Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2797803 times)

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
Re: PCN shunt resistors
« Reply #5525 on: February 17, 2018, 09:13:32 am »
Or just for current carrying capacity - 1milliohm at 50 W = 223A

As I don't have any plan on it yet, series with car's battery, wonder if this is enough say coupled with scope at the sense wires to capture car's engine motor start up current ?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 09:15:30 am by BravoV »

Offline grumpydoc

• Super Contributor
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #5526 on: February 17, 2018, 09:46:28 am »
New media/NAS server - still a couple of items to go but enough to get started

Minor compromise on some items given availability/price, we'll see how it goes.

Offline grumpydoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5527 on: February 17, 2018, 09:58:59 am »

An 8700k NAS???

I know, I was thinking it might be a bit underpowered as well, do you think I should have stuck with the i9 7980XE?

Offline grumpydoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5528 on: February 17, 2018, 10:17:58 am »
I guess so, maybe adding in a Titan V and populate all RAM slots. A few Intel 900P for storing movies and a 40Gbps QSFP+ NIC are absolutely necessary.
:)

That would be quite some system.

Being slightly more sensible I covered some of the rationale in my post bemoaning the lack of great choice in 8-bay NAS cases in the market at present. The reason for the system upgrade is I'm running ot of disk space on the existing box. The reason for the overkill CPU (for a NAS) is that I'm trying to consolidate boxes so it will be my go-to PC as well as running a media server, holding the DVD and Blu-ray collection (still have more than 70% to go and the existing box is filling fast), transcoding to h.265, some video editing and hosting email/imap.

I got the "K" because I'll probably want/need to undervolt it if possible - at least initially. Air cooling is always going to be compromised in this case - liquid cooling might just be possible but it will be very tight and I'm got going there in the first instance.

I know it's not exactly best practice to use a server as a production PC but I've had a server/work PC split for the past 5 years and it hasn't turned out to work all that well. Most of the time if I want to quickly check a web page I'll just turn the monitor on and flick the KVM to the server as it's faster than booting the "big" PC, even given the fact that it has an SSD. Also it's running out of disk as well and I figured it was better to kill two birds with one stone.

Fortunately I don't play PC games so the one thing I don't need to try to squeeze in is that Titan V

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #5529 on: February 17, 2018, 10:56:16 am »

As I don't have any plan on it yet, series with car's battery, wonder if this is enough say coupled with scope at the sense wires to capture car's engine motor start up current ?
Yeah they should easy do that with ~200% overload for a short duration. I wouldn't trust that they'll meet original tempco specs later though without some checks.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #5530 on: February 17, 2018, 11:52:14 am »

Yeah they should easy do that with ~200% overload for a short duration. I wouldn't trust that they'll meet original tempco specs later though without some checks.

Thanks, as I expected, since as datasheet stated its capable of maintaining the +/- 0.1% tolerance up to twice the watt rating, and up to 5 seconds. Also up to 150C for 2 hours at the same tolerance.

5 seconds is more than what I need, as I just want to take a scope single shot during the motor cranking up and starts the engine, that should be way under 5 seconds right ? Did I miss anything ?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 11:54:01 am by BravoV »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #5531 on: February 17, 2018, 12:33:01 pm »

Yeah they should easy do that with ~100% overload for a short duration. I wouldn't trust that they'll meet original tempco specs later though without some checks.

Thanks, as I expected, since as datasheet stated its capable of maintaining the +/- 0.1% tolerance up to twice the watt rating, and up to 5 seconds. Also up to 150C for 2 hours at the same tolerance.

5 seconds is more than what I need, as I just want to take a scope single shot during the motor cranking up and starts the engine, that should be way under 5 seconds right ? Did I miss anything ?
That's a pretty good spec IMO.
Don't know what I was thinking and changed previous comment down to 100% (double the rating).

If it not a diesel that have a higher draw you should be good to go.
Looking forward to the scope screenshots !
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #5532 on: February 17, 2018, 03:51:30 pm »
That's a pretty good spec IMO.
Don't know what I was thinking and changed previous comment down to 100% (double the rating).

Yep, one of the reason I grabbed bunch of them realizing these are pretty good resistors, not just crude big ass dummy load ones.

If it not a diesel that have a higher draw you should be good to go.
Looking forward to the scope screenshots !

Its gasoline, interested to see the 1st few seconds of the current surge and voltage dropped.

Will do, once I figured out how to attached this bad boy securely and has a good connection to the battery's terminal.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5533 on: February 17, 2018, 04:57:26 pm »
That seems like massive overkill for a home NAS. I guess maybe if you also use it for other things it makes sense.

Nice looking case.  :-+

Minor compromise on some items given availability/price, we'll see how it goes.

Offline hugo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5534 on: February 17, 2018, 04:58:44 pm »

Just use a clamp meter, it's easier ... ;)

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5535 on: February 17, 2018, 05:49:28 pm »
This Hermes story is becoming strange..

My wife and I were having lunch when the door bell rang.
I walked to the door immediately and found a big cardbox package right on our door step. Our flat is on the ground floor, so I can check the door of the house easily: there was nobody at all, the door was closed. The person who put the package there and rang must have been really rushing out of the house. I walked back in and opened a window to look if there was somebody hurrying down the street but again: nobody at all.   :o

The cardbox package is the missing Hermes package. It seemed untouched and after I opened it I still had this impression: It was nicely packed and it didn't look like beeing inspected be someone else before.   :-+

No surprise, Hermes still hasn't answered my complaint yet.
They told me I could use the email with the complaints ticket notice to reply to them if the package should get to me.   :-DD
But I won't do them this favour: I *!Q#X?&!* do want to know to whom the package was delivered originally..!   :rant:

After all a happy end:
I now have an Agilent 6063B 0-10A,3-240V 250W DC Electronic Load in nearly mint condition to be used.   :-+

By the way: According to its serial number it's my newest piece of Test Equipment besides my Fluke 85 III, 87 V and other miscellaneous hand held Multimeters.

Here is a pic of the front and back panel to give you an impression:

Only some sticker residue right the LCD that will easily be removed.

It was offered on *bay as "the 120V-Version".
I guess that's why I had not much competition on that auction and won it for 167EUR.  :)

And it was indeed the 120V version. -But it's easily convertible to 220V/240V by switches inside -what I did.    ;)

With this price and the shipping costs plus customs (~ half of the price) the over all price is quite a bargain for me: I also considered to buy a Maynuo or Itech and their 300W-Versions go for more..

On the other hand, the 6063B is unquestionable solid and reliable.
I tested it using two HP 6643A Power Supplies for giving 240 Watts to it and it blew that power right out of its back vents for over two hours without a moan.   :-+

With its Transient feature I'm now able to do things I wasn't able to test without it. Very handy.  :-+

Happy.  Addiction satisfied once again  :)
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, Inverted18650

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #5536 on: February 17, 2018, 05:49:48 pm »

Just use a clamp meter, it's easier ... ;)

Thanks, do you mean like using my humble clamp meter -> Here ?  Done that years ago. ;)

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #5537 on: February 17, 2018, 06:00:54 pm »
After all a happy end:
I now have an Agilent 6063B 0-10A,3-240V 250W DC Electronic Load in nearly mint condition to be used.   :-+

Glad it finally arrived. It really does look like new.

It was offered on *bay as "the 120V-Version".
I guess that's why I had not much competition on that auction and won it for 167EUR.  :)

And it was indeed the 120V version. -But it's easily convertible to 220V/240V by switches inside -what I did.    ;)

That's a great deal! I guess lots of people don't read the manual prior to purchase. That's a good thing. :-DD

Happy.  Addiction satisfied once again  :)

:phew:
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5538 on: February 17, 2018, 06:36:02 pm »

That's a great deal! I guess lots of people don't read the manual prior to purchase. That's a good thing. :-DD

Thats the first thing I do, check for a manual and if it can be modified.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline grumpydoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5539 on: February 17, 2018, 06:37:08 pm »
That seems like massive overkill for a home NAS. I guess maybe if you also use it for other things it makes sense.
Overkill is fun  >:D

Nice looking case.  :-+
Nice looking, yes.

It's cramped - my fault for liking lots of CPU and disk in a small box, there are no individual hdd activity LEDs which is a pain, the front surface is matt, almost rubbery and it looks like it will be a finger print magnet and not all that robust against scratches, cable management is somewhat non-existent, thermals are going to be "interesting" and it has an odd extra USB connection going up to the front panel - when I looked there is what I suspect is an RGB LED and an empty 8-pin DIP socket which I suppose is intended to contain some sort of interface between the two - I've had a quick look and can't see anything standard so i suspect it needs a microcontroller there.

But I wanted small and it meets that criterion - the other problems mostly flow from that choice so I'm not complaining as such. If I can get everything squeezed in I'll be happy.

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5540 on: February 17, 2018, 06:57:33 pm »
A NAS has been on my list for a while.  I have 8 SATA drives in my PC and an external and most of it is not shared.  The plan is to move to a NAS for everything except OS and Games which will go onto SSDs.

The downside is NASes are either weedy, plagued with nonsense software or really expensive.

Building my own is a nice idea.  I tried a Raspberry PI.  It just can't cut it under heavy interactive load like browsing video thumbnails on a smart tv would just lock it up with 12 fileserver threads hitting it simultaneously..

So I understand the want for some power too :)  An i7 ... a little overkill though.
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Offline grumpydoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5541 on: February 17, 2018, 07:22:41 pm »
A NAS has been on my list for a while.  I have 8 SATA drives in my PC and an external and most of it is not shared.  The plan is to move to a NAS for everything except OS and Games which will go onto SSDs.

The downside is NASes are either weedy, plagued with nonsense software or really expensive.

Building my own is a nice idea.  I tried a Raspberry PI.  It just can't cut it under heavy interactive load like browsing video thumbnails on a smart tv would just lock it up with 12 fileserver threads hitting it simultaneously..

So I understand the want for some power too :)  An i7 ... a little overkill though.
A Pi is probably a bit underpowered for that - makes a nice enough email server though.

I was only half joking about the i9 - I did actually consider it briefly before deciding that it wasn't going to fly, but there actually are mini-itx X299 chipset motherboards  :scared:

I actually quite like the existing set-up - an i7-3770T in a Morex Venus 669 case with the original 5.25" bays filled with an Icy-Dock 3x 3.5" caddy and the original 3.5" bay taking a 2x 2.5" caddy. Works well, not too cramped inside, temperatures absolutely fine. I just can't get more disks into it.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 07:32:11 pm by grumpydoc »

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #5542 on: February 17, 2018, 10:43:19 pm »
Scooped up a lot of precision resistors from eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Caddock-High-Performance-Film-Resistors-TF020R-BUNDLE-NEW-OLD-STOCK-/112812652488

I am certain URI outbid me for the 6063  |O I too was shocked noone else was bidding on the unit so I thought I was going to steal it at $150...nice ctach mate, Im kicking myself!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 10:54:00 pm by Inverted18650 »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5543 on: February 17, 2018, 10:57:32 pm »
Scooped up a lot of precision resistors from eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Caddock-High-Performance-Film-Resistors-TF020R-BUNDLE-NEW-OLD-STOCK-/112812652488

I am certain URI outbid me for the 6063  |O I too was shocked noone else was bidding on the unit so I thought I was going to steal it at $150...nice ctach mate, Im kicking myself!

They are expensive for 1% resistors if you don't me saying so.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline GerryBags

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5544 on: February 17, 2018, 11:43:55 pm »
Bits and bobs to make a dim bulb tester and an LG FG-7002C (putting all the fun back in) function gen for hundred quid were today's purchases. 2 MHz is plenty for me at the moment. I have an old TTi one that will go a little higher but it has no sweep. The LG also has CMOS/TTL output. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #5546 on: February 18, 2018, 12:26:13 am »
Caddock has a line of 0.1 and even 0.01% abs accuracy but they are still just 5ppm and cost at least $20 each, so I think this lot was a good buy. They are getting increasingly harder to find as well.

https://www.digikey.com/products/en/resistors/through-hole-resistors/53?k=caddock&k=&pkeyword=caddock&pv17=108&FV=ffe00035&mnonly=0&ColumnSort=0&page=1&quantity=0&ptm=0&fid=0&pageSize=25

I may just keep two or three of each and relist the rest to recoup some of the investment. I don't really have a plan for them, but wanted a variety for experiments. I am currently rebuilding the Scullcom/Barbouri Millivolt Meter so I will get to play with various dividers and see how they behave.

https://www.barbouri.com/2016/05/26/millivolt-meter/

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5547 on: February 18, 2018, 12:56:25 am »
You didn't buy those, you STOLE them.  :o  ;D

That's definitely worthy of a YOU SUCK award.  :-+

The following users thanked this post: Inverted18650

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5548 on: February 18, 2018, 01:11:52 am »
I bought myself a Fluke 289 today. I've wanted 1 for a while now and finally pulled the trigger today! I should get it Monday or Tuesday so looking forward to that!  :)

It's funny how we talk ourselves into "really" needing these things! Electronics is a very expensive hobby that could very easy get out of hand if your not careful......  :-DD
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #5549 on: February 18, 2018, 01:20:09 am »
I bought myself a Fluke 289 today. I've wanted 1 for a while now and finally pulled the trigger today! I should get it Monday or Tuesday so looking forward to that!  :)

It's funny how we talk ourselves into "really" needing these things! Electronics is a very expensive hobby that could very easy get out of hand if your not careful......  :-DD

Its called TEA, you will be welcomed there -> TEA Brotherhood Pub. >:D

Everyone there "need" every T&M equipment they could get, not just wanting it.  :-DD

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf