Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 15248733 times)

K0ELB, tggzzz and 36 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #72250 on: October 15, 2020, 03:13:32 pm »
Ah at least you have a nice TO220 heatsink now  :-DD

Didn't you mean TO-126?  ;)

Hahaha well played.

I just did something massive, impulsive and probably stupid which I'm probably going to regret next week (not TE related) :-DD

You can't leave us hanging like that. What kind of jackassery are you up to?  :o
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72251 on: October 15, 2020, 03:27:47 pm »

He tells all the PNP transistors that he's a TO-3(P).  :)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: shakalnokturn

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72252 on: October 15, 2020, 03:27:59 pm »
I have to correct myself. Found this one from a reputable source:

Damar & Hagen

Looks like I was mistaken. There are 75 Ohm N-connectors around. Something learnt today.

Yes there are 75R N types and C types. Some of the digger Greenpar inter-series connector kits have them and even the little threaded couplers are 75R with smaller center contacts. The insulation on the Greenpar inter-series 75R connectors is red for easy identification. They also did  two types of 50-75R couplers a mechanical one with different sized contacts for "don't cae other than not buggering the connector/ having poor contact) and a proper 50-75R minimum loss pad. I have both types.  I've never seen a 75R TNC though.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72253 on: October 15, 2020, 03:32:37 pm »

Hahaha well played.

I just did something massive, impulsive and probably stupid which I'm probably going to regret next week (not TE related) :-DD

• Put a deposit on a Country Pile?
  • Asked a redhead for her phone number?
  • Told one of your daughters that she can have a pony for Christmas (and the moon on a stick)?
  • Ordered Lycra cycling clothes?
  • Ordered a new red convertible?
  • Signed up for Triathlon?

Offline shakalnokturn

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72254 on: October 15, 2020, 03:50:14 pm »
...went on evil bay once more...

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #72255 on: October 15, 2020, 03:56:53 pm »
Did the kessel run in 12 parsec ? :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #72256 on: October 15, 2020, 05:22:49 pm »
6206B update:

Apparently the neon is supposed to light up when power is applied. This one doesn't. New hole-compatbile one in Mouser shopping cart, together with the full complement of capacitors for a Fluke 8060, and a 100W resistor.

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72257 on: October 15, 2020, 05:30:38 pm »
Never saw this one, listed in a non-TE category.  |O

David
Do you have a serial number for the device?
I have one which I can't repair because the available manuals do not cover the modifications adequately. As with some other power supplies from HP of this period, the checkout and calibration procedures contain some dis-connections which are totally a PITA when you can't find the point where it should be done.
Photograph with open lid would be sufficient for identification. Will you get a manual with it?

I think this was lost in translation, I didn't see the listing until two days after it had ended & sold to someone else, BD had seen it but decided not to bid. Just to be clear I do not have any HP/Harrison current sources at the moment or manuals for them.
I think it should have been listed under adjustable power supplies in the TE categories, not the SMPS under general electrical stuff categorises.

I'm not surprized you are having trouble with the PSU manuals, the Harrison division manuals I do have aren't as helpful as the others with backdating changes.

David
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 05:32:58 pm by factory »

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #72258 on: October 15, 2020, 05:37:23 pm »
Hahaha well played.

Did you set a bear trap to catch pikeys?

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #72259 on: October 15, 2020, 05:48:20 pm »
I just saved a Model 7 Avometer from becoming a lamp foot.

Cheaply, too.

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72260 on: October 15, 2020, 05:48:49 pm »
6206B update:

Apparently the neon is supposed to light up when power is applied. This one doesn't. New hole-compatbile one in Mouser shopping cart, together with the full complement of capacitors for a Fluke 8060, and a 100W resistor.

Can you not just remove the old neon lamp from the plastic housing and put a new one in? I've done this with the filament lamp versions before.

David

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72261 on: October 15, 2020, 05:51:54 pm »
I think this was lost in translation, I didn't see the listing until two days after it had ended & sold to someone else, BD had seen it but decided not to bid. Just to be clear I do not have any HP/Harrison current sources at the moment or manuals for them.
I think it should have been listed under adjustable power supplies in the TE categories, not the SMPS under general electrical stuff categorises.

I'm not surprized you are having trouble with the PSU manuals, the Harrison division manuals I do have aren't as helpful as the others with backdating changes.

David

I have three saved searches (giving this away):

1. Business Office Industrial -> Test Measurement and Inspection -> "hewlett packard" (UK only, used/spares/refurbished etc, newly listed first) ... saved as "HP1"

2. Business Office Industrial -> Electrical Equipment and supplies -> "hewlett packard" (UK only, used/spares/refurbished etc, newly listed first) ... saved as "HP2"

3. Mobile Phones and Communication-> Radio comms equipment -> "hewlett packard" (UK only, used/spares/refurbished etc, newly listed first) ... saved as "HP3"

Power supplies usually turn up in the second category and the first one is large enough to cover most. Occasionally stupidly cheaply listed stuff appears in the third one.

Re: doing stupid things. If someone prevents you moving forwards, back, left and right and the ground is made of shit up to your waist, the only solution is to sprout wings, fly off and leave your finest deposit of guano in the eyes of the morons who created the mire. Thus I've got some free time coming up in 3 months  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, URI

Offline shakalnokturn

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72262 on: October 15, 2020, 06:01:31 pm »
Unemployment or more TEA time? Enjoy it...

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72263 on: October 15, 2020, 06:04:49 pm »
Unknown yet. Haven't decided. Going to get smashed on sat night and work it out while whining on discord probably  :-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #72264 on: October 15, 2020, 06:06:26 pm »
...I just did something massive, impulsive and probably stupid which I'm probably going to regret next week (not TE related) :-DD

Me too. I am currently attempting to migrate to a new Android pwn. I already regret the decision.  :-DD

mnem
Because 3DP wasn't enough misery.  :o
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #72265 on: October 15, 2020, 06:06:56 pm »

Re: doing stupid things. If someone prevents you moving forwards, back, left and right and the ground is made of shit up to your waist, the only solution is to sprout wings, fly off and leave your finest deposit of guano in the eyes of the morons who created the mire. Thus I've got some free time coming up in 3 months  :-DD

You quit or got fired. One or the other.

I had my money on asking a redhead for her phone number and this was the result.  :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72266 on: October 15, 2020, 06:09:14 pm »
...I just did something massive, impulsive and probably stupid which I'm probably going to regret next week (not TE related) :-DD

Me too. I am currently attempting to migrate to a new Android pwn. I already regret the decision.  :-DD

mnem

Ah fuck that. That's more painful than 3DP. I learned that lesson once trying to get Cyanogen working on something Motorola. Actually found a box of phones in the cupboard the other day. There was a Moto G in there. In the fucking bin!

You quit or got fired. One or the other.

I had my money on asking a redhead for her phone number and this was the result.  :-DD

To be fair I spent a week trying to get fired so I didn't have to work my notice but it didn't work  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72267 on: October 15, 2020, 06:15:12 pm »
In other news... there is a b-day in the house; my 1st officially becomes a teenager today, as opposed to just acting like one for the last 3 years.  :-DD

Ah you're fucked now then  :-DD

Agreed...condolences. Before you know it he'll want his learner's permit/license and bye-bye insurance discounts. And he'll be bringing home those same inconvenient females as you did with the pink hair and pierced belly buttons.  :P :-DD   

Meant to post this earlier but was up to my eyes...

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72268 on: October 15, 2020, 06:20:08 pm »
I just saved a Model 7 Avometer from becoming a lamp foot.

Sounds like one of those Northern diseases you get from "workin' down t'mine".

Scene: a Northern Alehouse

Obidiah: "Where's Seth?"
Jethro: "At 'ome, 'e's come down wi' Lamp Foot"
Obidiah: "Ohh, nasty.   Pint?"
Jethro: "Aye. Same again thanks."

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72269 on: October 15, 2020, 06:21:25 pm »
Ah yes... up here:

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #72270 on: October 15, 2020, 06:44:55 pm »
Don't make me set me whippets on ye!

nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72271 on: October 15, 2020, 06:58:27 pm »

David

I have three saved searches (giving this away):

1. Business Office Industrial -> Test Measurement and Inspection -> "hewlett packard" (UK only, used/spares/refurbished etc, newly listed first) ... saved as "HP1"

2. Business Office Industrial -> Electrical Equipment and supplies -> "hewlett packard" (UK only, used/spares/refurbished etc, newly listed first) ... saved as "HP2"

3. Mobile Phones and Communication-> Radio comms equipment -> "hewlett packard" (UK only, used/spares/refurbished etc, newly listed first) ... saved as "HP3"

Power supplies usually turn up in the second category and the first one is large enough to cover most. Occasionally stupidly cheaply listed stuff appears in the third one.

Ah yes it's a right mess on ePay, I was aware of 1 & 3, but didn't notice 2.
Others I do look at are;
4. Collectables > Radio, Television & Telephony
5. Sound & Vision > Vintage Sound & Vision
And very rarely under vintage computers.

I occasionally do the same searches on ePay.de and I look for certain items by product type or number in the US.

David
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 07:01:00 pm by factory »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139, Ero-Shan

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #72272 on: October 15, 2020, 07:18:17 pm »
6206B update:

Can you not just remove the old neon lamp from the plastic housing and put a new one in? I've done this with the filament lamp versions before.

David

That is a clever idea! I did toy with it a bit earlier today. It does require digging into the plastic housing a bit, and I did not have the tools right there to do that, but it is possible, if one wants the authentic look.

I must confess that I think of the mods and repairs done to test equipment, if and only if they're done to meet or exceed original specification, and are somewhat in style, as interesting traces of a life spent being useful and cared for.  Thus, I think that fitting new parts that meet requirements is sort of caring about continous relevance.

Further, the neon, specifically, is a safety part, since it carries  (half of if running off 230V) mains voltage. It is not always wise to maintain "vintage" for safety parts. In this case it's probably OK, if one can get the housing separated from the neon without cracking it.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #72273 on: October 15, 2020, 07:28:09 pm »

mnem

Me, I'm trying to find a sensible image to run on my 7206VXR. The present one, which is of the Enterprise Services variety, crashes perhaps once a month, and from time to time runs out of steam in NATting. Have put a slimmer "Service Provider" image on. It's sort of scary, because the memory card isn't big enough for two images. Next time it crashes, though, it'll come up on the SP image. I hope.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72274 on: October 15, 2020, 08:10:00 pm »

mnem

Me, I'm trying to find a sensible image to run on my 7206VXR. The present one, which is of the Enterprise Services variety, crashes perhaps once a month, and from time to time runs out of steam in NATting. Have put a slimmer "Service Provider" image on. It's sort of scary, because the memory card isn't big enough for two images. Next time it crashes, though, it'll come up on the SP image. I hope.

I've never done it on a 7206VXR but I've gone this on other Ciscos where I needed to mess about with multiple images and/or didn't have room in the FLASH. Put a slim image in the FLASH, something that's just enough to boot from and maintain the connectivity you need. Then put tftp boot commands into your config to boot tftp from the 'too big' image from a TFTP server. Slow, but it works, for some value of 'works'.

Something like this (from an old config file that was lying around):

Code: [Select]
version 12.4
service timestamps debug datetime msec
service timestamps log datetime msec
no service password-encryption
service internal
!
hostname c2651
!
boot-start-marker
boot system tftp ios/c2600-advipservicesk9-mz.124-9.T7.bin 192.168.1.1
boot system tftp ios/c2600-adventerprisek9-mz.124-23.bin 192.168.1.1
boot system rom
boot-end-marker

There's a fall-though if the first named doesn't boot, etc. etc. Obviously add the rest of your config to taste, that's just an extract with some context.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 08:13:19 pm by Cerebus »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf