Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 36008528 times)

Vince and 2185 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Saskia

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 2893
  • Country: de
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #117775 on: April 16, 2022, 05:57:23 pm »
ok, I paid hundred Pesos for the Keithley 2700. The display is bright, handles, ... are missing, cards and slot covers are missing. Had to reset to Factory defaults, last calibration was in 2018. Fuzz sez it aint stolen, at least they cannot tell.
Does this get me in cookie territory ?

 
The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline med6753

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 11346
  • Country: us
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #117776 on: April 16, 2022, 06:01:16 pm »
ok, I paid hundred Pesos for the Keithley 2700. The display is bright, handles, ... are missing, cards and slot covers are missing. Had to reset to Factory defaults, last calibration was in 2018. Fuzz sez it aint stolen, at least they cannot tell.
Does this get me in cookie territory ?

I'm not the official cookie distributor but I can accommodate you.  :-+ ;D

An old gray beard with an attitude.
 
The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, Neomys Sapiens

Offline AVGresponding

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 5477
  • Country: england
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #117777 on: April 16, 2022, 06:20:24 pm »
Atonality abounds
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT
 

Offline med6753

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 11346
  • Country: us
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #117778 on: April 16, 2022, 06:27:37 pm »
Atonality abounds

Had to look that up. New word for me. Would a good description of atonality music be a cat walking across a keyboard?   :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.
 

Offline Saskia

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 2893
  • Country: de
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #117779 on: April 16, 2022, 06:55:09 pm »
he means discord.
Even tho Hubby asked me if the cat was dead yet when I snorted into the saxophone mouthpiece ...
 
The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al, AVGresponding

Offline Specmaster

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 14488
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #117780 on: April 16, 2022, 06:57:42 pm »
Personally, I run diesel and have done for decades. You get far greater torque at lower RPM, far greater MPG and is possibly the safest liquid fuel around that has to be a major benefit, doesn't ignite very easily, has a high flash point and does not evaporate unlike petrol, so presents a far lower risk of explosion.
The diesel engine was developed (as in he saw the problem and poured money into the development) by Henry Ford who, even back then, could see humanity at this point in the fossil fuel death spiral. He specifically wanted an engine that could run on corn and peanut oils, such that it would be a sustainable technology.  :-+

Sadly, even if he'd been successful in converting the masses to such power as the "new standard", we would still have all the same problems of burning stuff for fuel. Though it would be interesting to conjecture how much sooner technologies like computerized fuel injection and even catalytic scrubbing would have been developed just to make these engines something the general public could live with.

We might be many minutes further away from midnight on that big clock by now...  :-//

mnem


No and No, I can't let you have that one I'm afraid, the inventor of the diesel engine was Rudolf Diesel, a German. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudolf_Diesel



 
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi
 

Offline AVGresponding

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 5477
  • Country: england
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #117781 on: April 16, 2022, 06:59:19 pm »
Personally, I run diesel and have done for decades. You get far greater torque at lower RPM, far greater MPG and is possibly the safest liquid fuel around that has to be a major benefit, doesn't ignite very easily, has a high flash point and does not evaporate unlike petrol, so presents a far lower risk of explosion.
The diesel engine was developed (as in he saw the problem and poured money into the development) by Henry Ford who, even back then, could see humanity at this point in the fossil fuel death spiral. He specifically wanted an engine that could run on corn and peanut oils, such that it would be a sustainable technology.  :-+

Sadly, even if he'd been successful in converting the masses to such power as the "new standard", we would still have all the same problems of burning stuff for fuel. Though it would be interesting to conjecture how much sooner technologies like computerized fuel injection and even catalytic scrubbing would have been developed just to make these engines something the general public could live with.

We might be many minutes further away from midnight on that big clock by now...  :-//

mnem


No and No, I can't let you have that one I'm afraid, the inventor of the diesel engine was Rudolf Diesel, a German. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudolf_Diesel

 

Come to discord and swear at him in person!   :popcorn:
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT
 

Offline Specmaster

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 14488
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #117782 on: April 16, 2022, 07:01:53 pm »
Personally, I run diesel and have done for decades. You get far greater torque at lower RPM, far greater MPG and is possibly the safest liquid fuel around that has to be a major benefit, doesn't ignite very easily, has a high flash point and does not evaporate unlike petrol, so presents a far lower risk of explosion.
The diesel engine was developed (as in he saw the problem and poured money into the development) by Henry Ford who, even back then, could see humanity at this point in the fossil fuel death spiral. He specifically wanted an engine that could run on corn and peanut oils, such that it would be a sustainable technology.  :-+

Sadly, even if he'd been successful in converting the masses to such power as the "new standard", we would still have all the same problems of burning stuff for fuel. Though it would be interesting to conjecture how much sooner technologies like computerized fuel injection and even catalytic scrubbing would have been developed just to make these engines something the general public could live with.

We might be many minutes further away from midnight on that big clock by now...  :-//

mnem


No and No, I can't let you have that one I'm afraid, the inventor of the diesel engine was Rudolf Diesel, a German. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudolf_Diesel

 

Come to discord and swear at him in person!   :popcorn:
I will if I get around to it, currently researching the problem with my ABS system  |O
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi
 

Offline AVGresponding

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 5477
  • Country: england
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #117783 on: April 16, 2022, 10:58:10 pm »
Too late, Discord is now just myself and Neomys, griping about the state of the world.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT
 

Offline cyclin_al

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 856
  • Country: ca
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #117784 on: April 17, 2022, 12:58:28 am »
Let me continue the griping...

I started off the morning before breakfast with a quick email check and got bombarded with advertisements  :wtf:
That could only mean one thing, that the Pi-Hole has failed.  If it goes offline, then there is no DNS to successfully connect to the internet.  So, it had to be something more insidious than just going offline.

Going to http://192.168.0.10/admin gave me an address not found error.  Looks like Pi-Hole is offline?  :-//
ping 192.168.0.10 gave me sub millisecond response.  Okay, so it is still online?   :-//
I spent the day checking the connection of the Pi-Hole, the router, the switch and my usual computer.
Nothing made sense?
Do I have a virus on my computer?  Is there a virus on the modem, router, file server or switch?
Everything got updated and scanned, especially now that DOH is being introduced on some things.  Nope; that did not help.
Physically unplugging the Pi-Hole did not change anything; something was still answering pings and http to that address would not work.
Out of desperation after supper I started pulling ethernet cables.
That gave me results almost immediately.
My computer is connected directly to the router, due to close proximity.  With a non Pi-Hole DNS entry in the router, my computer started working again.   :phew:
ping 192.168.0.10 is now failing with the Pi-Hole disconnected.  Finally, something makes sense!
If only I had thought earlier that something else could be spoofing/colliding with the Pi-Hole on 192.168.0.10!
In just a few minutes I disconnected and reconnected various cables and found the culprit.
SWMBO's ultra secured work computer on 192.168.0.153 was responding to requests meant to go to 192.168.0.10.
I can only assume her computer was pushing all DNS requests through its VPN to her office.  :scared:

SWMBO is now banned from putting her work computer on the home network.
At least until Tuesday....  |O
Can I bill her work for 11 hours of overtime during a national holiday? Of course not  :horse:

Finally, Pi-Hole is back up and running and no more ads.
It is important to filter out those ads.  50% less data on a slow connection is significant!

Maybe tomorrow will be the day to check the internal HP DMM battery...
 
The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr

Offline mnementh

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 17541
  • Country: us
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #117785 on: April 17, 2022, 01:14:11 am »
Personally, I run diesel and have done for decades. You get far greater torque at lower RPM, far greater MPG and is possibly the safest liquid fuel around that has to be a major benefit, doesn't ignite very easily, has a high flash point and does not evaporate unlike petrol, so presents a far lower risk of explosion.
The diesel engine was developed (as in he saw the problem and poured money into the development) by Henry Ford who, even back then, could see humanity at this point in the fossil fuel death spiral. He specifically wanted an engine that could run on corn and peanut oils, such that it would be a sustainable technology.  :-+

Sadly, even if he'd been successful in converting the masses to such power as the "new standard", we would still have all the same problems of burning stuff for fuel. Though it would be interesting to conjecture how much sooner technologies like computerized fuel injection and even catalytic scrubbing would have been developed just to make these engines something the general public could live with.

We might be many minutes further away from midnight on that big clock by now...  :-//

mnem

No and No, I can't let you have that one I'm afraid, the inventor of the diesel engine was Rudolf Diesel, a German. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudolf_Diesel

Jeebus, Spec... Dooya really think I don't know who Rudolf Diesel was...?  :palm:

I didn't say Ford invented it... I very specifically said he poured money into developing it. Specifically, to make it a viable engine for use in automobiles. He funded research and development of both diesel technology and alcohol as fuel, and many prototype vehicles made heavy use of hemp as a source of oil refined into fuel and  as a source of fiber for body parts.

mnem
*toddles off to do something constructive*
« Last Edit: April 17, 2022, 01:20:36 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °
 

Offline Specmaster

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 14488
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #117786 on: April 17, 2022, 01:19:54 am »
Too late, Discord is now just myself and Neomys, griping about the state of the world.
Yeah, been trying to resolve that ABS issue which triggers loads of other alerts and makes the dash light  up like a bleeding christmas tree. Old sensor showed 7.5M \$\Omega\$ resistance and the new sourced one made by Hella, comes in at 3.5M \$\Omega\$. According to research done so far it seems that these sensors should be around 1.2K \$\Omega\$.  :wtf:

So as its a bank holiday Monday, I'll have to wait until Tuesday to return it and hopefully get to test their sensors before I accept another to take home and test before fitting,  :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi
 

Offline Specmaster

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 14488
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #117787 on: April 17, 2022, 01:28:24 am »

Jeebus, Spec... Dooya really think I don't know who Rudolf Diesel was...?  :palm:

I didn't say Ford invented it... I very specifically said he poured money into developing it. Specifically, to make it a viable engine for use in automobiles. He funded research and development of both diesel technology and alcohol as fuel, and many prototype vehicles made heavy use of hemp as a source of oil refined into fuel and  as a source of fiber for body parts.

mnem
*toddles off to do something constructive*
Well I did think it was rather odd, but good old Enery was only one of many people pouring money into developing the engine to make it suitable for cars, and as per the video, Citroën were the first to come up with a diesel powered car.  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi
 

Offline AVGresponding

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 5477
  • Country: england
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #117788 on: April 17, 2022, 01:33:05 am »
Too late, Discord is now just myself and Neomys, griping about the state of the world.
Yeah, been trying to resolve that ABS issue which triggers loads of other alerts and makes the dash light  up like a bleeding christmas tree. Old sensor showed 7.5M \$\Omega\$ resistance and the new sourced one made by Hella, comes in at 3.5M \$\Omega\$. According to research done so far it seems that these sensors should be around 1.2K \$\Omega\$.  :wtf:

So as its a bank holiday Monday, I'll have to wait until Tuesday to return it and hopefully get to test their sensors before I accept another to take home and test before fitting,  :palm:

You might want to check the wheel-side connections; my Inshitnia had a cable wear almost completely through due to a CV boot clip having a sharp edge protruding.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT
 

Offline AVGresponding

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 5477
  • Country: england
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #117789 on: April 17, 2022, 01:36:05 am »

Jeebus, Spec... Dooya really think I don't know who Rudolf Diesel was...?  :palm:

I didn't say Ford invented it... I very specifically said he poured money into developing it. Specifically, to make it a viable engine for use in automobiles. He funded research and development of both diesel technology and alcohol as fuel, and many prototype vehicles made heavy use of hemp as a source of oil refined into fuel and  as a source of fiber for body parts.

mnem
*toddles off to do something constructive*
Well I did think it was rather odd, but good old Enery was only one of many people pouring money into developing the engine to make it suitable for cars, and as per the video, Citroën were the first to come up with a diesel powered car.  :-+

Not sure any non-UK folks will get the "Enery" reference, meaning Henry (it's a reference to "Our 'Enery, Henry Cooper).
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT
 
The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline vk6zgo

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 8108
  • Country: au
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #117790 on: April 17, 2022, 02:46:48 am »
Even if you get a personal recommendation from someone for a "consumer" tradesperson, the recommender isn't usually well qualified to judge the work, so bad tradespeople can carry on getting work. Robert's situation however, with an insurance company that ought to have its own qualified people to assess the work of contractors, is inexcusable. One would expect the insurance company to quickly weed out any cowboys doing work on their behalf.

Parents had an unpleasantly clogged drain that I had failed to clear. Domestic insurance policy covered blocked drains, so I invoked it - warning them it wasn't a simple job.

First Dynorod person had a bit of bent wire that was less effective than mine, and wasn't qualified to use anything more interesting.

Second Dynorod person had skills to use power tool, but didn't have them available.

Third Dynorod person had skills and some equipment, but still failed.

I got in a local contractor that worked first time. Didn't renew the blocked drains clause.

Conclusion: insurance companies are full of pen-pushing incompetants whose sole function is to employ big nationwide) companies.
Conclusion: I/we know more than most of the population; that makes it difficult for us. Either we do something ourselves, or we have to spend time/energy finding someone that is more competent than us.

Or, we think "they can't all be stupid or crooked", & "go with the flow", giving the job to some well advertised firm.
Then, of course, having spent a "King's Ransom", we have to spend more, doing it again, when the "professional's" job failed after a couple of weeks! >:(

Many years back, the clutch started slipping badly on my car, so I duly sent it to a "specialist".
They took ages, then when I got it back, it lasted for about 2 months, before starting to slip, halfway through a 7 day run of "afternoon shifts".
It didn't make it to the end, & marooned me in the middle of the city, so I had to get it towed home & a taxi to work.

When I pulled the gearbox off, I found the friction material all chewed up in the bottom of the clutch housing, & large radial cracks across the flywheel, meaning I had to pull the engine out.

It turned out that they had "skimmed" about 1/8" off the flywheel, instead of the few tens of "thou"  they were supposed to, as well as using a normal lathe cutting tool instead of a grinding tool, hence the "stress cracks". :wtf:
To make up for the overskimmed flywheel, the clutch adjustment had been wound in as far as possible, so everything worked for a while.

Even buying everything new, including a new flywheel & pressure plate, it still cost less to do it myself.

People asked " Why didn't you take it back?"-----my answer was "They stuffed it the first time, why would they do any better it I let them get their mitts on it again?"

I have found competent people  over the years since then, but a lot of useless drones have taken my money too.---You get tired of being a suspicious old bugger! >:( >:(

Most recently, Telstra :-BROKE took 7 years to replace a faulty phone lead in cable that would have been done the first day, back when I worked for their predecessor. :palm: :palm:

« Last Edit: April 17, 2022, 02:48:29 am by vk6zgo »
 
The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline vk6zgo

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 8108
  • Country: au
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #117791 on: April 17, 2022, 02:51:30 am »
he means discord.
Even tho Hubby asked me if the cat was dead yet when I snorted into the saxophone mouthpiece ...
Hubbies very occasionally have a "win"-------but we suffer for it afterward!
 
The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline vk6zgo

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 8108
  • Country: au
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #117792 on: April 17, 2022, 03:00:06 am »
Personally, I run diesel and have done for decades. You get far greater torque at lower RPM, far greater MPG and is possibly the safest liquid fuel around that has to be a major benefit, doesn't ignite very easily, has a high flash point and does not evaporate unlike petrol, so presents a far lower risk of explosion.
The diesel engine was developed (as in he saw the problem and poured money into the development) by Henry Ford who, even back then, could see humanity at this point in the fossil fuel death spiral. He specifically wanted an engine that could run on corn and peanut oils, such that it would be a sustainable technology.  :-+

Sadly, even if he'd been successful in converting the masses to such power as the "new standard", we would still have all the same problems of burning stuff for fuel. Though it would be interesting to conjecture how much sooner technologies like computerized fuel injection and even catalytic scrubbing would have been developed just to make these engines something the general public could live with.

We might be many minutes further away from midnight on that big clock by now...  :-//

mnem

No and No, I can't let you have that one I'm afraid, the inventor of the diesel engine was Rudolf Diesel, a German. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudolf_Diesel

Jeebus, Spec... Dooya really think I don't know who Rudolf Diesel was...?  :palm:

I didn't say Ford invented it... I very specifically said he poured money into developing it. Specifically, to make it a viable engine for use in automobiles. He funded research and development of both diesel technology and alcohol as fuel, and many prototype vehicles made heavy use of hemp as a source of oil refined into fuel and  as a source of fiber for body parts.

mnem
*toddles off to do something constructive*

Well, Henry has as good a claim as James Watt had for the steam engine, or the other James (Cook) for "*discovering" Australia!

*The Australian indigenous people may well say, "What are we---chopped liver?"
 
The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 14488
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #117793 on: April 17, 2022, 07:46:21 am »
Too late, Discord is now just myself and Neomys, griping about the state of the world.
Yeah, been trying to resolve that ABS issue which triggers loads of other alerts and makes the dash light  up like a bleeding christmas tree. Old sensor showed 7.5M \$\Omega\$ resistance and the new sourced one made by Hella, comes in at 3.5M \$\Omega\$. According to research done so far it seems that these sensors should be around 1.2K \$\Omega\$.  :wtf:

So as its a bank holiday Monday, I'll have to wait until Tuesday to return it and hopefully get to test their sensors before I accept another to take home and test before fitting,  :palm:

You might want to check the wheel-side connections; my Inshitnia had a cable wear almost completely through due to a CV boot clip having a sharp edge protruding.
Connections are fine, cable looks like its fairly new, certainly not looking like an 8.5 years old, neither does the underside of the car, I never noticed any sign of rust while under it, so that's looking good for many more years to come yet. I stuck my meter probes in the socket and there is 13.8V there with the engine running, so the wiring is OK. Someone on the Škoda forum has kindly sent me the connections on the connector to the ABS controller, which details which pins are what so once I have managed to locate and gain access to that, I can check the other sensor readings.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi
 

Offline AVGresponding

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 5477
  • Country: england
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #117794 on: April 17, 2022, 10:47:58 am »
Too late, Discord is now just myself and Neomys, griping about the state of the world.
Yeah, been trying to resolve that ABS issue which triggers loads of other alerts and makes the dash light  up like a bleeding christmas tree. Old sensor showed 7.5M \$\Omega\$ resistance and the new sourced one made by Hella, comes in at 3.5M \$\Omega\$. According to research done so far it seems that these sensors should be around 1.2K \$\Omega\$.  :wtf:

So as its a bank holiday Monday, I'll have to wait until Tuesday to return it and hopefully get to test their sensors before I accept another to take home and test before fitting,  :palm:

You might want to check the wheel-side connections; my Inshitnia had a cable wear almost completely through due to a CV boot clip having a sharp edge protruding.
Connections are fine, cable looks like its fairly new, certainly not looking like an 8.5 years old, neither does the underside of the car, I never noticed any sign of rust while under it, so that's looking good for many more years to come yet. I stuck my meter probes in the socket and there is 13.8V there with the engine running, so the wiring is OK. Someone on the Škoda forum has kindly sent me the connections on the connector to the ABS controller, which details which pins are what so once I have managed to locate and gain access to that, I can check the other sensor readings.

Have you checked the physical state of the reluctor ring?
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT
 

Offline Cerebus

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 10576
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #117795 on: April 17, 2022, 11:49:18 am »
Too late, Discord is now just myself and Neomys, griping about the state of the world.
Yeah, been trying to resolve that ABS issue which triggers loads of other alerts and makes the dash light  up like a bleeding christmas tree. Old sensor showed 7.5M \$\Omega\$ resistance and the new sourced one made by Hella, comes in at 3.5M \$\Omega\$. According to research done so far it seems that these sensors should be around 1.2K \$\Omega\$.  :wtf:

So as its a bank holiday Monday, I'll have to wait until Tuesday to return it and hopefully get to test their sensors before I accept another to take home and test before fitting,  :palm:

You haven't explicitly said, but I'm assuming this what you're talking about is an inductive sensor for the ABS that senses the passing of a toothed ring on the wheel shaft.

Beware  of the DC resistance readings that people are telling you and of the ones you're taking yourself. Some multimeters give misleading resistance readings if you're taking DC resistance measurements of an inductor - the inductive load can make the resistance range current source unstable. I've seen it on both el cheapo and very expensive multimeters. If you're seeing anything other than a rock steady reading, particularly if the reading takes a longish time to settle, don't trust it. In the same vein, there's quite a risk with readings taken by other people who might be more comfortable with a 10mm AF spanner than they are with a multimeter.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?
 
The following users thanked this post: mnementh, ch_scr

Online ch_scr

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 942
  • Country: de
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #117796 on: April 17, 2022, 11:58:34 am »
Too late, Discord is now just myself and Neomys, griping about the state of the world.
Yeah, been trying to resolve that ABS issue which triggers loads of other alerts and makes the dash light  up like a bleeding christmas tree. Old sensor showed 7.5M \$\Omega\$ resistance and the new sourced one made by Hella, comes in at 3.5M \$\Omega\$. According to research done so far it seems that these sensors should be around 1.2K \$\Omega\$.  :wtf:

So as its a bank holiday Monday, I'll have to wait until Tuesday to return it and hopefully get to test their sensors before I accept another to take home and test before fitting,  :palm:

You haven't explicitly said, but I'm assuming this what you're talking about is an inductive sensor for the ABS that senses the passing of a toothed ring on the wheel shaft.

Beware  of the DC resistance readings that people are telling you and of the ones you're taking yourself. Some multimeters give misleading resistance readings if you're taking DC resistance measurements of an inductor - the inductive load can make the resistance range current source unstable. I've seen it on both el cheapo and very expensive multimeters. If you're seeing anything other than a rock steady reading, particularly if the reading takes a longish time to settle, don't trust it. In the same vein, there's quite a risk with readings taken by other people who might be more comfortable with a 10mm AF spanner than they are with a multimeter.
Good catch, something overlooked often! But here, the answer is easy - just use an LCR meter for the reading, check inductance and resistance at the same time - I've heard the DE-5000 is quite good if you have no handheld one (yet)  >:D
 
The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Online TERRA Operative

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4084
  • Country: jp
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #117797 on: April 17, 2022, 12:00:03 pm »
Ugh, mixing and matching all the best parts I have here into the TDS784D I just got, and now the optional TV trigger board is busted, causing the scope to hang on boot.

Hopefully it's just the crystal on this board and I can fix it easily.
I know that the crystal for the video chipon the Processor board is a known failure point so I'm suspicious about the one on this option board...
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/
 

Online TERRA Operative

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4084
  • Country: jp
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #117798 on: April 17, 2022, 12:00:48 pm »
.....I've heard the DE-5000 is quite good if you have no handheld one (yet)  >:D

I'll vote +1 for the DE-5000, it's a good unit.
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/
 
The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Cerebus

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 10576
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #117799 on: April 17, 2022, 12:53:13 pm »
Good catch, something overlooked often! But here, the answer is easy - just use an LCR meter for the reading, check inductance and resistance at the same time - I've heard the DE-5000 is quite good if you have no handheld one (yet)  >:D

Agreed, but it's not a great help if you're relying on matching DC resistance values supplied by the manufacturer, or by an enthusiast on a car forum who's more "spanners" than "sparks". It's one of those situations where if the manufacturer says "measure the part using a Fluke 27" or somesuch that you actually need the same instrument to make a valid, comparable reading.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?
 
The following users thanked this post: mnementh


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf

 

-->