Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 15544733 times)

marcumr, Peter_O and 60 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #107275 on: November 22, 2021, 06:37:23 am »
Regarding "old caps": Only a phool loves those caps. Bumble bees and whatnot.

While there is something inherently genuine in hollow-state, the capacitor and the resistor are still fundamentally same, only better. I can't think of a down-side to swapping them, except possibly aesthetics.

Modern TE department: The CPX200 is 80mV low on both meters. The 2-dial coarse/fine voltage adjustment is really nice; it's very easy to dial it in compared to my UNI-T and the -hp- / Harrison ones. Amps are a bit low too. I have the service manual, so will make certain I've made that as right as I can before I declare it fit for bench.

Old TE department: Just won a Gossen Geohm low-resistance meter, intended for ground resistance measurements. Was at ~23 €, and I fully expected it to gallop into 50€ land, and set my limit accordingly. All ot took was one bid step up, 24€ plus domestic shipping.

Pic from ad:

That is the very same model of device we used to measure the integrity of the earth mat at 6WF/WN MF transmitter site  back in the day.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107276 on: November 22, 2021, 06:43:40 am »
:-DD   

Sorry I made a fool out of myself, but glad I learned something ! I mean I have zero familiarity with dual gate FETs... they aren't exactly common place compared to a regular FET or BJT...

From the late '60s, through the '70s, to the late '80s, they were, indeed, common in RF stages, mixers, etc.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107277 on: November 22, 2021, 07:58:32 am »
Found one instrument at the back of the garage that I had forgotten about. A Wavetek 191 20 MHz pulse / Function generator. Good all round instrument if you don't need digital setting accuracy.
This will be coming back into the workshop
I know that beast! When I last used it at a company from the United Technologies conglomerate, I noticed that a significant percentage of engineers are totally lacking understanding of what pulse generators can do for them. Maybe it is the naming. Using it as a pulse delay simply doesn't occur to them.
I used it in conjunction with a fast thyristor to make a short appear precisely where I wanted it - current or voltage maximum.

Funnily enough the first ask I have for it is similar. I need to produce short DC power interrupts. This is to test hold up during source switchover. The 191 is ideal. Lots of voltage to drive a MOSFET, isolated output and a manual trigger button.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #107278 on: November 22, 2021, 07:59:29 am »
Oh, Ifni save me... I fuxxoring hate spinning rust now; it is so mind-numbingly slooooooowwwwwww... |O

I could send you a couple 240Gb Intel D3-S4510 SSD's, very lightly used from work (decommissioned from servers) for the cost of shipping, but shipping to USA is either EMS ($20-30 for 1 week shipping) or on the slow boat (see you in 3 months).... Stupid covid has Japan Post suspending the cheap-fast shipping methods...  >:(
Thanks for the offer, but I have a new 500GB 870 EVO on the way via slAmazon for $65; they're just taking their sweet ol' time  (as in 2.5 days, even with Prime   :rant:) getting it to me. Wifey wanted to take over my laptop for "where are we gonna land that's good for teachers" research. :o

As you might imagine, getting hers up (and at least limping on spinning rust) online for this most important task has become a top priority. ;)

mnem
Hmmmm... anybody here know anything about cost of living in Hartford, Connecticut...?
From what I can remember from my visit to the Danbury area in Ct (which is where our main US office resides) prices were high. Mind you, it is still in the vicinity of NYC even tho that one had done a dive.

You don't want to know about anything nearer to NYC like White Sands or Mamaroneck. Mamaroneck: 3 bedroom acceptable house in decent condition was 850k about 15 yrs ago. There was a good Sushi place in Mamaroneck back then. However my (ex-) buddy Mike, a scottish highlander, cut off all ties when I told him I would be marrying Hubby with the words "I won't be bothering you".
FFS, he's married with 3 kids. I did not want to mess up his marriage (even though his wife said that I should not be flirting that obviously ...)

I did not understand his reaction back then and I don't understand it even after 15 years ...
He had a few strange addictions as well, he was collecting gas turbines ...

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107279 on: November 22, 2021, 09:07:44 am »
now for an English flat-joke ...
what do you call a dog with a surround-system ?

a sub-woofer ...
And I thought that were those really small dogs  ::)
Du meinst Fuß-Hupen.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107280 on: November 22, 2021, 09:14:55 am »
And here's the Type W plug-in. It's going to need the same cleaning as the Type 1A4. Also, going to have to read the manual and figure out it's uses. I currently have no clue...  :-//
If any of the stuff I've read or made up is true, the Type W plugin is used to characterize F-rays.  >:D

mnem

"...and for the love of God, don't let it fall into the wrong hands."

"Gamma rays on------Yobba rays on!"

"Space Patrol" ("Planet Patrol" in the "Hew Hess Hay") was a kids show from the early 1960s.

Us techies who had to watch it in later years at "attended stations" found it hilarious!

Not included in this particular video, the other phrase, "Switch to robot control", accompanied by the same stock shots of goofy looking puppet robots as seen in this clip, was a continuing delight, & became a catchphrase amongst all those who had to watch it.

Like "Fireball XL5" & "Thunderbirds", it was "so bad, it was good!"

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107281 on: November 22, 2021, 09:21:20 am »
What's wrong with collecting gas turbines  :-//

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Saskia

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107282 on: November 22, 2021, 09:24:25 am »
I was waiting for that one!

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #107283 on: November 22, 2021, 09:33:22 am »
Dana 5100 DMM Update:  I was looking over the 74188  data sheets again to check if I missed anything.   I've been mostly following the TI data book and occasionally looking at the NS databook. TI specify setting the output to be programmed to a logic low or 0V.   

All other inputs connected to 3.9k pullup resistors.   

National specify something a little different.   

Implementing the TI method is easy:   
I'd guess you should be able to tell if you have it right by whether you're able to do a dump of the chip from your programmer, right...?

mnem
 :popcorn:

Yes.   TI say verify need to program, program, verify.  TI recommend only one attempt per bit.   

The programmers I found on the web all ground the output to be programmed.  Not all were for '188s.    Not sure if any of them were used with NS '188s.   

« Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 10:21:44 am by Andrew_Debbie »

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #107284 on: November 22, 2021, 09:52:43 am »
I was looking at the wrong databook.  The NS chips I have are marked  DM8577   DM74188.    Went back and found it in the 1976 TTL handbook.

The 8577 was a proprietary part that is pin-compatible with the 74188.     Vpp is 20-22V  applied to the output.   

« Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 09:56:56 am by Andrew_Debbie »

Offline dl6lr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #107285 on: November 22, 2021, 10:19:03 am »
You can actually get some decent stereo BT speakers, but they are way more expensive than the average person wants to spend on speakers, given that they cost over double what most people would consider spending on a complete stereo unit with radio, CD, amplifier and speakers.

Buy british, it's best: https://www.linn.co.uk/de/speakers/series-3

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #107286 on: November 22, 2021, 10:42:45 am »
"Space Patrol" ("Planet Patrol" in the "Hew Hess Hay") was a kids show from the early 1960s.

Us techies who had to watch it in later years at "attended stations" found it hilarious!

Not included in this particular video, the other phrase, "Switch to robot control", accompanied by the same stock shots of goofy looking puppet robots as seen in this clip, was a continuing delight, & became a catchphrase amongst all those who had to watch it.

Hey! Don't knock Space Patrol, it has some good points!

It was JMStraczynski's (Babylon 5 etc) favourite program as a kid. It paid more attention to science and engineering than most space opera's did (and do), e.g. long journey times, not instantly being able to communicate with other species, dangerous atmospheres. It had a remarkably avant-garde soundtrack, before Dr Who. And the robots scared the bejasus out of me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Patrol_(1962_TV_series)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107287 on: November 22, 2021, 11:47:39 am »
They are a complete stereo speaker in a cabinet

That is, in my experience, impossible, unless the box is 2m+ big. (Headphones are also excluded, for obvious reasons) Proper placement of speakers is fundamental, and the compromises made to squeeze stereo into one portable box are in my strongly experience-based opinion completely unacceptable.

This is why I place speakers so we cover the intended listening area with a wide and balanced stereo picture.
Yes, it's a compromise but nonetheless, you can still hear the sounds from the left and right speakers differently. If you want perfect stereophonic effect, the only real way is for loads of dedicated speakers correctly positioned.

Take the case of an orchestra where the position of each instrument is known, then each instrument is recorded on its own channel and then the recordings synchronised and played back with each instrument having its own amplifier and speaker. Speaker to be positioned in the same location in relation to the other instruments/speakers, to reflect the original orchestra layout, but who is ever going to be able to reproduce that setup in their homes, car etc. So is it not true that what ever method of stereo reproduction is employed / size of enclosure etc, it is never going to be perfect?   :-//
« Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 11:50:55 am by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: Vince, cyclin_al

Offline Neper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #107288 on: November 22, 2021, 11:54:05 am »
So is it not true that what ever method of stereo reproduction is employed / size of enclosure etc, it is never going to be perfect?

In well over 99 precent of all listening situations two decent speakers judiciously positioned will do nicely.
If I knew everything I'd be starving because no-one could afford me.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107289 on: November 22, 2021, 12:34:32 pm »
So is it not true that what ever method of stereo reproduction is employed / size of enclosure etc, it is never going to be perfect?

In well over 99 precent of all listening situations two decent speakers judiciously positioned will do nicely.
Agreed, but it still a compromise. With my BT speaker positioned on my bench for example, directly in front of me with me, about 1 metre away, the stereo effect is good. It is about relevant positioning, the further away you are from the "sound stage", the wider the speakers need to be apart, so there is no perfect solution in reality.

As I mentioned before an orchestra, then their "sound stage" is very wide, far wider than the average living room and if a listener was present in the theatre where the orchestra was playing, will hear the music differently if they are in the front of the auditorium with certain instruments having a far wider imagery than they would if they were sitting right at the back of the auditorium. Therefore, it is always going to be a compromise, especially if people are trying to replicate a live event that they attended.

Edit:
Also, of course, people's perception of sound quality varies enormously, SWMBO for instance is perfectly happy listening to her favourite, band Westlife, on the crappy little speakers built into her iPad and will not listen to either the CD player in the lounge with proper speakers distanced nicely, nor the BT speaker system and yet she goes to their live concerts almost annually, WTF!!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 12:42:06 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107290 on: November 22, 2021, 12:41:56 pm »

nothing. I am arse-biting myself that I did not trade $someofmystuff for $oneofhisturbines ...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107291 on: November 22, 2021, 12:43:27 pm »

nothing. I am arse-biting myself that I did not trade $someofmystuff for $oneofhisturbines ...
They would have made moving even more hellish  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Neper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #107292 on: November 22, 2021, 12:44:59 pm »
As I mentioned before an orchestra, then their "sound stage" is very wide, far wider than the average living room and if a listener was present in the theatre where the orchestra was playing, will hear the music differently if they are in the front of the auditorium with certain instruments having a far wider imagery than they would if they were sitting right at the back of the auditorium. Therefore, it is always going to be a compromise, especially if people are trying to replicate a live event that they attended.

Of course it is a compromise due to not only the size of the listening room but also the achievable dynamic range under normal conditions in a residential environment. It's the job of the recording engineer to create something that will 'fit' into your living room.

Offline Neper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #107293 on: November 22, 2021, 02:11:25 pm »
They would have made moving even more hellish

...but probably a lot faster than with a simple infernal combustion engine.  :-DD
« Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 02:14:20 pm by Neper »

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #107294 on: November 22, 2021, 03:24:35 pm »
Med, at least one of them scope carts needs a dose of Krylon Gloss Bahama Sea.

Good scores.  :-+

I don't think either will need paint once I clean them up. My plan is to spray them down with a cleaner such as "Simple Green" then hose them off. Problem is at night temps are below freezing and aren't warming up too much during the day.
LOL of course I forgot you lot are just about to start freezing your gonads off whereas us downunder are about to start sweating like rapists !  :-DD
Yep, there's painting weather and NOT painting weather.

And any day now gonna wake up one morning to white stuff on the ground.  ;D

I did see white stuff today.  Mind you, there were three idle machines in the vicinity.  Last night, the machines were connected to water, compressed air and electricity  >:D

White stuff started blowing in sometime after I got up while I was in the shower this morning before I headed off to work but then stopped about a third of the way there.

That's it, vacation's over...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #107295 on: November 22, 2021, 03:37:01 pm »
And here's the Type W plug-in. It's going to need the same cleaning as the Type 1A4. Also, going to have to read the manual and figure out it's uses. I currently have no clue...  :-//
If any of the stuff I've read or made up is true, the Type W plugin is used to characterize F-rays.  >:D

mnem

"...and for the love of God, don't let it fall into the wrong hands."

"Gamma rays on------Yobba rays on!"

Yeah, it does look like the same root stock as Thunderbutts fer sherr. 

I actually watched about 4 minutes of it before I had to stop the mental degradation... jeez, you gotta be stoned out of yer gourd to watch any more than that. :-DD

One of my favorite Saturday morning imports was Star Blazers ; an American adaptation of a Japanese anime space opera centered around the crew of the IJN Yamato (yes, the one that survived atomic bomb testing) recovered and refitted as a starship to find some mystical starstuffs needed to rejuvenate a war-ravaged post-apocalyptic earth.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Blazers

It formed the beginnings of a lifelong interest in certain genres of anime; I found the serial nature of the storyline compelling and the whole notion of the IJN Yamato in deep space touched on a previously unknown reserve of nostalgia for a 12-ish year old country boy growing up in the wilds of Pittsburgh. 

*~mnemories~*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107296 on: November 22, 2021, 03:47:16 pm »
Hmmmm... anybody here know anything about cost of living in Hartford, Connecticut...?
From what I can remember from my visit to the Danbury area in Ct (which is where our main US office resides) prices were high. Mind you, it is still in the vicinity of NYC even tho that one had done a dive.

You don't want to know about anything nearer to NYC like White Sands or Mamaroneck. Mamaroneck: 3 bedroom acceptable house in decent condition was 850k about 15 yrs ago. There was a good Sushi place in Mamaroneck back then. However my (ex-) buddy Mike, a scottish highlander, cut off all ties when I told him I would be marrying Hubby with the words "I won't be bothering you".
FFS, he's married with 3 kids. I did not want to mess up his marriage (even though his wife said that I should not be flirting that obviously ...)

I did not understand his reaction back then and I don't understand it even after 15 years ...   He had a few strange addictions as well, he was collecting gas turbines ...
You should know better than to flirt with a married woman. :-DD

What we're finding is that there appears to be a decent balance of pay scale for teachers vs cost of living right now, combined with one of the best student:teacher ratios in the country, plus for me a IT boom similar to Toronto at about 3/4 the cost of living. That is, if half of what we've been able to research so far is true.  :-//

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107297 on: November 22, 2021, 03:58:58 pm »
now for an English flat-joke ...
what do you call a dog with a surround-system ?

a sub-woofer ...
And I thought that were those really small dogs  ::)
Du meinst Fuß-Hupen.

mnem
Dackel = kleine Schmerzen im Arsch
« Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 04:01:09 pm by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107298 on: November 22, 2021, 04:14:43 pm »
I was waiting for that one!
my first reaction was "Wait, what...? Saskia was married to Robert in a past life...?"

mnem
:-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #107299 on: November 22, 2021, 04:24:06 pm »
It rained and stayed above freezing here last night so the outside hose would be thawed. Took advantage of that and cleaned the 2 scope carts. "Simple Green" cleaner, scrubbed with a brush, and hosed down. IMHO they still look like crap but compared to when I started it's like night and day. They really need a complete teardown. Polish the chrome and repaint. But I'm not investing in that time and effort.

The sun will come out later and dry them out.

Edit. The capacitors for the Type 1A4 should be here Wednesday. The 8416 tube for the Type W has been ordered. No delivery date yet. I brought in one of the Type 1A1's and cleaning it up then I'll put in my Type 547 and give it a test.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 04:30:23 pm by med6753 »
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, BU508A, mnementh, ch_scr, Andrew_Debbie, mansaxel, Kosmic, cyclin_al, DH7DN

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf