Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 15348480 times)

shakalnokturn, marcumr, Robert763 and 27 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #136250 on: May 10, 2024, 09:08:47 am »
Thanks for the info David. Let me know if you might be interested in the remains of mine to enrich your collection... I think I will keep it for a few days then it will dispose of it ....  :-[
« Last Edit: May 10, 2024, 09:11:12 am by Vince »

The following users thanked this post: factory

Online Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #136251 on: May 10, 2024, 03:33:52 pm »
Hi Vince,
Factory said it all. Bit of info on repair here:
https://www.samuelritchie.com/repair-hp10525a
For some reason the complete probes have been fetching a fair bit on ebay in rcent years.
I have few HP logic troubleshooting bits including a probe, pulser, currrent tracer, clip and comparator. don't really need any more.

Robert.

The following users thanked this post: factory

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #136252 on: May 10, 2024, 07:02:05 pm »
Thanks for the links, interesting. There is more electronics inside this thing than I would have believed given its vintage...

OK so looks like there is not much hope to rescue this little guy then... at least I tried, I gave him a chance...

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #136253 on: May 10, 2024, 08:40:33 pm »
Thanks for the info David. Let me know if you might be interested in the remains of mine to enrich your collection... I think I will keep it for a few days then it will dispose of it ....  :-[

Yes I would be very interested in saving this early version of the HP logic probe & adding it to my collection  ;), seems they redesigned the circuit to use less parts for the 1973 "T" version. The tips are almost certainly the same types, that can be used with the HP or Tek scope probes of similar age.

If it needs a new lamp, I won't ruin it with a crappy blue/white LED.

Thanks Robert for the link that shows what is inside, I would never have guessed it was different otherwise. The logic kits seem to be popular with repairers of older computer & arcade boards, can't understand why they are willing to pay crazy money for them though.  :-//

David
« Last Edit: May 10, 2024, 08:43:12 pm by factory »

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #136254 on: May 11, 2024, 07:24:54 am »
Yes ! Little guy just found a new home !  :D  Thanks David ! :-+

I will send it shortly.

Yes please no blue LED... when I saw that in this repair PDF I just couldn't believe my eyes, I was appalled... I was hoping someone who can appreciate vintage stuff would be a little different from the blue LED band wagon but looks like no, I was wrong, the dreaded blue LED trend has corrupted even the tiniest of niches  :scared:

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #136255 on: May 11, 2024, 01:04:28 pm »
Rather than go for the overpriced manuals on ePay for the 10525A (two of which are $50 each, more than a listing for a probe complete with the manual at $35 :palm:), I've done some research and have found out a patent was issued for this HP logic probe, it contains a description of the circuit and a circuit diagram (differs slightly from the 1969 variant in the repair im-pair pdf, which has an extra diode & resistor).

The only IC is a quad TTL Nand gate from TI, the later probe appears to have a custom IC, possibly related to adding the dim lamp mode for detecting open circuits, as well as reducing the parts count.

David
« Last Edit: May 11, 2024, 02:01:08 pm by factory »

The following users thanked this post: Vince

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #136256 on: May 12, 2024, 10:31:39 am »
Rather than go for the overpriced manuals on ePay for the 10525A (two of which are $50 each, more than a listing for a probe complete with the manual at $35 :palm:), I've done some research and have found out a patent was issued for this HP logic probe, it contains a description of the circuit and a circuit diagram (differs slightly from the 1969 variant in the repair im-pair pdf, which has an extra diode & resistor).

The only IC is a quad TTL Nand gate from TI, the later probe appears to have a custom IC, possibly related to adding the dim lamp mode for detecting open circuits, as well as reducing the parts count.

David

I wonder why he placed the Bulb (43) all the way to the left instead of over TR41? It complicates the diagram for no real reason.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #136257 on: May 12, 2024, 10:46:40 am »
I wonder why he placed the Bulb (43) all the way to the left instead of over TR41? It complicates the diagram for no real reason.

The patent is explicit about having the "visual indicator" right next to the test point / electrode.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #136258 on: May 12, 2024, 12:02:39 pm »
Yes that's what I thought too, sounded logical to me.
However what I fail to understand is why they tapped the +5V rail at the other end of the schematic, running a super long wire, even crossing another wire... instead of just tapping it literally right by the bulb ?!  :o

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #136259 on: May 12, 2024, 12:31:13 pm »
Yes that's what I thought too, sounded logical to me.
However what I fail to understand is why they tapped the +5V rail at the other end of the schematic, running a super long wire, even crossing another wire... instead of just tapping it literally right by the bulb ?!  :o

I guess it is merely visual emphasis that the indicator isn't "at" the output, it is "by" the input.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #136260 on: May 12, 2024, 09:26:10 pm »

The patent is explicit about having the "visual indicator" right next to the test point / electrode.

Fully with you, but a schematic is a schematic. It's not meant to contain any physical / positional information. I could understand it, if it was some critical RF part that needed to be distanced from some other component, but this is an indicator bulb.

McBryce.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #136261 on: May 12, 2024, 10:08:10 pm »

Fully with you, but a schematic is a schematic. It's not meant to contain any physical / positional information. I could understand it, if it was some critical RF part that needed to be distanced from some other component, but this is an indicator bulb.

Oh, we agree, but it is fun to be the Devil's Advocate.

The purpose of any diagram is to communicate anything that is considered important.

Many schematics include more than just connectivity, e.g. the Tek 4x5 scopes where schematics also include PCB boundaries, and a PCB is spread across several schematics. Some schematics include physical info, e.g. notation indicating thermal coupling or being on a heatsink etc.

More importantly, they ought to show components grouped in familiar "design patterns" that indicate the subcircuit's intention. That allows anything departing from that to be instantly visible, and hopefully to highlight something novel and relevant.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #136262 on: May 12, 2024, 10:20:55 pm »

The purpose of any diagram is to communicate anything that is considered important.

Many schematics include more than just connectivity, e.g. the Tek 4x5 scopes where schematics also include PCB boundaries, and a PCB is spread across several schematics. Some schematics include physical info, e.g. notation indicating thermal coupling or being on a heatsink etc.

More importantly, they ought to show components grouped in familiar "design patterns" that indicate the subcircuit's intention. That allows anything departing from that to be instantly visible, and hopefully to highlight something novel and relevant.
Which in this case, the lodging/registering of a patent, only the bare essentials to protect IP are ever included.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.   Come visit us at EMEX Stand #1001 https://www.emex.co.nz/
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #136263 on: May 12, 2024, 10:51:35 pm »

Which in this case, the lodging/registering of a patent, only the bare essentials to protect IP are ever included.

The patent summary and claims both indicate having the indicator next to the electrode are part of the IP being protected. It is highly beneficial if the text and diagrams support and enhance each other.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #136264 on: May 13, 2024, 12:09:56 pm »

The patent summary and claims both indicate having the indicator next to the electrode are part of the IP being protected. It is highly beneficial if the text and diagrams support and enhance each other.

Then they really should have included a mechanical drawing to document the mechanical features that are to be protected by the patent.

McBryce.

Offline nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #136265 on: May 13, 2024, 12:12:36 pm »
Remember the purpose of a patent description is to describe everything, but explain nothing.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #136266 on: May 13, 2024, 12:26:25 pm »
Remember the purpose of a patent description is to describe everything, but explain nothing.

Tee hee :)

Most patents fall into the "never mind the quality, count the number" category. IBM says to HP "you can use 1523 of our patents royalty free in exchange for 1492 of your patents".

Online Messtechniker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Old analog audio hand - No voodoo.
« Reply #136267 on: May 13, 2024, 03:45:45 pm »
There are patents and patents.
I.e. patents which describe a true invention, and silly blocking or money making patents.
Translated quite a few belonging to the first category.
I love this patent speak by the way. Once I got the hang of it.
Agilent 34465A, Siglent SDG 2042X, Hameg HMO1022, R&S HMC 8043, Peaktech 2025A, Voltcraft VC 940, M-Audio Audiophile 192, R&S Psophometer UPGR, 3 Transistor Testers, DL4JAL Transistor Curve Tracer, UT622E LCR meter

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #136268 on: May 13, 2024, 03:52:55 pm »
I.e. patents which describe a true invention, and silly blocking or money making patents.

The third category is larger: genuine inventions that don't make money.

There's an important fourth category: genuine inventions used to increase a company's sale price. If there is an unexpected edict to write patents, then it might well mean somebody intends to sell the company or float it on a stock exchange. A company is worth more if it has unique products where the IP  is protected.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2024, 05:26:14 pm by tggzzz »

The following users thanked this post: duckduck

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #136269 on: May 13, 2024, 05:57:03 pm »

The third category is larger: genuine inventions that don't make money.

There's an important fourth category: genuine inventions used to increase a company's sale price. If there is an unexpected edict to write patents, then it might well mean somebody intends to sell the company or float it on a stock exchange. A company is worth more if it has unique products where the IP  is protected.

Yes, but all four types still need to adhere to certain rules to ensure that they can't be circumnavigated. They are also useful to attract investors or VC's, even if they are just of the "blocking" type.

McBryce.   

Online Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #136270 on: May 13, 2024, 06:43:00 pm »
There is a 5th category: disinformaton. Some patents provide false infomation to obfsucate the real invention or send compeditors down blind alleys.
This is of course contray to the original purpose of patents.

Robert
(inventor on several patents but all owned by previous employer)

The following users thanked this post: duckduck

Offline srb1954

• Super Contributor
  • Retired Electronics Design Engineer
« Reply #136271 on: May 13, 2024, 10:16:25 pm »
There is a 5th category: disinformaton. Some patents provide false infomation to obfsucate the real invention or send compeditors down blind alleys.
This is of course contray to the original purpose of patents.

Robert
(inventor on several patents but all owned by previous employer)
Or is it just incompetence on the part of the patent attorney?

One firm I worked for decided to patent one of my designs and they handed over my circuit description and diagrams to the patent attorney for reworking into a suitable format for a patent application.

After the patent attornies had finished their "reworking" even I, as the original designer, couldn't figure out what the circuit was supposed to do from the description in the patent. They also redrew the logic schematic removing all logic negation bubbles, perhaps deciding that they were an unnecessary embellishment. :wtf:

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #136272 on: May 14, 2024, 08:05:23 pm »
Didn't get too much done at the weekend, but I finally got round to the re-capicide of the Tek THS710STD scope, the small surface mount caps are known to leak in the older THM series scopemeters, the ones I removed from the THS had no leakage & have been replaced with solid polymer types.
The four through-hole caps on the other hand are showing signs of peeing  >:D, I think I got these removed just in time before they could make a right mess of the PCB.  :phew:

Another thing I've noticed with this THS scope, the shielding cans covering the front end hybrids seem to have a tin whisker problem.  :-//

David
« Last Edit: May 14, 2024, 08:13:56 pm by factory »

The following users thanked this post: Vince, ch_scr, RolandK, shakalnokturn, TERRA Operative, Kosmic, marcumr, duckduck, m k, Peter_O

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #136273 on: May 15, 2024, 07:21:07 pm »
Mystery TE time, just pulled this board after noticing an expired tant  >:D, my web search has drawn a blank on the BBC Metrawatt V-Modul block and the Datel AM 490-2C IC.
Some electrolytic capacitors on another board are past it too.

Edit: why does search work better after I post?  :o The Datel is apparently a chopper stabilized op-amp.

David
« Last Edit: May 15, 2024, 07:25:39 pm by factory »

The following users thanked this post: Vince, ch_scr

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #136274 on: May 16, 2024, 05:19:06 am »
Mystery TE time, just pulled this board after noticing an expired tant  >:D, my web search has drawn a blank on the BBC Metrawatt V-Modul block and the Datel AM 490-2C IC.
Some electrolytic capacitors on another board are past it too.

Edit: why does search work better after I post?  :o The Datel is apparently a chopper stabilized op-amp.

David

Whether it helps or not idk, but in this case BBC will not be British Broadcasting Corporation, and instead will be Brown, Boveri & Cie, now ASEA Brown Boveri (ABB)...
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf