Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 15111712 times)

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #79100 on: January 08, 2021, 03:28:35 am »

<snip for brevity>

Wanker .... they removed the ad and re-posted here:
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-general-electronics/ottawa/vintage-electronics-test-equipment/1544878623

In case they muck with it again:

1. Keithley Instruments 610B Electrometer
2. EICO Oscilloscope Model 460
3. EICO Peak to Peak VTVM Model 232
4. Heathkit RF Signal Generator Model IG-1025
5. Klystron Power Supply
6. DMI Frequency Counter Model D-1200
7. Stark Signal Generator Model LAG-55
8. Stark Signal Generator Model LSG-IOA -- SOLD
9. Heathkit Oscilloscope Calibrator IG-4505
10. 5 amp variac
11. Something ??
12. Heathkit Oscilloscope Model IO-4540
13. Fluke something
14. HP (Hewlett-Packard) Multi-Function Meter 3450A
15. HP (Hewlett-Packard) Electronic Counter 5233L
16. Tektronix Analog Oscilloscope 475A -- SOLD
17. Voltmeter / Ohmmeter
18. Something ??
19. Something ??
20. ArcherKit Voltmeter / Ohmmeter
21. Voltmeter / Ohmmeter
22. Beseler PM2 Color Analyzer

There seems to be another HP counter (5326 or 5327 series?) in the pictures, I'm still looking for a 5233L & 3450A/B for my collection. Is that a stack of manuals next to the Keithley 610B?

David

It's an HP 5326 or 27 'C' model.

-Pat

Just seen the other posts now I've had a chance to catch up.

Someone is asking £360 for a 5326B over here in the UK  :palm:.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254824918560
I'm sure the 5326B I got from Europe & 5327B from the US were much less than that for the pair.

I like how HP still called the 3450A with no AC or ohms options a "multi-function meter".  :-DD

David

I have a 3450A tucked away.  It doesn't work but it is on the list of projects I want to get to but it's a little bit down from the top.  Anyways, mine's optioned the same way as this one as in there are no options and it has the same button legends:  NO AC.  NO OHMS.

What puzzles me is that they were bought like this, and this isn't the only one I've seen like that.  HP sold digital voltmeters when this was a current product that probably cost less than a base model 3450A so why pay extra for a multi function meter only to forego the additional functions?  I honestly thought that the majority of 3450s out there would have at least one or both options installed to make use of the ability to do more than what a regular DVM could since there's not much point in getting one of these only to use it as a regular DVM.  The one thoughts that come to mind are that maybe some of these were bought as the base model with the idea of purchasing the option boards later and retrofitting them, but was rarely followed through on.  But yes, the NO AC and NO OHMS on these really struck me as odd.

I forgot to mention, the 3450A is a deep piece of machinery.  The front to back length is immense.  Mine's stored sitting sideways in the cabinet it's in because of that.

And I have some good news:  The 34401A arrived yesterday.  I'm going to unpack it in the morning.  There unfortunately is still no sign of any movement on the TinySA or the NanoVNA S-A-A-2.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 03:31:50 am by 25 CPS »

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #79101 on: January 08, 2021, 03:39:37 am »
This blog costed me a big chunk of money, one room as Lab and a lot of time looking, reading and posting.
You bastards.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 02:34:10 pm by Zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #79102 on: January 08, 2021, 05:01:01 am »
Meanwhile, in other news, and no not USA politics, COVID-19 or Brexit, I have rescued the bread maker element. I decided that I'd give it another go seeing as its only been used about 4 times it's bleeding life since new. I gave it the same treatment I gave to the Avo 8 switch contact rings, popped it into an oven set to 180 degrees and left it there for 5 hours. The oven is an electric fan assisted so there was zero chance of introducing and further moisture to it from a gas flame. Nearly 4 hours later I have just tested it again with my insulation tester it reads >2.2Gohms @1032V so that a good result.

Now to rebuild the machine again and put it back to work again. Made a 2lb French loaf in the other one today, and it's turned out absolutely gorgeous, nothing beats the smell or flavour of fresh baked hot bread, dripping in butter, washed down by a fresh cup of coffee.  :-+

Toldja... what that hard case needed is a night... in the box.  >:D

mnem
"What we have heeyah... is a fail-ure to e-vap-o-rate...!!!"

just so ya' know.....someone got it.

and no one could eat 50 eggs.

Quote from: MOVIE: Cool Hand Luke
Why you got to go and say fifty eggs for? Why not thirty-five or thirty-nine?

I thought it was a nice round number.
>:D

All honesty... I'm amazed I didn't drown under a sea of soggy ol' boots, thrown from every corner of TEAnonymous... :-DD

In Other News:

Digitizer for my daughter's "new" iPud arrived today; only 17 days to travel from South Porcupine, ON... a 7 hour drive from my home.  :o

As I hoped; springing for a new digitizer greatly simplified the job, making it possible for even my klutzy old hamhands to successfully transfer the fingerprint sensor/home button over, and it did come with all the sealant tape preinstalled, so no additional outlay. Between the parts unit iPad 6 and the digitizer, cost me US$104 and the screen from her old one to get to this point. :-+

Okies... I think I've had enough joy for one day... Im'o toddle off to ded. ;)

mnem
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 05:07:24 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139, BILLPOD

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79103 on: January 08, 2021, 08:27:23 am »
<SNIP>

I have a 3450A tucked away.  It doesn't work but it is on the list of projects I want to get to but it's a little bit down from the top.  Anyways, mine's optioned the same way as this one as in there are no options and it has the same button legends:  NO AC.  NO OHMS.

What puzzles me is that they were bought like this, and this isn't the only one I've seen like that.  HP sold digital voltmeters when this was a current product that probably cost less than a base model 3450A so why pay extra for a multi function meter only to forego the additional functions?  I honestly thought that the majority of 3450s out there would have at least one or both options installed to make use of the ability to do more than what a regular DVM could since there's not much point in getting one of these only to use it as a regular DVM.  The one thoughts that come to mind are that maybe some of these were bought as the base model with the idea of purchasing the option boards later and retrofitting them, but was rarely followed through on.  But yes, the NO AC and NO OHMS on these really struck me as odd.

I forgot to mention, the 3450A is a deep piece of machinery.  The front to back length is immense.  Mine's stored sitting sideways in the cabinet it's in because of that.

And I have some good news:  The 34401A arrived yesterday.  I'm going to unpack it in the morning.  There unfortunately is still no sign of any movement on the TinySA or the NanoVNA S-A-A-2.
[/quote]

The DC only versions would typically be part of a dedicated test or calibration equipment set up (possibly automated). A clue is the rack ears. At higher accuracy AC and Ohms added significant circuitry and cost back then. There is also the life time cost of calibrating the extra functions every year or even 6 months. Why pay these costs when the task you are doing don't need the functionality? These were not intended as general purpose instruments.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #79104 on: January 08, 2021, 09:16:48 am »
Tek 485 scope on the bench. For some reason when I fixed the trigger issue on this guy early last year I completed the compensation of the 50 ohm path on both vertical channels but for some reason neglected to do the 1MEG path. So now went through the compensation procedure and both channels needed significant adjustment. That's not surprising because prior Gorillas have left their evidence of monkey business with numerous pencil notes on the scope frame indicating cable placement.

Anyway, took some tweaking but both channels are now looking good on both 50 ohm and 1MEG paths.  :-+

« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 09:30:03 am by med6753 »
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, Mortymore, FransW, Kosmic, DH7DN

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #79105 on: January 08, 2021, 09:27:50 am »
<SNIP>

The DC only versions would typically be part of a dedicated test or calibration equipment set up (possibly automated). A clue is the rack ears. At higher accuracy AC and Ohms added significant circuitry and cost back then. There is also the life time cost of calibrating the extra functions every year or even 6 months. Why pay these costs when the task you are doing don't need the functionality? These were not intended as general purpose instruments.

Yep. And I add: It was quite an impressive and accurate Voltmeter for the time (HP Journal March 1969 (PDF)):
  • peltier heating and cooling for temperature stabilisation of the temperature-sensitive components (wow!)
  • 5 1/2 digits (dual slope ADC)
  • 15 readings/s with an 0.008% accuracy of reading
  • >1010 ohms input impedance on 100mV, 1V and 10V range
  • multi-function is even true for the base model as it offers voltage ratio measurements

Price list:
HP 3450A (includes DC and DC RATIO) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $3150
HP H50-3450A, optimum noise rejection . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $3210
     for 50 Hz line frequency
Option 01 AC Converter . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $1250
(adds AC, AC RATIO)
Option 02 OHMS Converter . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $400
(adds OHMS, OHMS RATIO)
Option 03 LIMIT TEST . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $350
(adds Limit Test capability)
Option 04 DIGITAL OUTPUT . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $175
(adds BCD output, 1-2-4-8 code)
Option 05 REMOTE CONTROL . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $225
(adds Remote Control capability)
Option 06 REAR INPUT TERMINALS . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $50
(adds Front/rear selector switch and isolated
rear terminals)
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #79106 on: January 08, 2021, 10:06:38 am »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Saskia

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #79107 on: January 08, 2021, 10:35:41 am »
Approx $245 USD is not a bad price as long as it has a clean boot.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #79108 on: January 08, 2021, 11:17:46 am »
In spite of some far less than stellar packaging the Fluke arrived unharmed  :palm: I was dreading mega crustiness but it seems to have never had batteries fitted  :-+

Now for the bad bit seems to be stuck regardless of press buttons reading 1999 with the decimal point changing with the range selected. To tired to read the manual tonight if anyone knows of a likely cause feel free  :)

Other than that fairly clean and tidy on the outside.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: salvagedcircuitry

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #79109 on: January 08, 2021, 11:19:10 am »
sumthang tea related ...

bought a couple of Keysight DSOX2000 spares including a 4chan front panel (Display, front panel incl. knobs, ..., PSU) for 110 plus postage.
I remember there was a project to rewire the 2 channel DSOX2000 to 4channel. After having seen those spares the issue got a lot more tempting.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, salvagedcircuitry

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79110 on: January 08, 2021, 11:26:07 am »
For any of the UK crew who are / were thinking about doing your own haircuts, here is a heads up, that appeared in my inbox this morning, need to move fast because I doubt that they will be available for much longer. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07KCRSMMJ?ref=em_1p_0_ti&ref_=pe_2443691_559005261

On another note, regarding my post a couple of weeks ago regarding the Hantek handheld 3 in 1 scope meter that I had sourced on Shpock, even though I had my doubts about the seller, well I have had a full refund from Shpock because of the total lack of response from the seller. So it seems reading through the T&C if the seller lists an item with a BIN price and also offers postage upfront costs and buyer protection, then you are fully covered against fraud / damage as Shpock take your payment on hold it. Once you receive the item(s) you notify them if everything is OK and then and only then, will they release you payment to the seller. Previously, the seller would have got away it, so it looks as if your safe to explore Shpock  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #79111 on: January 08, 2021, 12:15:06 pm »
In spite of some far less than stellar packaging the Fluke arrived unharmed  :palm: I was dreading mega crustiness but it seems to have never had batteries fitted  :-+

Now for the bad bit seems to be stuck regardless of press buttons reading 1999 with the decimal point changing with the range selected. To tired to read the manual tonight if anyone knows of a likely cause feel free  :)

It should flash 1999 on Ohms only. All the other ranges zero...or near zero.

Sounds like dirty function switches.

Oops...almost forgot...it will flash 1999 in an over range condition too.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 12:22:38 pm by med6753 »

The following users thanked this post: beanflying

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79112 on: January 08, 2021, 12:30:13 pm »
I picked up a Racal Dana 9917A (non-working) with Ovenised standard for €20. Hoping to get it working again, but just for the OCXO it was worth the €20 (assuming that's not what's broken).

McBryce.

30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: factory

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79113 on: January 08, 2021, 12:55:14 pm »

Ugh that may be toast. This is a well known symptom of the analogue IC being bust. The 5V rail runs comedically high voltage as it's actually unregulated and was made in days when the mains voltage was a lot lower so it can burn out the unobtainium ASICs. Check the power supply voltages first on mains power. Watch out because live mains runs the entire board so be damn careful. Then check the clock is running at C14. Should be a 220nF film cap which controls the integrator time constant. if the voltages are ok then clean the switches and check all the tants for shorts if they bothered to fit them in yours.

Really not a fan of the 8000A if I'm honest. It's either that or the display board burns up  >:(
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 12:57:01 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: beanflying

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79114 on: January 08, 2021, 12:56:02 pm »
For any of the UK crew who are / were thinking about doing your own haircuts, here is a heads up, that appeared in my inbox this morning, need to move fast because I doubt that they will be available for much longer. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07KCRSMMJ?ref=em_1p_0_ti&ref_=pe_2443691_559005261

On another note, regarding my post a couple of weeks ago regarding the Hantek handheld 3 in 1 scope meter that I had sourced on Shpock, even though I had my doubts about the seller, well I have had a full refund from Shpock because of the total lack of response from the seller. So it seems reading through the T&C if the seller lists an item with a BIN price and also offers postage upfront costs and buyer protection, then you are fully covered against fraud / damage as Shpock take your payment on hold it. Once you receive the item(s) you notify them if everything is OK and then and only then, will they release you payment to the seller. Previously, the seller would have got away it, so it looks as if your safe to explore Shpock  :-+

Sold - thank you :)

Good news with Shpock. Definitely interested in getting out of the ebay monopoly at the moment.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79115 on: January 08, 2021, 01:30:21 pm »
@bd139, Your welcome.

The thing with Shpock is that you have to remember though that a lot of the sellers on it are even denser than the eBay ones. Yes you get some stupidly crazy prices on eBay, but some of them on Shpock are even worse. Many refuse to consider posting and likewise most don't have a clue about packing something for a safe journey, and you need patience because there is very little TEA on there.  |O
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #79116 on: January 08, 2021, 01:45:57 pm »
Hmmpfff...

Remember that battery cemetery from some time ago? Cleaned it up, replaced some of the terminals. Everything works now but some of the values are 10-20% off  :palm:

Guessing some battery intestins made it inside the unit and are screwing up the measurement. Will have to investigate further...

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #79117 on: January 08, 2021, 01:57:03 pm »
sumthang tea related ...

bought a couple of Keysight DSOX2000 spares including a 4chan front panel (Display, front panel incl. knobs, ..., PSU) for 110 plus postage.
I remember there was a project to rewire the 2 channel DSOX2000 to 4channel. After having seen those spares the issue got a lot more tempting.
Those parts are usually rather expensive. Nice score!

The following users thanked this post: Saskia

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79118 on: January 08, 2021, 02:29:19 pm »
Hmmpfff...

Remember that battery cemetery from some time ago? Cleaned it up, replaced some of the terminals. Everything works now but some of the values are 10-20% off  :palm:

Guessing some battery intestins made it inside the unit and are screwing up the measurement. Will have to investigate further...

Just keep giving the PCB some serious scrubbing with 70% IPA. I had similar problems with the Black Star 4503 meter when I first got it. Although I had scrubbed it looked to be spotless, I set about tracking what I thought a dodgy part. Everything I could check, checked OK. I even spent money on some new IC's that I thought might be the problem, nope nothing worked. One or two on here said that the PCB needed cleaning because of the very high input impedance, the tiniest hint of residue on the board would affect it. So off I went again and again cleaning the board with a toothbrush and IPA, but it did the job.

That meter is now my favourite bench meter, so that's what I recommend, as many cleans as it takes, unless of course you spot something obvious.
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: Ice-Tea

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79119 on: January 08, 2021, 02:33:48 pm »
The thing with Shpock is that you have to remember though that a lot of the sellers on it are even denser than the eBay ones.

That's not surprising given the tenor of their recent UK TV ad campaign.  :)

For those without the delights of UK TV adverts: Man gets Shpock app. Man starts selling everything because it's so easy. Girlfriend/wife comes home to find flat empty, man left with only his underpants holding the cat up in front of his phone to take picture to post cat on Shpock. So their target demographic seems to be idiots who are so stupid that they set themselves up to have their one remaining item of clothing shredded by the cat while their girlfriend/wife, quite rightly, kicks them around a, now empty, apartment.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: PA0PBZ, mnementh

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #79120 on: January 08, 2021, 02:36:49 pm »
Maybe this is intended to be funny?  :-//
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #79121 on: January 08, 2021, 02:38:11 pm »
Dschermanns haff noh hummoah.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79122 on: January 08, 2021, 02:46:50 pm »
Maybe this is intended to be funny?  :-//

Have you not heard the English phrase "Many a true word is said in jest"? I'm sure they're trying to be humorous but that doesn't exclude the possibility that their target demographic really is idiots.  :)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79123 on: January 08, 2021, 03:25:28 pm »
Idiots is gumtree territory. Want a couch that smells of piss or a nicked laptop? Come to Gumtree!

I only say this as I bought a wardrobe from Gumtree once for £5. This turned out to be him paying me £5 to extract it from his house and dispose of it while he looked on at the bargain as the council would have charged him £20 for the same privilege :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #79124 on: January 08, 2021, 03:30:25 pm »

There's this one too: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B086DMJCN3/

I like that it has ceramic blade & 4 combs, plus it has a swappable 18650 battery, and comes with a spare cell and a standalone 18650 charger, all for £19.99 £17.99 w/coupon code. These are probably "half-load" cells actually good for ~500mAH, but who cares at this price? :-// You get a 18650 charger good for other porpoises as well.  :-+

mnem
 :-/O
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf