Author Topic: Moderation reports  (Read 504937 times)

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: Moderation reports
« Reply #625 on: July 09, 2020, 12:39:42 pm »
That's it, I'm deleting posts now. This thread is for posting about moderation issues only.

The following users thanked this post: Neilm, Fraser, PA0PBZ, edavid, Brumby, Ian.M, MK14, 0culus

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #626 on: July 10, 2020, 12:24:04 am »
User micksmelanie, { https://www.eevblog.com/forum/profile/?u=683336 }
Seems to be a SPAMMING account, and a huge number of their posts, are just (hidden) attempts at regularly dropping links to items on (I assume, their own) Ali-express etc, accounts/pages.
Huge number of examples possible, but I will only show a few here.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/question-recharge-cicle-battery-in-smartphone/msg3119084/#msg3119084

This one even has the name (DOOGEE Joanna Store) of their (I assume), shop on, in the photograph:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/question-remove-battery-smartphone/msg3114956/#msg3114956

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/help-choose-opinion-smartphone/msg3113544/#msg3113544

N.B. Don't be fooled. They have added TEXT, to make it look like they have created genuine threads, and then typically they ignore all replies and/or give silly/strange responses.

They also create these kinds of threads, which are to make their forum ID look more genuine, for later adverts, or some other nefarious reason ?
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/question-scratches-crt-tv/msg3128796/?topicseen#msg3128796

Post to EXACTLY the same aliexpress shop again.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/help-choose-opinion-smartphone/msg3114394/#msg3114394

« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 12:39:04 am by MK14 »

The following users thanked this post: Fraser, amyk, edavid, Ian.M

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #627 on: July 10, 2020, 12:50:07 am »
User micksmelanie, { https://www.eevblog.com/forum/profile/?u=683336 }
Seems to be a SPAMMING account, and a huge number of their posts, are just (hidden) attempts at regularly dropping links to items on (I assume, their own) Ali-express etc, accounts/pages.

Yep, huge number of question posts and no interaction. Completely sus. Banned.

The following users thanked this post: amyk, rsjsouza, tggzzz, Ian.M, tooki, Ysjoelfir, MK14, 0culus

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #628 on: July 26, 2020, 06:49:04 am »
I'd like to report a certain long standing forum member creating an alias account just to annoy me in PM.

Immediately before reading this, I responded to a post from that user. The post was directly relevant to the OP's question, accurate and helpful. My response started "Just so. The only point I will amplify is that..."
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/jobs/electrical-engineering-student-looking-for-ways-to-improve-resume-247510/msg3156356/#msg3156356

While I have no comment about PMs, the "...just to annoy me..." appears incorrect. I reserve the right to change that observation!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 06:57:36 am by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #629 on: July 26, 2020, 06:57:51 am »
winniethepooh_icu is clearly an existing current (or banned) user though.

The following users thanked this post: blueskull, MK14

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #630 on: July 26, 2020, 06:58:33 am »
While I have no comment about PMs, the "...just to annoy me..." appears incorrect.

If you don't mind me, giving an alternative version.

There is at least one post of 'his?', which seems to be a personal attack against Dave himself.
So, it does seem to be a 'throw away'/burner type of account.

But I could be wrong.

Also, the attacking post (and/or rather rude), seems weird, if the user has only recently joined the forum and got a small post count.

I.e. A real new user, is unlikely to attack Dave.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #631 on: July 26, 2020, 07:00:37 am »
.... unless they've been simmering for a while from the outside looking in and decided to register so they could air their displeasure.

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #632 on: July 26, 2020, 07:09:50 am »
.... unless they've been simmering for a while from the outside looking in and decided to register so they could air their displeasure.

You could be right.

This one, seems to be attacking:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/first-4-layer-pcb-traces-on-each-layer-a-good-idea/msg3156204/#msg3156204

This one is either attacking or joking, I'm not sure.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/dave-through-the-years/msg3145502/#msg3145502

Limited information, so I accept, the evidence in this post, is rather weak.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #633 on: July 26, 2020, 08:04:06 am »
While I have no comment about PMs, the "...just to annoy me..." appears incorrect.

If you don't mind me, giving an alternative version.

There is at least one post of 'his?', which seems to be a personal attack against Dave himself.
So, it does seem to be a 'throw away'/burner type of account.

But I could be wrong.

Also, the attacking post (and/or rather rude), seems weird, if the user has only recently joined the forum and got a small post count.

I.e. A real new user, is unlikely to attack Dave.

Agreed. Judging by the adjacent timestamps, it appears that my addition "I reserve the right to change that observation!" might have passed your post in the æther.

It may well be that a (ab)user has chosen to be subtle, i.e. a good public persona, but a poor private one. I can't think why they would bother; certainly I could never bother to be that "subtle".

General observations are that nastiness begets nastiness, and the mods have far more info than we do. Hence I'm very content that they keep a tight lid on abusive behaviour.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: MK14

Offline Weston

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #634 on: July 26, 2020, 08:25:11 am »
Interesting situation. It's almost as if one user getting away with worse behavior than anyone else on the forum leads to worst behavior from others.

Hopefully the mods should be able to resolve the situation from the logs. But presumably the offender is using Tor or a proxy. I think there are databases that allow you to default block most Tor exit nodes?

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #635 on: July 26, 2020, 11:03:57 pm »
Once I was sent an unwarranted PM from a user and he decided it was a good idea to demand I took down a post of mine. I brought this to the mods and they mentioned having no access to PMs. I wonder if they could access if they tried or perhaps they took the very sane route and deliberately decided to be better off without knowing.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #636 on: July 27, 2020, 12:55:37 am »
Once I was sent an unwarranted PM from a user and he decided it was a good idea to demand I took down a post of mine. I brought this to the mods and they mentioned having no access to PMs. I wonder if they could access if they tried or perhaps they took the very sane route and deliberately decided to be better off without knowing.

We do not have access to PM's or passwords. Everything else, yes.
Although I don't believe messages are actually encrypted in the database, it's just that the SMF software has no ability for admins to read them. So I guess in theory it's possible to read PM's if you search the database manually and extract the text.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 12:58:47 am by EEVblog »

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #637 on: July 27, 2020, 03:01:48 am »
What Dave said - and you would need to have some understanding of the database architecture to do it.  Also, there would be no formatting as such, so that could be an extra challenge.

In short, while able to be done, it can be a right pain - and those of us (that are worth anything) who have that sort of access, hold such privilege to a high standard and would not travel down that path easily.  The people I see running things at EEVblog are ones I see as being of this calibre.

Passwords are a different kettle of fish.  They are set up to make sniffing them out pretty much impossible.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 03:03:27 am by Brumby »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #638 on: July 27, 2020, 03:43:16 am »
What Dave said - and you would need to have some understanding of the database architecture to do it.  Also, there would be no formatting as such, so that could be an extra challenge.
In short, while able to be done, it can be a right pain - and those of us (that are worth anything) who have that sort of access, hold such privilege to a high standard and would not travel down that path easily.  The people I see running things at EEVblog are ones I see as being of this calibre.

I don't even have access to the database. Well, technically I do, but it requires some command line access thing that gnif uses, as the easier to use cpanel server doesn't handle the forum database, it's on a different server.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #639 on: July 31, 2020, 03:12:31 am »
So there's two reasons why people shouldn't be concerned about the privacy of their PMs...

(a) It's not the right thing to do
 (b) It's too freaking involved

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #640 on: July 31, 2020, 03:23:32 am »
So there's two reasons why people shouldn't be concerned about the privacy of their PMs...

I'm not concerned that the admins might be able to access PMs, and I personally trust Dave, but if I were concerned I'd be seriously gullible to accept at face value someone who I might worry about having access saying they don't.

(b) It's too freaking involved

Pro tip: use a computer for complicated stuff.

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #641 on: July 31, 2020, 03:33:23 am »

One has to learn to use the computer, and if Dave hasn't found the motivation in the last 10 years, he's not going to over some random person's private messages. ;)

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #642 on: July 31, 2020, 12:43:13 pm »
That's easy to say - but there's a learning curve.

One has to learn to use the computer, and if Dave hasn't found the motivation in the last 10 years, he's not going to over some random person's private messages. ;)
Exactly.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #643 on: July 31, 2020, 12:48:52 pm »
there's a learning curve.

I am fairly sure Dave has figured how to Google by now :)

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #644 on: July 31, 2020, 12:54:38 pm »
That's just a means to get the knowledge, but there are a few other steps required - such as knowing what knowledge you need, learning it, understanding it and then applying it to the problem at hand.  You then have to understand the database - but I daresay the design document won't be available, so that makes it challenging - and build a program that will pull everything together in a straightforward presentation of the data.

... and this is not taking into consideration ANY of the abnormal conditions that a GOOD piece of software will cope with.

I just can't see Dave jumping into that abyss any time soon.

I get the feeling you've never written any mission critical software.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #645 on: July 31, 2020, 01:28:14 pm »
Edit: forget it. Clearly, something turns upside down crossing the equator.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 01:32:20 pm by dunkemhigh »

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #646 on: July 31, 2020, 01:39:25 pm »
Edit: forget it. Clearly, something turns upside down crossing the equator.

If someones got superuser/root/admin privileges. Then you need to trust them, which I do (here).

You are not forced to put secret, highly personal, critical information through the forums PM system. If you are worried, you could either never use the PM system, only send unimportant information, or PM an email account reference (doesn't have to be your main/real one), and use that to communicate with the other parties.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #647 on: August 01, 2020, 05:20:46 am »
That's just a means to get the knowledge, but there are a few other steps required - such as knowing what knowledge you need, learning it, understanding it and then applying it to the problem at hand.  You then have to understand the database - but I daresay the design document won't be available, so that makes it challenging - and build a program that will pull everything together in a straightforward presentation of the data.
... and this is not taking into consideration ANY of the abnormal conditions that a GOOD piece of software will cope with.
I just can't see Dave jumping into that abyss any time soon.

I can't imagine any possible scenario that would be so important that I'd spend any time learning how to read PM's from the database.
So don't even both asking me to try.
Even if I got a police request or court order for some reason, I'd probably just hand over the raw database and say "here, you do the work to find it".

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #648 on: August 01, 2020, 08:23:05 am »
That sounds like the Dave I (sorta) know.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #649 on: August 01, 2020, 02:58:20 pm »
That sounds like the Dave I (sorta) know.

Yeah, it's not like we're short of actual video evidence of him trying to install software and get to grips with it.  :)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf