Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 15544030 times)

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #64725 on: July 28, 2020, 10:33:22 pm »
LOL someone bit on the low ball offer I made on something (60% asking price). Now own an HP 3478A again in unknown condition. Powers up, shows usual Hi-Z floating VDC. Sure it'll be fine if that much is working. Old style one with metal frame. Hopefully I'll not penis fingers this one  :-DD

Nice. Definitely prefer the aluminum bezel. :-+
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64726 on: July 28, 2020, 10:36:33 pm »
todays catch...

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

car also doing fine... not bad, i was hitting 140 at times ,still economic...
(Attachment Link)

Wow, Tony. You're making us look bad. :-DD

Nice catch!

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64727 on: July 28, 2020, 10:44:46 pm »
Guess the proper meters agree..  i am very lucky in that sense with the meters i buy and there calibration.
only now i feel i bit silly i bought that owon  :-DD

(Attachment Link)

That 199 appears to be in great condition. Does it happen to have a scanner card in it? That'd be a bonus.

I like these old Keithley DMMs with the big LED displays. I have a 196.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64728 on: July 28, 2020, 10:46:41 pm »
How is this guy not dead? https://youtu.be/gBDZrrUu5rg

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64729 on: July 28, 2020, 10:49:17 pm »
in a nasty fight with Ali right now.
i order 3 seperate orders a 10Mhz distributer, SG1 en FA2 from our friend BG7TBL...
seller sends only 1 item... but has put same tracking number on all 3 orders....
now i need the explain in a dispute that i received only one, while all 3 orders are send with alishipping and have status received..... |O
only thing i can do is make a picture of the box and the content... hope its enough..

** as i thought ali-robot says NO... you received it... #@$#$!#$

As a precautionary measure, I at least photograph my unboxings. Sometimes I'll video them (harder since I'm not set up for it; hint hint ;)). Just in case of such nonsense, I can at least show what I actually received. It's paid off a couple of times so far convincing the seller to take care of it without having to escalate to eBay.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, tonyalbus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #64730 on: July 28, 2020, 11:01:54 pm »

Huh...?

What do you have against linkbacks? Seems only proper to give correct attribution; the author does this for a living: http://wondermark.com/001/

Besides... he's my kind of futtinna'ead...  :-DD

mnem
 >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #64731 on: July 28, 2020, 11:38:09 pm »

What the hell...that "thing" he's building is a deathtrap! Plus easy shorts galore.  :--

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #64732 on: July 29, 2020, 12:07:53 am »
Talking of which I found a 74181 ALU date coded 1972 earlier. Had that since about 1990 and not used it yet  :-DD.

I still have the 6800 and 128 bytes of RAM I bought in 1976. Cost ~1 weeks wages, but helped me get a job after university :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64733 on: July 29, 2020, 12:20:51 am »

Huh...?

What do you have against linkbacks?

In this case I couldn't just say "I emailed that image to my daughter", because the image wasn't visible and people wouldn't have known what I was talking about.

More generally, the context isn't presented in the right place, and requires all the readers to actively chase the context. IMNSHO it is polite for authors to make things easy for their readers.

A good example of the problem is the message below. It is entirely unclear what is "making us look bad"!

todays catch...

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Nice catch!

Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline TorinoFermic

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #64734 on: July 29, 2020, 12:32:52 am »
At last !
My solartron 7150 functions nicely  :-DMM

The following users thanked this post: edavid, Ice-Tea, BU508A, Specmaster, bd139, Kosmic, AVGresponding, tonyalbus

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64735 on: July 29, 2020, 12:44:04 am »
Got delivery of my latest batch of goodies.  ;D

What I thought was a TM500 'toolbox' was actually a completely unused prototyping module, I'm not sure I really want to use it though, it seems special somehow....

Oh, you must not torture yourself....looking at postal rates from JP already. ;D

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #64736 on: July 29, 2020, 02:10:41 am »
And a delay of game on the 3478A that is waiting for me downstairs.

I've been getting stuck on the yard work between the thunderstorms, shift work, and extreme heat and humidity.  I put in several hours running the electric hedge trimmer outside in a combination of Texas Chainsaw Massacre meets Edward Scissorhands on the overgrowth in the back yard and cleared up seven yard waste bags worth with more on the ground waiting to be scooped up by the time I packed it in.  It's a dent, a good dent, but still a dent on what I need to get done out there.

It's supposed to rain tomorrow which the grass badly needs and since that'll confine me indoors, I'll head down to my evil lair and start work on that 3478A.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, mnementh, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #64737 on: July 29, 2020, 03:05:31 am »

Huh...?

What do you have against linkbacks?

In this case I couldn't just say "I emailed that image to my daughter", because the image wasn't visible and people wouldn't have known what I was talking about.

More generally, the context isn't presented in the right place, and requires all the readers to actively chase the context. IMNSHO it is polite for authors to make things easy for their readers.

A good example of the problem is the message below. It is entirely unclear what is "making us look bad"!

todays catch...

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Nice catch!

Ahhhh.... okay. I thought you were talking about the link I posted along with back to the author's site, not this particular aspect of the many ways in which SMF molests people's posts.  :o

I don't USUALLY post fullsize images... so not a frequent offender. I usually only do it when something is already "just big enough to read" or when it rates full "Poster-Size" presentation.

I guess I've gotten so used to it, I don't even think about having to copy/paste at least one image link when someone else does it.  :-//

For me resizing pics to minimum required to identify source when I quote is just good etiquette; a thumb is enough when there's already a copy or three of a pic further back on the page, but for the sake of those jumping in at the end, or the "occasional lurker" who only tunes in once in a while... I think it's polite to give them the ability to click on it and see the full image.

Also, I have a little stash of "commonly reused pics" on pages 1139 & 1140   (default pagination, not the way you usually count ;)) and this      is one I've added there for future mischief. I know it probably confuses the ever-lovin' FUCK outta people actually slogging through the WHOLE thread when they hit those two pages; that knowledge just warms the cockles of my heart.  >:D

mnem
*toddles off to ded*    :=\
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 03:12:44 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #64738 on: July 29, 2020, 05:19:40 am »
Also, I have a little stash of "commonly reused pics" on pages 1139 & 1140   (default pagination, not the way you usually count ;)) and this      is one I've added there for future mischief.
I've thought of doing that myself - but I just tend to trawl through my previously used images until I find the one I'm after and then copy the image address for use.  No point duplicating an image on the server.

Your approach is far more efficient - even if a little mischievous. 

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #64739 on: July 29, 2020, 05:49:12 am »
I'm surprised that I've been able to ignore JIS and Pozidriv for this many decades :-[

On this side of the pond, we were in the 50/50 league. Half PZ, half PH. UK kit seemed to be much more PZ, while german stuff was Allen/Inbus. Wood screws were PZ, if not for drywall, there PH ruled.

Now it's all moving to Torx.

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #64740 on: July 29, 2020, 05:59:11 am »
Guess the proper meters agree..  i am very lucky in that sense with the meters i buy and there calibration.
only now i feel i bit silly i bought that owon  :-DD

(Attachment Link)

That 199 appears to be in great condition. Does it happen to have a scanner card in it? That'd be a bonus.

I like these old Keithley DMMs with the big LED displays. I have a 196.

Will check, thanks.... what does that do?
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #64741 on: July 29, 2020, 06:58:36 am »

My assumption is: he is a follower of ElectroBoom. Proof: at second 7 ongoing one can spot a full rectifier. :-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #64742 on: July 29, 2020, 07:01:47 am »
Remember that faulty Fluke 8842A I had for sale? Customer left feedback saying it was "better than described". So I contacted him, he says it just worked. So..

- Received: works.
- Shipped: doesn't work.
- Shipped back & checked: doesn't work.
- Shipped again as faulty: works.

Uhm, OK?

Sounds like it might be a bad contact on the front/rear inputs switch, I see a few people seem to have problems with that.

Could that result in the SW going bonkers?

I just had a look: currently, you are having 97 followers. But who they are, no idea. Except for one (me) :)

Ah! It's indeed mentioned on the page of the shop! Well, that's something. At least my SMARR can be activated like this (Social Media Approval Rating Receptors)

I personally agree with your practice here; describe the unit as completely and candidly as you can, and price reasonably according to that. I've never had anyone complain that I gave too much information on a sale. ;)

Yup. I actually mostly ship a unit with known issues off to an auction. Someone will pay what it's worth in the end. Price probably ends up a wee bit lower but no complaints in the end.

Offline graybeard

• Frequent Contributor
  • Consulting III-V RF/mixed signal/device engineer
    • Chris Grossman
« Reply #64743 on: July 29, 2020, 07:14:16 am »
I just received a Tektronix TDS784D from Switzerland.  I bought it on fleaBay a couple of weeks ago and it arrived today.  It came with a LCD display and new NVRAM.  It seems to work great.  Here are some shots of it measuring the output of my Colby PG-1000A 1GHz pulse generator.   I am measuring a 200 MHz square wave.   The spec'ed rise/fall time of the Colby is 200ps.

I'm very happy with it!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 07:18:47 am by graybeard »

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, med6753, bd139, Kosmic, syau, tonyalbus

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #64744 on: July 29, 2020, 07:33:01 am »
Today arrival: new keyboard from Logitech.

It is the Logitech G413 silver. This thing is heavy! And the typing is very nice. Precise, good feedback, nice tactile feeling, very ergonomic for me.
And I like the white illumination.

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, tonyalbus

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64745 on: July 29, 2020, 07:48:44 am »
That looks quite neat that. Got to say that Logitech actually have their shit together with input devices. I’ve gone back to my Logitech G203 mouse because the Apple one was possibly the worst mouse the human race could muster.

Offline syau

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #64746 on: July 29, 2020, 07:57:02 am »
https://www.ebay.com/itm/402342372221

No affiliate with the seller

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64747 on: July 29, 2020, 08:24:43 am »
Ahhhh.... okay. I thought you were talking about the link I posted along with back to the author's site, not this particular aspect of the many ways in which SMF molests people's posts.  :o

I don't USUALLY post fullsize images... so not a frequent offender. I usually only do it when something is already "just big enough to read" or when it rates full "Poster-Size" presentation.

I guess I've gotten so used to it, I don't even think about having to copy/paste at least one image link when someone else does it.  :-//

For me resizing pics to minimum required to identify source when I quote is just good etiquette; a thumb is enough when there's already a copy or three of a pic further back on the page, but for the sake of those jumping in at the end, or the "occasional lurker" who only tunes in once in a while... I think it's polite to give them the ability to click on it and see the full image.

Just so.

When I want to help the reader by de-emphasising the pictorial context, I'm happy to insert a "width=200" modifier.

I normally gimp my pictures down to 640/800/1024 before posting them, except in the rare cases where the extreme resolution would actually help somebody.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #64748 on: July 29, 2020, 08:40:45 am »
On other notes: red lines and what experts are saying about them:

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64749 on: July 29, 2020, 08:49:32 am »
Ah that. I've got one scheduled for tomorrow at 09:30. I am going in with European Banking Authority and ISO 27001 compliance checklists and an attitude inherited from Deadpool. I'm as happy as a pig in shit about that :-DD

Edit: am however not happy about my TG320 which was supposed to be dispatched but they basically printed the label and left it at that. No sign of it actually being thrown at a brown-clad delivery troll.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Kosmic

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf