Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 15532436 times)

mankan and 24 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #123000 on: June 15, 2022, 07:33:35 pm »
This one goes to Vince:

There's easter eggs in modern instruments, too:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-ssa3000x-spectrum-analyzers/msg4240519/#msg4240519

Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: Vince, tautech, mnementh, Mortymore, ch_scr

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123001 on: June 15, 2022, 07:38:31 pm »
HP SCOPE

OK so I took it apart for a good visual inspection inside, then took for a test ride to check that all controls/keys/knobs work, check for proper operation of the basic functionnalities and see if I can find any problem in the way it works.

VISUAL INSPECTION

Easy to open up. A screw to remove and the module at the back comes off. Then just two Torx screws at the back in lower left and right corner, and the cover comes off.

Searching to signs of monkey damage or the scope being put together hastily from a bunch of (defective...) random boards.

- No loose screws or anything wandering inside the scope, good beginning.

- Found that the small board plugged at the back of the CRT neck, was crooked, its edge wasn't perfectly horizontal. Thought maybe monkey put it back incorrectly, maybe after trying to recap the CRT area to fix the squashed display syndrome but.... no, was being  and mouth : the white silastic that secures that board to the glass of the CRT neck.. was still intact.

- Looked at all the electrolytic caps, searching for signs of past rework, or bulging or leaky caps... nothing. They all look original and healthy, visually at least I mean...

- Minor/normal amounts of dust in the PSU area, though there was a huge hairy ball on that board... and lots of fluffy stuff sticking to the back of every rotary encoder of the front panel...

- Main board

- Power rails are nicely identified on the silk screen, all grouped together at the edge of the board. It says -5V, 5V, -15V and +15V. How original ! :-DD
Found also a couple of 3 pin voltage regulators on that board, a 317 and a 337.. this thing is state of the art eh ?!  :-DD
Well at least it's stuff I can recognize and fix easily, so that's good !  :-+

Didn't find any aluminium electrolytic cap, good ! Found some tantalum though... but only 5 of them. A big one in the CPU area of the board, and then a group of 4 small ones far away from the first one, in the area of the front end for the digital / logic input connector.

Found one NVRAM and one EPROM, so not a whole lot.. maybe the F/W is compressed  and gets uncompressed into RAM when the thing boots  ?!  :-DD
Either that or the HP F/W guys are very good to cram lots of stuff into a single EPROM !  :-+

Noticed that the 5 heat sinks mounted on big square packaged chips... are all badly crooked ! Just like the CRT neck board then ! So I felt relieved, it's "normal" HP stuff of the era, it's not a bug it's a feature !  :-DD

Then looked for physical damage... since it's common on these it seems.

- No obvious crack on the main board
- No signs of rework or monkey putting his dirty hands inside that scope...
- The brightness control knob that I found initially, upon unpacking, a bit dislodged... well looks like it simply needed reseating into the pot. I don't see anything wrong with that pot or knob when viewed from inside... so that looks like it was a red herring, fortunately ! Just me being overly paranoid and wary...

So... that all looks excellent I thought ! All these missing knobs were not at all indicative of an underlyng horror story !!!  :D  See ?

TEST RIDE

So I put the cover back on, plugged the I/O module back onto the back of the scope, and fired it up !!!   :D

In short : it all appears works perfectly !!!!!   :-+

-CRT is crisp and very stable, rock solid. Not undulating or fuzzy. It's perfect.
Brightness, just fine. Can vary smoothly from dark to super bright.

- All the buttons below the CRT work, though I did notice that sometimes they can hard at hearing when you press them downward, but respond reliably if you push on them at 45° angle, with a combined forward motion. If you see what I mean... You press down and a bit forward at the same time. They appear to like that...
But anyway, unlike BD had with his, these buttons are not broken, they all work, so that was a relief right there.

- BNC sockets are OK, firmly in place.

- All encoders / knobs appear to be working fine and reliably, they don't need cleaning (despite all the dust collecting on them...).

- Both channels work, I can display a signal, change attenuator settings, vertical position etc...

- the HP original x10 probes are detected properly by the scope, it changes the Volts / DIV readout accordingly.

- Automatic measurements work.

... basically all the basic / obvious stuff works, could not find anything blatantly wrong with it, on this first quick test. I guess we shall see in the longer term as I get to spend time using it.

So in short.... this scope is a 100% WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER from top to bottom !!!   :-+

Only slight thing I found "wrong" with it, if I dare, is a sliiight geometry problem with the picture on the CRT. It's not even visible on my pictures I think, but it is in the flesh. Problem is the picture is not perfectly rectangular. It is more like trapezoidal, with the upper edge being a bit shorter/narrower/squeezed than the lower edge, which looks fine. Looks a bit like the intro text in the old Star Wars movie...
But it's very slight. I will look in the manual, calibration procedure section to see if there might be trimmer in the CRT board that looks after that particular aspect of the geometry.  If not, then I guess some proper troubleshooting is on order, which would be fun and interesting and educational (I know squat about CRT circuitry...), since we have the schematics for this scope. Well, have not yet looked a them in detail, so I am hoping they are complete, including the CRT stuff and power supply, not just the main board...

USING IT...

My first HP scope so everything is new to me, it's all alien to me compared to my usual Tek scopes...

Impressions...

Well :

- Fan is pretty quiet as it is. Thinking though that a modern / fresh fan could be even quieter, so might give that a try. Noise level is important when sit 12 hours non stop at the bench in front of the scope, working on your latest gizmo.

- It boots very fast, much like my Combiscope, and unlike my Tek TDS scope that takes 60 seconds (I timed it). So that's a very good point.

- It's very responsive and smooth going when you use the vertical or trigger level controls.

- The encoders for the trigger level is excellent, it feels almost like an analog pot. It's incredible, they nailed the "acceleration" of the thing perfectly (as well as the mechanicals of it, the resistance it opposed to rotation is just nice), like I have never seen anywhere before. That couple with the aforementioned responsiveness, makes you feel like your using an analog scope. It's really incredible, very enjoyable. Ergonomics is an important part of using any bench piece of TE, especially a scope since you interact so much with it when working on stuff. In contrast, my Combiscope is a total disaster. All digital controls too (even the brightness for the CRT), but the acceleration management is disastrous : if you turn a knob slowly, nothing happens, and if you turn it faster... it skyrockets to the other side of the screen/men whatever. It's an ON/OFF switch. The "feel" of the knobs aren't as good either. Not enough resistance to motion, and a slight radial play in the knobs. In short they feel a bit cheap...
So I was therefore immediately able to notice and appreciate ow HP got that bit just right....

- The overall layout of the front panel is simple and efficient, it's easy to find stuff, looks simple, not spaceship like my old GOULD 1604 for example.

- There is unexpected sophistication and refinement in the UI of this scope, I was surprised ! --> when I was in the measurement menu to try the automatic measurement functionalities, see what was available, I noticed that every time I modify something in there, the read out at the bottom is updated using some animation ! The new/updated content appears from the right edge of the screen, and slides horizontally towards the left, in a perfectly smooth / top quality fashion !  Makes it look like million dollars state of the art machine ! >:D

- I miss something all Tek TDS scopes have : a prominent, dedicated " Clear Menu " button near the CRT, to get out of any sub-sub-sub menu you are in, and get you back to your signals. Because more often than not you can easily search for stuff in the menu structure, "get lost", and wanting to go back to the top level, or exit the menu entirely, but are afraid to touch anything for fear you might screw things up... you just want an easy and safe and quick way out of the " menu hell " so to speak.
The HP does not provide that, that I could see anyway.

- BTW the lack of knobs was hardly a bother, all digital controls / encoders of course, so requires little force to rotate. After a few seconds you don't even feel the need to have knobs, somehow ! It's just effortless.

CONCLUSION

So that's it, looks like there is absolutely nothing wrong/fishy about this scope ! Despite all thje missing knobs, it's was not Frankenstein unit made from a bunch of random defective parts loosely taped together. Nope, it all looks intact and "legit" in there. Does not look like it was dropped, works fine, no problems with the BNCs, no problem with the squashed picture on the CRT, none of the usual HP problems Dwagon and BD have been exposing. I am truly in luck !

I declare this scope a 100% winner.

So now I need to RTFM and explore its functionalities. Play with the deep memory, the Megazoom stuff, explore the logic inputs stuff of course... had a quick look at the trigger menu, and saw you can trigger from a logic edge, or a logic pattern. So that's kinda cool, and the main point of an MSO I guess...
Will RTFM to learn all about it of course.

A few piccies....

« Last Edit: June 15, 2022, 07:43:14 pm by Vince »

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #123002 on: June 15, 2022, 07:42:07 pm »
quick-e-task results ...
DHL express is scheduled to bring a box from mansaxel's country ... pinball spare parts that is ...

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139, factory, cyclin_al

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123003 on: June 15, 2022, 07:47:03 pm »
It's quite warm here this evening, 26.8ºC inside in the living room, and 21.6ºC outside in the shade. So, in an effort to cool the inside down a bit I popped and opened the back door to let a cooling through draft through.

While I did that I took a turn around the garden. The downstairs flat has been empty for about six months and last had a pre-handover visit from the previous owners three months ago. Thinking "If they're not careful the new owner is going to get squatters." as I walked past the windows looking in on empty rooms some instinct made me check the back door was locked. It wasn't!

That flat has been sitting there, unlocked, for three months.

I went in to see if I could find a key to lock the door with. I found hot radiators. The heating has been on (obviously on an excessively high setting if the radiators are hot today of all days) for at least three months! No wonder it's excessively hot inside upstairs where we are. Turned the heating off, found a key and locked up properly.

So when the new owner turns up, if they ever do, I suspect there's going to be a bit of argy-bargy when they discover that the previous owners left the place unsecured and have saddled the new owner with a three month heating bill.

Given how long the new owner has taken to put in an appearance at all I have a private joke theory that they are a Russian oligarch expatriating funds by buying up properties that won't attract the attention of people enforcing sanctions and leaving them empty. Like they do with multimillion pound Knightsbridge properties, but in a much grubbier, much cheaper neighbourhood. If they are I wish they'd told us; I could use the place as a boat anchor store without SWMBO knowing.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline Atomillo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #123004 on: June 15, 2022, 07:53:15 pm »
Following the advice from TERRA, I disassembled the keyboard. Firstly, I must say that the HP engineers who designed this were geniuses. You can take apart the keyboard without touching anything else of the instrument! I at first didn't realize this, but when seeing I had to disconnect the attenuator, I used my brain a little bit and read the whole service manual before commiting any massacres.

Secondly, unfortunately I can not clean the keys. They are not the "plain" metal strip type showed in the video, instead they are actually curved in the end. Using the other keyboard as a guinepig, I tried to dismantle and put together a switch and actually managed to break it off from the board. Also, even though now it seems like it is correct, it isn't, it doesn't "jump back". No matter how many times I've tried it, I've had no luck. It probably needs more dexterity than I have. And by the way, the second board is absolutely busted. It has very visible corrosion damage everywhere and rust is apparent... It seems like eBay kind of lied to the previous owner.

Fortunately, by applying contact cleaner and cleaning all the residue off the board the situation seems to improve quite a bit. Most keys are actually responsive now, but some (the increment button and some number keys) still seem to need some, uhm, convincing. In spite of that now the instrument is actually useable without frustration!! I've also tested modulation and everything works great.

Finally, I also made "the final stack". I like how you can kind of see the evolution from the 8565 and 55, to the 56, to the 01. And then the Siglent might be feeling a bit out of place  :-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #123005 on: June 15, 2022, 08:24:11 pm »
HP SCOPE
...I declare this scope a 100% winner.

So now I need to RTFM and explore its functionalities. Play with the deep memory, the Megazoom stuff, explore the logic inputs stuff of course... had a quick look at the trigger menu, and saw you can trigger from a logic edge, or a logic pattern. So that's kinda cool, and the main point of an MSO I guess...

Welcome to the brotherhood, Vince.  :-+

mnem
Like I said: "So smo-o-o-o-oth, it's like buttah..."

alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Atomillo

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123006 on: June 15, 2022, 08:33:31 pm »
D'oh!  Obvious in hindsight.   :palm:  Let's try that again...

I think it fits well enough to be used:
   -Pat

*mega-dwagon-cringe*

mnem
*twitch... twitch... twitcha-twitch...*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #123007 on: June 15, 2022, 08:42:42 pm »

I think it fits well enough to be used:
   -Pat

*mega-dwagon-cringe*

mnem

Fear not, that was for illustrative purposes only - no way in hell I'm cutting a lead on a working nixie driver IC!

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123008 on: June 15, 2022, 08:46:16 pm »
Heads up for Brits living in or close to Highbridge, Somerset, you might want to jump on these quickly, I would personally would but way too far away for me.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/2-sonartron-digital-valve-voltmeters-and-3-avometers/1434901970

I have already been in contact :)

Very nice find and jammy git price too.  :-+
P.S. if you don't want the larger Solartron DVM & measurement cable, I would be very interested.

David

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123009 on: June 15, 2022, 08:56:26 pm »
Update on the CCTV PSU, I have fitted a HD to the main unit and powered it up from my bench supply, all seems to be working OK as far as I can tell at this stage, there is certainly comms going between the cameras and the main consol over the Ethernet cables so with that in mind and the expense combined with the extended delivery from China for the MosFet and control chip, I have decided to purchase a new power brick from Amazon which will be with me on Friday. So hopefully Friday will see it all working OK and I can move onto another item in my repair queue.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, cyclin_al

Online Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123010 on: June 15, 2022, 08:59:26 pm »
HP SCOPE

OK so I took it apart for a good visual inspection inside, then took for a test ride to check that all controls/keys/knobs work, check for proper operation of the basic functionnalities and see if I can find any problem in the way it works.

VISUAL INSPECTION

Easy to open up. A screw to remove and the module at the back comes off. Then just two Torx screws at the back in lower left and right corner, and the cover comes off.

Searching to signs of monkey damage or the scope being put together hastily from a bunch of (defective...) random boards.

- No loose screws or anything wandering inside the scope, good beginning.

- Found that the small board plugged at the back of the CRT neck, was crooked, its edge wasn't perfectly horizontal. Thought maybe monkey put it back incorrectly, maybe after trying to recap the CRT area to fix the squashed display syndrome but.... no, was being  and mouth : the white silastic that secures that board to the glass of the CRT neck.. was still intact.

- Looked at all the electrolytic caps, searching for signs of past rework, or bulging or leaky caps... nothing. They all look original and healthy, visually at least I mean...

- Minor/normal amounts of dust in the PSU area, though there was a huge hairy ball on that board... and lots of fluffy stuff sticking to the back of every rotary encoder of the front panel...

- Main board

- Power rails are nicely identified on the silk screen, all grouped together at the edge of the board. It says -5V, 5V, -15V and +15V. How original ! :-DD
Found also a couple of 3 pin voltage regulators on that board, a 317 and a 337.. this thing is state of the art eh ?!  :-DD
Well at least it's stuff I can recognize and fix easily, so that's good !  :-+

Didn't find any aluminium electrolytic cap, good ! Found some tantalum though... but only 5 of them. A big one in the CPU area of the board, and then a group of 4 small ones far away from the first one, in the area of the front end for the digital / logic input connector.

Found one NVRAM and one EPROM, so not a whole lot.. maybe the F/W is compressed  and gets uncompressed into RAM when the thing boots  ?!  :-DD
Either that or the HP F/W guys are very good to cram lots of stuff into a single EPROM !  :-+

Noticed that the 5 heat sinks mounted on big square packaged chips... are all badly crooked ! Just like the CRT neck board then ! So I felt relieved, it's "normal" HP stuff of the era, it's not a bug it's a feature !  :-DD

Then looked for physical damage... since it's common on these it seems.

- No obvious crack on the main board
- No signs of rework or monkey putting his dirty hands inside that scope...
- The brightness control knob that I found initially, upon unpacking, a bit dislodged... well looks like it simply needed reseating into the pot. I don't see anything wrong with that pot or knob when viewed from inside... so that looks like it was a red herring, fortunately ! Just me being overly paranoid and wary...

So... that all looks excellent I thought ! All these missing knobs were not at all indicative of an underlyng horror story !!!  :D  See ?

TEST RIDE

So I put the cover back on, plugged the I/O module back onto the back of the scope, and fired it up !!!   :D

In short : it all appears works perfectly !!!!!   :-+

-CRT is crisp and very stable, rock solid. Not undulating or fuzzy. It's perfect.
Brightness, just fine. Can vary smoothly from dark to super bright.

- All the buttons below the CRT work, though I did notice that sometimes they can hard at hearing when you press them downward, but respond reliably if you push on them at 45° angle, with a combined forward motion. If you see what I mean... You press down and a bit forward at the same time. They appear to like that...
But anyway, unlike BD had with his, these buttons are not broken, they all work, so that was a relief right there.

- BNC sockets are OK, firmly in place.

- All encoders / knobs appear to be working fine and reliably, they don't need cleaning (despite all the dust collecting on them...).

- Both channels work, I can display a signal, change attenuator settings, vertical position etc...

- the HP original x10 probes are detected properly by the scope, it changes the Volts / DIV readout accordingly.

- Automatic measurements work.

... basically all the basic / obvious stuff works, could not find anything blatantly wrong with it, on this first quick test. I guess we shall see in the longer term as I get to spend time using it.

So in short.... this scope is a 100% WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER from top to bottom !!!   :-+

Only slight thing I found "wrong" with it, if I dare, is a sliiight geometry problem with the picture on the CRT. It's not even visible on my pictures I think, but it is in the flesh. Problem is the picture is not perfectly rectangular. It is more like trapezoidal, with the upper edge being a bit shorter/narrower/squeezed than the lower edge, which looks fine. Looks a bit like the intro text in the old Star Wars movie...
But it's very slight. I will look in the manual, calibration procedure section to see if there might be trimmer in the CRT board that looks after that particular aspect of the geometry.  If not, then I guess some proper troubleshooting is on order, which would be fun and interesting and educational (I know squat about CRT circuitry...), since we have the schematics for this scope. Well, have not yet looked a them in detail, so I am hoping they are complete, including the CRT stuff and power supply, not just the main board...

USING IT...

My first HP scope so everything is new to me, it's all alien to me compared to my usual Tek scopes...

Impressions...

Well :

- Fan is pretty quiet as it is. Thinking though that a modern / fresh fan could be even quieter, so might give that a try. Noise level is important when sit 12 hours non stop at the bench in front of the scope, working on your latest gizmo.

- It boots very fast, much like my Combiscope, and unlike my Tek TDS scope that takes 60 seconds (I timed it). So that's a very good point.

- It's very responsive and smooth going when you use the vertical or trigger level controls.

- The encoders for the trigger level is excellent, it feels almost like an analog pot. It's incredible, they nailed the "acceleration" of the thing perfectly (as well as the mechanicals of it, the resistance it opposed to rotation is just nice), like I have never seen anywhere before. That couple with the aforementioned responsiveness, makes you feel like your using an analog scope. It's really incredible, very enjoyable. Ergonomics is an important part of using any bench piece of TE, especially a scope since you interact so much with it when working on stuff. In contrast, my Combiscope is a total disaster. All digital controls too (even the brightness for the CRT), but the acceleration management is disastrous : if you turn a knob slowly, nothing happens, and if you turn it faster... it skyrockets to the other side of the screen/men whatever. It's an ON/OFF switch. The "feel" of the knobs aren't as good either. Not enough resistance to motion, and a slight radial play in the knobs. In short they feel a bit cheap...
So I was therefore immediately able to notice and appreciate ow HP got that bit just right....

- The overall layout of the front panel is simple and efficient, it's easy to find stuff, looks simple, not spaceship like my old GOULD 1604 for example.

- There is unexpected sophistication and refinement in the UI of this scope, I was surprised ! --> when I was in the measurement menu to try the automatic measurement functionalities, see what was available, I noticed that every time I modify something in there, the read out at the bottom is updated using some animation ! The new/updated content appears from the right edge of the screen, and slides horizontally towards the left, in a perfectly smooth / top quality fashion !  Makes it look like million dollars state of the art machine ! >:D

- I miss something all Tek TDS scopes have : a prominent, dedicated " Clear Menu " button near the CRT, to get out of any sub-sub-sub menu you are in, and get you back to your signals. Because more often than not you can easily search for stuff in the menu structure, "get lost", and wanting to go back to the top level, or exit the menu entirely, but are afraid to touch anything for fear you might screw things up... you just want an easy and safe and quick way out of the " menu hell " so to speak.
The HP does not provide that, that I could see anyway.

- BTW the lack of knobs was hardly a bother, all digital controls / encoders of course, so requires little force to rotate. After a few seconds you don't even feel the need to have knobs, somehow ! It's just effortless.

CONCLUSION

So that's it, looks like there is absolutely nothing wrong/fishy about this scope ! Despite all thje missing knobs, it's was not Frankenstein unit made from a bunch of random defective parts loosely taped together. Nope, it all looks intact and "legit" in there. Does not look like it was dropped, works fine, no problems with the BNCs, no problem with the squashed picture on the CRT, none of the usual HP problems Dwagon and BD have been exposing. I am truly in luck !

I declare this scope a 100% winner.

Will RTFM to learn all about it of course.

A few piccies....

Great news
You have identified exactly why I love this series of 'scope - The responsiveness of user interface. It "handles" like a good analog 'scope. They used completly separate controllers for the user interface and aquisition so there is no latency due to a high priority task in one function affecting another. The UI does not have to wait for the aquisition to finish.

You don't seem to have tried it's othe main feature: MegaZoom. Set it up with a waveform (serial data is ideal but just the calibrator will do) and set the timebase so there is no deatil present. Press the RUN/STOP button, remove the input and change the time/div knob. You can zoom in and see the detail and scroll across the stored data. This is great for looking at serial data, glitches etc.

I have exactly the same set up includng the I/O module. Oh and HPAK did free PC software tha lets you do screen capture to a PC.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, cyclin_al

Online Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123011 on: June 15, 2022, 09:05:45 pm »
Following the advice from TERRA, I disassembled the keyboard. Firstly, I must say that the HP engineers who designed this were geniuses. You can take apart the keyboard without touching anything else of the instrument! I at first didn't realize this, but when seeing I had to disconnect the attenuator, I used my brain a little bit and read the whole service manual before commiting any massacres.

Secondly, unfortunately I can not clean the keys. They are not the "plain" metal strip type showed in the video, instead they are actually curved in the end. Using the other keyboard as a guinepig, I tried to dismantle and put together a switch and actually managed to break it off from the board. Also, even though now it seems like it is correct, it isn't, it doesn't "jump back". No matter how many times I've tried it, I've had no luck. It probably needs more dexterity than I have. And by the way, the second board is absolutely busted. It has very visible corrosion damage everywhere and rust is apparent... It seems like eBay kind of lied to the previous owner.

Fortunately, by applying contact cleaner and cleaning all the residue off the board the situation seems to improve quite a bit. Most keys are actually responsive now, but some (the increment button and some number keys) still seem to need some, uhm, convincing. In spite of that now the instrument is actually useable without frustration!! I've also tested modulation and everything works great.

Finally, I also made "the final stack". I like how you can kind of see the evolution from the 8565 and 55, to the 56, to the 01. And then the Siglent might be feeling a bit out of place  :-DD

Those are the "West" switches. You do not take the switch off the board. The steel spring strip comes out from the front and needs a little reshaping.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #123012 on: June 15, 2022, 09:18:43 pm »
Heads up for Brits living in or close to Highbridge, Somerset, you might want to jump on these quickly, I would personally would but way too far away for me.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/2-sonartron-digital-valve-voltmeters-and-3-avometers/1434901970

P.S. if you don't want the larger Solartron DVM & measurement cable, I would be very interested.

David

Even cheaper, at £20: https://www.gumtree.com/p/hobbies-collectibles/signal-generator-and-storage-oscilloscope/1434900042
1. An Advance Signal Generator Type SG66.
2. A Tektronix Type 564 Dual Channel Storage Oscilloscope.

I don't have room to store them anywhere remotely suitable; it would have to be a leaky garden shed!
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123013 on: June 15, 2022, 10:15:42 pm »
HP SCOPE

Great news
You have identified exactly why I love this series of 'scope - The responsiveness of user interface. It "handles" like a good analog 'scope. They used completly separate controllers for the user interface and aquisition so there is no latency due to a high priority task in one function affecting another. The UI does not have to wait for the aquisition to finish.

Forgot to mention another nice thing I like about it : screen real estate. I mean the area of the screen devoted to displaying the traces, spans the entire width of the screen, whereas in my Tek TDS there is a very wide menu bar on the right side that eats lots of space. Even if you clear/exit all menus, does not matter, the traces won't expand all the way to the right. Traces are stuck in a fixed width format. So the HP gives you a lot more horizontal space, which is more valuable I find that vertical space most of the time, as it gives you a better overview of the signal. I guess I am not the only one thinking that, given that all modern scopes now have a wide aspect ratio screen, "landscape" rather than square or portrait... like my Tek 11K series (but that one is a very special scope ! ;D )

Oh and did I say it has video trigger capabilities ? In the TDS usually it's implemented with an optionnal video board, which my TDS scope doesn't have.

You don't seem to have tried it's othe main feature: MegaZoom.

Oh, pushey aren't you !  >:D
As I said  that was only a first test ride to check the basics, and now need to RTFM on the key features like MegaZoom and Logic stuff.
Have that lovely original paper copy of the user manual, so I can read that peacefully in my bed at night  8)

Set it up with a waveform (serial data is ideal but just the calibrator will do) and set the timebase so there is no deatil present. Press the RUN/STOP button, remove the input and change the time/div knob. You can zoom in and see the detail and scroll across the stored data. This is great for looking at serial data, glitches etc.

Can't wait... me entering the modern era... old scope but modern in features / capabilities  8)
Will try to find something more "interesting" than a square wave. There is no shortage of old TE equiped with a serial port in my lab. My Metrix handheld DMM MX53/54/55 all have serial port to print out values and calibration and what not. Don't have the infra-red cable to go with them though... need to cobble one one day. Oh I know ! I can use my recently acquired MX554, the bench format versio of my MX 54C... it has a DB25 serial port at the back IIRC, that should be easy enough to tap !  8)

I have exactly the same set up includng the I/O module. Oh and HPAK did free PC software tha lets you do screen capture to a PC.

Wow that would be great indeed ! Will go hunt for that S/W !  :-+
I just love screen capture... I am sick and itred of having to take crappy pics of the scope with my crappy camera. Takes 10 attempts to get something vaguely acceptable ! Lighting conditions are never good enough to please the camera ! I would love to be able to get a screen dump straight to the PC so I can post that on the forum when I work on stuff, or just for my own archives of course.

But there is also the HARD copy, I love paper as well ! .... just could not resist, I have just given it a try, here it is !!!
Scope is very compact so I could move it over to my desk where my computer is, so I could attach the printer cable to the scope.
Look at that, looks super nice ! I wasn't sure what to expect, but I am very pleased, the waveform is very large, takes almost the full width of the page !  :-+
Lots of info added below it as well. Even a time stamp (courtesy of the I/O module it seems), even gives the scopes model number and F/W revision.
Note that the time stamp is spot on : it does state the correct date, and it was not me setting it, it came like that out of the box !  So the RTC  battery is not totally depleted just yet !  :-+

It was team work this print out : HP sig gen feeding the HP scope, then stored it in memory, moved the scope from the bench to my desk / computer, recalled the trace, and printed it on my... HP Lasertjet 6P.   HP + HP + HP !!!  8)

« Last Edit: June 15, 2022, 11:07:32 pm by Vince »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, ch_scr, factory, cyclin_al, syau, Zoli, m k

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123014 on: June 15, 2022, 10:31:43 pm »
OMG Vince you are giving me flashbacks to when I actually had a job I gave a shit about  :-DD

(had the same kit at it)

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #123015 on: June 15, 2022, 10:32:26 pm »
   HP + HP + HP !!!  8)

That's my kind of talk!  :clap:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, bd139, Atomillo

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #123016 on: June 15, 2022, 10:37:05 pm »

David

Even cheaper, at £20: https://www.gumtree.com/p/hobbies-collectibles/signal-generator-and-storage-oscilloscope/1434900042
1. An Advance Signal Generator Type SG66.
2. A Tektronix Type 564 Dual Channel Storage Oscilloscope.

I don't have room to store them anywhere remotely suitable; it would have to be a leaky garden shed!

That SG66. Want. 
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #123017 on: June 15, 2022, 10:38:01 pm »
   HP + HP + HP !!!  8)

Oh boo + boo + and boo.  :P :P :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #123018 on: June 15, 2022, 10:41:39 pm »
   HP + HP + HP !!!  8)

It won his heart even without all the knobs!  :-DD
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: Vince

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123019 on: June 15, 2022, 10:57:44 pm »
   HP + HP + HP !!!  8)

you sir........ are not a gentleman!
free range primate

The following users thanked this post: Brumby, Cubdriver, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123020 on: June 15, 2022, 11:00:21 pm »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, nixiefreqq

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123021 on: June 15, 2022, 11:11:07 pm »

I think it fits well enough to be used:      -Pat

*mega-dwagon-cringe*

mnem
Fear not, that was for illustrative purposes only - no way in hell I'm cutting a lead on a working nixie driver IC! -Pat

I know that logically... but the reaction is completely involuntary. Like wanting to *blerk*every time you hear "orgon energy"...  :-DD

mnem
*toddles off to nuke a fridge*

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123022 on: June 15, 2022, 11:19:29 pm »
HP SCOPE

OMG Vince you are giving me flashbacks to when I actually had a job I gave a shit about  :-DD

(had the same kit at it)

My pleasure BD !!  :-+

Here is some more !  >:D

Just checked the easter eggs !  >:D

Not knowing the magic key sequence, and not wanting to miss on anything, I Googled and found this nice website specialized in archiving Easter eggs for all sorts of stuff, including my very scope model the 54645D :

https://eeggs.com/items/556.html

Was a nice surprise...

1) I have a game and it's NOT the ones I always see , Tetris and Asteroid. Nope this one was a surprise, never seen it before... it's called "Bugs", a shooting game ! I scored over 5,000 points on my first attempt, not bad ! >:D

2) Turns out the scope has TWO eggs ! I also have the vector drawing routine, that draws that badger animal and developer credits.

3) There is also access to a hidden " H/W hacking " menu ! Wow never heard of that one ! There are too many menus and sub menus, I got lost / overwhelmed pretty quickly... would be neat if that site could show a tree structure overview of all the menus and options available, and explain what they do.... 
At first glance it gives you access to lots of internal RAM variables, at the very least.

I don't know if there is an egg stored in the I/O module plugged at the back of the scope... I unplugged it to see if that made a difference, but no. I still get access to both the game and the badger.
So if there is something in that module, I don't know how to access it. Google didn't help so I guess that means no egg in that module, snif....

« Last Edit: June 15, 2022, 11:44:29 pm by Vince »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, ch_scr, factory, TERRA Operative, cyclin_al, Zoli

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123023 on: June 15, 2022, 11:52:12 pm »
HP SCOPE

Some more... now the I/O Module at the back !  8)

Cracked it open.

There are 5 tantalum caps in there...

... and two NVRAM chips, because one is not enough.

There is the usual one made by Dallas, P/N  DS1244Y-120

The other one is made by ST, P/N  M48Z128Y-120PM1

I guess I could download their datasheet, see which pin if any, gives access to the internal battyery voltage, so I can measure it and get a feel for just how scared I should be....

OK that's it for to "day".. soon 2AM, going to bed.  :=\

More HP fun tomorrow of course, that goes without saying !!!  >:D

Don't like it ? Too bad, it's TE, it's on topic, so you can't complain, sorry !  :-DD

« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 12:13:32 am by Vince »

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, mnementh, ch_scr, TERRA Operative, cyclin_al, m k

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123024 on: June 16, 2022, 12:16:26 am »
@Vince, I'm glad that you're seeing just how good that scope is, but please don't run away with the idea that you have just entered the modern era now you have that, you already had an extremely capable scope with your Phillips/Fluke combiscope. Both the HP and the combiscope are digital and very good scopes, so you are well setup in that Dept now.  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, srb1954

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf