Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 15543004 times)

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #82275 on: February 12, 2021, 11:34:20 am »
Stage 4 lockdown in Vic because we seem to have some Pommie Germ escape. But everything must be fine as the all important Tennis continues :palm:
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, factory

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #82276 on: February 12, 2021, 11:35:40 am »

So the "Radiation source" arrived from ebay seller Scotttrade12 today. The packing was c*%p in the bottom of  thin box with amothe old box crushed on top  :palm: Good job it's not a delicate optical instrument -not.
Anyway preditions were correct, it is an IR source with the output from the pointy end. First photo is with rubber armour removed. With the metal output tube removed you can see the output "window", photo 2. It looks like a random fibre opic bundle. Applying an external light source confirms this, photo 3. The electronics pull out of the back. Nothing special at all, Photo 4. The electro-optics are at the front a ring of 12 small emitters with filters wired as two lots of 6 plus an unfiltered photodiode in the middle, presumably feedback. The two sets of emitters might be different wavelengths. Photo 5. Trouble is the emitters are potted with hard compound into the black block of Delrin like plastic. Going to be hard to dig one out. The emitters and photodiode are coupled to 13 small fibre bundles. The fibre coupler mixes the 12 outputs in a random manner. Photo 6 with external illumination at the "output".
Interesting but not a lot of use.

Oh, I don't know. Could be quite a bit of fun, depending where you live.

Just wait for the next flight of whatevers to take off for exercises, and give them some unexpected excitement...

Hell NO
1/ It does not have the range (only  couple of metres
2/ It would only get a reaction from a military aircraft with a missile warning system
3/ As an aerospace professional they would (rightly) lock me up

NEVER direct any electromagnetic source at any aircraft!

Any?
Hams regularly use aircraft enhancement to increase VHF/ UHF range.

Aircraft used to fly across the path of Studio to Transmitter Links, causing "flutter" of the received pix & at worst, sync loss.

I did say "direct at" While amateurs might use "aircraft scatter"  but they don't, or at least should not target specfic aircraft. Typically aircraft scatter is used for beyond visual range communition implying that the aircraft is at some distance so field strengths are low. This is different to pointing a directional antenna at a nearby aircraft.

To continue the joke which fell flat, imagine the hilarity when upon pointing it at an aircraft carrying live ordnance due to being launched to intercept the latest Russian "training flight" or uncommunicative airliner, you find yourself the immediate target of an anti-missile missile...
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82277 on: February 12, 2021, 11:48:08 am »
Edit: anyone near Carlisle? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203276157425

Without lockdown that might have triggered a nice short holiday :(

Those Tek generators are tempting along with the SE Labs DVM, but unless the lockdown ends soon it's a non starter though, police are randomly stopping non-local vehicles here & issuing fines.
Plus my van really needs a proper service, don't think they did bugger all to it last year.

David
Police are using their ANPRS equipped cars to spot vehicles that are not locally registered. I don’t think that visiting family that are not local to you would be an acceptable excuse either. So if your vehicle is not registered in the area, you’re at a very high risk of being pulled over.

That shit would not fly here. The cops would have the ACLU up their arse in about 10 seconds. Having a license plate outside a "local area" is not reasonable cause to get pulled over. Besides, define "local area". How big is it? A road? A town? A county? State?  :bullshit:

ACLU = American Civil Liberties Union.
Normally this system is only used to detect known criminals or vehicles without Tax, Insurance or a current MOT certificate or even looking for stolen vehicles. The context that it is being used for now is to try and stop / slow the progress of the bloody virus. The system will show the normal address of where the vehicle is registered, in my case Chelmsford, Essex and clearly if my car was seen to be in say Norwich, Norfolk, 83 miles away and 2 counties, that would indicate that I'm not making an essential journey to get food / medicines which is what we are supposed to doing only during lockdown. In that case I believe it makes good sense as it assists in saving peoples lives.   :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82278 on: February 12, 2021, 12:02:45 pm »
Police are using their ANPRS equipped cars to spot vehicles that are not locally registered.

As I understand it that would be a breach of the police code of practice for use of ANPR which restricts its use to serious crime and untaxed and/or uninsured vehicles. Not that following codes of practice or even refraining from actively committing criminal offences has ever stopped the police doing whatever they feel like when it suits them. For instance, I personally know of a case where the Met said they couldn't use APNR to trace the perpetrators of a road rage incident that ended in a 'crimed' ABH assault because that crime didn't meet the level of 'seriousness' required under the code of practice before they could look at APNR records for the section of road in question, even in a narrow time window.
Normally I'd totally agree with this, however these are not normal times and with the governments emergency powers they have given themselves and in the fight to contain and beat this global pandemic, they will use the system and whatever else they can in their endeavour to stop the virus, particularly these new strains from getting footholds outside the regions where it already exists. This virus is as far as we currently know, only spreadable via human contact. If we can get people to abide by the rules, then it gives scientists more time to find solutions.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #82279 on: February 12, 2021, 12:06:57 pm »

So the "Radiation source" arrived from ebay seller Scotttrade12 today. The packing was c*%p in the bottom of  thin box with amothe old box crushed on top  :palm: Good job it's not a delicate optical instrument -not.
Anyway preditions were correct, it is an IR source with the output from the pointy end. First photo is with rubber armour removed. With the metal output tube removed you can see the output "window", photo 2. It looks like a random fibre opic bundle. Applying an external light source confirms this, photo 3. The electronics pull out of the back. Nothing special at all, Photo 4. The electro-optics are at the front a ring of 12 small emitters with filters wired as two lots of 6 plus an unfiltered photodiode in the middle, presumably feedback. The two sets of emitters might be different wavelengths. Photo 5. Trouble is the emitters are potted with hard compound into the black block of Delrin like plastic. Going to be hard to dig one out. The emitters and photodiode are coupled to 13 small fibre bundles. The fibre coupler mixes the 12 outputs in a random manner. Photo 6 with external illumination at the "output".
Interesting but not a lot of use.

Oh, I don't know. Could be quite a bit of fun, depending where you live.

Just wait for the next flight of whatevers to take off for exercises, and give them some unexpected excitement...

Hell NO
1/ It does not have the range (only  couple of metres
2/ It would only get a reaction from a military aircraft with a missile warning system
3/ As an aerospace professional they would (rightly) lock me up

NEVER direct any electromagnetic source at any aircraft!

Any?
Hams regularly use aircraft enhancement to increase VHF/ UHF range.

Aircraft used to fly across the path of Studio to Transmitter Links, causing "flutter" of the received pix & at worst, sync loss.

I did say "direct at" While amateurs might use "aircraft scatter"  but they don't, or at least should not target specfic aircraft. Typically aircraft scatter is used for beyond visual range communition implying that the aircraft is at some distance so field strengths are low. This is different to pointing a directional antenna at a nearby aircraft.

To continue the joke which fell flat, imagine the hilarity when upon pointing it at an aircraft carrying live ordnance due to being launched to intercept the latest Russian "training flight" or uncommunicative airliner, you find yourself the immediate target of an anti-missile missile...

Somebody I knew was out on the Fens playing with his shoulder-launched missile simulator, when a passerby recognised what it was and alerted the authorities. Fortunately he was able to prove that he was developing it for the MoD.

I simulated a missile launch against a car on the A45, while safely inside a building :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: bd139, AVGresponding

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82280 on: February 12, 2021, 12:12:34 pm »
Been invited to put offers on stuff for a local SK sale. Mixed :( and  :). Not much TE but dude was a hoarder.  Will see what I end up with. Have lowballed a couple of radios for resale, a box of valves and a completely unknown “Hameg scope”.

Ok that was a fail and a win. Someone else got the IC-7300 for £500 (  :scared: ) and the valves. The scope was 20Mhz, has no CRT in it and was very mouldy so I left it to be disposed of.

Did walk away with an “untested” FT-818 for £200 though which is pretty damn good. Looks ok. Missing all accessories other then internal battery and 2m ducky. Looks immaculate and appears to work! No filters in it or anything interesting.

Didn’t get nicked by the fuzz or stabbed in Feltham  :-DD
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 12:14:39 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Kosmic

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82282 on: February 12, 2021, 12:15:32 pm »
I have my eye on an XL microwave counter at the moment. 26.5GHz!  :-DD

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82283 on: February 12, 2021, 12:18:47 pm »

I once got thrown out of Currys for counting microwaves...

ba-dum-tss
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, bd139

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82284 on: February 12, 2021, 12:46:00 pm »
Didn’t get .... stabbed in Feltham  :-DD

I'd go back and complain! Surely the muggers can still offer that service even with the shutdown? It only requires local travel for them and doesn't involve large gatherings.

McBryce. 
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82285 on: February 12, 2021, 01:08:13 pm »
I think they are off day release at the moment  :o

ba-dum-tss

That's better than all the jokes I've been sent this week so far  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82286 on: February 12, 2021, 01:21:07 pm »
I think they are off day release at the moment  :o

ba-dum-tss

That's better than all the jokes I've been sent this week so far  :-DD

Wow, you've had a bad week then!
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82287 on: February 12, 2021, 01:23:33 pm »
Yep  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, AVGresponding

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82288 on: February 12, 2021, 01:34:31 pm »
Some counters for you to not buy bd:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Racal-Dana-1990-Series-Universal-Systems-Counter-Frequenzzahler-DEFEKT/233885214915

"Das Gerät riecht nach angebranntem Tantal-Kondensator."

I have a feeling that this counter will stink  :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82289 on: February 12, 2021, 01:48:58 pm »
Been invited to put offers on stuff for a local SK sale. Mixed :( and  :). Not much TE but dude was a hoarder.  Will see what I end up with. Have lowballed a couple of radios for resale, a box of valves and a completely unknown “Hameg scope”.

Ok that was a fail and a win. Someone else got the IC-7300 for £500 (  :scared: ) and the valves. The scope was 20Mhz, has no CRT in it and was very mouldy so I left it to be disposed of.

Did walk away with an “untested” FT-818 for £200 though which is pretty damn good. Looks ok. Missing all accessories other then internal battery and 2m ducky. Looks immaculate and appears to work! No filters in it or anything interesting.

Didn’t get nicked by the fuzz or stabbed in Feltham  :-DD

Ok took it to bits and it's got a collins CW filter in it. Just not configured in the menu  :-+

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82290 on: February 12, 2021, 01:56:41 pm »
I've had an "uncontrolled spending" week.

Purchases include, but are not limited to:
Tek 834, works despite clearly having been submerged in rusty water at some point,
SK/IVA lot of transistors and ICs, mostly NOS, from a TV repair shop judging by the part numbers,
Gossen Metrahit M242A with some battery compartment seasoning, not yet arrived,
LEGO Dacta and 4x MindStorms RCX 1.0, not yet arrived,
Thurlby Thandar TSX3510P (old colours) with minor scruffage, not yet arrived.

This is of course on top of having to buy new wipers and front tyres for the TT.

Wednesday at least I managed to work up a sweat making up tubes:

The semi haul:

Not seen this chip package before, presumably for a specific heatsink:

BU508A has been superceded!

On the plus side, the TT has already proved itself, ploughing through drifting snow that would have left me completely fucked in the Insignia, and this was before replacing the near bald front tyres!
I expect it to be unstoppable now, and also capable of going round corners.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

The following users thanked this post: Mortymore, bd139, Kosmic

Offline EE4all

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #82291 on: February 12, 2021, 01:58:10 pm »
Marconi 2023a. As if I need more projects...or yet another generator.  :-DD

Time to start replacing old caps.

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, bd139, Kosmic

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82292 on: February 12, 2021, 02:23:37 pm »

Not seen this chip package before, presumably for a specific heatsink:

It's a PAL/NTSC decoder consuming 1.7W and comes in a normal DIP28 package, not sure what happened with yours  :-DD
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82293 on: February 12, 2021, 02:37:01 pm »
The journalist seems to suggest a lack of snow for the Western parts of Scotland is to blame.
Area commander Bruce Farquharson said: "There may have been a lot of snow in the eastern and central areas of Scotland, but that is not the case in the western coastal areas and fuel conditions are very different.

David

That's definitely reading in something that wasn't said. If you want to draw an inference from that it would be the Western Isles haven't had a lot of snow compared to the parts of Scotland that have had a lot of snow. He's not implying that they have had none. It's a question of what a local would regard as a lot of snow, and for the Western Isles I suspect the concept of 'a lot of snow' is that you're wading through it.

The Met Office website is crap nowadays and only goes back 24 hours for observations (one used to be able to see a lot more) or else we'd be able to objectively see exactly what the last couple of week's weather has been there. Given the current weather (-23.5ºC overnight in central Northern Scotland) I'd expect that there's standing snow almost everywhere in the North and West Scotland at the moment, looking at the live visible light Meteosat pictures seems to confirm that supposition.

Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82294 on: February 12, 2021, 02:49:14 pm »
LEGO Dacta and 4x MindStorms RCX 1.0, not yet arrived,

Ooooooh Dacta. Now you need a beeb to connect it to :)

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #82295 on: February 12, 2021, 03:22:54 pm »

Don't think you'll have much work. Fairly recent devices, well constructed, low failure rate as far as I can tell...

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82296 on: February 12, 2021, 03:29:08 pm »

I have a 2025 that was built in 2006. All caps were fine. Check them before changing everything.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/aeroflex-ifr2025-without-acdc-power-supply/msg2894284/#msg2894284

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #82297 on: February 12, 2021, 03:51:26 pm »
The oscillators aren't the only thing that's "wired".  :o He's cranked like he's on meth or something. Or maybe it's just too early in the morning to appreciate the enthusiasm.  :-DD Personally I'd have trouble maintaining interest to build 10 of them.  :-//

In other news....there is talk of another foot of snow on Sunday. As a result the lady won't be visiting this weekend.  :(

Musician. Mind altering drugs. Quite possibly  :-DD

Snow is done here for the next decade  :-DD

Look! A true Universal Counter! As in... it will not finish before the End of the Universe! ;)

There's something aboot him... a bit in his face and expression, a lot in his voice and the manic edge when he gets along in the project; he reminds me very much of Andrew Scott's Moriarty... and I quite like it. >:D

I wanna go out for whiskey and darts and maybe blow up a small moon with the guy.   :-DD

mnem
Just a small one... who could mind that...?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 04:59:50 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #82298 on: February 12, 2021, 04:09:37 pm »
Oh he’s completely nuts. Look for the Furby organ  :-DD

No way... that was this guy too...? Fukkin' awesome!!! :-+

mnem

alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline EE4all

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #82299 on: February 12, 2021, 04:10:33 pm »

I have a 2025 that was built in 2006. All caps were fine. Check them before changing everything.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/aeroflex-ifr2025-without-acdc-power-supply/msg2894284/#msg2894284

I will. Haven't even cracked it open for a first visual inspection. Output frequency is very unstable, sometimes above, and other times below the set frequency and always fluctuating. I might open it up this weekend, but currently have a radio repair ongoing on the main bench.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf