Author Topic: AD20 + Altium365 discount offer  (Read 20437 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline ErikITopic starter

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 6
  • Country: ee
    • My blog
AD20 + Altium365 discount offer
« on: April 26, 2020, 10:03:39 am »
As it is not yet posted here and people might not be aware, Altium is offering a discounted deal currently:
AD20 (-50%) 3995 USD
1y of subscription 1895 USD
Altium 365, included with subscription
Total 5890 USD

Didn't see any info about how long the offer will last.
More info: https://www.altium.com/ad-purchase-promo?promo_name=anywhere-anyone-q4&promo_position=sticky-top&promo_creative=v1&promocode=YMW77
 

Offline thm_w

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 9807
  • Country: ca
  • Non-expert
Re: AD20 + Altium365 discount offer
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2020, 04:01:42 am »
Says until May 15.
The interesting part is the monthly subscription, still high ($500/month), but I think its the first time they've done this.

Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures
 

Offline olkipukki

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 790
  • Country: 00
Re: AD20 + Altium365 discount offer
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2020, 03:03:04 pm »
AD20 (-50%) 3995 USD
1y of subscription 1895 USD
Yes, they are after a crowd that will generate an infinite cashflow in years to come  >:D
 

Offline olkipukki

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 790
  • Country: 00
Re: AD20 + Altium365 discount offer
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2020, 03:04:09 pm »
The interesting part is the monthly subscription, still high ($500/month), but I think its the first time they've done this.

What do you mean by 'monthly subscription'?

For me, it's just an interest-free loan, more or less same way how you can buy most overpriced stuff these days...
 

Offline thm_w

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 9807
  • Country: ca
  • Non-expert
Re: AD20 + Altium365 discount offer
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2020, 08:32:32 pm »
What do you mean by 'monthly subscription'?

For me, it's just an interest-free loan, more or less same way how you can buy most overpriced stuff these days...

My assumption is that you can pay the $500 once and then stop payment, but Its not clear on their site.
But you are likely right. There will be however, a point between $60/month (eagle PCB) and $500/month, where you can consider it a subscription service.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures
 

Offline T3sl4co1l

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 22435
  • Country: us
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
Re: AD20 + Altium365 discount offer
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2020, 04:16:18 am »
Unless they're setting up the "365" differently (read the terms!), the license is one-time and what you're buying is support (new software updates, new vault content, whatever).

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!
 

Offline olkipukki

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 790
  • Country: 00
Re: AD20 + Altium365 discount offer
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2020, 10:35:32 am »

My assumption is that you can pay the $500 once and then stop payment, but Its not clear on their site.
But you are likely right. There will be however, a point between $60/month (eagle PCB) and $500/month, where you can consider it a subscription service.

If you stop your payment, they will revoke the license since you have breached T&C
On-Demand licensing without roaming feature allows easy to do so  ;D

Don't forger On-Demand and Standalone is not same, On-Demand basically is a floating license where license server hosted and controlled by Altium  >:D

$500/m for a subscription? If you need just a month or two, might be.


P.S.
Screenshot taken from https://www.altium.com/ad-purchase-promo/altium-designer

 

Offline Ice-Tea

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3370
  • Country: be
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
Re: AD20 + Altium365 discount offer
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2020, 10:42:40 am »

My assumption is that you can pay the $500 once and then stop payment, but Its not clear on their site.
But you are likely right. There will be however, a point between $60/month (eagle PCB) and $500/month, where you can consider it a subscription service.

If you stop your payment, they will revoke the license since you have breached T&C
On-Demand licensing without roaming feature allows easy to do so  ;D

Don't forger On-Demand and Standalone is not same, On-Demand basically is a floating license where license server hosted and controlled by Altium  >:D

$500/m for a subscription? If you need just a month or two, might be.


Makes pretty good sense, actually. Small shops might have a project that needs Altium for a few months before moving onto something else.
 

Offline olkipukki

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 790
  • Country: 00
Re: AD20 + Altium365 discount offer
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2020, 10:49:46 am »
For me, it's just an interest-free loan, more or less same way how you can buy most overpriced stuff these days...

Sorry to be pedantic, nope, not an interest-free loan 495x12 != 5890  :horse:

Quote
Right now you can “buy now and pay later” to get a full perpetual license of Altium Designer with reduced pricing in a single payment,
or in 12 interest-free installment payments when you add an additional license. You’ll also have the opportunity to save even more when you refer others who purchase.

You will get a zero interest for an additional license only, otherwise a small difference
Also, you can get even more from a referral
 

Offline Pseudobyte

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 358
  • Country: us
  • Embedded Systems Engineer / PCB Designer
Re: AD20 + Altium365 discount offer
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2020, 12:36:49 pm »
I think he was referring to the fact he pays with paypal credit and the like. 0% 12 month financing
“They Don’t Think It Be Like It Is, But It Do”
 

Offline alexwhittemore

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 374
Re: AD20 + Altium365 discount offer
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2020, 10:42:17 pm »
I think he was referring to the fact he pays with paypal credit and the like. 0% 12 month financing

PP Credit is 6mo 0%, and only if you can actually pay with paypal in the first place (I assume Altium LTD doesn't take PayPal?)

Anyway - $500/mo for 1 year DOES have me seriously considering finally picking up a license. These days, I generally only use it on a "client has a license and prefers it over Eagle" basis. But $500 monthly is tolerable, where $9800 all at once THEN $150/mo after worth of subscription is a little too steep to justify.

But has anyone actually talked to a rep about it? I answered the phone for them and when I mentioned $500/mo*12 was still not impulse-buy territory for my Eagle $500/yr blood, my rep mentioned something about a pretty damn steep ADDITIONAL discount if I could prove I'm a current Eagle user. Might actually jump on that.
 
The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline PlainName

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 8834
  • Country: 00
Re: AD20 + Altium365 discount offer
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2020, 12:24:48 am »
I think it would depend heavily on where you are, since the local distributor/agent will be doing any deals. FWIW, here in the UK they sent me an invoice with a PayPal 'click here to pay' link.

If the price you quote is more or less acceptable to you, that Eagle competitive cross-grade could make it very attractive. Time negotiations for when the end of the financial quarter is fast approaching, particularly now with the global slowdown, and I'm sure you would get an offer you couldn't refuse :)
 

Offline alexwhittemore

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 374
Re: AD20 + Altium365 discount offer
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2020, 12:32:13 am »
Time negotiations for when the end of the financial quarter is fast approaching, particularly now with the global slowdown, and I'm sure you would get an offer you couldn't refuse :)

Usually I find the offer is entirely refusable - even at the end of a quarter. But the global slowdown - this time you might just be right.

Of course, the main problem here is that I'm not immune to the slowdown myself - I'm not typically in the position of being able to make more money with Altium vs Eagle, and that's an especially uncertain gamble right now!
 

Offline PlainName

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 8834
  • Country: 00
Re: AD20 + Altium365 discount offer
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2020, 01:14:50 am »
Yeah, my comment kind of assumed you had a use-case for it. If you don't, it's an expensive itch to scratch.
 

Offline ebclr

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 2332
  • Country: 00
Re: AD20 + Altium365 discount offer
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2020, 11:13:23 am »

"Not everyone needs Allegro SPB, thanks. I just want a quick and clean tool that looks fresh and doesn't lag without running on a 5 pound mobile workstation."

Take a look on Dip trace

https://diptrace.com/

Is exactly a fast and clean tool, with a decent interface ( this is where Kicad lack a lot )

 
The following users thanked this post: blueskull

Offline Pseudobyte

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 358
  • Country: us
  • Embedded Systems Engineer / PCB Designer
Re: AD20 + Altium365 discount offer
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2020, 01:18:23 pm »
I think he was referring to the fact he pays with paypal credit and the like. 0% 12 month financing

PP Credit is 6mo 0%, and only if you can actually pay with paypal in the first place (I assume Altium LTD doesn't take PayPal?)

Anyway - $500/mo for 1 year DOES have me seriously considering finally picking up a license. These days, I generally only use it on a "client has a license and prefers it over Eagle" basis. But $500 monthly is tolerable, where $9800 all at once THEN $150/mo after worth of subscription is a little too steep to justify.

But has anyone actually talked to a rep about it? I answered the phone for them and when I mentioned $500/mo*12 was still not impulse-buy territory for my Eagle $500/yr blood, my rep mentioned something about a pretty damn steep ADDITIONAL discount if I could prove I'm a current Eagle user. Might actually jump on that.

They do indeed accept paypal. Paypal credit terms also vary.
“They Don’t Think It Be Like It Is, But It Do”
 

Offline olkipukki

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 790
  • Country: 00
Re: AD20 + Altium365 discount offer
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2020, 06:37:24 pm »
Take a look on Dip trace

https://diptrace.com/

Is exactly a fast and clean tool, with a decent interface ( this is where Kicad lack a lot )
Hopefully version 4 gives much more than 3.x I tried before.
At least for people, who don't go wild with KiCad  >:D
 

Offline alexwhittemore

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 374
Re: AD20 + Altium365 discount offer
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2020, 03:06:09 pm »
Jumped on the deal, signed last week. Silence and now they tell me it'll be 24-48 hours before I can actually get the license I signed for.

God holy jesus I hate Altium as a company.

EDIT: A bit of an update, it was only like 4 hours, and they still haven't actually billed me for it like 3 weeks later. So I guess I'm okay with it? Still feels a bit like a normal "checkout" page on a website would be preferable.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 05:46:31 pm by alexwhittemore »
 
The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline PlainName

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 8834
  • Country: 00
Re: AD20 + Altium365 discount offer
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2020, 04:32:01 am »
Quote
they still haven't actually billed me for it like 3 weeks later

The sales/quote document you agree to has a live 'Click Here to Pay Now' link which may not be properly visible if you do it online, and be blocked by your PDF reader offline. You need to visit the URL it points to.

I think they do 30-day terms as standard so you have a month to not pay before they start chasing you.
 

Offline alexwhittemore

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 374
Re: AD20 + Altium365 discount offer
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2020, 10:54:48 am »
Quote
they still haven't actually billed me for it like 3 weeks later

The sales/quote document you agree to has a live 'Click Here to Pay Now' link which may not be properly visible if you do it online, and be blocked by your PDF reader offline. You need to visit the URL it points to.

I think they do 30-day terms as standard so you have a month to not pay before they start chasing you.

I just double checked and I SWEAR it doesn’t, not that I can find either reading via docusign or PDF. But also we’re not talking about net-30 in this case, as the deal is 12 monthly payments, which might have something to do with it being different.
 

Offline PlainName

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 8834
  • Country: 00
Re: AD20 + Altium365 discount offer
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2020, 11:37:58 am »
Ah, monthly would be tricky to do with a single 'pay now' thing, true :)
 

Offline PlainName

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 8834
  • Country: 00
Re: AD20 + Altium365 discount offer
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2020, 07:45:25 pm »
Quote
and I SWEAR it doesn’t

I want to apologise profusely about this. It's not that I didn't believe you, just that the previous exchange fell beyond my pre-morning tea memory horizon.
 

Offline alexwhittemore

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 374
Re: AD20 + Altium365 discount offer
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2020, 07:50:10 pm »
Quote
and I SWEAR it doesn’t

I want to apologise profusely about this

I mean, don't worry too much, I wasn't LITERALLY swearing  ;)
 

Offline Spark-Doctor

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 50
  • Country: gb
Re: AD20 + Altium365 discount offer
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2020, 06:08:23 pm »
Got this the other day from Altium, they are even going to throw in a years subscription to Concord Pro


Quote
Many CircuitStudio users are successfully making the switch to Altium Designer as their professional tool of choice because it’s so easy to use and powerful enough to tackle any design. What’s even better is right now you can get it for an unbeatable price.
Until June 21st, you can upgrade to Altium Designer 20 for just GBP2.665 (roughly 65% off) including 1-year of Subscription and access to our collaborative cloud platform, Altium 365. To make things even easier, you can opt to pay over 12 months at just GBP225 per month.
Please reply back directly if you have any questions or wish to receive a quote while you can still get this unbeatable price.
Best,
 
 
 

Offline alexwhittemore

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 374
Re: AD20 + Altium365 discount offer
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2020, 08:04:58 pm »
Got this the other day from Altium, they are even going to throw in a years subscription to Concord Pro


Or, as they advertise it, “365” which I guess, in the individual case, is literally synonymous with concord pro cloud hosted.

Anyway, frankly, the concord pro/365 stuff is quite nice. I definitely plan to make use of it, and depending on how much I use Altium generally the next year, I’d probably be inclined to keep a subscription for it (on top of updates of course)
 
The following users thanked this post: Spark-Doctor


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf

 

-->