Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 35866981 times)

factory and 4402 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online tggzzz

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 23122
  • Country: gb
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #135775 on: February 09, 2024, 12:12:56 am »
The power supply circuit is the weirdest one I've ever seen. I'd like to shoot the guy who designed it

Oh, you lucky person!

You can look forward to the joy of understanding the Tek 1502 power supply.
Even when connected to the mains, it cuts out if the NiCd battery is missing.
Leaving the battery in causes the battery to be discharged in ~1month, thereby reverse-charging the weakest cell.
Leaving the battery on charge for >16 hours shortens the battery lifetime, probably due to the charging current's high crest factor.
Key component is a PUJT. Remember those?

On the plus side, it can be operatied in driving rain and stored under 1ft of water.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2024, 12:14:53 am by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less
 

Offline EggertEnjoyer123

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 521
  • Country: us
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #135776 on: February 09, 2024, 09:14:12 pm »
After resoldering every joint in the power supply section, the scope now powers up.

There is still an arcing noise sometimes which causes the power supply to shut off. Also, the intensity seems to be high, and turning the intensity knob causes the trace to stretch horizontally (the trace becomes more stretched out at high intensity).
 

Offline Martin.M

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 998
  • Country: de
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #135777 on: February 11, 2024, 07:03:01 pm »
 
The following users thanked this post: PA0PBZ, ch_scr, Kosmic, m k, Peter_O

Offline Neomys Sapiens

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3268
  • Country: de
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #135778 on: February 12, 2024, 06:06:44 am »
 

Offline Messtechniker

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 920
  • Country: de
  • Old analog audio hand - No voodoo.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #135779 on: February 12, 2024, 04:56:53 pm »
With firefox I get this:
Agilent 34465A, Siglent SDG 2042X, Hameg HMO1022, R&S HMC 8043, Peaktech 2025A, Voltcraft VC 940, M-Audio Audiophile 192, R&S Psophometer UPGR, 3 Transistor Testers, DL4JAL Transistor Curve Tracer, UT622E LCR meter, UT216C AC/DC Clamp Meter
 

Offline Vince

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4564
  • Country: fr
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #135780 on: February 12, 2024, 05:09:51 pm »
No video for me either, I got only the sound track, whose beginning was like type writer / old cash register style...at first I thought it was the intro of " Money " from Dire straits....   8)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2024, 05:11:30 pm by Vince »
 

Offline Martin.M

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 998
  • Country: de
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #135781 on: February 12, 2024, 07:54:32 pm »
this may go better.

https://youtu.be/-vNA3So645Y
 
The following users thanked this post: Peter_O

Offline Vince

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4564
  • Country: fr
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #135782 on: February 12, 2024, 08:10:51 pm »
Works much better indeed, thanks !

Wow I just love plotters.... it's just so therapeutic to see them do their magic one bit at a time.
I got the scope, just need the plotter !  ;D
One of these days...

Only drawback is how freaking long it takes to plot.. makes you think twice before hitting that "Hard Copy" button on the scope !  ;D

 

Offline Martin.M

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 998
  • Country: de
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #135783 on: February 12, 2024, 08:25:04 pm »
makes Fun but this Tek can overheat the work room...
it was 2 hours running, then here was 29 degrees  :o
there are 3 fans at the rear, no tubes inside.
 

Offline Vince

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4564
  • Country: fr
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #135784 on: February 12, 2024, 09:53:52 pm »
Yes I remember seeing pics of the back of the DSA with its 3 fans... it did scare me. You just confirmed that I was right to be scared....
I have its predecessor, an 11,000 series scope, and it's got only one fan and is pretty quiet for such a beast, so I actually wouldn't mind actually using it for more than a 5 minute test.
But first I need a cart to move it around, or build a new lab with much, much heavier duty shelves !  :scared:

For now I think building a cart is by far the easiest, quickest and cheapest option. So I will start with that. Said cart will also be useful to play with all my 500 series hollow-state Tek scopes.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2024, 09:59:10 pm by Vince »
 

Offline Peter_O

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 485
  • Country: de
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #135785 on: February 13, 2024, 04:09:23 pm »
I stumbled over a manual for the HP 3457A in E$'s 'Kleinanzeigen'.
Always nice to have an original one.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2024, 04:15:27 pm by Peter_O »
 
The following users thanked this post: Martin.M, Vince, BU508A, wolfy007, ch_scr, m k

Offline Martin.M

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 998
  • Country: de
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #135786 on: February 13, 2024, 06:59:24 pm »
and now you will make a scan from that for us?  8)
 

Offline TERRA Operative

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4084
  • Country: jp
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #135787 on: February 13, 2024, 11:27:29 pm »
Scan it in colour at 600DPI, stick it on google drive/dropbox etc and I can automate it through Photoshop to crunch it down into a PDF. I have a workflow set up that makes it all pretty easy and mostly automatic to do.
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/
 

Offline Peter_O

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 485
  • Country: de
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #135788 on: February 14, 2024, 07:58:00 am »
and now you will make a scan from that for us?  8)

I've no scan equipment available to surpass the quality of the official keysigth scan.  :scared:

https://www.keysight.com/us/en/assets/9018-05670/user-manuals/9018-05670.pdf

And even the best scan possible cannot properly replace the haptic feeling reading the original manual.  :)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2024, 08:00:52 am by Peter_O »
 

Offline TheDefpom

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 951
  • Country: nz
  • YouTuber Nerd - I Fix Stuff
    • The Defpom's Channel
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #135789 on: February 14, 2024, 08:11:57 am »
If I had the time I could scan my one... I have a CZUR book scanner, but at the moment I am so damn busy.
Cheers Scott

Check out my Electronics Repair, Mailbag, or Review Videos at https://www.youtube.com/TheDefpom
 

Offline m k

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3487
  • Country: fi
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #135790 on: February 14, 2024, 09:18:12 am »
and now you will make a scan from that for us?  8)

I've no scan equipment available to surpass the quality of the official keysigth scan.  :scared:

Yes, you have.
Figure 1 of official scan is clearly a product of Cambridge five.
Advance-Aneng-Appa-AVO-Beckman-Danbridge-Data Precision-Data Tech-Fluke-General Radio-H. W. Sullivan-Heathkit-HP-Kaise-Kyoritsu-Leeds & Northrup-Mastech-OR-X-REO-Schneider-Simpson-Sinclair-Tektronix-Tokyo Rikosha-Topward-Triplett-Tritron-YFE
(plus work shop of the world unknowns)
 

Offline Robert763

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3055
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #135791 on: February 14, 2024, 12:32:17 pm »
He means microfilm....
 

Offline Martin.M

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 998
  • Country: de
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #135792 on: February 14, 2024, 06:15:12 pm »
3457A, a useful instrument with a rotten LCD display

 
The following users thanked this post: duckduck, m k

Offline m k

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3487
  • Country: fi
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #135793 on: February 14, 2024, 06:28:19 pm »
He means microfilm....

So the made available one is unofficial and official is kept secret?

Something else in the picture.
Advance-Aneng-Appa-AVO-Beckman-Danbridge-Data Precision-Data Tech-Fluke-General Radio-H. W. Sullivan-Heathkit-HP-Kaise-Kyoritsu-Leeds & Northrup-Mastech-OR-X-REO-Schneider-Simpson-Sinclair-Tektronix-Tokyo Rikosha-Topward-Triplett-Tritron-YFE
(plus work shop of the world unknowns)
 

Online wkb

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1156
  • Country: nl
  • PA1WBU
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #135794 on: February 14, 2024, 06:34:26 pm »
3457A, a useful instrument with a rotten LCD display

Not rotten, just not backlit. It escapes me why HP did that (I have multiple HP T&M boxes with this kind of display).
 

Offline GraXXoR

  • Contributor
  • Posts: 18
  • Country: jp
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #135795 on: February 14, 2024, 06:52:21 pm »
Anyone have any experience with the GoodWill INSTEK GDM-8255A desktop multimeter?
I can't seem to find any information on it other than their own gumph and a few voiceless informercials... does seems unpopular...

Do you know if there is a "next gen" or "previous gen" device that was more popular with reviews or anything?

The reason why I ask is that I see one in mint condition calibrated until August '24 that was used at home during lockdown for what seems like a nice price. ($140).

I have been looking at the tried and tested Agilent/HP 34401A which show up daily but are often in really beaten up condition and their price can escalate quite a bit in auction if in anywhere approaching good condition... Moreover the 34410 which 'm really interested in blows up in the bidding at auction, so I end up bowing out every time.

Does anyone know if the 8255A can hold its own against the 34401A? I really don't need 6 digits of precision but my handheld multimeters' refresh rates leave much to be desired and watching the videos, the 8255 has a fairl decent update cadence.

The VFD on the device I'm looking at looks really bright, indeed factory fresh and the rubber bumpers are completely free from marks.

Final question, does it have a fan? If so, is it noisy? I intend to use this at home at night and ended up replacing my Rigol 832 fan with a Noctua...

Any help appreciated.
 

Online factory

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3756
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #135796 on: February 14, 2024, 07:58:08 pm »
GDM-8255A is 199999 count 5½ digit, not even close to a HPAK 34401A/34410A (6½ digit);
https://static.rapidonline.com/pdf/90-6195.pdf

A couple of other GW Instek bench DMMs on here.

GDM-8251A, 120000 count 5½ digit;
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/inside-a-gwinstek-gdm-8251a-bench-multimeter/

GDM-8341, 50000 count 4½ digit;
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/quick-gw-instek-gdm-8341-bench-dmm-teardown-review/

David
« Last Edit: February 14, 2024, 08:06:00 pm by factory »
 
The following users thanked this post: GraXXoR

Offline GraXXoR

  • Contributor
  • Posts: 18
  • Country: jp
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #135797 on: February 14, 2024, 08:21:30 pm »
Thank you for pulling those links.

Haden't seem them, since I was included 8255 in my search.
 
Very Interesting! But as I suspected, very little information on the 8255A itself. The 8251 appeared to be more popular...

But it seems the 8255A was more expensive and less popular.

One thing that is a positive, is that it looks a lot smaller with the guy holding in that I thought. Also, doesn't appear to have a fan.

Anyway, for half the cost of my GW121, I think I'm going to pull the trigger. I can always resell it on Yahoo if it turns out to be not my cup of tea.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2024, 08:32:35 pm by GraXXoR »
 

Offline Peter_O

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 485
  • Country: de
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #135798 on: February 14, 2024, 08:32:19 pm »
3457A, a useful instrument with a rotten LCD display
Sure, I like the good old LED ones better, but it stands for a generation ...

« Last Edit: February 14, 2024, 08:33:53 pm by Peter_O »
 
The following users thanked this post: Vince, ch_scr, Zoli, EggertEnjoyer123

Offline cosmicray

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 343
  • Country: us
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #135799 on: February 14, 2024, 11:04:05 pm »
Wow I just love plotters.... it's just so therapeutic to see them do their magic one bit at a time.
I got the scope, just need the plotter !  ;D
One of these days...

Only drawback is how freaking long it takes to plot.. makes you think twice before hitting that "Hard Copy" button on the scope !  ;D
I have an HP-7580B here. Was not aware that it could be interfaced to scope. Bought it used a long time ago, drew some house plans with it. Considering how seldom it's powered on, trying to decide if it needs a new home. This is an upright floor model that does up to D-size, and the pen carousel holds 8-pens, otherwise similar to what is in the video.
it's only funny until someone gets hurt, then it's hilarious - R. Rabbit
 


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf

 

-->