Author Topic: Where to get good quality multimeter probes?  (Read 32928 times)

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
Re: Where to get good quality multimeter probes?
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2015, 02:21:02 am »
...good flexible cable and I think its anti-burn (soldering iron protection).
Yep. The wire uses silicone insulation.  :-+

And the flexibility reminds me of a freshly cooked spaghetti noodle. ;) Just don't eat it.  :o  :P  :-DD

Don't forget Frankie and his eBay store:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171162377470?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
True.

FWIW, the cost is similar to Probemaster's 8000 series set of leads only ($15.90). If you ever get the opportunity, you might seriously want to give Probemaster a try.

Offline calin

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2015, 03:05:09 am »
I just got a pair of probemaster 8000 like a week or so ago ... really nice. Plus they sent me a probe holder and ... a copy of The US Constitution !!! :-+ ... How wold I measure otherwise without knowing my rights :)

Joke aside .. yeap Probemaster are nice, very nice.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2015, 08:33:24 am »
Generally any ohms measurement below 1 ohm is pretty much meaningless unless you're using a Kelvin setup. And again, it's not the resistance of the leads themselves (which is in the milliohms even with cheap leads), it's the contact resistance.
And how's that not relevant, then? The point is, if one set of probes is giving 0.2 ohms, and on the same meter, another is giving 7 ohms, it's still a relevant comparison, regardless of where the resistance actually lies. If a given set of probes has high contact resistance, that's what will ultimately be problematic then, won't it??

The "hard time" is not for touching two probes together, it's for saying "dude, these fluke probes are bullshit, they're like 0.5 ohms derp" and "bro, your probes are totally fake, the real ones are 0.1923282482 ohms herp" when clearly both measurements are bogus.

Whatever. I maintain you're being a dickwad. You could have tried and explained your POV politely, but you were rude from the get-go and so nobody's gonna listen anyway. You don't get respect by being an asshole.

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2015, 03:16:27 pm »
... a copy of The US Constitution !!! :-+ ... How wold I measure otherwise without knowing my rights :)

OT: years ago, not long after the whole TSA bullshit thing was started, P&T (great comedians and magicians, btw) had the idea of selling metal 'bill of rights' cards that you could put into your suitcase.  when the TSA sees it, they will object to the sharp corners (it used to have sharp corners in the first version) and they'd take it from you.  you then get to say 'oh, great, so now you're taking the bill of rights away!'.  its supposed to be a little funny but also making a subtle statement.

your comment about the constitution made me remember that old penn and teller gag.

http://www.pennandtellerstore.com/p-t-tsa-bill-of-rights-card

Offline markce

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2015, 09:35:26 pm »
I did a kelvin resistance measurement on my troubled TL175 leads. One measures slightly below 0.1 ohm, the other is twice that
at best. The resistance varies if the wire of the probe is twisted. Looks like a bad crimp connection.
Thanks for the suggestions here, I'll contact Fluke for this.

Offline mos6502

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2015, 10:28:33 pm »
That would mean they're definitely bad. Where did you buy them? Are they grey/black or yellow/black?
for(;;);

Offline LaurentR

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2015, 04:47:57 am »
I have had issues with at least three Fluke probes. One grabber from a TL81A probe set, 2 from TL71 probes.

The grabber had the wire just not connected at all inside the molded plastic.

The TL71 seem to be around 30-35 mOhm normally. One (from one set) had around 200 mOhm and nothing made it better. One (from another set) was around 1 Ohm and some strong flexing of the probe returned it to its nominal range and it's been there since...

I love the Fluke probes (even though I don't have Fluke meters anymore) but I have had a spotty history with their quality. On the plus side, when I called Fluke support on the TL81A set, they sent me a whole new set, no questions asked. So support was AAA+++.

Offline markce

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2015, 08:53:38 am »
My TL175's are Yellow/black. I have boought them from reichelt in Germany. In the Milton video they are supposedly the 'real' Fluke probes.

Offline GeekPriest

• Contributor
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2015, 01:47:35 pm »
Don't forget Frankie and his eBay store:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171162377470?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I have a set of these on my FLuke 27/FM and I like them.

I'm eagerly waiting for a pair of these to arrive.

After returning some not-so-great, and likely counterfeit, Fluke TL71 probes, I ordered a set of Pomona 5519a probes and these Brymen probes.

The original probes that came with my Brymen-made Amprobe AM-130 are a little above average. The insulation is only PVC, so they don't drape all that well, but the probe tips look to be gold plated (or similar). However, using these probes, the sound from a continuity test on my Amprobe (with a non-latched continuity tester) sounds as solid as my Fluke 77 IV (with latched continuity). By comparison, the Pomona leads are scratchy, and the resistance jumps around when you rub the probe ends together. My hope is that the Franky-supplied Brymen probes will marry a silicone lead with the nice plating on the probes that came with my Amprobe.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 01:49:43 pm by GeekPriest »

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2015, 04:58:06 am »
I use ProbeMaster 8000 series probes with the screw-on spring clips on my bench meters. :-+
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline BFX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2015, 09:07:45 am »

Offline GeekPriest

• Contributor
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2015, 03:00:35 pm »
As I mentioned above, the Amprobe MTL-90B probes that came with my AM-130 aren't bad. PVC coated, so they don't drape very well. However, the gold (or gold-tone) plating on the tips gives them nice characteristics for continuity testing and stable resistance readings.

After rejecting some Fluke TL71s from Amazon as possibly/likely counterfeit, I decided to try some others.

I ordered a set of the Pomona 5519A probes, new and in the box, from eBay, along with a set of Franky's Brymen leads (http://www.ebay.com/itm/171162377470 ) that looked similar to the stock Amprobe leads, but with silicone insulation.

The Pomonas disappoint. The tip coating, even after cleaning, doesn't give terribly reliable resistance readings. Worse, they cause the continuity buzzer on my non-latching meters (Amprobe AM-130 and Greenlee DM-820a, both made by Brymen) to cut out, waver, and scratch simply by rubbing the probe tips together. My Fluke 77-IV, with its latched continuity buzzer, can even be made to cut out from time to time. The silicone does give them a nice drape without kinks and tangles.

However, the Brymen leads in the link above are just top-notch. The silicone wires lay out flat, and, best of all, the tips give nice consistent readings on all three meters, with perfect operation of the continuity buzzers. I love them already. For 17 USD shipped, they're a good deal.

Now that I've looked at the Probe Masters a bit more, it looks like they'd be competitive as well, and supplied closer to home.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2015, 08:18:27 pm »
...[Poor quality probes]... cause the continuity buzzer on my non-latching meters (Brymen) to cut out, waver, and scratch simply by rubbing the probe tips together.
FWIW, the Probemasters solve this IME as well.  ;)

Offline Timur Born

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2015, 07:38:51 am »
Any experience with Keysight probes? They sell a kit called U1168A/U1168B (seems to be the same?) that costs only half as much as a Fluke TLK287.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2015, 04:01:36 pm »
Any experience with Keysight probes? They sell a kit called U1168A/U1168B (seems to be the same?) that costs only half as much as a Fluke TLK287.
The leads are 16AWG with silicone insulation, but they have a memory & stiffness that are too close to that of PVC. Overall, it's a usable basic kit and better than the cheap crap, but you can do better for the money with Probemaster IME.

Offline georges80

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2015, 04:33:22 pm »
Yeah, probemaster test leads here too. They are quality built cables, high strand count, very flexible silicone insulation and gold plated connectors at both ends with nice tips.

There's been a few threads on dmm test leads and probemaster is often recommended (for a good reason)! Folk seem happy here to spend $1k on a 6 1/2 digit or better bench meter and then quibble about saving some pennies on an ebay test lead and then complain about the quality/performance.... Penny wise, pound foolish comes to mind :)

I have four sets of probemaster test leads for my meters. A 4 wire set compatible with my Fluke 8845A, a pair with super sharp tips, an everyday pair with reasonably sharp tips and a multiple adapter end capable 'kit'. I even have one of their 10x scope cable/probe kits. Doesn't hurt at all that they are an actual US based manufacturing company that stands behind their product.

Never let me down and great quality/performance for the $.

cheers,
george.

Offline GeekPriest

• Contributor
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2015, 04:34:46 pm »
I think I'll sell the Pomonas and try the Probe Masters.

Offline soren

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2015, 07:33:50 pm »
Probemaster now offers reasonable shipping rates to Europe. It used to be more than $100 but is now $26 for USPS Priority Mail. Not exactly cheap perhaps, but non-crazy at least.

Offline georges80

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2015, 09:07:52 pm »
Probemaster now offers reasonable shipping rates to Europe. It used to be more than $100 but is now $26 for USPS Priority Mail. Not exactly cheap perhaps, but non-crazy at least.

US$26 for international priority is pretty well the true cost for a small flat rate priority box. So at least that is fair.

cheers,
george.

Offline GeekPriest

• Contributor
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2015, 09:12:45 pm »
I sure wish they'd send a pair of probes domestically (i.e., U.S.) for a first class fat envelope, which should cost about half the $6.51 for priority mail they charge now.

Offline John Coloccia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2015, 01:40:30 am »
I rather like my Pomona probes. If Probe Master are that much better, I need to try them.  :) I've just been so turned off by their standard 8000 series probes.  They look dildos, quite frankly, and just seem to be very big and bulky to the point that they'd actually block my view and make it difficult to get into tight spaces. I don't understand why they can't just make normal sized probes.

Offline GeekPriest

• Contributor
« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2015, 02:43:13 am »
If Probe Master are that much better, I need to try them.  :) I've just been so turned off by their standard 8000 series probes.  They look dildos, quite frankly, and just seem to be very big and bulky to the point that they'd actually block my view and make it difficult to get into tight spaces.

I actually agree with this. The Probe Master 8000 series are pretty homely. It doesn't look like they'd fit in the slots in the back of typical meter holsters either. The $17 Brymen ones work well and look completely normal.  ;D

The Pomona probes were nicely constructed, but the plating on the tips of the Brymen/Amprobe leads seems to make all the difference.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2015, 05:24:34 pm »
I rather like my Pomona probes. If Probe Master are that much better, I need to try them.  :) I've just been so turned off by their standard 8000 series probes.  They look dildos, quite frankly, and just seem to be very big and bulky to the point that they'd actually block my view and make it difficult to get into tight spaces. I don't understand why they can't just make normal sized probes.
The 9000 series is far better suited for electronics due to connectors IME (less weight on the test point so it stays attached).  :-+ And the standard probes are sized like what you're accustomed to.  ;)

Regarding the 8000 series, they can reach quite a few tight spots (additional length between the tip and finger guard). Also, the back half of the grey part is flexible. FWIW, I'm quite fond of the spring loaded versions (finer tips + even longer, can reach very tight spots). I highly recommend a set if you need/want a pair.

Offline Timur Born

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2015, 10:35:44 pm »
The Pomonas disappoint. The tip coating, even after cleaning, doesn't give terribly reliable resistance readings. Worse, they cause the continuity buzzer on my non-latching meters (Amprobe AM-130 and Greenlee DM-820a, both made by Brymen) to cut out, waver, and scratch simply by rubbing the probe tips together. My Fluke 77-IV, with its latched continuity buzzer, can even be made to cut out from time to time. The silicone does give them a nice drape without kinks and tangles.
The same can be said about the Fluke TL175 that came with my Fluke 289, though. Very easy to make the latched buzzer drop out with those.

Offline GeekPriest

• Contributor
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2015, 03:15:29 am »
The same can be said about the Fluke TL175 that came with my Fluke 289, though. Very easy to make the latched buzzer drop out with those.

The Pomona probes were certainly similar to the Fluke TL71 (alleged) probes I bought.

I'm no expert, but Franky's $17 Brymen probes seem better than both. The quick, stable readings from them Brymen leads are nice!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf