Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 15545003 times)

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #93450 on: July 02, 2021, 03:30:24 pm »
@mnem dwagon

We finally got the electronic toys out for a first bash.  Sometime post-birthday we finally got both dry weather and free time on Canada Day.
Very happy with the toys chosen  :-+  SWMBO wants one now too...

You will notice that the front LED light bar took a hit in a tumble.  I actually found the missing LED in the grass to be able to solder it back on.
Also considering different LED colours just to differentiate between the 2 trucks.

First experience indicates that heat sinks for the motors are highly recommended!

However, I found some extras when I was shaking out the gravel at the end.

That is the cup for the end of the front drive shaft and one of the bearings for the front differential.
Not sure if you can see from the photo, but the remains of a M2x8 screw are still inside that cup.
It looks like the screw sheared off, allowing it to come apart.  No missing parts  :phew:
Does the tinkerDragon have any suggestions to try remove that tiny frustration from the cup?
I will take some time tonight to see if I can find these parts to order replacements/spares.
In the meantime, I just might have to convert it to 2WD, but that is a lot of disassembly/reassembly to achieve that...  :-/O

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #93451 on: July 02, 2021, 03:39:59 pm »
things are looking pretty good here in PA.

until the next spike anyway.

edit  gov wolf eliminated the mask mandate on monday.  but restaurants still have a lot of tables closed off.  asked and they said that they do not have enough staff to cover all the tables.  they all have help wanted signs on the doors.  at our favorite place we were told they have only taken 4 applications in the last 2 months.

One of my best friends lives in York and I've been hearing all about it.

Meanwhile, up here, the politicians are in full on campaign mode so they're keeping it going as long as they can.  ...and remember, vote for the guy who writes the free money cheques!

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93452 on: July 02, 2021, 04:06:14 pm »
Yup. This will go until March next year approx based on previous pandemics. Obviously depends on potential for this thing to mutate and avoid our current countermeasures :(

Making the most of no lockdown here so I’m off out tomorrow with random folk hiking
Or even longer, I mean 2 weeks ago when we had 7,000 new cases a day, we were told that restrictions would now remain in place until July 19, now we have 20,000 new cases a day, we are told that they can see no reason for restrictions to last longer than July 19. Logic on that one does not compute...."The Computer says NO"

Translation: "Hello, my name is    The Hood     Gollum    Savid Javid and I'll be your new Health Secretary today."

"Now I don't know much about all this 'health' stuff, I'm just a banker with a degree in Economics and Politics, but my lovely tousle headed new boss says that we must be open for 'business as usual' yesterday, or sooner. So please don't confuse me with all this 'evidence' and 'health' stuff, I only really understand money, politics and keeping my shiny new job - which makes me an important personTM again so that's alright."

Cynical? Moi?
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, Neper

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93453 on: July 02, 2021, 04:21:39 pm »
Looked through the Scottrade12 offers on ebay. Got stuck for some hours just looking those companies up.

That Metrix GX5000-MoD pulse generator at MJTRONIX looks nice, although.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114681080274?hash=item1ab38669d2:g:6qIAAOSwXIpgJnBF

Also ready-made professional 4-channel 10MHz distribution amplifiers.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114794338302?hash=item1aba4697fe:g:qEAAAOSwJEpgkpvo

I would not call that a professional distribution amplifier. It's his own design.  thought it odd thet while the silkscreen indicates +5V & -5V and ther are 3 power terminals there are only two power wires connected in the photos. Then I read the descripton which says "PLEASE NOTE THAT THE INPUT SIGNAL NEED TO BE FROM A SEPARATE POWER SUPPLY.  THE DISTRIBUTION AMP AND THE OSCILLATOR MUST BE POWERED FROM 2 DIFFERENT POWER SUPPLY." Not what you want to have to do. Clearly a design issue of some sort. Also that seller breaks a lot of TE.
I have to admit that I did not look in depth at it. I saw it and remembered that those have always been an item of interest to multiple parties. Wording corrected accordingly.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93454 on: July 02, 2021, 04:29:43 pm »
Cynical? Moi?

Cynical but accurate!

They just decided to scrap MiFID as well which is making my day quite interesting  :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93455 on: July 02, 2021, 04:35:50 pm »
@bd139, don’t forget that it will take time for these new cases to reach the critical stages where hospital admission would be required and death rate to increase. Looking at the graphs I have seen, new cases where readily declining had almost bottomed out at very low figures, but, there is beginning to be a rapid increase and the curve is certainly looking like a massive spike is about to hit us, so I wouldn’t let my guard down just yet. My nephew has just been confirmed with the Indian version, I also know of a school in Brentwood that has closed with all the pupils self isolating.

It also transpires that vaccination passport that PM speaks of to allow double jabbed people to travel, has been torpedoed by the EU as they have not yet had samples of the Astra Zeneca vaccine (made in India, not the UK as claimed apparently) so the EU are unable to approve it, so travel to EU will still be banned  :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93456 on: July 02, 2021, 04:46:05 pm »
On the schools it’s amazing what you can do with a COVID test to get a 10 day holiday for you and your friends. My eldest’s year has been taken out for 10 days as well. This is a single invalidated home test.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2021, 04:48:40 pm by bd139 »

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93457 on: July 02, 2021, 04:47:10 pm »
Cynical? Moi?

Cynical but accurate!

They just decided to scrap MiFID as well which is making my day quite interesting  :-DD

"They" being the EU or the freshly sovereignty crazed UK government? If the latter, isn't that just a way of saying "The UK markets don't really want all those European clients?" or "Oh, why do I have a hole in my foot?".

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93458 on: July 02, 2021, 04:50:23 pm »
Cynical? Moi?

Cynical but accurate!

"They" being the EU or the freshly sovereignty crazed UK government? If the latter, isn't that just a way of saying "The UK markets don't really want all those European clients?" or "Oh, why do I have a hole in my foot?".

It’s they as in Tory allies. It’s not about access to European markets but preventing visibility of private markets which are far more lucrative if no one knows what’s going on because the transparency directive is scrapped.

This will drive everyone to our markets as well as quite frankly it’s easy money if everything is deregulated and people are in this for profit.

So it’s mostly bad news for humans generally but good news for those profiteering from it.

But bad news for those people selling compliance solutions  >:(
« Last Edit: July 02, 2021, 04:53:14 pm by bd139 »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93459 on: July 02, 2021, 04:58:25 pm »
Cynical? Moi?

Cynical but accurate!

It’s they as in Tory allies. It’s not about access to European markets but preventing visibility of private markets which are far more lucrative if no one knows what’s going on because the transparency directive is scrapped.

This will drive everyone to our markets as well as quite frankly it’s easy money if everything is deregulated and people are in this for profit.

So it’s mostly bad news for humans generally but good news for those profiteering from it.

But bad news for those people selling compliance solutions  >:(
Why am I not in the slightest bit surprised by this news, anyone who thinks that this Tory lot are on their side are either misguided and brainwashed or already have their snouts and trotters in the trough feeding from it >:D :horse:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93460 on: July 02, 2021, 05:06:07 pm »
@mnem dwagon

We finally got the electronic toys out for a first bash.  Sometime post-birthday we finally got both dry weather and free time on Canada Day.
(Attachment Link)
You will notice that the front LED light bar took a hit in a tumble.  I actually found the missing LED in the grass to be able to solder it back on.
Also considering different LED colours just to differentiate between the 2 trucks.

First experience indicates that heat sinks for the motors are highly recommended!

(Attachment Link)
That is the cup for the end of the front drive shaft and one of the bearings for the front differential.
Not sure if you can see from the photo, but the remains of a M2x8 screw are still inside that cup.
It looks like the screw sheared off, allowing it to come apart.  No missing parts  :phew:
Does the tinkerDragon have any suggestions to try remove that tiny frustration from the cup?
I will take some time tonight to see if I can find these parts to order replacements/spares.
In the meantime, I just might have to convert it to 2WD, but that is a lot of disassembly/reassembly to achieve that...  :-/O

There's a rabbit hole eagerly awaiting your arrival:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/274150492516
https://www.ebay.de/itm/174799146677
https://www.ebay.de/itm/333855956848
https://www.ebay.de/itm/373583790898
https://www.ebay.de/itm/233976812267
https://www.ebay.de/itm/174486769029

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #93461 on: July 02, 2021, 05:19:42 pm »
In other news: My frequency difference measurements (aka timenuttery for beginners) has made some progress:

I'm comparing two of the OCXO equipped and GPS synchronized radio clocks (one could also call them GPSDO in this configuration) using the FA-2 and my frequency difference measuring device.

First graph shows the FA-2 @ 10sec gate (red line) and my device (green spiky line, with some yellow). It's the difference between said two radio clocks.

Next graph shows the same setup one day later, after I've improved the power supply of the radio clocks, this removed some of the noise.

Last graph shows left of 16:30 the difference between the radio clocks in red, and one radio clock vs. the ready made GPSDO in yellow. Past 16:30, I've swapped the connectors so red is the GPSDO vs. radio clock and yellow is radio clock disguised GPSDO vs. radio clock disguised GPSDO.

Looks like the ready made GPSDO is way more nervous than my stuff.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2021, 05:22:09 pm by capt bullshot »
Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr, DC1MC, cyclin_al, tonyalbus

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93462 on: July 02, 2021, 05:46:26 pm »
Has anybody seen any photos for this ebay item at all? When I click on the link, I dont see any photos. I have twice now requested from the seller some photos and twice nothing is forth coming. I'm leaning towards it being a scam via the sellers account being hacked, why do I think this? Because he normally sells VW spares and all his other items have photos and they have good feedback as well, so not responding seems out of character for this seller, but if his account has been hacked, he wouldnt have received my messages so could be unaware of whats is happening?
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93463 on: July 02, 2021, 05:50:29 pm »
Clearly COVID is over in the UK as 60,000 are heading for Wembley. Give me Sport and/or COVID  :palm:

Not helped by the fact that you just have to say you tested negative to be allowed to go. Many fans are throwing the tests in the bin and just using the barcode to register a "negative" test.
Money before public safety, wins every time at the moment. Look at the tower block in Miami that collapsed, Grenfell Tower, how do these charlatans sleep at night  :-//
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93464 on: July 02, 2021, 06:14:50 pm »
Has anybody seen any photos for this ebay item at all? When I click on the link, I dont see any photos. I have twice now requested from the seller some photos and twice nothing is forth coming. I'm leaning towards it being a scam via the sellers account being hacked, why do I think this? Because he normally sells VW spares and all his other items have photos and they have good feedback as well, so not responding seems out of character for this seller, but if his account has been hacked, he wouldnt have received my messages so could be unaware of whats is happening?

What  item?

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93465 on: July 02, 2021, 06:20:07 pm »
Clearly COVID is over in the UK as 60,000 are heading for Wembley. Give me Sport and/or COVID  :palm:

Not helped by the fact that you just have to say you tested negative to be allowed to go. Many fans are throwing the tests in the bin and just using the barcode to register a "negative" test.
Money before public safety, wins every time at the moment. Look at the tower block in Miami that collapsed, Grenfell Tower, how do these charlatans sleep at night  :-//

From what I've seen in news reports the Champlain tower issue was at least partially the residents not wanting to pay the tens or hundreds of thousands each for repairs.

Online McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93466 on: July 02, 2021, 06:21:18 pm »

A link to the item would possibly help?

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #93467 on: July 02, 2021, 06:25:05 pm »

A link to the item would possibly help?

McBryce.

This one I should think:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184908937032
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93468 on: July 02, 2021, 06:26:47 pm »

Probably very well on their silk pillows, in air conditioned rooms, with private security patrolling the grounds.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93469 on: July 02, 2021, 06:39:27 pm »
Someone wanted a 3478? This one has no bids yet, and who knows how the seller might react to a careful offer?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154515693118

Mine arrived today via Herpes (tbf the local driver is a decent chap, but who knows what uncaring mouth-breathers might have handled it further up the chain?) with some of the best packaging I've yet seen, making the £65 shipped price all the sweeter.

Looks like he custom made the packing with a hotwire and HD poly(urethane?) foam sheets. Needless to say it arrived in the same condition that it was sent, namely somewhat old and used, but fully functional and undamaged.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #93470 on: July 02, 2021, 06:45:33 pm »
@mnem dwagon   We finally got the electronic toys out for a first bash.  Sometime post-birthday we finally got both dry weather and free time on Canada Day.

That's one of the wheel axles' drive cup and bearing. The screw is held in with LokTite, so heat will be required to get that screw stub out. Also, there is evidently a problem with some of these kits being assembled with CA instead of LokTite, so a fair amount of heat may be required.  :palm:  As shown in the above diagram, the screw is a M2x8mm flat head.

You won't be easily able to "convert to 2WD" without ruining the wheel axle... they use a CV joint at the wheel end so the shaft is captive. While technically it is possible to disassemble this, it is not meant to be disassembled, so will be difficult to do so without damaging the spring retainer and/or losing parts.

There is a shortcut way to get the diff apart without completely dismantling the frontend. I did it this way myself to grease my diffs. The 12429 comes factory with upgraded metal gears; it needs to be greased with a light plastic safe silicone grease or grease containing PTFE.

I'm using this for the diffs and main spur gear: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07YLLPN51/   It's a little thicker than I like, but it sticks well and once it runs in the drag reduces to nearly nil. It still drags a bit more than I like on the main spur gear; next time I have them apart I may try a dry PTFE or graphite lube instead.

I also apply ChainLube to all the dogbone drive cups and CV joints using a screwdriver as an applicator. It penetrates well, but once the carrier evaporates it stays put, which is what you want. :-+

If you can't salvage what you have, your quickest way up & running is going to be the 12428 parts list from Banggood's USA warehouse:

https://usa.banggood.com/Wltoys-12429-Front-Differential-RC-Car-Parts-p-1636119.html and have them ship to a US address you can pick up at.

Otherwise, you'll have to order from the China warehouse; use the same link and select a Canada delivery address & it'll automatically adjust the warehouse. Upgrade your shipping to Canada Direct Mail (not Canada Priority Direct) and it should be in your hands in 8-14 days. I dunno if Canada still has the $20 small purchase exemption on Duty; adjusting your order size to accommodate may be something to consider. :-//

You may also want to consider getting the whole differential assembly (watch out for the one for the Feiyue FY01; it is similar but no go), and def scroll through all their 12428/12429 parts list: https://usa.banggood.com/search/12428.html recommended are the aluminum hub hexes if they have 'em, but the huge aluminum bling sets are not a good idea, as there are really only a handful of bits (mostly the wheel hubs) you can used without trading out flexy parts that bend and creating a car that breaks instead.

https://usa.banggood.com/Metal-Heat-Sink-5V-Cooling-Fan-For-1-or-10-Car-540-3650-Motor-p-919362.html

This looks like the motor heat sinks I'm using; it has the 2 screws holding the fan on (it works fine) and it has the channels cut in the underside that allow the fan to drive air down to all the fins. You'll need to mod the underside of the body (the part with the driver) with a hot-air gun in the vicinity of the fire extinguisher to get clearance for the fan.

Don't get this one. I tried and no way in hell it'll fit short of cutting chunks out of the body.

Power for the fan is a bit of a PITA; I tried using the LED power but the fan severely drops the voltage if connected there, indicating to me either a current-limiting resistor in the circuit or possibly overloading a pin on a CPU, as the car does control the lights from the CPU to flash them in cases of OLP or LV. 

The LED circuit is switched open-drain or open-collector output (switched from the (-) side for those playing along at home), and you can tap regulated +5V at the LED harness. Then you need to find a BATT (-), which is where the PITA part comes in, as the Receiver/ESC is potted inside that plastic box.

Simplest solution would be to skin the heat-shrink off the BATT(-) connection, add a small (-) wire, then a piece of heat-shrink big enough (or stretched enough with a pair of needle-nose pliers) to get over the whole Deans' connector. I did it by skinning back insulation on the BATT (-) wire near the ESC and soldering to the wire inside with a wrap of Kapton tape. I do not like it at all; totes janky-looking. :P

Cheers!

mnem
 :popcorn:
« Last Edit: July 02, 2021, 08:22:49 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93471 on: July 02, 2021, 06:45:53 pm »
... and HD poly(urethane?) foam ...

Usually polyethylene, sometimes polyether. Most polyurethanes are thermosetting plastics so not hot wire cuttable.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93472 on: July 02, 2021, 06:50:03 pm »
Someone wanted a 3478? This one has no bids yet, and who knows how the seller might react to a careful offer?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154515693118

Mine arrived today via Herpes (tbf the local driver is a decent chap, but who knows what uncaring mouth-breathers might have handled it further up the chain?) with some of the best packaging I've yet seen, making the £65 shipped price all the sweeter.

Looks like he custom made the packing with a hotwire and HD poly(urethane?) foam sheets. Needless to say it arrived in the same condition that it was sent, namely somewhat old and used, but fully functional and undamaged.

Pretty impressed with that packaging actually. Nice job there  :-+

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93473 on: July 02, 2021, 06:55:26 pm »
my bet on that thing in florida is "flat slab punching shear failure".  a well understood problem with the connection between slabs and thin vertical pillars.  difficult to detect until the failure occurs (especially because the cracks would be on the top of the slabs and would be hidden under tile or flooring or carpet). 

could be lots of underlying causes.  designed wrong?  installed wrong? poor quality or wrong materials?  who knows.

scary stuff.

free range primate

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93474 on: July 02, 2021, 07:29:33 pm »

What  item?

Oops sorry, my bad, wife yelled into the lab that the freezer was defrosting so I had to dash and I forgot to post the link, so here it is

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184908937032
Who let Murphy in?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf