Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 15544128 times)

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #122050 on: June 07, 2022, 01:33:20 pm »
Wow, the new Tek thread is turning ugly.  :horse:

Just like the new Tek. Need the 80 year old stripper to cleanse my mind  :-DD

Don't wish for what you can't handle.  :P :P :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #122051 on: June 07, 2022, 01:33:48 pm »
Just went online: The Defpom about a Fluke 87 V:   https://youtu.be/R4cTpiIxG30
Short conclusion is the same as mine. Good meter. You get what you pay for  :-DD
Still a neanderthal compared to the 87-IV/89-IV & 187/189. These things are a lab meter in working-sheep's clothing; I'll never go back to an 87, not even the 87-V MAX with its delicious extra-bright BL LCD and keypad. Well, maybe as a 2nd meter... or 3rd after my 27A/N...? :o

He mentions not liking the Pliovic leads ( I don't either ;)) more than once; I think he doesn't understand the intended market: sparkies, squaddies, interns, mechanics, HVAC and manufacturing/power systems techs. Silicone leads would last a hour with any of those apes before they have a huge slash in 'em or just ripped in half. :palm:

I like the molded-plug on the type K TC; guess I'm gonna need to source one of them. I'm still using the old banana-blade adapter as was the "standard" connector for a TC for decades.

Nice to see him do a little plug for RTFM , tho!  :-DD

I see him oooooh-ing and ahhhh-ing over all the "little touches" that are part and parcel of owning a FLUKE pro-grade HH meter, and I've known about for decades... has he never owned one before...?  :-//

And the rest... almost 2/3 of the video... pretty much all just reiterating the VoltMutt mantra: "FLUKE sez BAMM!"  ;D

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122052 on: June 07, 2022, 01:39:11 pm »
When Toyota makes a Rolls Royce:

youtube.com/watch?v=1uqgHZxBE8A

mnem
Even Toyota knows Lexus is for posers.  ;)
Eehhhh, give me the engine, throw away the rest. I see them here regularly, driven by guys in French-navy blue suits with white gloves sitting exactly on the (waay too low) speed limit everywhere they go.

Such a disservice to such an engine.
Not really. This is exactly the service this engine was designed for; for the same exact reason RR used a V-12: smooth, even power that caters to livery driving rather than performance. Completely different design ethos here: The old RR adverts showed the engine running with a nickel balanced on edge on a valve cover or air cleaner; that is the mindset we're talking about.

mnem
 :popcorn:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122053 on: June 07, 2022, 01:43:27 pm »
I think that crate of junk needs to go to a hospice, not through another surgery  :-DD

Ummm... isn't that where it came from...?   

mnem
 :-/O

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122054 on: June 07, 2022, 01:49:48 pm »
Jeepers Vince. That POS would have been thrown in the trash heap so fast over here that it would have just seemed like a blur to the eyes as it flew from my hands into the can. But hey we're all different, so I guess if it opens your beer can to mess with it I suppose...
I thought I made that clear from the beginning ??  :-//

I am willing to go the extra mile because I owe at least that much, and much more, to the friend who asked me this favour. If your friends and what they do to help you out means nothing to you and you never give back, then well I don't know what kind of friendship that is...

And even then I am still being reasonable... Unlike dragon probably would do, I am not going to 3D print  teeth to fix the CD tray, for example...

I dunno whether to take that as a jibe or a compliment...    :-DD

But yeah, I get it. This POS has become a bit of a challenge now; you want to at least make it better than you found it.  :-DD :-DD

mnem
Been dere, dunnat, burned the shirt. While I was wearing it. >:D

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122055 on: June 07, 2022, 01:53:27 pm »

mnem
run away.... RUN AWAY!!!

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122056 on: June 07, 2022, 02:41:34 pm »

mnem
Eehhhh, give me the engine, throw away the rest. I see them here regularly, driven by guys in French-navy blue suits with white gloves sitting exactly on the (waay too low) speed limit everywhere they go.

Not really. This is exactly the service this engine was designed for; for the same exact reason RR used a V-12: smooth, even power that caters to livery driving rather than performance. Completely different design ethos here: The old RR adverts showed the engine running with a nickel balanced on edge on a valve cover or air cleaner; that is the mindset we're talking about.

mnem
While I agree with the analogy of the RR V12 etc, but I have never seen that style of advert from them, but I do recall seeing one many years ago from BMW saying that they employ a counterbalance shaft to iron out all vibrations and IIRC they had a coin standing on its edge of the rocker cover while the engine was running?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122057 on: June 07, 2022, 02:42:54 pm »

mnem

mnem

A "nickel"? A "nickel"!?! A James II guinea, perhaps, but not a florin's worth of base American coinage. Really, this is Rolls-Royce we're talking about!

Oh, and as far as I can remember Rolls-Royce never used a V12 for a car until they became just a very posh BMW. Lots of inline 6s, inline 8s, and V8s, but not a V12. Their sister brand Bentley used V12s, but not Rolls-Royce. Rolls-Royce made lots of V12s, but they ended up in motorboats, tanks and famously planes.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122058 on: June 07, 2022, 02:45:53 pm »

Been on Tinder for a bit. Reckon I could handle it now  :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122059 on: June 07, 2022, 02:46:56 pm »
Jeepers Vince. That POS would have been thrown in the trash heap so fast over here that it would have just seemed like a blur to the eyes as it flew from my hands into the can. But hey we're all different, so I guess if it opens your beer can to mess with it I suppose...
I thought I made that clear from the beginning ??  :-//

I am willing to go the extra mile because I owe at least that much, and much more, to the friend who asked me this favour. If your friends and what they do to help you out means nothing to you and you never give back, then well I don't know what kind of friendship that is...

And even then I am still being reasonable... Unlike dragon probably would do, I am not going to 3D print  teeth to fix the CD tray, for example...

I dunno whether to take that as a jibe or a compliment...    :-DD

But yeah, I get it. This POS has become a bit of a challenge now; you want to at least make it better than you found it.  :-DD :-DD

Ah that's easy that is

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #122060 on: June 07, 2022, 02:50:17 pm »
The 475A is back together. Powered up fine and +50V reference is right on. All other PSU voltages OK except -15V. Missing completely. Surprisingly there's a trace but focus is poor. 

There's basically zero volts at C1472 and CR1472 is cold to the touch so there's no current draw. I may have to pull the trigger board again to troubleshoot this.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #122061 on: June 07, 2022, 02:50:58 pm »
A "nickel"? A "nickel"!?! A James II guinea, perhaps, but not a florin's worth of base American coinage. Really, this is Rolls-Royce we're talking about!

Yeah .... that jumped out at me, too.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #122062 on: June 07, 2022, 02:53:02 pm »

Been on Tinder for a bit. Reckon I could handle it now  :-DD

Doesn't mean the rest of us will be able to!!!

The following users thanked this post: bd139, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122063 on: June 07, 2022, 02:53:12 pm »

mnem

mnem

Oh, and as far as I can remember Rolls-Royce never used a V12 for a car until they became just a very posh BMW. Lots of inline 6s, inline 8s, and V8s, but not a V12. Their sister brand Bentley used V12s, but not Rolls-Royce. Rolls-Royce made lots of V12s, but they ended up in motorboats, tanks and famously planes.

Ehhh... whatevs. Some coin with a flat edge. What I remember seeing from ages ago was a film short subject, IIRC... probably never intended for TV. Maybe it WAS Bentley... maybe it was the Cadillac V-16. Who fucking cares?  :-//

mnem
 ::)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2022, 02:54:59 pm by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122064 on: June 07, 2022, 02:57:01 pm »
...But yeah, I get it. This POS has become a bit of a challenge now; you want to at least make it better than you found it.  :-DD :-DD

Ah that's easy that is

Did you see the pic of the front of that horrid thing...? It came that way from the factory.  :-DD

mnem
*toddles off to find something amusing to do*

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #122065 on: June 07, 2022, 03:00:25 pm »
Bought this at the recent hamfest. What should I control with it?

There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: Vince, bd139

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122066 on: June 07, 2022, 03:03:59 pm »

An electric chair?

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: bd139, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122067 on: June 07, 2022, 03:05:33 pm »
While I agree with the analogy of the RR V12 etc, but I have never seen that style of advert from them, but I do recall seeing one many years ago from BMW saying that they employ a counterbalance shaft to iron out all vibrations and IIRC they had a coin standing on its edge of the rocker cover while the engine was running?

Ehhh... countershafts have been a thing since forever in engine design; not exactly a revelation. Coulda been that ad, though I remember it being much more "old-school"; some huge prewar land-yacht for people who never drove themselves. Maybe a Deusenberg...?

mnem
 :-//

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122068 on: June 07, 2022, 03:10:31 pm »

An electric chair?

McBryce.

I approve of this suggestion. I have a list of test subjects.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122069 on: June 07, 2022, 03:14:07 pm »

How did I miss this little gem for over a decade...? *chortle-guffaw*

mnem
"Almost as cheesy as the real thing." ~me

The following users thanked this post: TERRA Operative, srb1954

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #122070 on: June 07, 2022, 03:23:05 pm »

An electric chair?

I suppose you could use it to vary the velocity by using it as a "bang-bang" PWM control. The elderly/disabled and everyone else on the pavement would find that, um, exciting.  ;)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122071 on: June 07, 2022, 03:25:21 pm »
...But yeah, I get it. This POS has become a bit of a challenge now; you want to at least make it better than you found it.  :-DD :-DD

Ah that's easy that is

Did you see the pic of the front of that horrid thing...? It came that way from the factory.  :-DD

mnem
*toddles off to find something amusing to do*

You want ugly? This is what happens when you let a German company take over an iconic British motor brand. Ladies and Gentleman, I give you the BMW Rolls-Royce Cullinan:

It's almost like it was revenge for the WWII nickname of "blockheads" for German soldiers. "Blockheads! You with your Rolls-Royce Merlin engines call us Blockheads. We will show you Blockhead..."

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122072 on: June 07, 2022, 03:27:12 pm »

Whatever else it must have at least two Jacob's ladders and a Whimshurst machine. An assistant called Igor is also pretty much compulsory.

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens, dl6lr

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #122073 on: June 07, 2022, 03:31:43 pm »

Whatever else it must have at least two Jacob's ladders and a Whimshurst machine. An assistant called Igor is also pretty much compulsory.

That's EYEgor!

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122074 on: June 07, 2022, 03:36:55 pm »

mnem

mnem

Ehhh... whatevs. Some coin with a flat edge. What I remember seeing from ages ago was a film short subject, IIRC... probably never intended for TV. Maybe it WAS Bentley... maybe it was the Cadillac V-16. Who fucking cares?  :-//

mnem
 ::)
Well as it turns out you were correct, it was a Rolls Royce V12 and it indeed an English £1 coin which does very slight flats on it, but that does not detract from the smoothness of the engine. It is infact a BMW engine that RR have been using for some years, even before they brought RR, which is the reason that VW had to develop the W12 engine for their Bentley as BMW gave them notice to cease using their engines as Bentley was nothing other than a badge engineered RR at the time of the split between the two marques. 

I'm currently trying to host a video of the RR V12 test but it is proving to take a time, in the meantime, here is a BMW 6 cylinder that proves how smooth their engines are.

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf