-group-therapy-thread/?action=dlattach;attach=2024216;image)
Boy that was quick, I have already received the meter !

Quick test ride.
- Needs a good cleaning...
- LCD window needs sanding/polishing, lots of scratches
- LCD is a tad dim at a normal viewing angle. Thought maybe battery is weak but no it's brand new and kicking ass. My tongue is still recovering.
So maybe some zebra strips need reseating or cleaning. Though I have to confess, after 30 minutes using it, it seemed to improve. So maybe just needs to be used and it will be fine.
Maybe it's been sitting for many years.
- Diode test : works
- Current ranges : work
- "ADP" range : no idea what this mode does, need to go download the manual to learn about it
- Frequency measurement : fine, mains reads 50,0 Hz
Now for the stuff that doesn't quite work : some "ghosting" going on.
- Ohms range : open circuit, it reads 4+ Megs....
If I short the probes, reads 0 as it should. If I measure precision resistors, it reads up to 10% off. The higher the resistance value the higher the discrepancy, well more or less :
350 reads 349.8
916,67 reads 906
1K reads 985 or 988 (have two of them)
10K reads 9.3+ K
30K reads 27.75K
50K 45.5K
So my theory is : it's got a leak in the front end that makes it read 4+ Mg open-circuit. A constant leak would be like putting a 4.5Meg resistor in // with the actual resistor I am trying to measure. So it makes sense that it affects the reading more and more as the resistor under test is high in value.
- Vdc : open circuit, it reads negative 2.5 or 3.7V !

if I short the probes I get a solid 0.001 and if I measure the voltage of my lab supply varying from 0 to 30V, it reads just fine. So it's only open-circuit that it displays this gigantic ghost voltage.
- Vac : 5mv open-circuit. If I measure mains I get 230V or so, as does my Fluke 11 (it's winter, mains voltage is very low compared to summer where I get almost 250V)
So the problem only affects the DC path not AC.
So to sum it up, ghost readings in ohms and DC volts.
Probably a dirty PCB/front end... I will crack it open this week-end to give it a good clean inside out, might fix the problem.... if not, will need to investigate.
Will download the manual to learn how to use its many features, because the buttons labeling is kinda cryptic, sometimes it feels like I am reading an assembly language source code or something.... press this button to load register A into the accumulator, press this button to store it into register A0[y].... it's not exactly as intuitive as my MX 53/54/56 for example.
But... in some masochistic way, I find it kinda cool actually ! Feels very geeky I guess ?!
