Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 36023003 times)

005, aeug and 2146 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline tautech

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 31968
  • Country: nz
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #117525 on: April 13, 2022, 11:17:35 am »
YES !

I don't need a desoldering tool badly enough to justify the expense right now, seeing how little use it would get.

However my hot air station, the cheap 858+ I bought for 50 Euros 4/5 years ago... that I could justify because for little money it allowed me to tackle SMD stuff which I just could not do before.
It opened a new world of possibilities for only 50 Euros.
Here Vince, Defpom got one from Banggood to compare with a older one he's had for years:


Later he does some mods to it:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
 
The following users thanked this post: Vince

Offline Ice-Tea

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3370
  • Country: be
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #117526 on: April 13, 2022, 11:19:29 am »
YES !

I don't need a desoldering tool badly enough to justify the expense right now, seeing how little use it would get.

However my hot air station, the cheap 858+ I bought for 50 Euros 4/5 years ago... that I could justify because for little money it allowed me to tackle SMD stuff which I just could not do before.
It opened a new world of possibilities for only 50 Euros.
Here Vince, Defpom got one from Banggood to compare with a older one he's had for years:


Later he does some mods to it:


Exact same one as my RS unit ;)
 

Offline tautech

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 31968
  • Country: nz
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #117527 on: April 13, 2022, 11:24:14 am »
Exact same one as my RS unit ;)
US$179.39 using the Defpom to Banggood link.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
 

Offline mnementh

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 17541
  • Country: us
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #117528 on: April 13, 2022, 11:26:28 am »
Might be worth spending a little time to check every solder joint now you've found a few bad ones....

LAst week I touched up EVERY single joint on that back plane, each and everyone ! Yet that freaking ground wire still failed....

.. because yeah, "touching up" is not good enough, you NEED to suck/wick the joint completely to expose the pad and then only can you see if the pad is tinned/good, or just bare copper that the joint didn't stick to ! So that's a lot work to do !  :scared:  :scared:  No I don't have a power desoldering tool, just wick and manual pump/solder sucker.
So I'm guessing one of 3 causes... Just some WAG here...

Improper storage and/or subsequent lack of prep on PCBs caused them to have a wee bit too much oxide layer for proper wetting.

Crappy flux and/or solder made from recycled car batteries/impure lead. I'm thinking maybe post-war shortages of lead...?

Incomplete tinning of copper (or perhaps just crappy Paxolin PCB) allowed moisture/air oxidation to sublimate under what solder was there over many years.


mnem
Hmmm... given the age of the instrument... dooya think maybe it was manufactured using dip soldering instead of wave soldering...? :o
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °
 

Offline Ice-Tea

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3370
  • Country: be
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #117529 on: April 13, 2022, 11:27:38 am »
Exact same one as my RS unit ;)
US$179.39 using the Defpom to Banggood link.

Safe to say I've been had with the RS branded unit, but if you google on ProsKit SS-331 there are a lot better deals than Defpoms, even locally inside the EU...
 
The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline Vince

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4564
  • Country: fr
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #117530 on: April 13, 2022, 11:27:43 am »
Exact same one as my RS unit ;)
US$179.39 using the Defpom to Banggood link.

OK so it's the RS one but at about half the price ! That's more like it  8)
I would call that good enough value for money in my wallet/book...

Thanks for the ideas chaps. Now need to go work outside on the garage construction, weather is nice, need to make use of it...
« Last Edit: April 13, 2022, 11:30:12 am by Vince »
 
The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 17541
  • Country: us
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #117531 on: April 13, 2022, 11:36:33 am »
It has arrived. My review: This is super cool. Get one!  :-+ :-+   
:-+   It would be interesting to see one LIXIE with the Tektronix logo evolution:   https://hackaday.io/project/18633-lixie-an-led-alternative-to-the-nixie-tube[/color

IIRC, bean was also working on something related to the LIXIE concept. Damn, I miss that Ozzie and his sarcastic wit...  :-\

mnem
Here's tooya, ya coffee-slinging ol' reprobate.      Wherever you are.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °
 

Offline Vince

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4564
  • Country: fr
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #117532 on: April 13, 2022, 11:36:57 am »
Exact same one as my RS unit ;)
US$179.39 using the Defpom to Banggood link.

Safe to say I've been had with the RS branded unit, but if you google on ProsKit SS-331 there are a lot better deals than Defpoms, even locally inside the EU...

Had a quick look on French Amazon and Ebay, same Price as Defpom. About 150/160 Euros shipped.
If you find cheaper in the Euro zone, please share !  ;D

OK gotta get some work done now... have fun people.
 

Offline Ice-Tea

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3370
  • Country: be
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
 

Offline mnementh

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 17541
  • Country: us
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #117534 on: April 13, 2022, 11:56:23 am »
YES !

I don't need a desoldering tool badly enough to justify the expense right now, seeing how little use it would get.

However my hot air station, the cheap 858+ I bought for 50 Euros 4/5 years ago... that I could justify because for little money it allowed me to tackle SMD stuff which I just could not do before.
It opened a new world of possibilities for only 50 Euros.
I'll second Saskia's suggestion that perhaps you should invest a little time in developing your hot-air & SoldaPullt desoldering technique. Cost is well... a afternoon or so, some flux and scrap PCBs. ;)

I'm of mixed opinion on desoldering stations... IME, even the good ones are a fair bit of assache when it comes time to clean the handset. The difference between the good ones and the cheap ones is how many desoldering cycles you get through before you have to stop and clean them. My Ayoue 2702 is middle-of-the-road at best.  :-//



So for most brief desoldering jobs, I'll still usually grab one of my cheap & cheerful Chinese clones of a genuine SoldaPullt (really, the only design of these that works worth a shit) as I usually already have the Metcal in my hand.

mnem
*tssssssssst*
« Last Edit: April 13, 2022, 11:59:21 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °
 

Offline mnementh

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 17541
  • Country: us
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #117535 on: April 13, 2022, 12:06:33 pm »
   If you want to improve without spending a fortune:

https://www.reichelt.com/be/nl/desoldeerpomp-elektrisch-30-w-met-verwarmingselement-vel-vtdesol3-p253395.html?PROVID=2812&gclid=CjwKCAjw6dmSBhBkEiwA_W-EoK7nJjUV_ZzMp4rtJMrQMSADpsAymioJ88af4ZNQNwMezJr-zXyNYhoCTmIQAvD_BwE

Quality is only so-so as you would expect for that price but easy of use compared to soldering iron + braid = +1000%
Oh gawrd... I think that gave me eye cancer.  ;)   

Those cheap Chinesium desoldering pumps are just the worst; I get the feeling that adding a $2 Chinesium soldering iron to it is going to be more like The Worst2...    :-DD

See my post above.  :P

mnem
 :-/O
« Last Edit: April 13, 2022, 12:08:56 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °
 

Offline Neper

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 543
  • Country: de
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #117536 on: April 13, 2022, 12:23:40 pm »
I've got this one:

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/223636948431

Does what it's supposed to do.
If I knew everything I'd be starving because no-one could afford me.
 

Offline Ice-Tea

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3370
  • Country: be
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #117537 on: April 13, 2022, 12:26:22 pm »
   If you want to improve without spending a fortune:

https://www.reichelt.com/be/nl/desoldeerpomp-elektrisch-30-w-met-verwarmingselement-vel-vtdesol3-p253395.html?PROVID=2812&gclid=CjwKCAjw6dmSBhBkEiwA_W-EoK7nJjUV_ZzMp4rtJMrQMSADpsAymioJ88af4ZNQNwMezJr-zXyNYhoCTmIQAvD_BwE

Quality is only so-so as you would expect for that price but easy of use compared to soldering iron + braid = +1000%
Oh gawrd... I think that gave me eye cancer.  ;)   

Those cheap Chinesium desoldering pumps are just the worst; I get the feeling that adding a $2 Chinesium soldering iron to it is going to be more like The Worst2...    :-DD

See my post above.  :P

mnem
 :-/O

I had one of those. Worked fairly well. It failed bt that was my mistake. The front is screwed on the pump part with some selftappers in plastic. Good enough (but not great) unless you stick in a soldering iron holder when it's on. The hot/weakened plastic doesn't handle the momentum well.

Wouldn't leave it on when leaving the house but it does the job fairly well otherwise.
 
The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline TERRA Operative

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4084
  • Country: jp
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #117538 on: April 13, 2022, 12:31:38 pm »
I see TM500, I buy TM500....  :palm:
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/
 
The following users thanked this post: Vince, BU508A, med6753, mnementh, capt bullshot, Neomys Sapiens, ch_scr, mansaxel, cyclin_al, syau

Offline tggzzz

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 23122
  • Country: gb
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #117539 on: April 13, 2022, 01:58:33 pm »
I'm of mixed opinion on desoldering stations... IME, even the good ones are a fair bit of assache when it comes time to clean the handset. The difference between the good ones and the cheap ones is how many desoldering cycles you get through before you have to stop and clean them.

There's truth to that, but there is a counterbalancing parameter: how long it takes to clean it out.

I've found these to be good. It is fast to clean: just pull it out and push it in (no unscrewing), and squeeze it to loosen blobs in the silicone tube. Flexible silicone tip deforms to where you need it to go.  Plus they aren't expensive :)
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/desoldering-reworking-tools/3437253
« Last Edit: April 13, 2022, 02:02:35 pm by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less
 

Offline tggzzz

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 23122
  • Country: gb
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #117540 on: April 13, 2022, 02:01:32 pm »
If you want to improve without spending a fortune:

https://www.reichelt.com/be/nl/desoldeerpomp-elektrisch-30-w-met-verwarmingselement-vel-vtdesol3-p253395.html?PROVID=2812&gclid=CjwKCAjw6dmSBhBkEiwA_W-EoK7nJjUV_ZzMp4rtJMrQMSADpsAymioJ88af4ZNQNwMezJr-zXyNYhoCTmIQAvD_BwE

Quality is only so-so as you would expect for that price but easy of use compared to soldering iron + braid = +1000%

I have something similar.

It is so hot that I don't want to use it for fine-pitch PCBs. It is better when powered from a variac, twiddled appropriately.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less
 

Offline Specmaster

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 14488
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #117541 on: April 13, 2022, 02:05:32 pm »
I've got this one:

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/223636948431

Does what it's supposed to do.
Yep, that is the same one I have as well but with a different brand name on it. Works very well and comes with a selection of different size tips/nozzles.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi
 

Offline Specmaster

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 14488
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #117542 on: April 13, 2022, 02:10:23 pm »
   If you want to improve without spending a fortune:

https://www.reichelt.com/be/nl/desoldeerpomp-elektrisch-30-w-met-verwarmingselement-vel-vtdesol3-p253395.html?PROVID=2812&gclid=CjwKCAjw6dmSBhBkEiwA_W-EoK7nJjUV_ZzMp4rtJMrQMSADpsAymioJ88af4ZNQNwMezJr-zXyNYhoCTmIQAvD_BwE

Quality is only so-so as you would expect for that price but easy of use compared to soldering iron + braid = +1000%
Oh gawrd... I think that gave me eye cancer.  ;)   

Those cheap Chinesium desoldering pumps are just the worst; I get the feeling that adding a $2 Chinesium soldering iron to it is going to be more like The Worst2...    :-DD

See my post above.  :P

mnem
 :-/O
I also have one of these but seldom use it, prefer to fire up the big boy  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi
 

Offline Specmaster

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 14488
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #117543 on: April 13, 2022, 02:13:12 pm »
Just posted another short video clip up on YT of where I was last Saturday, before I repaired the cassette deck, if anyone is interested, here is the link.

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi
 
The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 17541
  • Country: us
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #117544 on: April 13, 2022, 02:17:42 pm »
Boring Just for Fun Everyday Print #312: Sword Gamepiece   


     

So the other day my son decided he wanted a Claymore sword as a gamepiece...  :o   Took us a good 30-40 minutes to draw this up, and because it is small (base diameter 30mm/75mm height), and I wanted it be sharp-ish looking, and I knew I'd need to get some infill grid inside the blade itself, I decided it was time to get into the finest setting available on the profile for 0.40 nozzle: 0.12mm LH. That's 625 layers!   

So came about a fair bit of work tuning and tweaking the CR6-SE... it had gone a bit rough after the move. All that work paid off however... 3rd iteration printed beautifully! My son and I are both dead chuffed with the results. Honestly, I'm amazed we can get this level of precision from a V-roller build at all. 

As always; for those who care, full details and 3DP Nerd-stats can be found on the 3DP Thread.

Cheers!  ;D

mnem
« Last Edit: April 13, 2022, 03:29:17 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °
 
The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, ch_scr, cyclin_al, BILLPOD

Online ch_scr

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 942
  • Country: de
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #117545 on: April 13, 2022, 02:27:32 pm »
Boring Just for Fun Everyday Print #312: Sword Gamepiece   


     

So the other day my son decided he wanted a Claymore sword as a gamepiece...  :o   Took us a good 30-40 minutes to draw this up, and because it is small (base diameter 30mm/75mm height), and I wanted it be sharp-ish looking, and I knew I'd need to get some infill grid inside the blade itself, I decided it was time to get into the finest setting available on the profile for 0.40 nozzle: 0.12mm LH. That's 625 layers!   

So came about a fair bit of work tuning and tweaking the CR6-SE... it had gone a bit rough after the move. All that work paid off however... 3rd iteration printed beautifully! My son and I are both dead chuffed with the results. Honestly, I'm amazed we can get this level of precision from a V-roller build at all. 



As always; for those who care, full details and 3DP Nerd-stats can be found on the 3DP Thread.

Cheers!  ;D

mnem

Looks very nice, good job on the drawing and on the printing!  :clap:
 
The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Neomys Sapiens

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3268
  • Country: de
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #117546 on: April 13, 2022, 02:42:39 pm »
I see TM500, I buy TM500....  :palm:
Slightly envious...
Although you missed a tiny fact: shouldn't that have read I see TM5000, I buy TM5000....?
 

Offline TERRA Operative

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4084
  • Country: jp
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #117547 on: April 13, 2022, 02:44:07 pm »
I see TM500, I buy TM500....  :palm:
Slightly envious...
Although you missed a tiny fact: shouldn't that have read I see TM5000, I buy TM5000....?


Eehh, what's an extra zero between friends?  ;D

Currently I'm updating the firmware on my newly acquired TDS784D from v6.4e to 7.4e.
I also have the Jitter Analysis, Eye Diagram Measurement and Communications Eye Diagram Measurement, and Enhanced Printing apps installed and working. :D
One day I'll find the Power Analysis (used with a current clamp) and disk drive measurement apps too, one day...
« Last Edit: April 13, 2022, 02:48:56 pm by TERRA Operative »
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/
 
The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline Neomys Sapiens

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3268
  • Country: de
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #117548 on: April 13, 2022, 02:48:50 pm »
I see TM500, I buy TM500....  :palm:
Slightly envious...
Although you missed a tiny fact: shouldn't that have read I see TM5000, I buy TM5000....?


Eehh, what's an extra zero between friends?  ;D
That depends on whether you have a fitting mainframe or not!  :-//
 

Offline TERRA Operative

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4084
  • Country: jp
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #117549 on: April 13, 2022, 02:49:38 pm »
I see TM500, I buy TM500....  :palm:
Slightly envious...
Although you missed a tiny fact: shouldn't that have read I see TM5000, I buy TM5000....?


Eehh, what's an extra zero between friends?  ;D
That depends on whether you have a fitting mainframe or not!  :-//

I got three TM5006 mainframes. :D hahahaha

Too much stuff, help meeeeeee!
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/
 


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf

 

-->