Author Topic: New Member, Please introduce yourself  (Read 1444714 times)

Offline Dieselrunner88

• Contributor
Re: New Member, Please introduce yourself
« Reply #400 on: August 27, 2011, 04:45:00 pm »
Hi everyone I am a public bus technician with a background in electronics.  I am always fascinated in how electronic devices can stand such an abusive environment and yet fail so easily.  I am an American from North Carolina.   I tinker with electronics mostly failure analysis.
Scavenging for parts.  What is this?  oh well I'll throw it in with the rest of the unknown stuff!

Offline Keith

• Contributor
« Reply #401 on: August 28, 2011, 12:32:20 am »
Hello All - Keith from PA. I have pulled all my gear out of storage, just completed building my bench(30" x 8'). I'm not doing EE for a living although I'm formally trained. I simply miss it. Looking forward to interacting with you all....regards

Offline dumpystig

• Contributor
« Reply #402 on: August 29, 2011, 10:30:06 pm »
Hi folks,
            My name is Mark, I live in the UK, and I've been an electronic hobbyist/DIY'er since my early teens. No formal electronics training (although I'm an electrician by trade) but I've got by over the years fixing/adapting/building/modding a multitude of differing circuits, projects, parts etc..

I'm looking forward to getting involved in this site, hopefully I may be able to help someone along the way.

Offline Kozmyk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #403 on: August 29, 2011, 11:47:37 pm »
Apologies
I just realised that I'd missed this "Introduce Yourself" post. So belatedly:
I'm retired now, I used to be a sound engineer - live and studio, had a modest PA rig of my own and worked for bigger rigs.
I've designed and built recording studios, been a college technician, field service engineer and a TV production line repair technician.
Invented and designed a few things, none of which made me rich.
All the while chasing the impossible dreams of a rock musician (bass guitar mainly) and avoiding the restrictions of general consensus reality wherever possible ;-)
I used to enjoy a bit of target shooting, won a few medals; but my mobility problems aren't really conducive to that these days.  :(
Recently I've been mucking about with RC models, revisiting an old hobby from when I was a boy. Helis, planks, boats and 1 truck.
I do the odd EE project for my own amusement, occasionally I get roped in on an industrial project by mates still in the industry.

Found EEVBlog through YouTube and RCModelReviews when looking for a scope.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 11:50:57 pm by Kozmyk »

Offline Computeruser

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #404 on: August 30, 2011, 12:10:27 am »
Hello All,

I have been looking around EEVBlog and just joined. I hobby (a bit) in electronics and join the electronics hobby with my model railroad. I found EEVBlog while researching a Tek TDS2024C oscilloscope that I finally purchased. It is a fine instrument and I like it very much.    .... C

Offline Stiege

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #405 on: August 30, 2011, 01:25:42 am »
Hey, I'm Alex, studying Electrical Engineering at Waikato University in New Zealand. 2nd year at the moment but enjoy doing electronics out of the classroom way more than the math and physics we do in lectures.

Looking at doing my first electronic work placement this summer and really looking forward to that. If anyone has any positions free I can send my CV in!!! Was in the Army for 4 years as an officer before leaving in order to take up full time study.

Cheers

Alex

Offline robrenz

• Super Contributor
  • Real Machinist, Wannabe EE
« Reply #406 on: August 30, 2011, 02:18:41 am »
Hello everyone,  I am a journeyman machinist/mechanical engineer with a business designing and manufacturing precision spindles and grinding equipment.  I am a wannabe when it comes to the electronic end of things but I am working hard at getting up to speed. EEVblog is definitely a big help. The agilent scope  is what led me to this site.  I was hooked! I went back and watched every episode until i was caught up.  Thanks Dave.

Offline SlimShader

« Reply #407 on: August 31, 2011, 07:44:54 am »
Hi all!

My name is Colin, and I live in Russia, just south of Moscow, although I'm actually British.
I studied electronics design at college, but moved into PC maintenance and repair early in my career and haven't touched a soldering iron for 20 years. Watching Dave's EEV blog and stuff like Make Magazine have reminded me how much I enjoyed tinkering and building in electronics, so I'm in the process of putting a workshop together to allow me to re-learn all the good stuff I've forgotten and make some nice electronics projects for myself.

See you all on the forum!

Colin

Offline vlelet1969

« Reply #408 on: September 01, 2011, 02:42:32 am »
Hello everyone,

I'm from NYC and a certified early childhood education teacher. I used to dabble in hobby electronics and finding this forum brought back the itch to have an electronic project again. Many years ago, I successfully built my small version of a stereo amplifier based on the schematics of a popular car stereo amplifier.

I'm looking forward to learn from and share with other members of this forum.

:)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 03:36:40 am by vlelet1969 »

Offline ThePranksta

• Contributor
    • Lattech Systems
« Reply #409 on: September 01, 2011, 02:49:09 pm »
Hi all. Helgard from Cape Town, South Africa. Studied EE and Computers Sciences at Stellenbosch University.  Been in the industry for almost 4 years mostly doing firmware/embedded programming and hardware design assistance on low power rf products and GSM products.

Interests in anything electronic, especially anything that goes KNACK, BANG and BOOM!  ;D

Offline bullet308

• Frequent Contributor
  • Jack of All Trades, Master of None Related to EE
« Reply #410 on: September 07, 2011, 10:05:56 pm »
Hi, I am in South Carolina, USA. I have dabbled in electronics since my father taught me how to solder when I was seven. Several decades later, I am trying to actually learn how this stuff works in some detail and depth. My personal interests are related to radiation metrology (Geiger counters, scintillation detectors, etc). The main thing characterizing these devices is the need for a low-voltage side to receive, process and display information from the high-voltage side without getting fried. Anyway, I am playing with  Atmel microcontrollers to do the bulk of the low voltage processing and display stuff. Love Dave's blog!  :-) Thanks!
>>>BULLET>>>

Offline pedro48

• Contributor
  • Black is just White without light
« Reply #411 on: September 15, 2011, 11:49:35 am »
hello from sunny australia... been on the planet long enough for anti-oxidants to be important... and have a broad interest in the field, have a collection of trs-80's, a 1936 Stromberg Carlson and currently messing with arduinos..building a microcontroller bird bath/water feature .. just bought an analogue scope, and about to start messing with solar panels at scale,  played wolfenstein yesterday ... you should try it ... good for your heart.

looking forward to the forum...

Offline Crenwick

• Contributor
« Reply #412 on: September 15, 2011, 01:51:32 pm »
Hello everyone,

I'm from Belgium and studied electronics 25 years ago :-[ . I suddenly decided to come back to pcb's and components with the idee to make a lot of gadgets for my family  :)

I'm now busy with PIC's ...

See you,

Bernard

Offline ChrisKiwi

• Contributor
« Reply #413 on: September 16, 2011, 05:57:29 am »
Greetings from New Zealand

I have about 20 years electronics industry experience ranging from design, manufacturing, management, testing, and production engineering.  Two and a half years ago I relocated to take up a new job with a tech start up as production engineer.   A number of us ended up being made redundant so I decided to go back to university.  I stumbled across this blog while researching the Rigol DSO's.  My main current interests are instrumentation and control.

Offline electrodynatronic

« Reply #414 on: September 17, 2011, 07:47:16 pm »
Howdy from Texas.

Offline vk6hdx

• Regular Contributor
    • vk6hdx - Twitter
« Reply #415 on: September 17, 2011, 11:36:17 pm »
Greetings from Perth, long time listener to Dave's show and lurker here on the forums.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #416 on: September 18, 2011, 01:17:47 am »
Gooday,VK6HDX,

It's good to see more Hams invading the hallowed halls of EEV Blog! ;D
Are you on QRZ.com,too?

73,VK6ZGO

Offline Tin_Courier

• Avatar Photo lifted from cssci.org - not mine.
« Reply #417 on: September 19, 2011, 03:15:20 am »
Hello.  I'm Jeff Ryan in Portland, OR.  Have worked in metal fabrication, gas appliance service, and now ~1 yr into a gig with a custom RF controls company, doing service and modifications on industrial radio remote controls and packages.  Steep learning curve, this.  Slowly getting pretty comfortable troubleshooting our hardware (returns from the field, and production rejects), and have been slowly dipping my toe into reading and modifying existing code (we write in C, compile in Ubuntu, and ICP is done with dataflash hardware designed in-house.

I've had a hobbyist's interest in electronics for some time, but little proper hands-on experience until recently (previously lots of misguided attempts at too-clever DIY electronics projects, several completed kits, a little bit of breadboard time playing with transistors, op-amps, linear stuff with varying degrees of success.

I'm excited to get into a forum.  I don't spend a lot of time on the internet unless I'm actively researching something, but it seems like a great resource for browsing and getting (and giving) ideas.  I have some useful knowledge, but many gaps in my grasp and capabilities (more than I know, I'm sure), and I'm looking forward to getting a better practical sense of the terrain.

As far as the blog, I've jumped around the catalog for a year or two, and just recently started back to watch them in order (still cherrypicking a couple out of sequence) , and I've just watched the (first?) hardware puzzler (with the relays), thinking episode ~35, or around there.  I get a real kick out of Dave Jones (the bit about Assembly programmers (dickheads! ha!)!).  Anyway, hi everybody!

-Jeff Ryan
Tin_Courier

Attached below is backside of a board we make in house.  I didn't have anything to do with developing it, just wanted a picture.
Could be wrong.  Hard telling not knowing.
--

Offline HammerFET

• Contributor
    • NakLojik
« Reply #418 on: September 22, 2011, 12:39:06 pm »
Hi all, my name is Raj. I'm from London in the UK, currently studying about a hundred miles west in Bristol. I've just finished second year of my Electrical and Electronic MEng and (hopefully) will be going into third year!

I'm a bit of a audio enthusiast (don't get me wrong, not one of these "audiophools") and I'm also getting into computer systems and trying to integrate smarter electronics into RC models (the long road to robotics!).

I have an obsession with tools and equipment, so much so that my student bedroom has no bed because... I kinda turned it into a workbench...

That's fine though cos I just steal my girlfriends room   :-X . I'm just not aloud to touch anything.

I move around a lot between Uni and home so am always trying to see where I can make things smaller and more transportable. I however still have, what my parents would say, "more sh*t than the average student".

I play guitar, or try to. I listen to anything but pop music  :o however have a strong devotion to METAL!!!

Unlike most metal heads very religious. I believe in SMT and nothing else unless absolutely necessary  ;). Tis the way forward!

Offline Mrbrillio

« Reply #419 on: September 22, 2011, 07:53:20 pm »
Hi to everyone! :D
I'm from Florence in Italy and i'm an electric engeneering student and a new member of this community.  :D

I'm an hobbyst in electronic from when I started study it in technical high school. Beside i'm also interested in various aspect of "bricolage" especially like wood and metal working.

Otherway i hope to have some good time in this community. ;)

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #420 on: September 23, 2011, 03:37:13 am »
Hi everyone,

Been lurking for quite sometime and finally decided to jump in here.

An electronic enthusiast and love to tinker, aren't we all ? :D

Thanks Dave and Cheers.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 01:24:22 pm by BravoV »

Offline Lanman

• Contributor
« Reply #421 on: September 23, 2011, 09:01:54 pm »
Hello,
Dave from Central California.  I live just east of Clovis up against the Sierra Foothills.  I've been playing with electrons as long as I can remember.  I think the first words I spoke had something to do with Ohm's Law.  My dad was a Mechanical Engineer so he started it.  I started my education as an EE and was recruited by HP's Test and Measurements Div. before I finished college in 1984.  I was a lead tech playing with frequency counters.  I did failure analysis and some product development when needed.  After a short period of time, the bottom fell out of the test & measurements market and I needed a new job so I jumped to HP Labs as a Systems Engineer working on the Spectrum Project.  That changed my focus to Computer Engineering and fortunately for me HP paid the bills.  After 5 years of no sleep, literally almost never a day off, I achieved burnout and left HP.  Since those days, I've done a lot of different things; Telecommunications, Networking, Programing, Database Management, Large Systems Integration & Project Management.  I finally retired in 2004 and have been bored ever since.  Well not quite, but there are days when I miss the work... but not that much.  These days I spend much of my time woodworking, motorcycle riding, and still playing with electrons.   

I was doing some Internet research for a project I've been working on and found the EEVBLOG.  I love Dave's videos so thought I would stick around and see what's up.  A lot of good info here and some interesting projects.  Seems like good stuff all the way around.

Great site you have here Dave!
Dave               

Offline pastus

• Pastus
« Reply #422 on: September 23, 2011, 09:15:03 pm »
Hi everybody!
I'm Alessandro from Italy.

I'm finshing my master degree in informatic engineer and I'm writing my final thesis on a new type of loudspeaker.

My work/hobby experience range from informatic consultant, network installation and configuration, wirelless bridge (even climb on pilon), radio ham (american and italian licence), repairing audio/video device,  electrical and telephone installator and industrial automation.

I been a research student in my university for one and half year on hydrogen production and storage topic, i went for work to thailand, malesia and taiwan.

I'm a "few time" user of Microchip uC.
I think that's almost all..
sorry for my fast/bad english...

Bye bye
--
Bye

Alessandro Pasta

Offline Achilles

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #423 on: September 27, 2011, 04:06:39 pm »
Hi all around,
I have been reading here from time to time so I decided to join....

I am Sebastian from Germany, student and work in our laboratory for climatology and remote sensing.
I learned sth. like a Physicist, Laboratory Assistent but went on to Geography then. Now I am maintaining the equipment of our lab, so it's like the neverending circle ;)

cheers, Sebastian

Offline aard3

« Reply #424 on: October 04, 2011, 05:52:00 am »
Hello from another yank in the states!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf