Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 15544746 times)

marcumr, Peter_O and 61 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #68850 on: September 07, 2020, 02:19:56 pm »
Edit: place your bets. Broken or not broken? Hameg HM605:

Looking at that packaging, I'd say broken  :palm:

Edit: I've seen the other posts, it is nothing short of a miracle that it arrived undamaged  :-+
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 02:22:23 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #68851 on: September 07, 2020, 02:20:57 pm »
I gotta admit... I really don't get the high reverence for that family of [FLUKE] meter; aside from lower standards of the time.  :palm:  Those switches were a major POF, and as the signal actually passes through the switches, hugely dependent upon them for quality of measurement.

Weird that they just keep on working forever and never seem to need calibration.  :popcorn:

(the switches are actually self-cleaning types)

Except when they don't. Which, as we've seen many times in here, happens frequently enough to call it a common POF, hence that post.  ;)

OTOH, to a true TEA, that common POF is our little trade secret for acquiring a good meter for a pittance.

mnem
TEA Rule of acquisition number 11: "A common POF = Money in the bank."
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 02:25:51 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68852 on: September 07, 2020, 02:24:23 pm »
In my case, it's because the cycles I can comfortably ride (my back will not tolerate more than 5 minutes hunched over on a mountain bike) don't usually come in a multi-speed variant, so I'm stuck either  modding a beach cruiser with a expensive wide-rim 5-7 gear cluster wheel or trying to turn a cheap mountain bike into a beach cruiser. Neither works out very well. Closest I've come is putting BMX headstock & bars on a mountain bike; still looking for a tolerable seat for that butt-ugly beast.

What you need is a tricycle.

OK, so you might need My Little Carthorse rather than My Little Pony but the principle is sound.  :)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68853 on: September 07, 2020, 02:27:51 pm »
I've ordered today two of them. Curious, if they are any good.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10000132950232.html

Triax 3-lug male connector.

Yeah, me too (curious that is). The price is relatively high for a Chinese connector, which bodes well. Please report back once you've got them.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68854 on: September 07, 2020, 02:33:03 pm »
In my case, it's because the cycles I can comfortably ride (my back will not tolerate more than 5 minutes hunched over on a mountain bike) don't usually come in a multi-speed variant, so I'm stuck either  modding a beach cruiser with a expensive wide-rim 5-7 gear cluster wheel or trying to turn a cheap mountain bike into a beach cruiser. Neither works out very well. Closest I've come is putting BMX headstock & bars on a mountain bike; still looking for a tolerable seat for that butt-ugly beast.

What you need is a tricycle.      OK, so you might need My Little Carthorse rather than My Little Pony but the principle is sound.  :)

Have one. Bought it for the little grrl. VERY difficult to mod for multi-geared drive, but I haven't abandoned the idea yet.

It strikes me that a recumbent bicycle might be an option for those who have a back problem or a saddle problem. An old friend/colleague of mine who had a mullered back courtesy of a major motorcycle crash (lots of titanium pins and months in hospital) used to use one successfully and in comfort.
(SNIP)

The cost of entry here is the big obstacle... either lots of money or a shop well-equipped enough to build your own. Same problem as a fatbike, plus you need a lot more storage space. :-//

mnem
Been dere, dunnat, burned da shoit.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 02:42:55 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #68855 on: September 07, 2020, 02:35:59 pm »
curve tracer voltage / current loop design. Currently uncompensated so this will no doubt oscillate like a wild monkey masturbating

sw1 sets voltage or current steps. sw2 sets step size.

Edit: looking at bias currents and stuff I’m going to have to add range switching for current sense for micro amp ranges. This gets really complicated really quickly. Need to build something that scales from 1uA to 10mA with better than 5% accuracy, universal stability under load level changes and a fair compliance range  :scared:

I doubt a 741 can be used to measure high-side current; instrumentation amps are traditional, but ISTR there's an opamp with a ridiculously high input voltage spec (i.e. >>supply voltage) that can be used for this.

Will you need a negative supply?

If you need a higher voltage output, consider this circuit ...

FFI, see the current "High Voltage op amp" thread in s.e.d :)

Yuck. Even some MPSA94 and MPSA44s would run better than that :)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 02:38:21 pm by Wolfgang »

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68856 on: September 07, 2020, 02:36:06 pm »
I've ordered today two of them. Curious, if they are any good.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10000132950232.html

Triax 3-lug male connector.

Yeah, me too (curious that is). The price is relatively high for a Chinese connector, which bodes well. Please report back once you've got them.

+1, I'm also curious. Not sure I would trust noname connectors for precision stuff though.

Edit: Look like they are all brass, even the central pin  :-\ Normally on good connectors the central pins are made of Beryllium Copper.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 02:43:40 pm by Kosmic »

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #68857 on: September 07, 2020, 02:38:05 pm »
The fun was in seeing the look of frustration on the faces of Yuppies in flash cars being beaten in a race, repeatedly, by a scruffy student on a bicycle in jeans and a T-shirt.

I really hope you did this as you passed them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25_5aBnMHwA?t=14
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68858 on: September 07, 2020, 02:43:58 pm »
Seriously; fatbikes & eBikes have gone fucking crazy cost-wise... combining the two is a recipe for wallet evisceration. |O

My neighbour flogs electric bikes. A month or two ago he told me the earliest delivery time was 2021.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68859 on: September 07, 2020, 03:21:43 pm »
The fun was in seeing the look of frustration on the faces of Yuppies in flash cars being beaten in a race, repeatedly, by a scruffy student on a bicycle in jeans and a T-shirt.

I think that would have fallen under the heading "rubbing salt into the wound".

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68860 on: September 07, 2020, 03:37:07 pm »
Yeah, remember that you're essentially a pedestrian in this scenario; that would definitely be picking a fight outside your weight class.

mnem
Yes, even a fat old bastahd like me. >:D

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68861 on: September 07, 2020, 04:10:57 pm »

I think that would have fallen under the heading "rubbing salt into the wound".

Exactly :)

Yeah, remember that you're essentially a pedestrian in this scenario; that would definitely be picking a fight outside your weight class.

In central London the cyclist will usually be able to get away; cycling is by far the fastest way around, and there are many side streets. Not so in the suburbs or other cities.

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #68862 on: September 07, 2020, 04:17:46 pm »

Watch this , guy's a legend lol

In other news, blood and fucking piss!!!   |O :rant:

Turns out the "random" DHL card I got through the door last Friday (thought it was for someone else as the phone number for the waybill on the website wasn't mine) wasn't random at all, but for the HP 5316A.

Seems the seller put their name and phone number in, instead of mine, so I couldn't reschedule the parcel. Feckwit.
Just spent 10+ minutes and a no doubt rounded up so £0.84 (7p/min) talking to DHL getting it sorted out.

I probably won't even assassinate the seller in feedback as I'm just too nice.

I also haven't put feedback for the Keithley or the Fluke 289 yet, but I guess I should stop being passive-aggressive and put them out of their misery and let them know they arrived intact despite the woefully inadequate packing...   :-DD
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, mnementh, Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68863 on: September 07, 2020, 04:25:02 pm »
In central London the cyclist will usually be able to get away; cycling is by far the fastest way around, and there are many side streets. Not so in the suburbs or other cities.
Yebbutt always lots of "pinch points"... and a already-on-the-verge-of-road-rage city driver, once taunted, is quite likely to go over the edge and get "pinchy" with his bumpers, if you see my meaning.  ;) A really nasty way to go... just ask Anton Yelchin (Ensign Checkov).

mnem
 :scared:

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #68864 on: September 07, 2020, 04:27:58 pm »
Yebbutt always lots of "pinch points"... and a already-on-the-verge-of-road-rage city driver, once taunted, is quite likely to go over the edge and get "pinchy" with his bumpers, if you see my meaning.  ;) A really nasty way to go... just ask Anton Yelchin (Ensign Checkov).

mnem
 :scared:

Didn't he get run over by his own car because the parking brake wasn't applied properly?
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68865 on: September 07, 2020, 04:41:54 pm »
Yeah, they found him pinched between his Jeep and a concrete column.

mnem
*blerk*

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68866 on: September 07, 2020, 04:53:01 pm »
Well that cleaned up well... it looks damn near new for 1985 vintage!

Zener in test.

Horizontal cal is out by the looks. I will go through the cal steps on it.

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, wolfy007, FransW, Kosmic

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #68867 on: September 07, 2020, 05:00:18 pm »
did some long walk today including about 4 km through sand. Tired as hell.

Mmmmhmmm... so what was on the other end of the walk...? Something Nakamichi...?  :-DD

mnem
 :popcorn:

Did you effing have to jinx it ? I just had to bid for a high end Nakamichi Power Amp.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68868 on: September 07, 2020, 05:01:38 pm »
Yeah, they found him pinched between his Jeep and a concrete column.

mnem
*blerk*
The upshot of it all was that his Jeep was the subject of a recall for a fault of the transmission, that when put into "Park" with the engine running, could still roll away if the handbrake was properly applied. Not very good publicity for Jeep that incident either.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68869 on: September 07, 2020, 05:04:58 pm »
@bd139, those Hamegs are good scopes but I have never seen one where the handle cleaned very well, they always look grubby while the rest cleans up nicely, good job there.
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68870 on: September 07, 2020, 05:18:05 pm »
@bd139, those Hamegs are good scopes but I have never seen one where the handle cleaned very well, they always look grubby while the rest cleans up nicely, good job there.

Yeah I like 'em to be honest. The handle on the 605 I haven't attacked yet. The other one I got is cleaner out of box but dirtier after being cleaned  :(

Getting a pile going now  :palm:

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, med6753, Kosmic

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68871 on: September 07, 2020, 05:33:20 pm »
did some long walk today including about 4 km through sand. Tired as hell.

Mmmmhmmm... so what was on the other end of the walk...? Something Nakamichi...?  :-DD

mnem
 :popcorn:

Did you effing have to jinx it ? I just had to bid for a high end Nakamichi Power Amp.

Yooooooou're wellllllllllll-commmmmmme! :-DD

mnem
 >:D

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #68872 on: September 07, 2020, 07:27:36 pm »
I'd be terrified of being that low down and low visibility on roads where there were any powered vehicles other than motorbikes around.

A man I've often seen along my usual commute has, I assume,  a medical condition which has him unable to use his legs. He's got a low trike which is hand-cranked. It's got a fibreglass rod with a significant flag on, just because of this. Still, not a wonderful solution.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68873 on: September 07, 2020, 07:33:42 pm »
the big question is: where do you leave it when it is not in use.
Leave it outside: it'll get stolen. Lug it inside ? well, 4 flights of stairs, and these buggers are heavy and bulky, so you cannot maneuver them around the corner or get them into the apartment.

Plus: pay shitloads of rent to store your bicycle ? no, not really.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68874 on: September 07, 2020, 07:49:26 pm »
another packaging idiots R us:

I bought a 105 mm macro lens Sigma 105 mm F 2.8 EX DG OS HSM for a reasonable price (160€).
The seller loosely wrapped the lens in kitchen paper towels and put it into the shipping container. Wapped in paper towels ONLY.  A fucking high price macro lense.

Bloody hell. Why do people have to be stoopeed assholes ???

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf