Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 36154707 times)

Gertjan and 4525 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online factory

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3756
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #134700 on: September 03, 2023, 07:47:32 pm »
And the motherboard component layout.

Probably another 20+ scans to do the rest of the manual, dependant on available free time. Will see how easy it is to learn how to do a PDF without using MS programs, since redating the PC a few years ago, I got rid of MS office and added Libre Office.

Not really TE related, does anyone have any recommendations for an SLC type Compact Flash drive (around 1GB, 2GB), to replace a HDD in an old Toshiba 110CS laptop (1996 vintage)? I've done a re-capicide and failed to destroy it in the process. Oddly drivers for this laptop seem to still be available from Dynabook.  :o
I'm intending to use it with the Solartron 7081 DVM via RS232, haven't got room to setup an old desktop PC, plus they tend to be rather noisy and use lots of power.

David
« Last Edit: September 03, 2023, 08:18:27 pm by factory »
 
The following users thanked this post: m k

Offline m k

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3489
  • Country: fi
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #134701 on: September 03, 2023, 08:00:14 pm »
What are you talkin about, those are excellent pictures.
I've used worse ones professionally for volume stuff, hmm..maybe volume was actually helping.

Can't see what metal can is, but I'm quite sure I'm seeing 472, did these have dates.

HV and 14V are present, 11V I missed but two >6V zeners were present.
Must check closer how high the HV actually is, now I thing it's close to 180V.

Seems that Panaplex driver is not connecting.
PNP quartet have their HV and something is also present somewhere low around the display module and pulsing.
But still can't lit any dots.

Bottom add-on is connected between U1899E JFET(black ball top) and 2nd last side wafer switch.
3rd wire seems to be just a loose one under a heat-shrink.
(so it actually was a resistor)

Everything seems to original, that sophisticated banana connection also.
Advance-Aneng-Appa-AVO-Beckman-Danbridge-Data Precision-Data Tech-Fluke-General Radio-H. W. Sullivan-Heathkit-HP-Kaise-Kyoritsu-Leeds & Northrup-Mastech-OR-X-REO-Schneider-Simpson-Sinclair-Tektronix-Tokyo Rikosha-Topward-Triplett-Tritron-YFE
(plus work shop of the world unknowns)
 
The following users thanked this post: factory

Online factory

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3756
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #134702 on: September 03, 2023, 08:16:48 pm »
Might be worth looking at the Sperry displays data and trying to test the display board separately, think I read somewhere they can be reluctant to light sometimes if not used for a few decades.
https://www.waynekirkwood.com/images/pdf/Sperry_Information_Displays_Catalog_1973.pdf

David
 

Online factory

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3756
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #134703 on: September 03, 2023, 08:56:00 pm »
Not everyone likes Genrad GR874 adaptors, but one of these sets is nice to have (not all adaptors shown in my picture), still had to buy a separate APC-7 to N adaptor, also have N cables up to 2m length.

David
I feel a challenge here. Let's see who can first show this kit in GR900!
 >:D

Might be a while before I need any GR900 adaptors, haven't got any TE here that uses them yet.  :-X
I've got a few Tek & HP TE that use the Genrad GR874, therefore the adaptor kit was essential to use them with some of the other TE.

David
 
The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Online zepto

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 104
  • Country: us
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #134704 on: September 04, 2023, 01:24:35 am »
Two similar devices. Adret 103a and Takeda Riken TR6120.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2023, 07:46:20 pm by zepto »
 
The following users thanked this post: ch_scr, factory, AVGresponding, EggertEnjoyer123

Offline AVGresponding

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 5478
  • Country: england
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #134705 on: September 04, 2023, 04:47:06 am »
Might be worth looking at the Sperry displays data and trying to test the display board separately, think I read somewhere they can be reluctant to light sometimes if not used for a few decades.
https://www.waynekirkwood.com/images/pdf/Sperry_Information_Displays_Catalog_1973.pdf

David

No, they pretty much light or they don't. I'm going off a sample size of 3-digits of NOS. If you're giving them 180VDC through a 390k (470k for the DP) they will strike. If they don't, even 300VDC won't help, they're just DOA.

The only effect you do get, is some will light unevenly, and running them for a while seems to help somewhat, but the strike voltage remains the same and raising the run current seems to make no difference, it's just a good bit of on time that helps them recover somewhat.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT
 

Offline Zoli

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 799
  • Country: ca
  • Grumpy old men
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #134706 on: September 04, 2023, 07:04:24 am »
...
Not really TE related, does anyone have any recommendations for an SLC type Compact Flash drive (around 1GB, 2GB), to replace a HDD in an old Toshiba 110CS laptop (1996 vintage)? I've done a re-capicide and failed to destroy it in the process. Oddly drivers for this laptop seem to still be available from Dynabook.  :o
I'm intending to use it with the Solartron 7081 DVM via RS232, haven't got room to setup an old desktop PC, plus they tend to be rather noisy and use lots of power.

David
If 256MB is enough, I have one lying around(winsystems cflash); PM if interested.
 

Offline TERRA Operative

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4085
  • Country: jp
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #134707 on: September 04, 2023, 08:05:07 am »
The Transcend Industrial CF170 series cards aren't too expensive and can be used as HDD replacements.
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/
 

Offline timeandfrequency

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 497
  • Country: fr
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #134708 on: September 04, 2023, 09:29:58 am »
HEEELP !!!

I urgently need a HJC0282-010022, that is a very vanilla RJ45 connector but form older times where they had a 0.1" pitch and a strange shifted pattern of the pins. It should be a simple task to fine one, I have something like 10 different models, but none compatible.

@Neomys -> you're my only hope around !!!, but any help is welcome. A compatible drop-in replacement will be a real treat.

Datasheet attached, see page 10 for footprint and sizes.

 Many thanks,
 DC1MC
At first, I thought AMP 5555141-3 (TE now, Buerklin No. 37P3122 might fit, but it has the locking tab at the bottom.
But as I looked at the myriad of RJ-45 that TE makes, I see several footprints which are close to the one you are looking for, including ones with the locking tab on top. You might have to cut off the shield pins and/or take a needle file to the large holes (6.6 to 6.36 is not exactly much) or did I overlook something completely?
What do you mean by 'shifted pattern of the pins'? The staggered layout in two lines (2.54 longitudinally and lateral)  is still widely available, but AMP for example gives the footprint from the component side, whereas Hosiden gives it from below.

What are the most critical dimensions for you except the PCB footprint? Are your contacts all used or might a 8P4C variant do the trick? And how fast/critical are your signals? There are some older RJ jacks which have little pigtails instead of PCB pins - could they work?
I don't think that I have one here (will verify tomorrow), but I can take a look at the legacy parts tower on Tuesday.
Also, give Terra Operative a heads-up, because it's from Japan and he might know whom to ask in Akihabara.

Hi DC1MC,
Yes, the shifted pin pattern seem to be used to identify top tab female RJ45 connectors.
Perhaps ask https://www.l-p.com/ for support if they could provide any compatible part that match to your need (however for their vanilla parts, the pitch is 1,02 mm).
 

Offline Robert763

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3055
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #134709 on: September 04, 2023, 05:28:52 pm »
Not everyone likes Genrad GR874 adaptors, but one of these sets is nice to have (not all adaptors shown in my picture), still had to buy a separate APC-7 to N adaptor, also have N cables up to 2m length.

David
I feel a challenge here. Let's see who can first show this kit in GR900!
 >:D

Missed this first time around. Challenge accepted!

3 GR900 to Greenpar adaptors.

They will go with one of my 3 small Greenpar interseries kits
Or the medium one
Or the big one which already has 3 GR900s and a couple of GR874s

I also have at least 6 other boxes of adaptors inluding to waveguide.

Robert G8RPI
« Last Edit: September 04, 2023, 05:31:35 pm by Robert763 »
 
The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens, ch_scr, EggertEnjoyer123

Offline Vince

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4564
  • Country: fr
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #134710 on: September 04, 2023, 08:53:23 pm »
Probably another 20+ scans to do the rest of the manual, dependant on available free time. Will see how easy it is to learn how to do a PDF without using MS programs, since redating the PC a few years ago, I got rid of MS office and added Libre Office.

It couldn't be easier. Just paste your scanned images into the word processor in Libreoffice, then go to the File menu and select the option " Export as PDF" ....  :)

« Last Edit: September 04, 2023, 08:55:23 pm by Vince »
 

Online zepto

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 104
  • Country: us
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #134711 on: September 05, 2023, 01:14:05 am »
Might be worth looking at the Sperry displays data and trying to test the display board separately, think I read somewhere they can be reluctant to light sometimes if not used for a few decades.
https://www.waynekirkwood.com/images/pdf/Sperry_Information_Displays_Catalog_1973.pdf

David

No, they pretty much light or they don't. I'm going off a sample size of 3-digits of NOS. If you're giving them 180VDC through a 390k (470k for the DP) they will strike. If they don't, even 300VDC won't help, they're just DOA.

The only effect you do get, is some will light unevenly, and running them for a while seems to help somewhat, but the strike voltage remains the same and raising the run current seems to make no difference, it's just a good bit of on time that helps them recover somewhat.


I have an ESI 251 with a panaplex display. Last time I turned it on, the display did not come on for several minutes. It did turn on eventually, though. I might just have marginal power supply voltages or a weak joint. I did not take any measurements, so this is not a very useful anecdote.
 

Offline DC1MC

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1925
  • Country: de
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #134712 on: September 05, 2023, 11:00:27 am »
...
Hi DC1MC,
Yes, the shifted pin pattern seem to be used to identify top tab female RJ45 connectors.
Perhaps ask https://www.l-p.com/ for support if they could provide any compatible part that match to your need (however for their vanilla parts, the pitch is 1,02 mm).

This is exactly what I've done, I've paid a grand totale of 99cents for such a part, used a fine pliers and adjusted the pitch and epoxied it on the board, the counterpart on the main unit was also epoxied because they are not shilded. Works like a charm :).

 Cheers,
 DC1MC
 

Offline m k

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3489
  • Country: fi
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #134713 on: September 05, 2023, 07:11:24 pm »
Seems that Panaplex driver is not connecting.

Pin 20 of display PCB is unused 5th digit, pins 4 pulsed 180V, it's for 4th and 5th anode, so pin 20 is active.
From pin 20 to GND through 390k I got only few tenths of millivolts, I think it should be more.
Over 270k display PCB DP resistors were only some faint something, GND side was nothing so wafer is ok.
The machine is now left on over night but I think there is something else.
I also tried currency but got nothing, so maybe above voltages are correct, they were scoped using DSO138 and P6122.
Maybe I should connect that pin 20 permanently.

BTW,
off switch started working when supply was moved to before it.

OT,
iron is heavy, even lighter parts in large quantities.
Moving quantities is also an excellent demonstration of how near the surface is water in a human being.

OT2,
it may be a surprise that major part of fat is leaving a body through lungs.
Advance-Aneng-Appa-AVO-Beckman-Danbridge-Data Precision-Data Tech-Fluke-General Radio-H. W. Sullivan-Heathkit-HP-Kaise-Kyoritsu-Leeds & Northrup-Mastech-OR-X-REO-Schneider-Simpson-Sinclair-Tektronix-Tokyo Rikosha-Topward-Triplett-Tritron-YFE
(plus work shop of the world unknowns)
 

Offline EggertEnjoyer123

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 523
  • Country: us
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #134714 on: September 06, 2023, 05:40:16 am »
I can't resist buying RF signal generators. This is literally my 6th RF signal generator.

For 14.8 dB$ I bought this dead IFR 2026Q. (Pro tip: if your wife or family asks how much you spent on test equipment give them the answer in dB$).

It does not power up. The problem seems to be with the PSU, as none of the fans spin up when power is applied. I also took out the PSU and it seems broken even with no load.  Unfortunately, the problem is harder than a broken fuse. (Surprisingly, all fuses are OK and everything passes visual inspection). There is no enable pin on the PSU (like with computer power supplies), therefore I'm pretty sure the problem is entirely in the PSU section. Hopefully I never have to take apart the RF part because it apparently has beryllium oxide.

It is getting rather late here so I'll take a look tomorrow.
 
The following users thanked this post: ch_scr, duckduck

Offline ch_scr

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 942
  • Country: de
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #134715 on: September 06, 2023, 06:35:57 am »
On of those special modular power supplys, I think TheSignalPath had a problem with one once - not sure if he solved it by buying a similar one or repaired it.
 

Offline EggertEnjoyer123

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 523
  • Country: us
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #134716 on: September 06, 2023, 06:46:41 am »
It looks like it might be an issue with leaky caps. Upon further visual inspection it seems like some caps have leaked.

The supply is interesting - there are two transformers, one for isolation and one for actually generating the voltage. The fan supplied with the power supply does not spin when power is applied. I verified that the fan works with a bench power supply, so the issue is definitely further upstream. A replacement power supply seems to cost 200 bucks, which is way too much.

I already verified that the input filter works and the fuse on there is fine.

Here are some more pictures of it.

The inside of the power supply was very dusty. Not fun!

Edit: I looked again and it seems like the fan is running off an auxillary power supply, which seems to power the rest of the power supply. The problem is most likely within this subsection of the power supply, which is nice because it should be the simplest portion.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2023, 07:08:22 am by EggertEnjoyer123 »
 
The following users thanked this post: factory

Offline TERRA Operative

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4085
  • Country: jp
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #134717 on: September 06, 2023, 07:03:53 am »
I'd throw a set of caps in. Usually the really big ones are ok as they only really see low frequency ripple from the input rectifier (I pull one and test it, if it's good, the rest of the same type are likely good too).

I just recapped a HP 53132A that came alive straight away after new caps were installed (besides that big cap, it was fine).
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/
 

Offline Neomys Sapiens

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3268
  • Country: de
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #134718 on: September 06, 2023, 02:59:58 pm »

Missed this first time around. Challenge accepted!

3 GR900 to Greenpar adaptors.

They will go with one of my 3 small Greenpar interseries kits
Or the medium one
Or the big one which already has 3 GR900s and a couple of GR874s

I also have at least 6 other boxes of adaptors inluding to waveguide.

Robert G8RPI
I stand at 3 GR900 adaptors too, but not for Greenpar (N-m/N-f/BNC-m). As well as a original GenRad sliding line and a SWR1.05 normal.

That last kit of yours is a wet dream - I would willingly sell my firstborn for it...wait, I only have an adopted daughter which is married. And that guy is larger than me. Dang!

Did I see right that this kit has both SC and LC connectors? It also has several ones whichI could not ID yet. Do you have documentation for it or a picture where all the labels are readable? That would be very interesting!
 

Offline AVGresponding

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 5478
  • Country: england
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #134719 on: September 06, 2023, 04:27:01 pm »

Missed this first time around. Challenge accepted!

3 GR900 to Greenpar adaptors.

They will go with one of my 3 small Greenpar interseries kits
Or the medium one
Or the big one which already has 3 GR900s and a couple of GR874s

I also have at least 6 other boxes of adaptors inluding to waveguide.

Robert G8RPI
I stand at 3 GR900 adaptors too, but not for Greenpar (N-m/N-f/BNC-m). As well as a original GenRad sliding line and a SWR1.05 normal.

That last kit of yours is a wet dream - I would willingly sell my firstborn for it...wait, I only have an adopted daughter which is married. And that guy is larger than me. Dang!

Did I see right that this kit has both SC and LC connectors? It also has several ones whichI could not ID yet. Do you have documentation for it or a picture where all the labels are readable? That would be very interesting!

Recently acquired some Keithley TE that is almost certainly for frequencies higher than anything anyone else here has...   :popcorn:

I posted some pics in Discord, but obviously that's not much good, so I'll make a thread in The Other Place.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT
 

Offline Robert763

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3055
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #134720 on: September 06, 2023, 05:29:05 pm »
It looks like it might be an issue with leaky caps. Upon further visual inspection it seems like some caps have leaked.

The supply is interesting - there are two transformers, one for isolation and one for actually generating the voltage. The fan supplied with the power supply does not spin when power is applied. I verified that the fan works with a bench power supply, so the issue is definitely further upstream. A replacement power supply seems to cost 200 bucks, which is way too much.

I already verified that the input filter works and the fuse on there is fine.

Here are some more pictures of it.

The inside of the power supply was very dusty. Not fun!

Edit: I looked again and it seems like the fan is running off an auxillary power supply, which seems to power the rest of the power supply. The problem is most likely within this subsection of the power supply, which is nice because it should be the simplest portion.

Check any high value resistors at the input side. A lot of these supplies use a simple resisitive dropper to generate enough voltage to kick start the switching circuit.

Robert.
 

Offline Robert763

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3055
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #134721 on: September 06, 2023, 05:42:29 pm »

Missed this first time around. Challenge accepted!

3 GR900 to Greenpar adaptors.

They will go with one of my 3 small Greenpar interseries kits
Or the medium one
Or the big one which already has 3 GR900s and a couple of GR874s

I also have at least 6 other boxes of adaptors inluding to waveguide.

Robert G8RPI
I stand at 3 GR900 adaptors too, but not for Greenpar (N-m/N-f/BNC-m). As well as a original GenRad sliding line and a SWR1.05 normal.

That last kit of yours is a wet dream - I would willingly sell my firstborn for it...wait, I only have an adopted daughter which is married. And that guy is larger than me. Dang!

Did I see right that this kit has both SC and LC connectors? It also has several ones whichI could not ID yet. Do you have documentation for it or a picture where all the labels are readable? That would be very interesting!

Yes it is a very nice kit ex military. It has SC, LC and some I've never heard of.  I'm a bit of a sucker for the greenpar interseries kits and adaptors generally. It is marker with the connector types.

EDIT: There is a less complete one on this auction https://www.ppauctions.com/lot/182543/lot-133?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2023, 05:46:27 pm by Robert763 »
 

Online factory

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3756
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #134722 on: September 06, 2023, 06:20:52 pm »
Re: the GR900 adaptor set challenge, I was expecting something more like this.....



David
 

Offline Robert763

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3055
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #134723 on: September 06, 2023, 07:37:20 pm »
My Greenpar kit will do all those (SMA, TNC, N, C GR874) to GR900 and many more...
 

Offline Neomys Sapiens

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3268
  • Country: de
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #134724 on: September 06, 2023, 11:50:03 pm »

EDIT: There is a less complete one on this auction https://www.ppauctions.com/lot/182543/lot-133?
Dang - their payment requirements prevent me from bidding. If anyone takes part, I would be in for this with 120pounds plus costs/fees/taxes.

P.S.: You already know that all red isolators are 75 Ohms, right?
 


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf

 

-->