Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 35894617 times)

_Wim_ and 2325 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline McBryce

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 2798
  • Country: de
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #91525 on: May 26, 2021, 06:20:27 pm »
   

Sometimes you have to wonder aboot our connected world... Yesterday I went shopping for a 15mm cone wrench (an extra slim wrench that will fit the slots on the inner bearing race or "cone" of a bicycle wheel axle) and this was what came up at the top of Amazon's list for cone wrench. This is a tool which was developed primarily for plumbing work; yet it comes up as a hit for "pedal wrench" and "cone wrench" presumably from the reviews of the tool...?

What doesn't make sense here is not that they got the data from the reviews... but how did they sift that data from those reviews? This is not something easily divined from context by an algorithm. In fact, those terms would make no sense outside of the specific context of a) someone who needs a cone wrench and b) who knows what they're looking for.  :o

Maybe this is something that got added manually by the wetware... one at least hopes they have meat-sacks whose job it is to curate those lists to some extent; perhaps this is one of them.  :-//

Under any circumstances, I have one on its way now... as it is the only option that will get to me in less than 2 weeks, and it is like $8 more expensive than the cheapest actual 15mm cone wrench they have. :P

mnem
...The consciousness of [the Cosmic] AC encompassed all of what had once been a Universe and brooded over what was now Chaos. Step by step, it must be done.  And AC said, "LET THERE BE LIGHT!"  And there was light --

I think your assumption that any meat based filtering was involved is a bit optimistic. I'd guess that they dropped the word "cone" and just linked you to the best selling thing that included the word "Wrench".

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.
 

Offline mnementh

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 17541
  • Country: us
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #91526 on: May 26, 2021, 06:26:07 pm »
Neither one will be easier... it's just a matter of whether you like the gloss or satin finish better.  :-// Of course nobody else will know what evils lurk back there... but you will. ;)

mnem


OK, surprise me.  :P :-DD

A'aight.

Can you do me one favor...? Put a caliper across the head of one of the screws that hold these on and get me a exact diameter? Or if there's a washer goes under it, whichever one is larger OD?

mnem
 :-/O
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °
 

Offline mnementh

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 17541
  • Country: us
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #91527 on: May 26, 2021, 06:31:16 pm »
   med... which do you like better; the gloss black or satin black filament? Finished product is pretty close to the correct dimensions now; just trying to get the surface looking presentable.

mnem
 8)
They need be subjected to the Bean test first:

I actally thought aboot that... but reality is that the aluminum stud underneath would likely give way far sooner, and I don't have anything even close to it to use as a mockup without conjuring up a lathe.  :-//

mnem
 :popcorn:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °
 

Offline med6753

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 11346
  • Country: us
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #91528 on: May 26, 2021, 06:47:19 pm »
Neither one will be easier... it's just a matter of whether you like the gloss or satin finish better.  :-// Of course nobody else will know what evils lurk back there... but you will. ;)

mnem


OK, surprise me.  :P :-DD

A'aight.

Can you do me one favor...? Put a caliper across the head of one of the screws that hold these on and get me a exact diameter? Or if there's a washer goes under it, whichever one is larger OD?

mnem
 :-/O

I don't have a pair of calipers. But here's a pix of the standoffs and the screw. You'll have to guesstimate.

An old gray beard with an attitude.
 

Offline beanflying

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 7402
  • Country: au
  • Toys so very many Toys.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #91529 on: May 26, 2021, 06:51:20 pm »
Yep the TEK one effectively has a full length stud so it is a cover with a fat plastic washer with a bolt through it at the end so no real strength needed. The HP one was a bit dumb as it relied on the plastic for the strength with a short stud. But it does allow way more safe distance if you want to float the scope over the Tek.

The smack test was however worth it  >:D
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....
 
The following users thanked this post: tautech, mnementh

Offline tonyalbus

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1031
  • Country: nl
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #91530 on: May 26, 2021, 07:14:07 pm »
Managed not to cut off my fingertips... but you can't say i did not try  :-DD :-DD



And having my special  8) 8) on
The Test Equipment Addict. Electronics enthusiast and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - TEK - Keithley - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus
 
The following users thanked this post: BU508A, med6753, mnementh, BILLPOD

Offline Specmaster

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 14488
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #91531 on: May 26, 2021, 07:49:40 pm »
Neither one will be easier... it's just a matter of whether you like the gloss or satin finish better.  :-// Of course nobody else will know what evils lurk back there... but you will. ;)

mnem


OK, surprise me.  :P :-DD

A'aight.

Can you do me one favor...? Put a caliper across the head of one of the screws that hold these on and get me a exact diameter? Or if there's a washer goes under it, whichever one is larger OD?

mnem
 :-/O

I don't have a pair of calipers. But here's a pix of the standoffs and the screw. You'll have to guesstimate.


What...you don't have a pair of calipers!!! Just grab yourself a cheapo pair of digital ones, they are so bloody useful. I struggle to comprehend that don't have a pair. 
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi
 

Offline beanflying

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 7402
  • Country: au
  • Toys so very many Toys.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #91532 on: May 26, 2021, 07:52:13 pm »
Managed not to cut off my fingertips... but you can't say i did not try  :-DD :-DD



And having my special  8) 8) on

Turned up on my YouTube feed because the Algorithm told it to so I will watch the scary now  :scared:
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....
 
The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline med6753

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 11346
  • Country: us
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #91533 on: May 26, 2021, 08:08:21 pm »

What...you don't have a pair of calipers!!! Just grab yourself a cheapo pair of digital ones, they are so bloody useful. I struggle to comprehend that don't have a pair.

I knew someone was going to bust my balls over having no calipers.  :P  Since when does an ELT tech and sometimes carpenter need them?  :-// If I were a sometimes machinist then sure.....but I'm not.  :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.
 

Offline SilverSolder

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 6126
  • Country: 00
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #91534 on: May 26, 2021, 08:11:29 pm »

What...you don't have a pair of calipers!!! Just grab yourself a cheapo pair of digital ones, they are so bloody useful. I struggle to comprehend that don't have a pair.

I knew someone was going to bust my balls over having no calipers.  :P  Since when does an ELT tech and sometimes carpenter need them?  :-// If I were a sometimes machinist then sure.....but I'm not.  :-DD

I use mine several times a day, whether electronics, mechanics, commerce (measuring items for packaging) etc. etc. etc.  - they are a modern day miracle, just like modern digital scales!  And often cost less than $10...

 
The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline mnementh

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 17541
  • Country: us
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #91535 on: May 26, 2021, 08:16:02 pm »
med has a black woman who keeps coming back for more. He knows it's big enough. :-DD

mnem
and truth: does he really need to know more than that...? >:D
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 08:32:36 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °
 
The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline med6753

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 11346
  • Country: us
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #91536 on: May 26, 2021, 08:24:40 pm »
med has a black woman who keeps coming back for more. He knows it's big enough. :-DD
and
mnem
and truth: does he really need to know more than that...? >:D

I'm speechless and my face has turned red. Thanks pal.  :P :P :P :-DD

Changing subject...rapidly.....It appears that Mouser has fully recovered from their issues. I sent in an order this morning and it is ready for shipment. 
An old gray beard with an attitude.
 
The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline SilverSolder

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 6126
  • Country: 00
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #91537 on: May 26, 2021, 08:35:31 pm »
med has a black woman who keeps coming back for more. He knows it's big enough. :-DD

mnem
and truth: does he really need to know more than that...? >:D

Was it the talk of calipers that triggered this?  :D
 

Offline mnementh

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 17541
  • Country: us
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #91538 on: May 26, 2021, 08:38:34 pm »


Yeah... as in in "He knows it's big enough, he doesn't need to measure it that precisely..." and the latter part implied, of course. :P

I need to remember that I'm talking to a room full of Engineers, who are not always in touch with their inner dirty-minded primate...

mnem
 :-/O
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 08:45:37 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °
 
The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, cyclin_al, Saskia

Offline Specmaster

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 14488
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #91539 on: May 26, 2021, 08:54:57 pm »

What...you don't have a pair of calipers!!! Just grab yourself a cheapo pair of digital ones, they are so bloody useful. I struggle to comprehend that don't have a pair.

I knew someone was going to bust my balls over having no calipers.  :P  Since when does an ELT tech and sometimes carpenter need them?  :-// If I were a sometimes machinist then sure.....but I'm not.  :-DD
Simples, when you need to measure the dia of a washer or bolt head, such as for your feet, when you need to measure the depth of a hole, its dia, or the depth etc of a rebate when doing carpentry, they really are a master of most measurements when you need to ensure that the correct  sizes are adhered to  :palm: I'm an electrical engineer by trade, and you could say when would I ever need that precise measurements doing such work, but they have saved my arse on many occasions and needn't cost a fortune either, I think I only paid about £10 a pair new.  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi
 

Offline Vince

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4564
  • Country: fr
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #91540 on: May 26, 2021, 09:04:50 pm »
!!!   BREAKING NEWS !!!

Vintage HP Scope 120B : I managed to get it in the end ! :box:    :D :D :D :D

"Seller"/donator replied to me when I asked why he cancelled the deal. Said " it makes no sense to ship it to the other end of the country to recycle it ! "

What ?! RECYCLE IT ?!  What the hell is he talking about now ?!  :o

So he gave it away thinking someone would  recycle/sell its 14kg worth of metal ?!

Uhhh... so I replied to him that I meant to RESTORE it and breathe life back into it, which sounded a much more enviable proposition for this little scope, than the prospect of being melted for its metal !!!  :o

I thought he would either not reply to that, or tell me to fuck off, as most people do... but guess what, he said "oh, you sound really interested then !!! OK I agree to ship it to you then.. but are you sure you are OK to spend 100 Euros for the shipping ? It's bloody heavy and big ! "

Uh again.... shipping is only 12 Euros... yes I am willing to pay 12 Euros to rescue that piece of HP history !  :-//

I received the scope this evening... packaged badly as always. Zero packing / protection on top, bottom, left or right sides ! A tiny bit of packing at the back, and half decent packing where it matters the most, luckily, at the front !

Somehow the scope was 100% intact, a miracle.

So that's it, I have my first piece of HP equipment ! My first HP scope lost in a sea of Classic Tek scopes ! Hope the Tek won't attack him when I am not home !  :-DD


Great surprise inside : NOT all tubes have been stolen !  19 tubes in all, 11 have disappeared, so almost half of them are still in place !!!  :D
Looks like the guy stole only the very few tube types that he thought would interest the audio guys : all the 6DJ8 (x3) and 12AU7(x5). These I had figured by now that the audio people loved them. However he also stole the 6U8 (x3). Didn't know that one was of interest to the audio guys. I take note...

But all the others he left inside :

- 6AQ5 : Glad, because I have only one I could use, so would rather hang on to it !
- 6AU6 : have lots of these anyway
- 12B4A : great, because I had none of those. Only an older vanilla 12B4, and not that many of them.
- 6C4 : COOL -> was the only one I had none at all of ! Was cheap anyway, but once shipped it would still have cost me 10 Euros or so at the least. So, glad I can save 10 Euros.
- 5642 - rectifier tubes for the CRT HV
- 5651 : voltage regulator tube. That one looks toast (all black inside... not too promising), but all my Tek scopes use the same regulator tube, so no worries, plenty to chose from !  8)


So looks like replacing the missing tubes should free of charge and straight forward. Nothing to buy. So this little scope might come back to life pretty soon ?!  :D

It looks in need of a lot of cleaning and love, but it's in great nick overall so should look pretty good once I am done with it ! Lots of labour involved though, so won't happen overnight. Needs to be 100% stripped and patiently cleaned and refurbished. Lots to do. Looks like it sat for decades, definitely the kind of scope that will go BOOM if I dare to power it without taking precautions... need to check the caps, transformer. dig out my dim bulb tester, or look for a variac. Scope is low power so maybe I can find a cheap old used low power variac... will have a look around.

I think I have already found what I could do with it : its abyssal 450kHz , oops sorry, 450kc bandwidth, is hopeless. However, it's got a large CRT, a cool retro look, practical banana jacks instead of BNC or UHF connectors as inputs. Has an external horizontal amplifier input, so could be turned into an XY scope I guess. Also, it has a Z input, and located at the front to boot, which is rather uncommon, it's usually hidden at the back !
So it's pretty useless as a scope, but would male a beautiful and very practical XY display machine, for all sorts of XY goodness, me think !   :D

So that's the plan for this little thing.

Looking inside, I found at least one thing blatantly wrong with it : a couple Sprague electrolytic caps (see close-up pic) that look tired, very tired, shall we say, as an euphemism....
They are nothing vital for the operation of the scope though. Looked them up in the schematic. Part of the trigger circuitry. The two caps are identical in value, 40uF, mounted in series, and form a non-polarized 40uF cap. If I read the schematic right, they are bypassed when you set the trigger to ' AUTO ', and in circuit/active otherwise. So as a first step I could just remove them and still be able to get a trace on the screen when first trying to revive the scope.. Then I can buy new caps when I am in the final stages of the restoration and I put everything 100% right.

Other than that, as far as discovering my first HP piece of gear, I would say it's always fun and interesting to discover how HP made its stuff compared to Tek back then. This HP scope is nothing like a contemporary Tek, but it's nothing to be ashamed of. Very rugged and  good looking case/chassis, attention to detail. Inside, top quality PCB rather than Tek's ceramic strips. HP definitely loves shiny stuff : the inner/invisible side of the top and bottom covers are 100% covered int gold ! Well, not gold obviously, must be whatever plating that looks like Gold, but still, looks rich !  ;D
Also, the top cover has a large schematic printed on it, representing a top view of the instrument, detailing where all the trimmers and tubes are, and what they do !  :-+

Inside, the PCB and and wiring harness don't look as sexy as a Tek scope for sure, but that nice printed "gold" top cover looks the part, and the main transformer looks nice as well. It too, has a nice schematic printed on it ! Detailing the various windings with voltage levels and pinout.

HP also has " a thing " with branding ! Either too much ego, or the other way around, a complex of inferiority.. that led them to put 'hp' logos all over the place, in rather unexpected places ! Found all the feet at the bottom of the unit, had hp logos on them. the CRT, which has an internal graticule (cool thing in itself), has not one but TWO 'hp' logos AS PART OF THE GRATICULE itself !!!!  :scared:

The neck of the CRT is held in place with a clamp that looks just like what I would find clamping the main radiator hoses on my car's engine !  :scared:
I thought this can't be legit..... but looking closely, it might well BE !  :o  Clamp reads "made in .... PATENTED 34564XTZ "   :o

Also, has an IEC power socket at the back ! Now this can't possibly be factory for that old a scope.... though the socket itself looks bloody old, judging by the type of plastic it's made of. Shiny and hard/brittle, like bakelite, must be an extremely early IEC socket, like, marketed the very same day that the IEC socket was introduced !  ;D
Still, I like that, so practical. I just hate devices with cords sticking out, it's a mess.

This scope is real nice to sum it up.. only let down, strangely, by surprisingly, shockingly cheap looking and feeling plastic knobs and jacks at the front ! What where HP thinking ? Contemporary Tek scopes were 2 steps ahead, much prefer their knobs.

A few piccies below.


So all in all, I am so glad I "bought" this free scope. For only 12 Euros shipping, I got myself a beautiful piece of vintage HP gear, my first one ! I am a bit excited... sorry.  So much joy for so little money, it's not often these days !  I am glad I saw it, and insisted to persuade the owner to ship it to me even though he didn't want to at first...
Will be more than happy to restore it, well worth it, deserves it. Will be proud of owning this little gem once it's all working and shining again ! It SO did not deserve to die !!!   :scared:


« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 10:09:55 pm by Vince »
 

Offline Vince

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4564
  • Country: fr
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #91541 on: May 26, 2021, 09:07:17 pm »
Some more....
 
The following users thanked this post: BU508A, Specmaster, Kosmic, cyclin_al, syau, tonyalbus

Offline SilverSolder

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 6126
  • Country: 00
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #91542 on: May 26, 2021, 09:09:28 pm »


Yeah... as in in "He knows it's big enough, he doesn't need to measure it that precisely..." and the latter part implied, of course. :P

I need to remember that I'm talking to a room full of Engineers, who are not always in touch with their inner dirty-minded primate...

mnem
 :-/O


Engineers do it with precision!  :D
 
The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 17541
  • Country: us
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #91543 on: May 26, 2021, 09:15:45 pm »

!!!   BREAKING NEWS !!!

Vintage HP Scope 120B : I managed to get it in the end ! :box:    :D :D :D :D...

Will be proud of owning this little gem once it's all working and shining again ! It SO did not deserve to die !!!   :scared:

Glad you were able to save it from the choob vulture. Please share his its eBay username so we can burn the bastard in effigy avoid supporting the vulturism and maybe save a few bits of vintage gear ourselves.

mnem
 :-/O
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °
 

Offline Saskia

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 2893
  • Country: de
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #91544 on: May 26, 2021, 09:24:44 pm »


Yeah... as in in "He knows it's big enough, he doesn't need to measure it that precisely..." and the latter part implied, of course. :P

I need to remember that I'm talking to a room full of Engineers, who are not always in touch with their inner dirty-minded primate...

mnem
 :-/O

a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste ...
 
The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mansaxel

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3564
  • Country: se
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #91545 on: May 26, 2021, 09:25:58 pm »

So all in all, I am so glad I "bought" this free scope. For only 12 Euros shipping, I got myself a beautiful piece of vintage HP gear, my first one ! I am a bit excited... sorry.  So much joy for so little money, it's not often these days !  I am glad I saw it, and insisted to persuade the owner to ship it to me even though he didn't want to at first...
Will be more than happy to restore it, well worth it, deserves it. Will be proud of owning this little gem once it's all working and shining again ! It SO did not deserve to die !!!   :scared:

Elle est très jolie!

Congratulations to a nice catch. Very different from what we mostly think of as a "scope", but that's probably because Tek, once they set to it,  so completely owned the concept of "oscilloscope" that nothing else seems to have caught on really.

Offline Vince

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4564
  • Country: fr
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #91546 on: May 26, 2021, 09:39:27 pm »
Quote from: Vince
Vintage HP Scope 120B : I managed to get it in the end ! :box:    :D :D :D :D...
Will be proud of owning this little gem once it's all working and shining again ! It SO did not deserve to die !!!   :scared:


Glad you were able to save it from the choob vulture. Please share his its eBay username so we can burn the bastard in effigy avoid supporting the vulturism and maybe save a few bits of vintage gear ourselves.

mnem
 :-/O


Not Ebay !  It's from our French equivalent of CL : " Leboncoin.fr".

Here is the ad, still online :

https://www.leboncoin.fr/bricolage/1984157768.htm

Guy has no other items listed, he is not a "serial seller" at first glance...


 
The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Cerebus

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 10576
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #91547 on: May 26, 2021, 09:40:01 pm »


Yeah... as in in "He knows it's big enough, he doesn't need to measure it that precisely..." and the latter part implied, of course. :P

I need to remember that I'm talking to a room full of Engineers, who are not always in touch with their inner dirty-minded primate...

mnem
 :-/O

Have you been paying no attention boy? This room is chock full of dirty-minded primates. OK, so one of the dirtiest minded, and so monkey-like to actually say "Ook, Ook" in reply to at least one message is missing at the moment, but his absence hasn't changed the composition of the audience significantly.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?
 
The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline BU508A

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4576
  • Country: de
  • Per aspera ad astra
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #91548 on: May 26, 2021, 09:40:13 pm »
I'm seriously considering putting this guy out on my local CL. I'll make sure all critical calibrations are in spec but I won't perform a PSU re-cap. The other Type 454 will be a keeper.

Others should have fun too?

 ;D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -
 
The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline BU508A

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4576
  • Country: de
  • Per aspera ad astra
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #91549 on: May 26, 2021, 09:50:20 pm »
!!!   BREAKING NEWS !!!

Vintage HP Scope 120B : I managed to get it in the end ! :box:    :D :D :D :D

Congratulations! I'm glad, that it finally find his way to you.  :-+

Quote
I think I have already found what I could do with it : its abyssal 450kHz , oops sorry, 450kc bandwidth, is hopeless. However, it's got a large CRT, a cool retro look, practical banana jacks instead of BNC or UHF connectors as inputs. Has an external horizontal amplifier input, so could be turned into an XY scope I guess. Also, it has a Z input, and located at the front to boot, which is rather uncommon, it's usually hidden at the back !
So it's pretty useless as a scope, but would male a beautiful and very practical XY display machine, for all sorts of XY goodness, me think !   :D

Perhaps this kind of scopes has been used for audio stuff.
One application I could imagine would be measuring the synchronisation fluctuations
of tape recorders. This can be done very well with the representation of Lissajous figures (XY-mode, of course).

anyway, I'm wishing you a lot of fun bringing this nice scope back to life.  :)
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -
 
The following users thanked this post: Vince


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf

 

-->