Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 15288706 times)

doktor pyta and 15 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #119700 on: May 14, 2022, 03:42:20 pm »
Well this is a pleasant surprise. The macOS version of LTspice is, well how shall we say, crap. Turns out the Windows one actually works better on arm64 macOS (with Crossover) than it does on x86-64 windows 10 with the high DPI shenanigans going on. Also crossover comes with a package manager so you can just run it in that  :-+

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, ch_scr

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #119701 on: May 14, 2022, 04:21:22 pm »
ok, the DP47f is experiencing technical oopsies.
therefore I decided to find a workaround ..
which is a DP37f and a Revox B 790 as a backup ...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline paschulke2

• Contributor
« Reply #119702 on: May 14, 2022, 04:45:52 pm »
Well this is a pleasant surprise. The macOS version of LTspice is, well how shall we say, crap.
Agreed.
Turns out the Windows one actually works better on arm64 macOS (with Crossover) than it does on x86-64 windows 10 with the high DPI shenanigans going on.
Yes, but unfortunately only until Apple removes Rosetta 2 from Mac OS. My Guess: Monterey + 2 = No more Rosetta 2. Remember Rosetta and the transition from Power PC to Intel.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #119703 on: May 14, 2022, 05:35:14 pm »
Hmmmm... mnem..?

Bastards been robbing my outhouse!  :o

I need that slurry; nothing else will fertilize my floating toadstools!
Widdout it, they're just... regular amphibian butt-perches!!! :rant:

mnem

alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119704 on: May 14, 2022, 05:56:40 pm »
Well this is a pleasant surprise. The macOS version of LTspice is, well how shall we say, crap. Turns out the Windows one actually works better on arm64 macOS (with Crossover) than it does on x86-64 windows 10 with the high DPI shenanigans going on. Also crossover comes with a package manager so you can just run it in that  :-+

Well I guess simulation is your best way to solve your real estate problem : no need for actual space hungry TE and component cabinets.... it's all in the laptop !!!  >:D

Want to play with simulation too, later. Lab and house still aren't to that point just yet.

I think the first and last time I used Spice was at Uni in Hatfield between 1998/2001. Only very, very vague recollections...

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119705 on: May 14, 2022, 06:13:43 pm »
Well this is a pleasant surprise. The macOS version of LTspice is, well how shall we say, crap.
Agreed.
Turns out the Windows one actually works better on arm64 macOS (with Crossover) than it does on x86-64 windows 10 with the high DPI shenanigans going on.
Yes, but unfortunately only until Apple removes Rosetta 2 from Mac OS. My Guess: Monterey + 2 = No more Rosetta 2. Remember Rosetta and the transition from Power PC to Intel.

I don’t think they’re going to do that for quite a while yet. Jobs and Ive aren’t at the helm thank fuck.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119706 on: May 14, 2022, 06:16:08 pm »
Oh ! Sorry BU I didn't mean to be pushy at all, I thought you ALREADY had them in stock, that you bought them XX time / weeks/ months ago, I misunderstood it seems, my bad !  :palm:

To spare your blushes I also read it that way; but I was just skimming, I didn't have the particular interest in the topic that you do.

And at this point I have to stop skiving, sipping coffee and idly surfing here, and go and do some proper work. Specifically: window cleaning. At least it's a nice day for it: sunny, 23.4ºC and a light breeze.

Edit: Ha! I forgot to press "Post" so this has been sitting here for about 4 1/2 hours while I washed 4 windows, 2 cars, 4 wheelie bins and polished 1 car.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #119707 on: May 14, 2022, 07:05:24 pm »
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #119708 on: May 14, 2022, 07:12:59 pm »
fixed the Denon DP47F. yayyy, I claim victory over the soulless minions of orthodoxy.

Now bidding on a Vixen VC200L. After that: join Atonality ...

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #119709 on: May 14, 2022, 07:33:18 pm »

And todays invite link is: https://discord.gg/GbHw8f8f

Not sure if you need be registered first.  :-//
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.   Come visit us at EMEX Stand #1001 https://www.emex.co.nz/
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119710 on: May 14, 2022, 07:52:37 pm »
Now deep into sorting all my T0220 trannystors. I counted them beforehand... almost 200 of them, 192 IIRC.

Slow progress, have to spend time researching each and evry one of them, as none of them are familiar.
But, at least I get to learn lot of new part number, and specs I didn't even know existed.

The award of the shittest data sheet I have just awarded a second ago to Sanyo.

Have a 2SA1968 here. Datasheet says it's a NPN. I test it and the cinese meter says it's a ... PNP not NPN  :palm:

How hard is it Sanyo to know your NPN from your PNP ? IF you design and make transistors, I would hope that it should be within the realm of possibilities, no ?  :-//
Luckily the data in the tables are unambiguous... they show negative Vce and Ic, as you always see with PNP transistors.

Also... I found two versions of their datasheet. One extremely old, horrible quality scan, which as this mistake, then anothr version of it, much more modern, clean native PDF file made on a computer.
It ALSO has the error ?!  :wtf:

Dear me....

Another good one was a datasheet that gave a peak collector current of 50mA and a sustained current of 10nA ! Yes NANO amp not mA !  :clap:

You do need to keep your brain and common sense turned on when looking at these datasheet ......  ::)

Oh, and there are datasheet made by some "ISC" company, with a green logo. Run away from these datasheet if you can... they have only 2 pages when the OEM one had 12, and for BJT thy do NOT tell you on the first page (or anywhere !) what is the part number for the complementary type.... like pretty much any other datasheet would tell you right at the top of the first page  ::)

Think I have processed 45 transistors... 25% done. If I keep at it, maybe in 2 days I will be done.. just maybe.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #119711 on: May 14, 2022, 07:58:55 pm »
And todays invite link is: https://discord.gg/GbHw8f8f

Not sure if you need be registered first. :-//
Just checked.....you can login or create a new user. This ^ link opens a Discord webrowser window however you may instead choose to download the Discord app and run Discord as a standalone application.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.   Come visit us at EMEX Stand #1001 https://www.emex.co.nz/
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119712 on: May 14, 2022, 08:12:32 pm »
Chinese meter does not seem to like Darlington devices ! ... Having here a 2SD1022A, given for a hFE of anywhere between 1,500 and 30,000. Tester says hFE is 24.....

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119713 on: May 14, 2022, 08:45:57 pm »
Geez it's getting better and better !

Now having a BUT11A NPN transistor... made ST apparently( datasheet attached). Guess what ? They do NOT even specify hFE !!!  :wtf:
OK, they do say it's for fast switching application.... but still it's a freaking BJT, it's got to have an hFE figure please.... please ?!  :-//

Had another good one ealier today I forgot to mention.... datasheet attached. A diode FMB-G14L made by " Sanken Electric ".   It says it's for " HIGH FREQUENCY RECTIFICATION "... yet fails to tell you HOW FAST it is ! There is no indication of reverse recovery time, or any time related figure whatsoever ! :wtf:

You just can't make this shit up... sorting through this eclectic mix of parts is an eye opener on  just how crap datasheet can really be :palm:

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #119714 on: May 14, 2022, 08:57:36 pm »
Geez it's getting better and better !

Now having a BUT11A NPN transistor... made ST apparently( datasheet attached). Guess what ? They do NOT even specify hFE !!!  :wtf:
OK, they do say it's for fast switching application.... but still it's a freaking BJT, it's got to have an hFE figure please.... please ?!  :-//

Had another good one ealier today I forgot to mention.... datasheet attached. A diode FMB-G14L made by " Sanken Electric ".   It says it's for " HIGH FREQUENCY RECTIFICATION "... yet fails to tell you HOW FAST it is ! There is no indication of reverse recovery time, or any time related figure whatsoever ! :wtf:

You just can't make this shit up... sorting through this eclectic mix of parts is an eye opener on  just how crap datasheet can really be :palm:

The datasheet may not have a column for beta/hfe but it's easy enough to work out, it's 2.5
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119715 on: May 14, 2022, 09:08:51 pm »
Why would people have to figure it out ? Everybody elese states it.

Also 5 is only valid for 2.5 Amp and Vce sat, and only for AC / pulsed.

All other data sheet specify hFE for various conditions of Vc and Ic, at DC, not AC, and it varies wildly.

I understand the rationale... it's a so highly tuned for fast switching for SMPS applications that it's become completely useless, pointless, stupid to use it a a general putpose transistor.. I get it.

Still, I am kinda shocked. It's the first datasheet I see that simply "forces" you to use it for want they want you to use it.

All other transistors states they can do fast switching but also be used for amplification. It's first time I see one that really, really, reallly can "not" be used for anything other than fast switching.

I will now be looking carefully at MOSFET datasheet. 90% of them are sued for SMPS switching so... does that mean they too will remove any data not strictly necessary to use them as a switch ?!  :palm:

Anyway. 23H10 here. Will sort a few more transistors and then  :=\

Offline srb1954

• Super Contributor
  • Retired Electronics Design Engineer
« Reply #119716 on: May 14, 2022, 09:38:46 pm »
But they do give you a nicely detailed and dimensioned drawing of the TO-220 package to compensate for the lack of electrical parameters. ;D

I think the probable reason that they didn't include the hFE was that the figure was embarrassingly low and they were too ashamed to state it.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119717 on: May 14, 2022, 10:51:18 pm »
The difference with a camera is how much more range it can detect and of course the fact of once again, parallel bus for the eye vs serial for a camera.

mnem
 :blah:
Real cameras are parallel devices, as the photochemical process happens across the whole frame simultaneously.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119718 on: May 14, 2022, 10:53:59 pm »
But they do give you a nicely detailed and dimensioned drawing of the TO-220 package to compensate for the lack of electrical parameters. ;D

I think the probable reason that they didn't include the hFE was that the figure was embarrassingly low and they were too ashamed to state it.
High hFE isn't always their plan, & their emphasis is on other parameters.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119719 on: May 14, 2022, 11:03:43 pm »
Why would people have to figure it out ? Everybody elese states it.

Also 5 is only valid for 2.5 Amp and Vce sat, and only for AC / pulsed.

All other data sheet specify hFE for various conditions of Vc and Ic, at DC, not AC, and it varies wildly.

I understand the rationale... it's a so highly tuned for fast switching for SMPS applications that it's become completely useless, pointless, stupid to use it a a general putpose transistor.. I get it.

Still, I am kinda shocked. It's the first datasheet I see that simply "forces" you to use it for want they want you to use it.

All other transistors states they can do fast switching but also be used for amplification. It's first time I see one that really, really, reallly can "not" be used for anything other than fast switching.

I will now be looking carefully at MOSFET datasheet. 90% of them are sued for SMPS switching so... does that mean they too will remove any data not strictly necessary to use them as a switch ?!  :palm:

Anyway. 23H10 here. Will sort a few more transistors and then  :=\

Before the current era, MOSFETS were almost entirely low power devices, used for such things as RF amplifiers in radio receivers, especially the dual gate types.
Unfortunately, these days, if someone says MOSFET, the immediate connotation is "power switching device".

I belong to the following school of thought with BJTs--"If it has three legs, the right package, & is NPN or PNP, as required, try it!"
Many applications are not very critical.

The following users thanked this post: Vince

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #119720 on: May 15, 2022, 01:50:24 am »
The difference with a camera is how much more range it can detect and of course the fact of once again, parallel bus for the eye vs serial for a camera.

mnem
 :blah:
Real cameras are parallel devices, as the photochemical process happens across the whole frame simultaneously.
Yeah, but the render times are fucking atrocious.  :-DD

mnem
and OCR...? fuggettaboutitt...
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #119721 on: May 15, 2022, 02:52:32 am »

lots of pop corns and drink

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

there is always a bigger fish...

EDIT: Now that I finished watching it, 57 minutes and something worth every single second. Goose bumps.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 04:01:35 am by Zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #119722 on: May 15, 2022, 06:44:00 am »
(Looking for an image...)   Found it!

« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 06:58:49 am by Brumby »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119723 on: May 15, 2022, 07:44:44 am »
That’s absolutely brilliant and straight to the point. I had that argument with someone back at university. You can’t add stuff that wasn’t there when it was mastered.

Keeping it relatively on topic, should own two more HP items today. Keep ‘em crossed for me.

So this morning sucks. Two trains then a rail replacement bus. On the third and final train now and the shitter is bust  >:(

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #119724 on: May 15, 2022, 08:14:48 am »
That’s absolutely brilliant and straight to the point. I had that argument with someone back at university. You can’t add stuff that wasn’t there when it was mastered.

Oh, but we do: second harmonic distortion (apparently good) or slew-rate/transient distortion (apparently bad) :) And that's just the start.

Keeping it relatively on topic, should own two more HP items today. Keep ‘em crossed for me.

I'm glad I didn't bother to hump stuff to the Barry hamfest yesterday: there were only a couple of component traders there, and given the distance one travelled I doubt they recovered their petrol money.

I wouldn't have gone, but it gave me an excuse to see sproglet briefly (between a farmers' market and a wedding) and give her dog a walk. The walk in the centre of Cardiff was fine; dog enjoyed inhaling the River Taff when returning to shore with a stick in its mouth, but the picnics provided a target-rich environment.

So, for the Luton Dunstable Downs hamfest, should I:
  • be a seller with nothing to sell, thus avoiding a long hike back to the car with heavy equipment
  • take a rickety trolley, for the long hike across fields back to the car
  • be a trolley-less seller, thus discouraging myself from buyng boat anchors
« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 08:17:59 am by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf