Author Topic: VOLTCRAFT DOV series  (Read 118902 times)

0 Members and 48 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Frederik

  • Contributor
  • Posts: 34
  • Country: dk
Re: VOLTCRAFT DOV series
« Reply #1300 on: August 23, 2026, 01:52:26 pm »
Segmentation put small pieces of the acquisition into the waveplayer for later analysis.

Thanks.
What I meant was, what's the point of entering a specific value—rather than a maximum value—into the “Numeric Input Box”?
I mean, it just deletes the collected data if it reaches that value. What's the point of that?

The point is to limit the waveplayer usage. Thousand of thousands segments will be difficult to handle.
 
The following users thanked this post: Aldo22

Offline goaty

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 369
  • Country: de
Re: VOLTCRAFT DOV series
« Reply #1301 on: August 23, 2026, 02:01:07 pm »
What I meant was, what's the point of entering a specific value—rather than a maximum value—into the “Numeric Input Box”?
Afaik it's meant to stop acquisition once the expected number of triggers happened.
Otherwise you need to manually stop.
At least I think that's how's implemented on the RTB2004.
During this fast segmentation mode, the scope does not display anything and concentrates only on the fastest possible trigger arming to minimize dead time.
 
The following users thanked this post: Aldo22

Online Aldo22Topic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 2729
  • Country: ch
Re: VOLTCRAFT DOV series
« Reply #1302 on: August 23, 2026, 02:25:33 pm »
Afaik it's meant to stop acquisition once the expected number of triggers happened.
Otherwise you need to manually stop.
At least I think that's how's implemented on the RTB2004.

Yes, that would make sense, but that's not how it works—at least not for me.
Like I said, when it reaches the entered value, it deletes the collected data and starts over at 1.
You don't really notice anything, except that the counter gets reset.
Is it different for you?
 

Offline goaty

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 369
  • Country: de
Re: VOLTCRAFT DOV series
« Reply #1303 on: August 23, 2026, 08:55:26 pm »
Like I said, when it reaches the entered value, it deletes the collected data and starts over at 1.
You don't really notice anything, except that the counter gets reset.
Is it different for you?
I have not tried. I need to check the board again for the fourth channel problem I have first.
 
The following users thanked this post: Aldo22

Offline evava

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 250
  • Country: cz
Re: VOLTCRAFT DOV series
« Reply #1304 on: August 25, 2026, 12:13:56 pm »
I also successfully changed my DOV704 to ADS824A. A big thank you goes to Olex!
Here is a PDF with a step by step instruction that I made mainly for my self. But feel free to modify and share!

Thank you for your PDF!
I also managed to switch the model to the ADS822A (it was quite a challenge for me); thanks to everyone contributing to this thread—Olex, Aldo, Martin, and all the others.
I want to get more familiar with the oscilloscope first, and then I’ll likely proceed to hardware modifications.
For now, the fan is running quietly enough (the two-channel version presumably generates less heat).
 
The following users thanked this post: Aldo22, CeeJay

Offline SL75

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 60
  • Country: de
Re: VOLTCRAFT DOV series
« Reply #1305 on: August 25, 2026, 12:22:39 pm »
I think the fan is running quieter (same here) because Owon improved the fan control in the newer firmware. Right out of the box, the fan was awful.
 
The following users thanked this post: goaty, Aldo22

Online Aldo22Topic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 2729
  • Country: ch
Re: VOLTCRAFT DOV series
« Reply #1306 on: August 25, 2026, 01:18:03 pm »
I think the fan is running quieter (same here) because Owon improved the fan control in the newer firmware. Right out of the box, the fan was awful.

Out of the box, I had firmware version 1.0.1.0.14, and the fan was tolerable.
The update to 1.0.1.0.17 made the fan almost unbearable.
So far, the latest update has been the best.
 
The following users thanked this post: goaty, SL75

Offline SL75

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 60
  • Country: de
Re: VOLTCRAFT DOV series
« Reply #1307 on: August 25, 2026, 02:04:31 pm »
My device was delivered with version 1.0.1.0.13. Of course, the fan activity also depends on what the oscilloscope has to handle. For example, when doing continuous FFT calculations, the fan is louder than when it's running 'normally,' meaning when it only has to display the time-domain traces from its memory.
 
The following users thanked this post: goaty, Aldo22

Online Aldo22Topic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 2729
  • Country: ch
Re: VOLTCRAFT DOV series
« Reply #1308 on: August 25, 2026, 02:45:31 pm »
By the way: I haven't given up on fixing the hardware yet.
I just want to feel confident before I tackle the DOV.
Somehow, it’s really grown on me, so I don’t want to ruin it out of stupidity or incompetence.
There’s no rush...  :)

Here’s what else I’ve bought lately:
- An IPA spray; it was around CHF 7, which I thought was OK.
- A pair of reading glasses with 3 diopters.
- A solder tip cleaner
- 1mm-thin desoldering braid. I built a holder for it so I don’t have to press so hard.  :-DD
 
The following users thanked this post: evava, goaty

Offline evava

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 250
  • Country: cz
Re: VOLTCRAFT DOV series
« Reply #1309 on: August 25, 2026, 04:09:27 pm »
By the way: I haven't given up on fixing the hardware yet.
I just want to feel confident before I tackle the DOV.
Somehow, it’s really grown on me, so I don’t want to ruin it out of stupidity or incompetence.
There’s no rush...  :)

Here’s what else I’ve bought lately:
- An IPA spray; it was around CHF 7, which I thought was OK.
- A pair of reading glasses with 3 diopters.
- A solder tip cleaner
- 1mm-thin desoldering braid. I built a holder for it so I don’t have to press so hard.  :-DD

I’m following your posts with great interest; I’m also a bit nervous about those hardware modifications.
But I don't want to leave the oscilloscope as it is—it really bothers me. There are little ripples everywhere ;-)
 
The following users thanked this post: Aldo22

Online Aldo22Topic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 2729
  • Country: ch
Re: VOLTCRAFT DOV series
« Reply #1310 on: August 25, 2026, 04:36:22 pm »
There are little ripples everywhere ;-)

I've come to terms with the ripple in the calibration signal.
It's sufficient for calibrating the probes, and besides, you get a signal that isn't quite symmetrical for free.
You can distinguish between the top and bottom.
I had a situation where that helped me.  :D
 
The following users thanked this post: evava, goaty

Offline goaty

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 369
  • Country: de
Re: VOLTCRAFT DOV series
« Reply #1311 on: August 26, 2026, 08:08:38 am »
Here’s what else I’ve bought lately...
Don´t forget flux. It´s imho one of the most important things to have to get good solder joints, if you have to touch-up a bit or re-position a part.
If you always get it right on the first time you solder the component with the flux-core solder you might be ok, but for me it was the
most important thing to learn to use flux.
 

Online Aldo22Topic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 2729
  • Country: ch
Re: VOLTCRAFT DOV series
« Reply #1312 on: August 26, 2026, 08:59:30 am »
Here’s what else I’ve bought lately...
Don´t forget flux. It´s imho one of the most important things to have to get good solder joints, if you have to touch-up a bit or re-position a part.
If you always get it right on the first time you solder the component with the flux-core solder you might be ok, but for me it was the
most important thing to learn to use flux.

Thank you, I have flux.
I’ve soldered SMDs a few times before, but never smaller than 0805, never on such a densely populated PCB, and especially never on a device that I really don’t want to destroy.
Otherwise, I would’ve finished it a long time ago.  ;)

But I’d rather have a DOV with a ripple at 200 mV/div than a brick.  :palm:
That’s why I’m taking my time.
 
The following users thanked this post: TUMEMBER, goaty

Online Aldo22Topic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 2729
  • Country: ch
Re: VOLTCRAFT DOV series
« Reply #1313 on: August 26, 2026, 12:28:04 pm »
For the operation, I used desoldering braid, flux, isopropyl alcohol, and a brush or pipe cleaner.
Hi,

Why do you recommend pipe cleaners?
What are their advantages?
 

Offline goaty

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 369
  • Country: de
Re: VOLTCRAFT DOV series
« Reply #1314 on: August 26, 2026, 03:53:11 pm »
Like I said, when it reaches the entered value, it deletes the collected data and starts over at 1.
You don't really notice anything, except that the counter gets reset.
Is it different for you?
I tried waveform record and it works as expected. Only downside: I cannot view record after scope is run again.

The waveform replay also is filled when segemtation is used. One has to stop before it reaches the number set.
So basically it works, if the number of segments is smaller than the number set.
Then one can play in the waveform player.

But what is the difference between record and segement/fast segment ?
Probably the trigger arming time is shorter in segmentfast mode.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2026, 04:15:15 pm by goaty »
 
The following users thanked this post: Aldo22

Offline Kurt_!

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 285
  • Country: at
Re: VOLTCRAFT DOV series
« Reply #1315 on: August 26, 2026, 04:02:42 pm »
« Last Edit: August 26, 2026, 04:06:46 pm by Kurt_! »
Oh...my English...
 
The following users thanked this post: evava, Aldo22

Offline sdroamt0

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 7
  • Country: it
Re: VOLTCRAFT DOV series
« Reply #1316 on: August 26, 2026, 06:02:36 pm »
Hello all,
My first post here...
Just noticed that on conrad.it now the 2 channels 100MHz version is discounted to 168€ ...24 devices remaining... (was about 204 few days ago):

https://www.conrad.it/it/p/voltcraft-dov1002-oscilloscopio-digitale-100-mhz-2-canali-1-25-gsa-s-50-mpts-12-bit-memoria-digitale-dso-1-pz-3350783.html

What do you think, they will discount the 100MHz 4 channels soon? (Now it is over 446€ https://www.conrad.it/it/p/voltcraft-dov1004-oscilloscopio-digitale-100-mhz-4-canali-1-25-gsa-s-50-mpts-12-bit-memoria-digitale-dso-1-pz-3350784.html )
 

Offline sdroamt0

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 7
  • Country: it
Re: VOLTCRAFT DOV series
« Reply #1317 on: August 26, 2026, 06:22:43 pm »
Sorry forget about me...that was the price without IVA 22%...

Hello all,
My first post here...
Just noticed that on conrad.it now the 2 channels 100MHz version is discounted to 168€ ...24 devices remaining... (was about 204 few days ago):

 

Online Aldo22Topic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 2729
  • Country: ch
Re: VOLTCRAFT DOV series
« Reply #1318 on: August 26, 2026, 06:26:18 pm »
I tried waveform record and it works as expected. Only downside: I cannot view record after scope is run again.

The waveform replay also is filled when segemtation is used. One has to stop before it reaches the number set.
So basically it works, if the number of segments is smaller than the number set.
Then one can play in the waveform player.

Yes, it works. Unfortunately, you can't save it.
My actual question is this.
What's the point of entering a value that's less than the maximum?
 

Offline goaty

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 369
  • Country: de
Re: VOLTCRAFT DOV series
« Reply #1319 on: August 26, 2026, 07:19:13 pm »
My actual question is this.
What's the point of entering a value that's less than the maximum?
If you set segmentation to a high value, you will need a long time before seeing anything. Also the number is limited to how you set the depth. More memory depth means less segments.
I just guess it's a software bug that it does not stop at the end.

It clearly is a bug as the manual says
"(4) Once entered, if the number of segments is 100, the instrument will acquire 100 frames of triggered waveforms. After acquisition, these 100 frames will be displayed on the screen."
« Last Edit: August 26, 2026, 07:24:50 pm by goaty »
 
The following users thanked this post: Aldo22

Online Aldo22Topic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 2729
  • Country: ch
Re: VOLTCRAFT DOV series
« Reply #1320 on: August 26, 2026, 08:02:12 pm »
It clearly is a bug as the manual says
"(4) Once entered, if the number of segments is 100, the instrument will acquire 100 frames of triggered waveforms. After acquisition, these 100 frames will be displayed on the screen."

Is it possible that the original version didn't have a waveform player at all?
I first noticed it after the model change.

The manual says: “(5) Press the Run/Stop button to play back the acquired data.”

Maybe the waveform player is the reason for the discrepancy?
 

Online Martin72

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 8896
  • Country: de
Re: VOLTCRAFT DOV series
« Reply #1321 on: August 26, 2026, 08:20:50 pm »
Hi,

This feature is not available on the Voltcraft, nor is it mentioned in the DOV manual.
That's not the only thing the Voltcraft is missing—that's kind of mean of Owon....
It's like they're saying, “Sure, we'll rebrand this for you, but we're keeping a few features for our own models.” ;)

Online Aldo22Topic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 2729
  • Country: ch
Re: VOLTCRAFT DOV series
« Reply #1322 on: August 26, 2026, 08:31:55 pm »
This feature is not available on the Voltcraft, nor is it mentioned in the DOV manual.

Hi,
But segmentation is definitely mentioned in the DOV manual.
Didn't that work at all before the model change? I don't remember.

Btw. Pipe cleaner?  ;D
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/voltcraft-dov-series/msg6343670/#msg6343670
 

Online Martin72

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 8896
  • Country: de
Re: VOLTCRAFT DOV series
« Reply #1323 on: August 26, 2026, 08:42:46 pm »
Yes, pipe cleaners. ;)
I used them because they're sturdier than cotton swabs, for example, and don't fray.
When you clean the solder joints with alcohol, you're really just dissolving the residue into the alcohol; some residue may still remain after it evaporates, so I like to “dry” the areas afterward.
For example, with pipe cleaners.
Edit:
Quote
But segmentation is definitely mentioned in the DOV manual.

We were talking about the Waveform Player, but it's not in the manual, and it wasn't in the DOV version on the Scope either.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2026, 08:44:28 pm by Martin72 »
 

Offline goaty

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 369
  • Country: de
Re: VOLTCRAFT DOV series
« Reply #1324 on: August 26, 2026, 08:53:55 pm »
Btw. Pipe cleaner?  ;D
I can recommend a small sturdy paint brush and Kim wipes.
Put some IPA and brush so the flux dissolves. Then dab it with the cloth.
Those Kim wipes leave not much fibers so everything is a bit nicer.
 
The following users thanked this post: Aldo22


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf

 

-->