I recently visited Fluke in Eindhoven and actually met a few people i knew back in the day.
But meh, Philips is not the same anymore. Just a shadow of their former self. A shame really, the pay was very good, job was fun and the engineers there were top flight. I learned most i know about electronics while working there.
 

Offline Messtechniker

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 920
  • Country: de
  • Old analog audio hand - No voodoo.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #61622 on: June 22, 2020, 09:31:52 pm »
In the beginning Seventies I came across some extremely well written Philips educational publications on valve equipment (basic valve circuits) where the enthusiasm of the authors in what they are doing is very apparent. Have never come across such dedication in technical publications ever since.
Probably published by the end of the Sixties.  Does anyone remember these too? Possibly with a link or two?
Agilent 34465A, Siglent SDG 2042X, Hameg HMO1022, R&S HMC 8043, Peaktech 2025A, Voltcraft VC 940, M-Audio Audiophile 192, R&S Psophometer UPGR, 3 Transistor Testers, DL4JAL Transistor Curve Tracer, UT622E LCR meter, UT216C AC/DC Clamp Meter
 

Offline mnementh

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 17541
  • Country: us
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #61623 on: June 22, 2020, 10:00:55 pm »
Still think that abomination stuck on top has the same appeal and mounting aesthetic as the cough gremlin:   https://youtu.be/_sWq48oah60

Now there's an image for 2020 :(



mnem
 :popcorn:
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 10:26:58 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °
 
The following users thanked this post: worsthorse, bd139

Offline med6753

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 11346
  • Country: us
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #61624 on: June 22, 2020, 10:30:53 pm »
Still think that abomination stuck on top has the same appeal and mounting aesthetic as the cough gremlin:

https://youtu.be/_sWq48oah60

Now there's an image for 2020 :(

If Tek hadn't overloaded so many buttons, it would be a nice addition on the top. Look at the time/frequency resolution! When measuring the interval of my 10MHz oscillator, the interval resolution is 10fs - before it has all stabilised, it shows 99.99986ns. Damn sure it isn't accurate to all those digits, though!

Agree on all points except the counter accuracy. I've proven that mine is pretty much spot on to a 10MHz reference. Perhaps yours needs calibration? It's not all that difficult to do and I've successfully done it. 
An old gray beard with an attitude.
 


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf

 

-->