Author Topic: The Siglent SDG1000 and SDG800 thread  (Read 168398 times)

Offline Muxr

• Super Contributor
Re: The Siglent SDG1000 and SDG800 thread
« Reply #200 on: July 12, 2015, 03:04:11 am »
New version worked for me as well. Removed the annoying language selection at startup.

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #201 on: July 12, 2015, 05:22:06 am »
Yes, after I set to start wth last settings, no more language selection on startup!  :-+

Offline f1rmb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #202 on: July 12, 2015, 09:01:13 am »
Okay, same here, setting "power on" to "last" avoids language selection on startup. Great :-)

Cheers.
---
Daniel
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 09:03:58 am by f1rmb »

Offline Owen

• Contributor
« Reply #203 on: July 12, 2015, 10:26:01 am »
Okay, same here, setting "power on" to "last" avoids language selection on startup. Great :-)

Same here, thank you Macbeth for pointing this out :).

Offline Gary.M

• Regular Contributor
THD 1kHz SDG810
« Reply #204 on: July 14, 2015, 02:54:50 am »
I recently purchased an SGD810 and I'm very happy with it.

FYI I've posted a plot of sinewave THD at 1kHz .

The instrument used for the measurement is a Quantasylum QA400. https://www.quantasylum.com/content/Products/QA400.aspx

Offline rosbuitre

• Regular Contributor
Re: THD 1kHz SDG810
« Reply #205 on: July 15, 2015, 03:46:33 pm »
I recently purchased an SGD810 and I'm very happy with it.

FYI I've posted a plot of sinewave THD at 1kHz .

The instrument used for the measurement is a Quantasylum QA400. https://www.quantasylum.com/content/Products/QA400.aspx

Very interesting the Quantasylum QA400, you could compare with something similar ?, for this price seems very complete.

Regards
My instruments: DMM Keysight 34461A / Tektronix DMM916 / Fluke 12, Rigol DS1074Z, Deer DE-5000, Siglent SDG805 / SDP3303D, Dayton Dats2

Offline Gary.M

• Regular Contributor
Re: THD 1kHz SDG810
« Reply #206 on: July 16, 2015, 12:45:07 am »

Very interesting the Quantasylum QA400, you could compare with something similar ?, for this price seems very complete.

Regards

I believe it is designed in the USA and manufactured in China. The target market was factory test of audio products in asian factories as I understand.

Its great value for the money and very capable. There is a long and informative thread in the link below...

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/equipment-tools/231401-quantasylum-qa400.html

Offline open loop

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #207 on: August 18, 2015, 08:38:38 pm »
Just got a sdg1020 as a bit of a repair project, you mention old version and new version. What is the difference and what was the serial number break. Thanks for any responses :-)
Repair?
What are the fault symptoms?

Siglent products have a 3 year warranty, post all but the last 4 SN digits, from that we can tell the build date, it may still be under warranty.

Hi Tautech,

It has been several months since my last post on this case but life got in the way of me sorting out the poor old SDG 1020, unfortunately I got it non working and I see that someone made a bit of a dogs breakfast in soldering in U55 which I believe is the - 15V voltage regulator. I would doubt that Siglent would honor any warranty on this as I am not the original owner and it has had already had a go at by someone else. Anyway the serial number without the last 4 digits is: SDG0000113.

The symptom is from memory that the waveform had DC offset problems and can be all over the place and may even be clipped. I checked the power supply voltages according to the service manual and these were in specification. Interestingly the generator has a function that can set a DC output and is part of the calibration routine in the service manual. When using this the readings I get are way off and I would think that this is where I would start investigating the problems.

I am sorry that I have been vague in that I have not given any measurements or readings but I am about to start faultfinding again, will post any progress I make and any voltage readings I make :-). I am sure that the wave generation seems to be working but I would think that this an issue with the output stage given that the -15V regulator was replaced. This is why I wanted a schematic but if this is not available then fault finding will be a little more time consuming but no less fun.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #208 on: August 19, 2015, 05:14:11 am »
Just got a sdg1020 as a bit of a repair project, you mention old version and new version. What is the difference and what was the serial number break. Thanks for any responses :-)
Repair?

Siglent products have a 3 year warranty, post all but the last 4 SN digits, from that we can tell the build date, it may still be under warranty.

Hi Tautech,

It has been several months since my last post on this case but life got in the way of me sorting out the poor old SDG 1020, unfortunately I got it non working and I see that someone made a bit of a dogs breakfast in soldering in U55 which I believe is the - 15V voltage regulator. I would doubt that Siglent would honor any warranty on this as I am not the original owner and it has had already had a go at by someone else. Anyway the serial number without the last 4 digits is: SDG0000113.

The symptom is from memory that the waveform had DC offset problems and can be all over the place and may even be clipped. I checked the power supply voltages according to the service manual and these were in specification. Interestingly the generator has a function that can set a DC output and is part of the calibration routine in the service manual. When using this the readings I get are way off and I would think that this is where I would start investigating the problems.

I am sorry that I have been vague in that I have not given any measurements or readings but I am about to start faultfinding again, will post any progress I make and any voltage readings I make :-). I am sure that the wave generation seems to be working but I would think that this an issue with the output stage given that the -15V regulator was replaced. This is why I wanted a schematic but if this is not available then fault finding will be a little more time consuming but no less fun.

Build date of your SDG1020 is Jan 2013.

Many source these units from overseas and then it is often too dificult to seek warranty repair and try then to fix units themselves which of course voids warranty.

I'm not aware of any schematics available, however IIRC there are links to imagery in this thread.

Member Lightages blew the output stage in his and sourced a new PCB direct from Siglent at his cost.
If you bought it cheaply enough it may be well worth a new PCB and then be as good as new.

If you contact them introduce yourself as an EEVblog member and I'm confident Siglent will assist.
Jade's email is in the profile of member Siglent in this thread:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-technical-support-join-in-eevblog/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline jhufford

• Contributor
« Reply #209 on: September 17, 2015, 02:34:55 am »
Maybe this isn't the proper place in the forum for this question, but I'm looking at the various Siglent arb gens. My question isn't about the 1000 or 800, but the SDG2122X.

The SDG2122X has a huge memory, and a claimed 1.2GSa/s for built in waves, but only 75MSa/S for the arb gen... But the 1000 series lists 125MSa/S with 125MSa/S for the arb gen. The 5000 series has 500 MSa/S for both built in waves and arb gen. 800 series has the same sample rate for both too.

Why such a huge difference on the 2122X? I can see where the arb gen's memory might be slower so it can't use as fast of a sample rate as the built in waves, but why would a $900 generator have 40% less arb sample rate than the $350 one, especially considering the 1000 and 5000 models have the same sample rate for both? Is the 2000 series just primarily showcasing its massive memory? Is it possible that Siglent's documentation is incorrect?

One explanation I can think of is that the Truearb eliminates jitter that DDS has had before, but at a price of a slower sample rate. Anyone?

(2nd question, the 1000 series has 7ns rise time while the 2000 has only 8.4nS, again, why would the more expensive one be less good.. Is the 1000 just a particularly good buy?)

Thanks

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #210 on: September 17, 2015, 06:19:48 am »
Maybe this isn't the proper place in the forum for this question, but I'm looking at the various Siglent arb gens. My question isn't about the 1000 or 800, but the SDG2122X.

The SDG2122X has a huge memory, and a claimed 1.2GSa/s for built in waves, but only 75MSa/S for the arb gen... But the 1000 series lists 125MSa/S with 125MSa/S for the arb gen. The 5000 series has 500 MSa/S for both built in waves and arb gen. 800 series has the same sample rate for both too.

Why such a huge difference on the 2122X? I can see where the arb gen's memory might be slower so it can't use as fast of a sample rate as the built in waves, but why would a $900 generator have 40% less arb sample rate than the $350 one, especially considering the 1000 and 5000 models have the same sample rate for both? Is the 2000 series just primarily showcasing its massive memory? Is it possible that Siglent's documentation is incorrect?

One explanation I can think of is that the Truearb eliminates jitter that DDS has had before, but at a price of a slower sample rate. Anyone?

(2nd question, the 1000 series has 7ns rise time while the 2000 has only 8.4nS, again, why would the more expensive one be less good.. Is the 1000 just a particularly good buy?)
Thanks
Good questions, let me see if I can throw some light on these.

As the SDG2000 series have just hit the ground and I suspect with preliminary FW Id guess there will be enhancements to come.  :-//

Rise time spec you have quoted for theSDG1000 series is in Pulse mode, you'd need to check the 2000 series figure was also in Pulse mode.
Sorry I'm away from my normal PC with all the datasheets at handy reach but you can check them from the Siglent America site.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline dexters_lab

• Supporter
« Reply #211 on: September 23, 2015, 12:45:50 pm »
In case anyone is keeping track of hardware

my new SDG1020 landed in the lab yesterday

HW version is 02-00-00-23-26
SW version is 1.01.01.37R3

manufactured Q3 2015

Rise time seems to be consistent across CH1, CH2, Square, or Pulse at about 7.5 to 8ns (1vpp @ 1khz)

I wasn't going to make any videos of this as there is plenty out there on youtube, unless someone wants to see something specific

Offline ivan747Topic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #212 on: September 24, 2015, 02:21:05 am »
In case anyone is keeping track of hardware

my new SDG1020 landed in the lab yesterday

HW version is 02-00-00-23-26
SW version is 1.01.01.37R3

manufactured Q3 2015

Rise time seems to be consistent across CH1, CH2, Square, or Pulse at about 7.5 to 8ns (1vpp @ 1khz)

I wasn't going to make any videos of this as there is plenty out there on youtube, unless someone wants to see something specific

Can you try to replicate the square wave jitter issue? Congrats on the acquisition! May it last a long, productive life.

Offline dexters_lab

• Supporter
« Reply #213 on: September 24, 2015, 08:10:35 am »

Can you try to replicate the square wave jitter issue? Congrats on the acquisition! May it last a long, productive life.

scope screenshots attached, infinite persistence & long memory for about 5 mins each on my DS1152

all measured at Square, 5vP-P 2.5v Offset, 50% duty.

i dont see any issues like in the traces detailed in the glitching thread

though the low part (at 0v) does look a bit noisy at the lower frequencies, my other older scope (a 50mhz digital/CRO) is blind to it

Offline Groucho2005

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #214 on: September 24, 2015, 10:01:36 am »
the low part (at 0v) does look a bit noisy at the lower frequencies
Have you tried to generate the same square waveforms in pulse mode? Could you post screen shots?

Offline dexters_lab

• Supporter
« Reply #215 on: September 24, 2015, 10:17:05 am »
same waveform in pulse mode, the trace looks the same at all frequencies

Offline Groucho2005

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #216 on: September 24, 2015, 10:31:45 am »
same waveform in pulse mode, the trace looks the same at all frequencies
Thanks. So, less noise but more overshoot. Confirms the measurements done by rf-loop.

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #217 on: September 24, 2015, 11:09:33 am »

scope screenshots attached, infinite persistence & long memory for about 5 mins each on my DS1152

all measured at Square, 5vP-P 2.5v Offset, 50% duty.

i dont see any issues like in the traces detailed in the glitching thread

though the low part (at 0v) does look a bit noisy at the lower frequencies, my other older scope (a 50mhz digital/CRO) is blind to it

How these images tell anything about pulse or square function produced waves jitter (if we talk time jitter). 

Even if you mesure it so that it is trigged to example risning edge and then you look next rising edge. There you can see cycle-cycle time jitter + test equipment itself jitter(s).

For better than this method there need be one signal what jitter is known and amount of jitter is so small that it not meaningful. Exept if really know that test equipment itself jitters are enough low.

Square wave noise before rising and before falling edge is other case and it can see also like this even with DS1000E (in this case when this noise is like it is now).

Overshoots and preshoots  etc  before and after edges - who know what is made by scope and test setup  and what is really made by device under test. 
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline dexters_lab

• Supporter
« Reply #218 on: September 24, 2015, 11:23:49 am »

How these images tell anything about pulse or square function produced waves jitter (if we talk time jitter). 

Even if you mesure it so that it is trigged to example risning edge and then you look next rising edge. There you can see cycle-cycle time jitter + test equipment itself jitter(s).

For better than this method there need be one signal what jitter is known and amount of jitter is so small that it not meaningful. Exept if really know that test equipment itself jitters are enough low.

Square wave noise before rising and before falling edge is other case and it can see also like this even with DS1000E (in this case when this noise is like it is now).

Overshoots and preshoots  etc  before and after edges - who know what is made by scope and test setup  and what is really made by device under test.

indeed there are many things at play with both source and measurement

the cycle-cycle jitter seems to be bang on spec at 8ns for pulse

the SDG1000 seems to be excellent value for money IMO, but it is always good to know the limitations of your equipment!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 11:42:40 am by dexters_lab »

Offline ivan747Topic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #219 on: September 24, 2015, 07:14:43 pm »
Wow, your unit behaves quite nicely.

Sent from my XT1063 using Tapatalk

Offline Groucho2005

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #220 on: September 24, 2015, 08:22:20 pm »
Wow, your unit behaves quite nicely.
Got my SDG1010 today. The square/pulse waveforms look exactly the same as the ones from dexters_lab

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #221 on: September 24, 2015, 08:57:28 pm »
Even if you mesure it so that it is trigged to example risning edge and then you look next rising edge.

100% agree, the trigger point is at the rising edge. We need to see the next rising edge.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #222 on: October 05, 2015, 07:41:24 pm »
Link to latest FW for SDG800 series:
http://www.siglentamerica.com/USA_website_2014/Firmware&Software/firmware/SDG800%20V100R008B01D01P10R1.rar
14.4 Mb

Please read The Update instructions pdf file
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline open loop

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #223 on: October 27, 2015, 11:02:54 pm »
This is my longest post so far but I have some good news following the trouble I had with my SDG 1020.
Following on from this set of posts...

Repair?

Hi Tautech,

The symptom is from memory that the waveform had DC offset problems and can be all over the place and may even be clipped........ will post any progress I make and any voltage readings I make :-). I am sure that the wave generation seems to be working but I would think that this an issue with the output stage given that the -15V regulator was replaced. This is why I wanted a schematic but if this is not available then fault finding will be a little more time consuming but no less fun.

Build date of your SDG1020 is Jan 2013.

Many source these units from overseas and then it is often too dificult to seek warranty repair and try then to fix units themselves which of course voids warranty.

I'm not aware of any schematics available, however IIRC there are links to imagery in this thread.

Member Lightages blew the output stage in his and sourced a new PCB direct from Siglent at his cost.
If you bought it cheaply enough it may be well worth a new PCB and then be as good as new.

If you contact them introduce yourself as an EEVblog member and I'm confident Siglent will assist.
Jade's email is in the profile of member Siglent in this thread:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-technical-support-join-in-eevblog/

I can say that I have now got it working  :)

The voltage readings I got for the power supply was in spec with +5v being 4.95v, - 5V at -4.98, +15V at 15.01V and -15 at -14.99 (this is all from memory). I had noticed that the + and - 15 Volt regulators were replaced. All my signals on channel 1 had a massive 10V offset if the P-P voltage was over 900 mV I also had clipping on sine waves. The DC offset would jump to positive or negative depending on what p-p voltage was set and all of my wave forms were only 1v p-p. Channel 2 was the same but had 5v offset.

I also had no square wave output on either channels, so this is what I had to start with. To fix this my initial approach was to do the following.

1. Work how the wave forms are generated and handled in the output stage
2. Work out how the DC offset is generated
3. go through the fault finding part of the service manual

I decided to go with the service manual and found something interesting, when looking at TA15 and TA16 these were well bellow spec when measuring with something like 500mV p-p. However if I power cycled and pressed no buttons then the waveform amplitude would be in specification. As soon as the output enable for channel 1 or 2 was pressed TA15 and TA16 would drop down to 500mV p-p. I thought this may have something wrong with the output stage loading these signals down but this was not the case as I had removed next op-amp in the circuit and I would be surprised if both channels were loading their wave forms down in the same way.

Then disaster struck, when looking at U19 for the potential reason of the DC offset the scope probe accidentally shorted pins 7 and 8 which shorted +15V to the chip disable pin then the chip literally burnt up immediately  :-BROKE :palm: power off walk away... this was the low point.

I removed this OP-Amp then checked to see if the signal generator still had life. Got wave forms so at this stage I ordered some new op-amps and hoped that I had not done any permanent damage. When refitting this op-amp I could not reconnect pin8 (missing pad  :palm:), quick look of the datasheet suggests that this would mean that the Op-amp would always stay powered on. Really would love to know where pin 8 of U19 went to  :scared:

I had managed to get the output stage working as well as I could replacing a number of parts (some of which may have been OK to begin with) got my square wave back with replacing U37 as I think this is switched in as part of the sine to square circuit using a comparator (half of U35). But still had DC offset issues.

The DC offset and the gain voltage going to U25 and U26 (TI variable gain op amps VCA822ID) had to come from somewhere. So I started looking for another DAC and found it when looking at U72 which was a TI DAC8580 which is a 16bit serial interface DAC. This device was then connected to U47 which is a 74HC4051 demux/mux chip. Looking at test point T1 will show you the signal coming out of the DAC and you need a 1ms or so delayed trigger. I was then able to see what signals were affected by the DC offset setting and found that the following signals come from U47 (some of which I recently found out).

Pin1 is CH1 DC offset
Pin2 is CH2 DC offset
Pin3 is the signal from the DAC U72
Pin 12 is the gain setting voltage for U25 (buffered by U103)  for CH1
Pin 13 is the gain setting voltage for U26 (buffered by U103) for CH2
Pins 5 and 15, I could not find out about but I suspect they are for setting up the comparator circuit on the sine to square wave conversion.
Pins 4 and 14 I will discuss later.

I then discovered that the DC offset signals from U47 were buffered by U89 (an Intersil ISL28210 op amp) and were mixed with the input of U45 via R145 in the case of CH1. So all of my output circuitry was working the main DACs seemed to work but the origin of the DC offset was the output of DAC U72. In fact looking at the wave forms on T1 made no sense as these were way off. So I tried to do a self calibration in the generator and this took far longer than the 15 seconds mentioned in the service manual. In fact it took near enough 2 to 3 minutes with no improvement.

So this got me thinking that there was a problem with the calibration circuit/channel given that:
A. the calibration routine took ages and
B. The values at T1 seemed to be at some limit.

So after more searching I noticed that there was another 74HC4051 mux chip (U42) and this had signals from the other circuitry going to it. In particular when looking at CH1 I wondered where the signal from R42 went to as it diapered in to an inner layer of the board. After some investigation I found that it went to U42 pin 1. So working forwards I found that U42 pin 3 went to U91 which was another Intersil ISL28210 and this was powered not by the +/- 5V but the +/- 15V. Now we are getting somewhere as this device was poorly, the output of U91 was in turn connected to U61_1 which was an odd 6 pin sot 23 device. It had a marking of X01C and on further investigation this was a serial 12 Bit ADC. Another Farnell order of replacement parts later... I fitted the new mux chip (U42), Op amp (U91) and ADC (U61_1) , tried to do a calibration and it looked good as it only took seconds. Checked the output and the Waveform generator was now working  ;D

Interestingly pins 4 and 14 of U47 were buffered by U103 and these voltages applied to the Reference pins of the main DACs. Where Pin 4 affected the CH1 DAC reference and Pin 14 affected CH2. This I think is the reason for the sudden drop in waveform from the main DACs as observed on TA15 and TA16 when the output key was pressed. Not certain about this, but as this is now working I am not too keen on poking around with the scope just in case I make another bad mistake. :-[

This was a long drawn out repair but I learned a lot! I must also thank Tautech for their help and I hope that my little essay may help in some way.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 08:36:00 pm by open loop »

The following users thanked this post: Johaness

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #224 on: October 28, 2015, 12:08:17 am »
WOW, you have been through the mill with this AWG and thanks very much for sharing your battle, it will in no doubt enormously help others that might have similar probems.

Well done.   :phew:  :-+

BTW  I need no credit or mention, you did all this work.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf