Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2851576 times)

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #13075 on: May 20, 2024, 01:23:37 am »
The ADR1399E-EBZ evaluation board and some other components from Digi-Key.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2024, 01:26:53 am by gamalot »

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #13076 on: May 20, 2024, 02:17:44 am »
Mid Weight Electronics Adjustment tool.  >:D Just under $30 AUD on special at Total Tools for the Aussies.

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #13077 on: May 20, 2024, 03:17:49 am »
Mid Weight Electronics Adjustment tool.  >:D Just under $30 AUD on special at Total Tools for the Aussies.

Nice peen... heh...

Offline jonpaul

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13078 on: May 20, 2024, 06:36:37 am »
3 Italian Moka Cafe Espresso pots LN in box w/spare gaskets.
Found at a street sale in Paris.

25eu all

jon
Jean-Paul  the Internet Dinosaur

The following users thanked this post: Martin72

Online aargee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13079 on: May 20, 2024, 11:17:47 pm »

Whooo, a screwdriver!
Not easy, not hard, just need to be incentivised.

The following users thanked this post: BlownUpCapacitor

Offline msuffidy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13080 on: May 21, 2024, 09:42:01 pm »
$2.30 Canadian, well it is the upper limit of my spending for this sort of thing. **Back later. Yes they are actually pretty good and give you a sugar caffeine buzz.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2024, 12:54:35 am by msuffidy »

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #13081 on: May 22, 2024, 12:01:02 am »
$2,50 Canadian about, well it is the upper limit of my spending for this sort of thing. **Back later. Yes they are actually pretty good and give you a sugar caffeine buzz.

https://www.wikihow.com/Do-the-Tim-Tam-Slam

For times of the day when Coffee is not appropriate works well with other Liquors. My preference is Port but you do you  ;D
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13082 on: May 22, 2024, 01:16:56 am »
$2,50 Canadian about, well it is the upper limit of my spending for this sort of thing. **Back later. Yes they are actually pretty good and give you a sugar caffeine buzz.

https://www.wikihow.com/Do-the-Tim-Tam-Slam

For times of the day when Coffee is not appropriate works well with other Liquors. My preference is Port but you do you  ;D

As I always say "Any old Port in a storm---but who needs the storm?".

Offline msuffidy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13083 on: May 22, 2024, 01:55:07 am »
As I always say "Any old Port in a storm---but who needs the storm?".

Well I make peach wine out of Minute Maid Peach Punch, sugar, pureed boiled potatoes, Lalvin 1118, and yeast nutrient. Sugar and nutrient again a few times. What I started doing in late 2017 is taking all the stuff at the bottom and the bits I can't syphon and running it though the most crude distillation equipment possible, which is a pot and a copper tube. It works very slowly and makes about as stiff a liquor you would ever want to drink. I would not want to eat Tim Tams with it but just saying.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2024, 02:35:03 am by msuffidy »

Offline CaptainBucko

• Contributor
« Reply #13084 on: May 22, 2024, 02:36:55 am »
I seem to constantly push tweezers one step too far, and bend them.

I am not sure if i should spend up big on some crazy high end Swiss made steel, so for now I've gone budget again.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001345525675.html

Online CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13085 on: May 23, 2024, 03:18:34 am »
I seem to constantly push tweezers one step too far, and bend them.

I am not sure if i should spend up big on some crazy high end Swiss made steel, so for now I've gone budget again.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001345525675.html

I have many pairs of the soft tweezers.  They are plenty strong for gripping small parts, but often get bent went dropped, dropped on by other tools, or just buried under workbench detritus.  The good news is that they are easy to re-bend to bring the tips back into contact and even to optimize the shape for a particular case. 

If real hardness is actually desired it should be possible to case harden these pretty easily.  Probably could be accomplished with a propane torch.

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #13086 on: May 23, 2024, 06:05:28 am »
i throw them in a bucket and once in a while when im bored i get the pliers and diamond lapping plate to shape them back up into semi useful state. your going to be cursing when you destroy a 50$ tweezer on some thing dumb, you need both. like if you wanna just grab something in a nasty instrument body or whatever

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13087 on: May 23, 2024, 08:49:41 am »
your going to be cursing when you destroy a 50$ tweezer on some thing dumb, you need both

That's exactly the reason I have some expensive tools that are completely unused, meanwhile always using the trusty but cheap and worn ones. Sometimes it's a false economy, and you deprive yourself of the joy of using decent tools.

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #13088 on: May 23, 2024, 08:54:20 am »
i mean the amount of tools that are super easy to damage is not that much. tweezers are like at the tip of the problem, and cutters are #2, then you have carbide and ceramic tools.

But I would say tweezers are about, 20 times more likely to be damaged then even carbide flush cutters, which I have a bunch of.

actually its tweezers and carbide micro drill bits. but you usually buy 10-20x of the same size for carbide drill bits, so its not that big a deal to break them, but they can be nearly as expensive for larger sizes.

I can't think of anything remotely as ridiculous as fine tweezers or <1mm carbide drill bits. Oh, and fine machinist stones (thankfully you can use beefy high quality deburring tools, diamond files and sand paper sticks in most cases). Then there are a few others like tiny carbide taps. That is the evaluation if your work or tool is more expensive, since if taps and drills break, your work is screwed.

maybe the optics people have more knowledge about evil tools that are easy to break.

maybe beater electrometers too. i heard that one before from a scientist
« Last Edit: May 23, 2024, 09:05:33 am by coppercone2 »

Offline CaptainBucko

• Contributor
« Reply #13089 on: May 24, 2024, 05:52:43 am »
But I would say tweezers are about, 20 times more likely to be damaged then even carbide flush cutters, which I have a bunch of.
Yep, I spotted a slightly bent pin on a 20-pin TSSOP, and foolishly thought "let me just straiten that a bit with my brand new tweezers". Nope, bad idea.

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13090 on: May 26, 2024, 07:44:05 am »
I have 3 sets of needle point tweezers.  All of the shape enough to pierce skin and they do at every op. 

However, under the microscope they look like a crony old witches finger.  Bent, buckled and blunt.
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf