Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2798014 times)

w.v.s., old-jo and 16 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #8475 on: July 05, 2019, 06:41:59 pm »
Just do a DuckDuckGo image search on Plitvice to see what I mean.

Oh, that brings back memories! Been there a couple of times with my parents when I was a teenager, it always felt special swimming there with the water snakes! :)

Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #8476 on: July 06, 2019, 02:57:00 am »
...Sex on a stick!!! ...

Yes, yes it is...

I have 2 sets myself, 1 in the office and 1 in my work tool bag.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8477 on: July 06, 2019, 03:50:53 pm »
Cool design. But how much is the ink?
Totally reasonable. Around $120 for a pack for 200 A6 prints (both ribbon and paper), or $80 for 240 10x9cm prints.

Why do I get a mental image of the walls at your place being plastered over with A6-sized photo-quality prints?  ;D

(Oh, I know.  That's what I'd do.  Tiled images of real and unreal places and stuff, maybe like small windows or ports...  Just do a DuckDuckGo image search on Plitvice to see what I mean.  I wonder how large a rounded icosahedron you could make, with the surface of Mars printed on it, without wasting too much space on those A6 sheets?)
The irony is that I used to do a lot more photography as a hobby, and I have tons of photos that I’ve been intending for 15 years (and counting) to print and frame. I have a great printer, great photo paper... and not one single photo printed and framed. Not one single photo of any kind on a wall! :(

Offline Johnny10

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8478 on: July 06, 2019, 04:15:23 pm »
My new Raspberry Pi is finally here. It is fast and a little hot!  ;D

What screen is that? And is it a touch-screen?

Cool Purchase!
Tektronix TDS7104, DMM4050, HP 3561A, HP 35665, Tek 2465A, HP8903B, DSA602A, Tek 7854, 7834, HP3457A, Tek 575, 576, 577 Curve Tracers, Datron 4000, Datron 4000A, DOS4EVER uTracer, HP5335A, EIP534B 20GHz Frequency Counter, TrueTime Rubidium, Sencore LC102, Tek TG506, TG501, SG503, HP 8568B

Offline pigrew

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8479 on: July 06, 2019, 05:21:33 pm »
I took a chance on an E9300A RF power sensor from eBay "for parts" at about $60. This is a 18GHz dual path diode-based sensor. So far, the connector gaged at 208.8 thou pin depth (seems good, looks like standard N is .208 deep while precision N is .207 deep.) and holds zero within spec, and properly cals. There is no public calibration guide that I can find, perhaps I will compare a siggen's output using another sensor against this one. Comparing to a 8656B siggen at 50 MHz and  950MHz, everything is within 0.2dB from -60 to 10 dBm, so yay, both diodes paths work.

I don't have a N-type cal kit, so I may measure gamma using a calibrated 3.5mm port with port extension as adapter removal. Gamma tables used to be printed on the sensors, but not with the E series. Is there a way to read the cal table from the EEPROM?

EDIT: Nevermind my question, seems like some code to read the EEPROM has been posted.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 07:19:30 pm by pigrew »

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #8480 on: July 06, 2019, 05:54:20 pm »

What screen is that? And is it a touch-screen?

Cool Purchase!

It is a 7-inch 1024x600 IPS display with a capacitive touch screen from Taobao.

https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.37.188a3fc8TSXCcf&id=591214164928&ns=1&abbucket=10&skuId=4065284305433

The following users thanked this post: Mr. Scram

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #8481 on: July 06, 2019, 06:38:09 pm »
I took a chance on an E9300A RF power sensor from eBay "for parts" at about $60. This is a 18GHz dual path diode-based sensor. So far, the connector gaged at 208.8 thou pin depth (seems good, looks like standard N is .208 deep while precision N is .207 deep.) and holds zero within spec, and properly cals. There is no public calibration guide that I can find, perhaps I will compare a siggen's output using another sensor against this one. I don't have a N-type cal kit, so I may measure gamma using a calibrated 3.5mm port with port extension as adapter removal. Gamma tables used to be printed on the sensors, but not with the E series. Is there a way to read the cal table from the EEPROM?

EDIT: Nevermind my question, seems like some code to read the EEPROM has been posted.

Amazing. I just assume all the "for parts" ones have fried diodes.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #8482 on: July 06, 2019, 06:51:25 pm »
Power sensor gambling!
I have played that game twice and got lucky both times. I don't think I want to play again.
VE7FM

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #8483 on: July 06, 2019, 10:23:27 pm »
Any pictures ? It's always nice to see the devices.   :D

I'll show you mine if you show me yours :)

This my variac, a Grundig RT5A:

And, to be ontopic, this has been arrived two days ago:

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Falkra

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
  • From Shanghai With Love
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #8484 on: July 07, 2019, 07:19:18 am »
Some cheap storage.

Amazon is doing a limited time offer today and Sabrent has a $255 2TB USB 3.1 NVMe SSD for sale, so I grabbed it.

The bare M2 drive itself is $220, also on sale. This is a TLC drive with 3115 TBW endurance, yet the price is comparable with Intel and Samsung's QLC drives.

Not a bad idea for a quiet local backup drive and video scratch disk.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N15HD51

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MTQTNVR
How does it perform though...

I have actually never really used any TLC or QLC drives. All my SSD's, especially the better ones, uses MLC. I have heard that TLC and QLC has longevity problems and are much slower than SLC and MLC devices.

Offline exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #8485 on: July 07, 2019, 07:40:42 am »

Wow, congratulations! I thought they are unobtanium.

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #8486 on: July 08, 2019, 03:59:37 am »

Using a Noctua 40mm cooling fan here seems like an overkill, even though I slightly overclocked it to 1.6GHz.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 04:14:01 am by gamalot »

Offline Mr.B

• Supporter
« Reply #8487 on: July 08, 2019, 04:31:30 am »
@gamalot,
That’s not the first time I have seen that very nice little RH+T display in your posts.
Initially I wrote them off as some sort of free giveaway from Sensirion.
After a quick search on Mouser… I just ordered a couple.   >:D
I approach the thinking of all of my posts using AI in the first instance. (Awkward Irregularity)

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #8488 on: July 08, 2019, 04:52:47 am »
After destroying my cheap Jaycar bench mat, while removing SMD components with my Hot air gun on the weekend, I finally ordered a hopefully decent mat from Amazon:

Bertech 2059T-18x30BKT ESD High Temperature Rubber Mat Kit with A Wrist Strap and A Grounding Cord, 18" Wide x 30" Long x 0.08"

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #8489 on: July 08, 2019, 04:57:48 am »
@gamalot,
That’s not the first time I have seen that very nice little RH+T display in your posts.
Initially I wrote them off as some sort of free giveaway from Sensirion.
After a quick search on Mouser… I just ordered a couple.   >:D

Which manufacturer will send samples to unemployed people?  :-//

Fortunately, it is not very expensive.  :-DD

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8490 on: July 08, 2019, 07:06:41 am »
I didn't really buy this, rather it was in a box of random devices that I bought. Monacor FSI-117 - An SWR Meter / Dummy load with a few other tricks up its sleeve for the 11m enthusiast. It seems to work fine, but I don't do any radio and have no other uses for it, so it's just going to be a pretty ornament for now unless someone here wants it.
The picture isn't my one, but is in the same condition.

McBryce.

30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline TiN

• Super Contributor
    • xDevs.com
« Reply #8491 on: July 08, 2019, 10:34:41 am »

Nice stash of fakes...
YouTube | Metrology IRC Chat room | Let's share T&M documentation? Upload! No upload limits for firmwares, photos, files.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #8492 on: July 08, 2019, 11:17:13 am »

Nice stash of fakes...

I got them from the same source where we examined one and they turned out to be genuine.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline JxR

• Supporter
« Reply #8493 on: July 08, 2019, 10:56:21 pm »
So I tried one of those places that can print and deliver a book to you from whatever you provide them.  I know one can get this particular PDF for free, but sometimes I just enjoy having a hard copy.  I'm very happy how it came out, and it was only about $15 + shipping.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline Mr.B

• Supporter
« Reply #8494 on: July 08, 2019, 11:46:45 pm »
Thats a pretty decent price.
But, why are the page numbers on the spine side of the page  >:D
I approach the thinking of all of my posts using AI in the first instance. (Awkward Irregularity)

Offline JxR

• Supporter
« Reply #8495 on: July 09, 2019, 12:01:56 am »
Thats a pretty decent price.
But, why are the page numbers on the spine side of the page  >:D

Haha, didn’t even notice that. It was just printed straight from the pdf document, so no editing was involved.  Tektronix probably wouldn’t like me editing their IP anyways, but just so I don’t try and sale copies of it, I doubt they care that I made a book from it. 

Offline gnavigator1007

• Supporter
« Reply #8496 on: July 09, 2019, 01:34:44 am »
So I tried one of those places that can print and deliver a book to you from whatever you provide them.  I know one can get this particular PDF for free, but sometimes I just enjoy having a hard copy.  I'm very happy how it came out, and it was only about $15 + shipping.

Would you mind sharing who you used for that? Can they bind as hardback too?

Offline JxR

• Supporter
« Reply #8497 on: July 09, 2019, 02:00:53 am »
Would you mind sharing who you used for that? Can they bind as hardback too?

It was: https://www.prestophoto.com

As to the hardback, I'm unsure. This particular one was printed as a "Textbook". When I originally looked at the Textbook options, there was one for hardback.  But after I uploaded the PDF and was  ready to check out, the hardback option was no longer there.  So, unsure if the PDF I uploaded didn't meet some kind of size/length requirement or what.

The following users thanked this post: gnavigator1007

Online TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #8498 on: July 09, 2019, 04:37:47 am »
If you ever reprint that book, if you insert a single blank page (The old "This page intentionally left blank") at the start of the PDF (not a whole leaf, just a single page), it'll push the pages along one and put the numbers at the outer edge. ;)
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

The following users thanked this post: blueskull, gnavigator1007, JxR

Offline JxR

• Supporter
« Reply #8499 on: July 09, 2019, 07:14:56 am »
If you ever reprint that book, if you insert a single blank page (The old "This page intentionally left blank") at the start of the PDF (not a whole leaf, just a single page), it'll push the pages along one and put the numbers at the outer edge. ;)

That is a good catch, but after examining the book closer, you do need more than one inserts before certain sections.  Sections 1/2 are fine (but only because I used second page as back cover), section 3/4 needs an insert, and section 5 is fine.  I just happen to take a picture from section 3 I think.  Also probably why I didn't immediately notice the page thing, since it looked fine from my first glance (and I just opened to a random page to snap a pic).

If that site would let me print a hardcover in A4, I might consider redoing it, but looks like 6"x9" is as large as they offer for "Textbook" printing. Just not interested in a smaller size. I looked at a couple alternative sites, but one was wanting ~$100 for a single printing.

Regardless the book has section headings on the outer-edges for nearly every page, so it really is a non-issue for me. If I consider printing another PDF though, I will be a bit more careful about the page numbering.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 07:16:34 am by JxR »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf