Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 15723330 times)

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #82775 on: February 17, 2021, 08:10:56 am »

That's exactly the point: I already have one.  :palm:  :-DD

Thanks.   I needed a good laugh.   :-+

PS. I don't have one of those.... yet.  (There, Bean, beat you to it.)

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #82776 on: February 17, 2021, 08:13:00 am »
This has brought some confusion of my German understanding. Strom appears to be used interchangeably as current, stream, electricity, river, probably more things.  :-//

What mansaxel is saying:-+ :D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: bd139, mansaxel

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #82777 on: February 17, 2021, 08:14:46 am »

Who me  >:D Careful I will aim you at a BWD 30kg Anchor eBay auction: #111768799251 As I am a nice guy you could buy mine for ONLY $300 + $150 for postage :-DD

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #82778 on: February 17, 2021, 08:43:37 am »
Here's another good laugh......

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tektronix-Type-502-Dual-Beam-Oscilloscope-Tested/254737107677?hash=item3b4f83cadd:g:0SYAAOSwxElfd4pa

Seller is in Florida and he must be living in Disney World Fantasy land. Change that leading 7 to a 1 and maybe, just maybe, we'll talk. Looks pretty well beat up. The handles are rotten but that's normal. But all that rust isn't. It's been exposed to the damp Florida environment for quite a while. He sez it powers up. All I see is one lone neon illuminated. Do you see a trace? No? Good then, I'm not blind.  ::)
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #82779 on: February 17, 2021, 09:00:15 am »
All any seller needs is a single buyer to pull the trigger.

It's just that there aren't going to be any buyers likely to do that around here.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #82780 on: February 17, 2021, 09:04:08 am »
All any seller needs is a single buyer to pull the trigger.

It's just that there aren't going to be any buyers likely to do that around here.

Well this boy is not pulling that trigger.  ;D

In other news. Here we go again.  :palm:
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #82781 on: February 17, 2021, 09:05:06 am »
Who me  >:D Careful I will aim you at a BWD 30kg Anchor eBay auction: #111768799251 As I am a nice guy you could buy mine for ONLY $300 + $150 for postage :-DD

Intriguing.  A little out of my range of interest, though.

Pass.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #82782 on: February 17, 2021, 09:06:17 am »
BTW.... I finally opened my package.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, wolfy007, beanflying

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82783 on: February 17, 2021, 09:53:06 am »
Yes, you opened it and...? and ...?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #82784 on: February 17, 2021, 10:00:59 am »
Turned on the NanoVNA - tried the open, short and 50ohm.

Turned on the TinySA, attached the antenna and fired up my 8656B, which was connected to my 1740A via coax.  Watched the TinySA track the leakage signal as I ran it up and down.  Entertaining, to say the least.

After that, my leg took my attention.   >:(

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #82785 on: February 17, 2021, 10:45:42 am »
The love between a generator and a counter...

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, Neomys Sapiens, ch_scr

Offline wolfy007

• Regular Contributor
  • Back into electronics again, as a hobby this time.
« Reply #82786 on: February 17, 2021, 11:54:37 am »

My god, is that guy still trying to flog it for AU$500, thats going to be on eBay till the end of time....   ::)

The following users thanked this post: beanflying

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82787 on: February 17, 2021, 12:08:56 pm »
Seems I'm falling in the RF black hole. Buying a better RF cable to check the device that is supposed to check another device. :palm:

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82788 on: February 17, 2021, 12:48:53 pm »
Oh joy got another fecking ebay scammer problem.

Sent a Lenovo mini PC to someone via Hermes. Arrived apparently in a blue plastic bag at the neighbours with a different declared weight. Place your bets:

1. This is a lie and the buyer wants something for free (he already low balled offers several times on the item)
2. Hermes stole it
3. His neighbour stole it.

Any way this works out another £120 down the shitter probably.

I am no longer selling on ebay after this. It's a shit show.

I did read all the responses to this and have to agree with Specmaster, don't let the buggers get away with it.
On the latest one if you have a "signature equivilent" delivery confirmation from Hermes (you did pay for a signature I hope) then as far as ebay and PayPal are concerned you have fullfilled your responsibilies and they will not accept a claim fr non delivery. Up to buyer to chase with Hermes. You might get negative feedback but don't sweat it.
I only deal directly with the carrier, mostly Hemes or Post Office. People like paclink are a watse of time if anything goes wong because you have no contract with the at fault company.

Years ago, pre-PayPal I had customer take out a small claims court case over a Argon-ion laser I sold on ebay no returns or warranty. long story short he picked it up, saw it working and then 3 weeks later said it never worked. Probably thought I fold at the sight of court paperwork. I didn't and it went to hearing, local to me as defendant. Buyer didn't turn up and lost by default. Judge said he would have lost anyway.

There is a bloke on some Groups IO TE groups who admits to looking for badly described items, buying them, claiming not as described and getting refunds while keeping the item (mostly from far east). In my mind that's fraud. There are people out there taking advantage but we can't just give up.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, wolfy007

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #82789 on: February 17, 2021, 01:23:25 pm »
Seems I'm falling in the RF black hole. Buying a better RF cable to check the device that is supposed to check another device. :palm:

I think you need a calibrated Cesium Beam and nothing less  :-DD
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82790 on: February 17, 2021, 01:52:25 pm »

Sent a Lenovo mini PC to someone via Hermes. Arrived apparently in a blue plastic bag at the neighbours with a different declared weight. Place your bets:

1. This is a lie and the buyer wants something for free (he already low balled offers several times on the item)
2. Hermes stole it

I did read all the responses to this and have to agree with Specmaster, don't let the buggers get away with it.
On the latest one if you have a "signature equivilent" delivery confirmation from Hermes (you did pay for a signature I hope) then as far as ebay and PayPal are concerned you have fullfilled your responsibilies and they will not accept a claim fr non delivery. Up to buyer to chase with Hermes. You might get negative feedback but don't sweat it.
I only deal directly with the carrier, mostly Hemes or Post Office. People like paclink are a watse of time if anything goes wong because you have no contract with the at fault company.

Years ago, pre-PayPal I had customer take out a small claims court case over a Argon-ion laser I sold on ebay no returns or warranty. long story short he picked it up, saw it working and then 3 weeks later said it never worked. Probably thought I fold at the sight of court paperwork. I didn't and it went to hearing, local to me as defendant. Buyer didn't turn up and lost by default. Judge said he would have lost anyway.

There is a bloke on some Groups IO TE groups who admits to looking for badly described items, buying them, claiming not as described and getting refunds while keeping the item (mostly from far east). In my mind that's fraud. There are people out there taking advantage but we can't just give up.

Some additional info. The item was sent with signature on delivery and fully insured for value. It was delayed for one day at Hermes for some reason. Then repackaged and sent to the buyer who has shown me evidence that it was received in different packaging. The computer was missing from the redelivery so quite frankly it was unsealed and stolen in transit most likely by Hermes.

In this case I don’t think I can blame the buyer.

So now I can’t deal with Hermes directly because it was subcontracted through packlink. Packlink are an EU based company so there is no legal jurisdiction here. Their approach is to ignore claims because it’s profitable to do so. So the plan is to let the transaction arbiter fall through to a UK based company ie let eBay handle the dispute. I have provided tracking and photos of the item as packed.

If it goes in my favour, meh don’t care. 

If it doesn’t then the problem grows because eBay will claw it back from PayPal. Rather than it being taken from your card which you can dispute they give you a negative balance and hire a DCA when you refuse to pay it.

This happened once before and after escalating to ebay customer services they refunded both of us. That may work too.

As mentioned I’m going to let eBay handle it. Roll the dice. If I win, then the buyer can’t sue me because his contract is with eBay not me.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #82791 on: February 17, 2021, 02:09:03 pm »

Open your wallet and bend over :(
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #82792 on: February 17, 2021, 02:13:23 pm »
Just opened a new thread on "watch things getting machined"  ;D

Can be found here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/mechanical-engineering/machining-things-post-here-the-links/
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82793 on: February 17, 2021, 02:14:09 pm »

I think you need a calibrated Cesium Beam and nothing less  :-DD

Give it a few weeks..

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82794 on: February 17, 2021, 02:21:18 pm »

2. Hermes stole it

Some additional info. The item was sent with signature on delivery and fully insured for value. It was delayed for one day at Hermes for some reason. Then repackaged and sent to the buyer who has shown me evidence that it was received in different packaging. The computer was missing from the redelivery so quite frankly it was unsealed and stolen in transit most likely by Hermes.

So now I can’t deal with Hermes directly because it was subcontracted through packlink. Packlink are an EU based company so there is no legal jurisdiction here. Their approach is to ignore claims because it’s profitable to do so. So the plan is to let the transaction arbiter fall through to a UK based company ie let eBay handle the dispute. I have provided tracking and photos of the item as packed.

If it doesn’t then the problem grows because eBay will claw it back from PayPal. Rather than it being taken from your card which you can dispute they give you a negative balance and hire a DCA when you refuse to pay it.

This happened once before and after escalating to ebay customer services they refunded both of us. That may work too.

As mentioned I’m going to let eBay handle it. Roll the dice. If I win, then the buyer can’t sue me because his contract is with eBay not me.

Resolved. Buyer opened an item not received case rather than not as described. I added tracking info.

Spoke to eBay on phone and explained the situation accurately and they just closed the case as no refund as it was delivered and tracking said so  :-DD

He has to go to Hermes now.

Moral of the story is be accurate.

The following users thanked this post: Robert763, BU508A, Specmaster, wolfy007

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82795 on: February 17, 2021, 02:44:42 pm »
Resolved. Buyer opened an item not received case rather than not as described. I added tracking info.

Ahh, I bet he won't make that mistake again.
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82796 on: February 17, 2021, 02:50:21 pm »
It is a problem with the whole process that what the courier says is taken as gospel by eBay and PayPal.

So, when the courier messes up (thieving little s#!t employee, package accidentally crushed, etc.) both eBay and PayPal wash their hands of it and go by the paper trail only.

If the paper trail doesn't reflect reality...   Houston, we have a problem.

At that point, it is good to have an account with a larger firm (including Royal Mail in the UK, I guess) so you get an assigned account manager that can help resolve those kinds of f*k-ups.  It isn't as if they don't already know or suspect who their "bad apples" are...

It is really frustrating as a buyer when this happens.  The paper trail says you received it, but you have zilch... 
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 02:53:28 pm by SilverSolder »

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82797 on: February 17, 2021, 03:08:29 pm »
BTW.... I finally opened my package.

While doing all this teasing, you ought to consider how fast a man can move when he's clutching an IV bag and hopping on one leg. :)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82798 on: February 17, 2021, 03:13:22 pm »
Just noticed Paypal merchant discount rates are just.. gone? What the actual fuck?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82799 on: February 17, 2021, 03:19:38 pm »

2. Hermes stole it

Spoke to eBay on phone and explained the situation accurately and they just closed the case as no refund as it was delivered and tracking said so  :-DD

He has to go to Hermes now.

Moral of the story is be accurate.
There you go, bet you're glad now that you didn't just give in like you originally said that you was going to, so thats a £120 that can reused for other purposes now  :-+

I have just dispatched my meter by 24hr Hermes, just sat down and got a further eBay message telling me that I have just sold a Hi-Fi tuner that part of my Mothers estate, now to find a suitable box for that and get it packed up and dispatched.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf