Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 15288923 times)

K0ELB, doktor pyta and 34 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #79075 on: January 07, 2021, 05:39:51 pm »
And on topic ....
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-general-electronics/ottawa/vintage-electronics-test-equipment/1544575790

What do you think of this lot?  Many of the items I am not familiar with.
The HP 5233L is definitely interesting to me.
A Stark LSG-IOA is interesting if just for the reference to Iron Man ...  :-DD
A Tek 475A could be an interesting, but not needed, addition.
A variac may or may not be something of interest in future.

For sure, I do not have a good idea of what a reasonable offer is for the whole lot.
The seller has been asked about what is known about the items and if they are known to be working or not.
I could do the local pickup.  Are mnem or 25_CPS or any other canucks interesting in sharing some of the lot?

I was interested... but it appears someone beat us to it; the listing is vapor.  :-\

mnem
grr.

Wanker .... they removed the ad and re-posted here:
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-general-electronics/ottawa/vintage-electronics-test-equipment/1544878623

In case they muck with it again:

1. Keithley Instruments 610B Electrometer
2. EICO Oscilloscope Model 460
3. EICO Peak to Peak VTVM Model 232
4. Heathkit RF Signal Generator Model IG-1025
5. Klystron Power Supply
6. DMI Frequency Counter Model D-1200
7. Stark Signal Generator Model LAG-55
8. Stark Signal Generator Model LSG-IOA -- SOLD
9. Heathkit Oscilloscope Calibrator IG-4505
10. 5 amp variac
11. Something ??
12. Heathkit Oscilloscope Model IO-4540
13. Fluke something
14. HP (Hewlett-Packard) Multi-Function Meter 3450A
15. HP (Hewlett-Packard) Electronic Counter 5233L
16. Tektronix Analog Oscilloscope 475A -- SOLD
17. Voltmeter / Ohmmeter
18. Something ??
19. Something ??
20. ArcherKit Voltmeter / Ohmmeter
21. Voltmeter / Ohmmeter
22. Beseler PM2 Color Analyzer
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 05:44:43 pm by cyclin_al »

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #79076 on: January 07, 2021, 06:06:05 pm »
Finally almost done with the supply for the vaccination station, tomorrow should see us gone and I'll not be sorry.
It's been a horrid week, out in the freezing cold, wrestling armoured cables to boards through the mud and over ice-covered tarmac. Helluva job to have to do our first week back.

Here's the mains panel we're connecting into, an old Dorman Death panel:

You can't quite see the ends of those single core lead sheathed tails, they're 270mm2 or so. I didn't want to see them either, as they are live and direct to the 11kV, ~1MVA trafo in the next room.

Oooh look though, a big crane!
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139, factory

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #79077 on: January 07, 2021, 06:14:36 pm »
Wanker... they removed the ad and re-posted here:   https://www.kijiji.ca/v-general-electronics/ottawa/vintage-electronics-test-equipment/1544878623
That EICO 460 calls to me across the misty river of time... as does the Keithley 610b. I think I'm fortunate I live in a postage-stamp-sized duplex right now. :-DD

Let me know on the DMI D-1200... that I might be able to cram in a corner somewhere. ;)

mnem
 :-/O
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79078 on: January 07, 2021, 06:34:46 pm »
Meanwhile, in other news, and no not USA politics, COVID-19 or Brexit, I have rescued the bread maker element. I decided that I'd give it another go seeing as its only been used about 4 times it's bleeding life since new. I gave it the same treatment I gave to the Avo 8 switch contact rings, popped it into an oven set to 180 degrees and left it there for 5 hours. The oven is an electric fan assisted so there was zero chance of introducing and further moisture to it from a gas flame. Nearly 4 hours later I have just tested it again with my insulation tester it reads >2.2Gohms @1032V so that a good result.

Now to rebuild the machine again and put it back to work again. Made a 2lb French loaf in the other one today, and it's turned out absolutely gorgeous, nothing beats the smell or flavour of fresh baked hot bread, dripping in butter, washed down by a fresh cup of coffee.  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, med6753, mnementh, factory, Kosmic, AVGresponding

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79079 on: January 07, 2021, 07:02:15 pm »
am very happy with my new pulse generator.  (ok....thats not what hp called it)

according to the manual it produces pulses less than 100 ps wide.

of course my poor old 400 Mhz scope displays them as much wider.  but still with enough resolution to measure the extra delay from the reflection when adding a barrel connector to the end of 4 ft of unterminated rg8 minifoam cable.

my poor old 54502 says that the pulses are 25-50 mV.  guess they would look a lot taller with a higher bandwidth scope.

was afraid that it might arrive with a dead step recovery diode.....but nope.......winner winner chicken dinner. 

« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 07:19:51 pm by nixiefreqq »
free range primate

The following users thanked this post: Brumby, Cubdriver, BU508A, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, factory, Kosmic

Offline SoundTech-LG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #79080 on: January 07, 2021, 07:03:14 pm »
Wanker... they removed the ad and re-posted here:   https://www.kijiji.ca/v-general-electronics/ottawa/vintage-electronics-test-equipment/1544878623
That EICO 460 calls to me across the misty river of time... as does the Keithley 610b. I think I'm fortunate I live in a postage-stamp-sized duplex right now. :-DD

Let me know on the DMI D-1200... that I might be able to cram in a corner somewhere. ;)

mnem

Yeah, I actually bought one of these 460 beasts...  now what???

Offline Calambres

• Frequent Contributor
    • Piso-Tones
« Reply #79081 on: January 07, 2021, 07:37:53 pm »
Just got an old Precise 111 Tube Tester:

It was driving me nuts because the FUSE lamp glows full tilt when I adjust the LINE to the correct level. That is supposed to be an indication that there's some short somewhere. It glows even with no tubes in any socket. I checked all wiring (a real nightmare!) and all is fine. I also recapped. Then I noticed that the FUSE bulb is not what it was supposed to be. The correct bulb is a GE-81 (6.5V 1.02A) but what's in there is as GE-67 (13.5V, 0.59A) instead. Nearly half the mA...

I've ordered a proper GE-81 bulb. Hope that's all what's wrong.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 07:39:42 pm by Calambres »

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, mnementh, AVGresponding

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #79082 on: January 07, 2021, 08:10:06 pm »
My KSGER T12 OLED controller based isolated soldering station is finally finished.

What has happened:

What did I change?
  • remove R10 to stop bleeding the RTC backup battery
  • cut free the connection of the irons tip on the PCB
  • connected incremental encoder housing and tip connection by wire
  • added a 4mm jack and connected it to the iron tip connection
  • scraped away the anodisation of the front plate where encoder and iron connector are screwed to the front plate: tip, plug/connector and front plate are now connected but isolated and can be connected through the 4mm jack in the front. E.g. to earth or to an ESD terminal. I claim my soldering station ESD compatible now.  :)
  • added four rubber feet. My station is now absolutely stationary when operated by pushing the knob.  :-+

I'm quite happy with the outcome. The design flaws of the controller board were relatively easy to correct.

I might show more details in an own thread for this...
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, Kosmic

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79083 on: January 07, 2021, 08:13:27 pm »
And on topic ....
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-general-electronics/ottawa/vintage-electronics-test-equipment/1544575790

What do you think of this lot?  Many of the items I am not familiar with.
The HP 5233L is definitely interesting to me.
A Stark LSG-IOA is interesting if just for the reference to Iron Man ...  :-DD
A Tek 475A could be an interesting, but not needed, addition.
A variac may or may not be something of interest in future.

For sure, I do not have a good idea of what a reasonable offer is for the whole lot.
The seller has been asked about what is known about the items and if they are known to be working or not.
I could do the local pickup.  Are mnem or 25_CPS or any other canucks interesting in sharing some of the lot?

I was interested... but it appears someone beat us to it; the listing is vapor.  :-\

mnem
grr.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-general-electronics/ottawa/vintage-electronics-test-equipment/1544878623

5. Klystron Power Supply
10. 5 amp variac
11. Something ??
13. Fluke something
17. Voltmeter / Ohmmeter
18. Something ??
19. Something ??
21. Voltmeter / Ohmmeter

There seems to be another HP counter (5326 or 5327 series?) in the pictures, I'm still looking for a 5233L & 3450A/B for my collection. Is that a stack of manuals next to the Keithley 610B?

David

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #79084 on: January 07, 2021, 08:51:06 pm »

<snip for brevity>

5. Klystron Power Supply
10. 5 amp variac
11. Something ??
13. Fluke something
17. Voltmeter / Ohmmeter
18. Something ??
19. Something ??
21. Voltmeter / Ohmmeter

There seems to be another HP counter (5326 or 5327 series?) in the pictures, I'm still looking for a 5233L & 3450A/B for my collection. Is that a stack of manuals next to the Keithley 610B?

David

It's an HP 5326 or 27 'C' model.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79085 on: January 07, 2021, 09:04:23 pm »
Nice score; finding one with the caps still on the knobs.  :-+

Gonna find a replacement NE2 indicator, or epoxy the original back together...? I've done both.

mnem
Say, did you just break time here? Or is this NOT a comment on the post AFTER yours?

No, I posted right after David... then he tried to fix a fuxxored post, and wound up re-posting after me. By the time I realized it, others had replied to my post and his; so I decided to err on the side of discretion, and just backed slowly away from the KB... :-DD

mnem
Tonight when I chase the dragon
The water will change to Cherry Wine;
and silver will turn to gold.
Time out of mind...

I have had a suspicion that I've seen that happen a couple of times recently. I can't be certain or point to some specific examples.

Gnif said that he's had some problems with GlusterFS* and it's not beyond possibility that includes write order issues between replicas - it depends how SMF uses the underlying filesystem. Somehow I don't see SMF as the kind of software that someone's programmed reliable multiphase commit protocols into.  :)

* A distributed, replicating virtual filesystem.

Yes that was my fault, when I added the picture code into the post, I lost the last part of the text, but it still showed in the editor.  :-// I tried to correct it but failed & ended up copying the text into notepad, deleted the post & started again. Hence Mnem's reply was to the original deleted post.  :scared:

David

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #79086 on: January 07, 2021, 09:17:21 pm »
Whooops, bought the last MASTECH MS8911 offered... 74 sold now.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/283341251476

Zero left at the moment. ...curious... when will the next last one appear..?   :-DD

edit: Hmm. Seems automated: Just before I paid I reloaded the page: 74 sold, 0 left. Directly after I had paid I reloaded the page again: 74 sold, 1 left.  :o
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 09:22:27 pm by URI »
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #79087 on: January 07, 2021, 09:22:49 pm »
Any interest in an experience report regarding repurposing that fpga mining board ?

Yes, very. >:D

Did you get one of those SQRRL FPGA mining boards that was reviewed as "literally the worst crypto-mining product ever released"...?

mnem

I know that BD hates squirrels.

Have a look.
1147092-0

It lacks the usual connectors which means that it is only usable as an accelerator card.
Next step: check if Vivado sees it.
The card should be pretty usable, it has a virtex ultrascape with 8GB of HBM2 mem on it.
With a bit of luck this should more or less look like an Alveo.

We'll see. If things go awry I burned 650 quid ...
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 09:29:16 pm by Saskia »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79088 on: January 07, 2021, 09:50:22 pm »
Just got an old Precise 111 Tube Tester:

It was driving me nuts because the FUSE lamp glows full tilt when I adjust the LINE to the correct level. That is supposed to be an indication that there's some short somewhere. It glows even with no tubes in any socket. I checked all wiring (a real nightmare!) and all is fine. I also recapped. Then I noticed that the FUSE bulb is not what it was supposed to be. The correct bulb is a GE-81 (6.5V 1.02A) but what's in there is as GE-67 (13.5V, 0.59A) instead. Nearly half the mA...

I've ordered a proper GE-81 bulb. Hope that's all what's wrong.

An Ex MOD AVO portable valve tester sold for £700 hammer price at the Skegness auction. Thats £966 by the time you add fees and VAT  :-//

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79089 on: January 07, 2021, 10:01:26 pm »
Two days ago there was another 6237B in the bay. It was sold for 85 Euro.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/1-St-HP-6237B-3-fach-Netzteil-0-18V-1A-0-20v-0-5A-Geraet-funkt-R-2-/133620390924

That seemed pricey, missing a proper terminal post, worse damage to the meter frame (probably won't survive posting). No power indicator on that later model, wonder why?

Congratulations to a nice catch. And a clear, obvious repair.

6237 > 6236 > 6205 > other dual-rail PSUen.

My Uni-T UTP3075 is longing to get a dual-rail companion..

Definitely didn't want an exact replacement for that RIFA capacitor, the only RIFA's I keep are some high quality electrolytics, the paper suppressor capacitors belong in the garbage (even new ones).

I'm a bit surprized the HP 6237B didn't go for more considering all the knobs were complete.

I should have been clearer, it's the plastic housing that has disintegrated not the lamp, it's crazed with cracks all over so I decided against gluing it and fitted a used spare instead, the part number is 2910S17 (replacement is 2910S21) with an external resistor.
Forgot to take a finished picture.  |O

David

Mouser 607-2150QA3 is a working replacement. The dome is not as frosted as the original, but in all other aspects the lamp and fitting is identical.  My 6206 has been fitted with one, with great success.

As to gluing, well, the neon carries half the mains voltage here in Europe, and all of it in Northern America. I am not very comfortable with harnessing such potential in cracked and glued aged plastics. (I do not object to the fitting of a in-spec NOS or used part, to be clear.)

The quoted part is clearly the successor to the -hp- fitted part and as such is the proper replacement for a piece of TE that continues to serve.

Looks like 607-2150QA4 would have the correct lens color but they don't have any stock, RS haven't got any either (better price than Mouser if I were to get 10 of them), but I do wonder if they would fit the 6237B as it's quite cramped underneath.

Finally took a picture of it complete, even came with some screw in feet (#6-32), a first for any Harrison/HP PSU's I've bought.  :-+

I've seen exactly the same mechanical failure on two similar era HP supplies. I think this can be raised to the level of "stock fault" for that generation.
I have some incandescent indicator bi-pin lamps which look the same from the front. You could wire them into the secondary and even gain with regard to scope of indication. They have a metal body and a opaque cap of the same form and they are from the US, but I can't give you the type right now.

You've reminded me I need a proper fix for the incandescent "output indicator" lamp in the 6920B, it was completely missing when I bought it, the one I bodged in is barely visible when lit.

David
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 10:03:34 pm by factory »

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #79090 on: January 07, 2021, 10:07:29 pm »
You've reminded me I need a proper fix for the incandescent "output indicator" lamp in the 6920B, it was completely missing when I bought it, the one I bodged in is barely visible when lit.

David

And you've reminded me that I bought a set of replacement caps for my 6209B some time last spring/summer, and have no idea where they've gotten off to...   :palm:

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: factory

Offline salvagedcircuitry

• Regular Contributor
  • Electrical Engineer | Hobbyist | Camera Enthusiast
    • salvagedcircuitry
« Reply #79091 on: January 07, 2021, 10:08:10 pm »
I can't believe someone still has an outdoor antenna fed with 300 ohm twinlead. That shit must be brittle as hell.  :o

Installed 1985, first serviced 2021. Not a bad run.
Mmm. Check out that delicious rust. I replaced the twin lead with a balun and 75ohm rg6 coax and I picked up 60 channels. Potting the balun in a hammomd box full of silicone.
No more cable tv nonsense for the folks. Less money to Mega Cable Co Inc., more to test equipment.  ^-^
Mo money, mo test equipment.  :-DD

« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 10:11:21 pm by salvagedcircuitry »
SalvagedCircuitry
www.salvagedcircuitry.com

The following users thanked this post: med6753

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79092 on: January 07, 2021, 10:29:53 pm »
Meanwhile, in other news, and no not USA politics, COVID-19 or Brexit, I have rescued the bread maker element. I decided that I'd give it another go seeing as its only been used about 4 times it's bleeding life since new. I gave it the same treatment I gave to the Avo 8 switch contact rings, popped it into an oven set to 180 degrees and left it there for 5 hours. The oven is an electric fan assisted so there was zero chance of introducing and further moisture to it from a gas flame. Nearly 4 hours later I have just tested it again with my insulation tester it reads >2.2Gohms @1032V so that a good result.

Now to rebuild the machine again and put it back to work again. Made a 2lb French loaf in the other one today, and it's turned out absolutely gorgeous, nothing beats the smell or flavour of fresh baked hot bread, dripping in butter, washed down by a fresh cup of coffee.  :-+

Toldja... what that hard case needed is a night... in the box.  >:D

mnem
"What we have heeyah... is a fail-ure to e-vap-o-rate...!!!"
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, nixiefreqq

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79093 on: January 07, 2021, 10:32:41 pm »

<snip for brevity>

5. Klystron Power Supply
10. 5 amp variac
11. Something ??
13. Fluke something
17. Voltmeter / Ohmmeter
18. Something ??
19. Something ??
21. Voltmeter / Ohmmeter

David

It's an HP 5326 or 27 'C' model.

-Pat

Just seen the other posts now I've had a chance to catch up.

Someone is asking £360 for a 5326B over here in the UK  :palm:.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254824918560
I'm sure the 5326B I got from Europe & 5327B from the US were much less than that for the pair.

I like how HP still called the 3450A with no AC or ohms options a "multi-function meter".  :-DD

David

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79094 on: January 07, 2021, 10:36:31 pm »

mnem

Yeah, I actually bought one of these 460 beasts...  now what???

LOL... don't ask me. It was my first scope, bought at a pawn shop in Newark, NY. (NOT Jersey, but it smelled as bad) Getting it running, I learnt a healthy respect for grid voltages with that little green-faced bitch, I tellya whutt.  :-DD

Didn't hurt muh feelins a bit to leave it behind in the Uni Student Lab at the time... but watching med resurrect his moldy oldies makes me miss hollow state again. ;)

mnem
that's okay... it'll pass. >:D

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79095 on: January 07, 2021, 11:30:56 pm »

mnem

just so ya' know.....someone got it.

and no one could eat 50 eggs.
free range primate

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 11:57:56 pm by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: nixiefreqq

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #79097 on: January 07, 2021, 11:56:55 pm »

mnem

Nope, I definitely did not get the joke.  Adding another movie to my list of things to watch...

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #79098 on: January 08, 2021, 12:04:11 am »

mnem

Nope, I definitely did not get the joke.  Adding another movie to my list of things to watch...

The movie is "Cool Hand Luke". Excellent movie.  :-+

An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79099 on: January 08, 2021, 12:05:47 am »

mnem

yes you should definitely watch it. 

"shakin' it here boss"
free range primate

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf