Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 15227908 times)

Robert763 and 21 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #112450 on: January 27, 2022, 04:48:17 pm »

What the fuck did I just watch...?!?

mnem
 :wtf:

This maybe could help you to understand:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micmacs_(film)

:)
Yeah, I gathered most of the synopsis from watching the trailer with CC enabled. Just... couldn't wrap my brain around how the eff such a shamelessly subversive film got funded and produced...    :-DD

mnem
mimes are still a crime against humanity.

This is France! This kind of Subversiveness is part of their spirit.  ;D
And it seems that a lot of french people do have a soft spot for surreal and absurd humor (and I like it).
LOL... I guess being somewhat subversive at my center is part of what drew me to Canada. And the idea of my kids having to learn Français did weigh in the GWN's favor too. ;)

Hmmm... maybe next iteration, we should cut out the middleman and the dwagon family just invade Vince.  >:D

mnem
moo.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112451 on: January 27, 2022, 04:51:44 pm »
Fighting with the damned cardbus GPIB adapter now, I really hate Win98....

mnem
All I can say is... better thee than me, my friend. ;)
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #112452 on: January 27, 2022, 05:53:14 pm »

mnem

Didn't the command "edit wini.ini" fix everything?
Now I remember there was another .ini file that was important.

-- comment carefully selected to agitate the editor war, and to make comparison to other OS which use command line...  >:D

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #112453 on: January 27, 2022, 05:56:54 pm »
Yep, similar. The DM42 of course is a HW platform tuned to run Free42 and nothing else; the true full circle.

Thanks mansa!

You just saved me 199 CHF from my back account. I am still looking for a DM42, but it must be used and below 100$.
Maybe one day.... I still have to read the entire HP42s manual and understand/digest it, after I learn vim(or)emacs, FAR Manager (which I am liking a lot!, very useful in windows) and the entire IPv6 stuff you posted.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 06:15:18 pm by Zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline Peter_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #112454 on: January 27, 2022, 06:28:46 pm »
What's the best way to better remove the Edding markings on top and front without damaging the plastics or paint? I had some minor success with ethanol (more than IPA) and cleaning solvent ("Waschbenzin", benzine)?

I've had consistently good results with a melamine sponge and isopropanol (or 70/30 isopropanol and water if there's any suspicion that the stain has a polar component).
As a matter of fact my 'standard' cleaning solution at the moment is 70% isopropanol, 30% de-ionised water and 0.1% Benzalkonium chloride.

Try your solvents and a melamine sponge (sold in the US as a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser; not sure what it might be called in your neck of the woods).  I've had pretty good success with that method.  Usually go (in order of escalation) window cleaner, IPA, denatured alcohol, naptha for removing crud and heavy-handed magic marker 'art' from things. ...
splash of ammonia

Thx a lot so far, guys!

With a rag I worked along that order of escalation (naphta (benzine? German: "Waschbenzin"?)). Denatured alcohol working best, but not sufficiently. At least the rag got some stains of the right colour.

A melamine sponge is on my order list. Never used one. Will try next with denatured alcohol.

Seems not that easy to order pure BAC somewhere. Lots of ready made cleaning products ...

Ammonia I have at hand from cleaing black ink out of fountain pens. Wort a try.

Then there is original edding cleaning paste. https://www.amazon.de/dp/B073CF6PWW Quite expensive!

And some site recommend hair spray, which I would have to buy too.  :-DD

Long talk short: I got a pack of no name magic earaser sponges at the local store. With some denatured alcohol it has worked out fine.

First picture 'before', second 'after'.

The edding has vanished completely. The stain below the 'modify' field seems to be a coloration of the top tranparent foil by a sticker. But some battle scars are fine.

Thx again, guys!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 06:31:43 pm by Peter_O »

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, Cubdriver, BU508A, mnementh, ch_scr, mansaxel, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112455 on: January 27, 2022, 06:46:29 pm »

mnem

Didn't the command "edit wini.ini" fix everything?
Now I remember there was another .ini file that was important.

-- comment carefully selected to agitate the editor war, and to make comparison to other OS which use command line...  >:D
IIRC, it was win.ini and config.sys... and he may have to add a path statement directing to the real mode driver for the cardbus chipset.

EDIT: No, wait... Win98 had MSCONFIG; this utility brought up all 4 (Autoexec.bat, config.sys, system.ini and win.ini) in a primitive tabbed dialog box for editing and some online help. Still serves similarly as a shortcut to various tools even on Win10.

mnem
*older than interstellar dirt*
« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 07:21:05 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline Neper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #112456 on: January 27, 2022, 06:53:28 pm »
Spell checking is used by practitioners of the occult arts...

Thanks for making my - otherwise quite miserable - day. :-)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 06:55:01 pm by Neper »
If I knew everything I'd be starving because no-one could afford me.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Online Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112457 on: January 27, 2022, 07:04:23 pm »
LOL... I guess being somewhat subversive at my center is part of what drew me to Canada. And the idea of my kids having to learn Français did weigh in the GWN's favor too. ;)

Hmmm... maybe next iteration, we should cut out the middleman and the dwagon family just invade Vince>:D

mnem
moo.

Assuming I have a remote control to actually control what the Dragon is doing, then I must say I could see some uses for a dragon round here.

To begin with, energy is expensive and more and more so. So a Dragon could be used to heat the house in the winter.
Could also be used in summer time to ignite the BBQ quickly, and roast my neighbours when they are talking loud on the terrace and listen to crap rap music full blast until 3AM. Could also simply burn the entire bloody house to the ground, problem solved, no more tenants in there.

A dragon could also be handy to protect the house from intruders and burglars and what not, because the errand cat I started feeding 3 months ago, as I took him in pity... does nothing but sleep all day. I can't count on him for anything but briefly waking up every few hours to eat some treats, then immediately going back to sleep.

Yes a dragon could be nice....

« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 07:11:32 pm by Vince »

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, factory

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112458 on: January 27, 2022, 07:12:36 pm »
Spell checking is used by practitioners of the occult arts...
Heh... so you think Terra Operative trying to bind Win98 to that cardbus GPIB is occult enough...? :-DD

mnem

The following users thanked this post: Vince, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112459 on: January 27, 2022, 07:18:14 pm »

Hmmm... maybe next iteration, we should cut out the middleman and the dwagon family just invade Vince>:D

mnem
moo.

Assuming I have a remote control to actually control what the Dragon is doing, then I must say I could see some uses for a dragon round here.

To begin with, energy is expensive and more and more so. So a Dragon could be used to heat the house in the winter.
Could also be used in summer time to ignite the BBQ quickly, and roast my neighbours when they are talking loud on the terrace and listen to crap rap music full blast until 3AM. Could also simply burn the entire bloody house to the ground, problem solved, no more tenants in there.

A dragon could also be handy to protect the house from intruders and burglars and what not, because the errand cat I started feeding 3 months ago, as I took him in pity... does nothing but sleep all day. I can't count on him for anything but briefly waking up every few hours to eat some treats, then immediately going back to sleep.

Yes a dragon could be nice....
Remote control...? Sorry; SWMBO owns that. :-DD   But I can be bribed with copious amounts of dark chocolate...  ;)

mnem
oh, and croissants...

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Online Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112460 on: January 27, 2022, 07:20:22 pm »
Yes there are couple bakeries in the village, you could get a good baguette and good croissants every morning  8)

Dark chocolate no worries, you can have it all, I prefer milk chocolate  ;D

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112461 on: January 27, 2022, 07:25:12 pm »
Oh, a good baguette would be novel; what they have here is more like long skinny Ciabatta bread.  :o  Even fresh and warm from the bakery it's still hard as a rock on the heels, which is my favorite part of a proper baguette. :palm:

mnem
more a self-defense weapon than food, says I... :o

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Specmaster

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #112462 on: January 27, 2022, 07:37:15 pm »

The cat has you well trained.  They're good at that.

You need to post more pics of him in the cat thread:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/post-a-picture-of-a-cat!/

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Online Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112463 on: January 27, 2022, 08:22:32 pm »
Link doens't work, get 404 error.  I couldn't believe there was such a page on EEVBlog anyway   :o

No cat has not trained me... he only thinks he has !

Only reason he can keep his ass warm during the day is because I am jobless so am home all day long, so I am kind enough to let him stay warm and eat tons of treats (he is obese now)
What he doesn't know is that I have run out of money and will be actively searching for a new job in the coming days/weeks... so no more Vince at home to open him the door (well, the kitchen window in this case...) anymore !!!   But spring is coming fast so he shall survive without my help just fine...eating birds and coypus in the garden.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 08:24:12 pm by Vince »

Offline Atomillo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #112464 on: January 27, 2022, 08:32:16 pm »
Good news!
With the help of Kosmic, I opened the K181 and verified the preamp by placing a direct short at its terminals, which even without the thermic cover showed an offset which was a lot smaller than the 20uV (around 80nV).

The copper connectors however showed some small black dots, which I suspect to be oxide. I cleaned it the best I could with the tips used to clean ears (how are they actually called in English?).

Putting it back together revealed the offset decreased to 500nV and that the noise was well withing spec. If this situation changes I will use DeOxit and more thorough cleaning with isopropanol but for now I'm happy.

Now time to follow the instructions given in the link and try build a simple GPIB adapter with an Arduino  :-/O

Once again thanks to Kosmic for his kind help!

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al, duckduck

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #112465 on: January 27, 2022, 08:32:40 pm »
Link doens't work, get 404 error.  I couldn't believe there was such a page on EEVBlog anyway   :o

Only reason he can keep his ass warm during the day is because I am jobless so am home all day long, so I am kind enough to let him stay warm and eat tons of treats (he is obese now)
What he doesn't know is that I have run out of money and will be actively searching for a new job in the coming days/weeks... so no more Vince at home to open him the door (well, the kitchen window in this case...) anymore !!!   But spring is coming fast so he shall survive without my help just fine...eating birds and coypus in the garden.

Hmmm....  Maybe attached as a proper link it'll work.  It seems it needs the slash at the end.  Try this:

And if that doesn't work, the thread is in general/general technical chat

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Online Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112466 on: January 27, 2022, 08:33:19 pm »
Oh, a good baguette would be novel; what they have here is more like long skinny Ciabatta bread.  :o  Even fresh and warm from the bakery it's still hard as a rock on the heels, which is my favorite part of a proper baguette. :palm:

mnem
more a self-defense weapon than food, says I... :o

Well I feel for you but I am hardly surprised of course....  :-\

I gather there are a few artisans that leave France for the US (or Japan) to go open their bakery there, because even the most mundane baguette and croissant here, is 10 times better than whatever you could find there. So it doesn't take an elite baker in France to make easy money in the US... the bar is so low ! :palm:

However I fear that because they do that out of greed, that they mostly target the posh upper class in big city centers like New york or LA, so as to be able over play the " French charm " ad nauseum, because the stupid clients love it... in order to extract as much money from them as they can, with a big smile of course ! |O

So they probably sell the baguette or croissant 5 or 10 times the normal price  ::)

I guess the only way for the average US guy who wants decent bread and croissant is just to learn to do them themselves... but I guess wouldn't be economical, and too time consuming, so nobody could justify doing it  :(
Not an expert but I gather the number one factor for a good baguette vs a cheap crap one, is to let the paste settle for 24H minimum.. not practical.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #112467 on: January 27, 2022, 08:47:54 pm »

Only reason he can keep his ass warm during the day is because I am jobless so am home  all day long, so I am kind enough to let him stay warm and eat tons of treats (he is obese now)

He can stay inside! Fix up a little box and some water, he will be fine until you get home to feed him.   :)
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver

Online Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112468 on: January 27, 2022, 08:52:58 pm »

Hmmm....  Maybe attached as a proper link it'll work.  It seems it needs the slash at the end.  Try this:

And if that doesn't work, the thread is in general/general technical chat

-Pat

Oh boy, it was true then, link works  !!!  :o   45 pages long ?!  :scared:
And I see the TEA regulars already posted there recently !  :scared:

OK will post a pic or two... he just moved a little bit, was able to photograph his face, will post that.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 09:12:56 pm by Vince »

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112469 on: January 27, 2022, 08:57:36 pm »
Getting that DMMCheck was, disregarding the mechanical build, a very good idea.

The Mavo30 can be trusted:
 - measuring DC V
 - measuring AC V (100Hz)
 - measuring DC mA
and it did not get any more deviant.

The Fluke12 not so much!
 - measuring DC V
 - measuring AC V (tbdHz)  :scared:
This sick puppy will hopefully respond to a little care - or else!

Well, the Prema did what it is supposed to do - even cold after switch-on.
- measuring DC mA
- measuring AC mA (10kHz)

-- continued in following post --

The following users thanked this post: Vince, BU508A, mnementh, ch_scr, Andrew_Debbie, cyclin_al

Online Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112470 on: January 27, 2022, 09:01:38 pm »

Only reason he can keep his ass warm during the day is because I am jobless so am home  all day long, so I am kind enough to let him stay warm and eat tons of treats (he is obese now)

He can stay inside! Fix up a little box and some water, he will be fine until you get home to feed him.   :)

No space to put a little box for him (tiny house and over crowded until garage and bedroom as done), and I don't want to take the risk of him peeing or shitting anywhere if I leave him here unattended all day long, too great a risk. I don't want to deal with the consequences...
I don't want the smell either.

If I got something out of him maybe.. but I don't. Unlike the cat videos you see everywhere, this cat does NOTHING at all... he just sleeps all - day - long, I am not kidding !!!
He has zero activities, does nothing, doesn't do anything funny, no stunts, no stupid things. I can't have a conversation with him about anything...
And in the morning when I open the kitchen window, he rushes in and goes straight to the treats without even looking at me or saying hello thanks for everything.. no, nothing of the sort.
This is a one way only relationship.. it is not sustainable in the long term...
The best he can hope for, once the garage is built, if I manage to build it... would be a box for him in a corner of the garage. this way at least the smell (and hair) doesn't enter the house.

Offline Neper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #112471 on: January 27, 2022, 09:04:52 pm »
I guess the only way for the average US guy who wants decent bread and croissant is just to learn to do them themselves...

Won't help. You need the right flour for that and it seems they just don't sell that outside of France and Belgium.
If I knew everything I'd be starving because no-one could afford me.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112472 on: January 27, 2022, 09:07:45 pm »
The MetraMax12 seemed fine at first:
 - measuring DC V
 - measuring AC V (10kHz)
 - measuring Frequency (100Hz)
But the resistance ranges did not entirely satisfy me:
 - measuring 100Ohms
 - measuring 10kOhms

The M2036 did well so far, but might be a calibration candidate in the medium term.
 - measuring DC mA
 - measuring AC V (10kHz)
 - measuring AC V (100Hz)
 - measuring 100Ohms
 - measuring 10kOhms

I just did take some random pictures, not wanting to bury the thread under all those measurements, of course..
(And yes, I took them with a turnip)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 09:10:13 pm by Neomys Sapiens »

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112473 on: January 27, 2022, 09:14:32 pm »
Oh, and when doing the MetraMax12 I noticed that it would not do any current at all...need to order special 1.6A extra-fast Siba fuse for it.

And in the Fluke12 I did initially find the thing shown below.
Fortunately the goo stayed inside, but I heard that *pop*!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 09:51:01 pm by Neomys Sapiens »

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, BU508A, mnementh, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Online Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112474 on: January 27, 2022, 09:17:30 pm »
Oh, and when doing the MetraMax12 I noticed that it would not do any current at all...need to order special 1.6A extra-fast Siba fuse for it.

And in the Fluke12 I did initially find the thing sown below.
Fortunately the goo stayed inside, but I heard that *pop*!

Wow never seen or heard about 9V batteries going " pop ", impressive, thanks for sharing !  :o

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf