Author Topic: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise.  (Read 495053 times)

shapirus, Bud and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
Re: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise.
« Reply #1725 on: January 30, 2022, 04:12:55 pm »
New pet peeve for me:
When people repeatedly sniff while narrating a YouTube video.
Have you been watching snuff movies? :\

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk

Online Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #1726 on: January 31, 2022, 12:20:32 am »
New pet peeve for me:

iratus parum formica

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
« Reply #1727 on: January 31, 2022, 03:58:02 am »
New pet peeve for me:
"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Oy, so there's the sort of snuff you sniff, which is ground-up tobacco, and then there are the films you don't want to watch.

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk

Online Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #1728 on: January 31, 2022, 05:05:22 am »
New pet peeve for me:
"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Oy, so there's the sort of snuff you sniff, which is ground-up tobacco, and then there are the films you don't want to watch.

Well, one is worse on your libido than the other. Well, to be fair, anything thing you snort can affect your performance.
iratus parum formica

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1729 on: February 04, 2022, 11:38:17 pm »
Ran into another peeve, overly aggressive profanity filters. There is a website that filters even soft profanity like "ass", but the problem is it filters it even when it is a part of another word. Classic, Class, Classy, Classical, etc all have the "ass" part automatically snipped out. Same with Cocktail, Cockatoo, and numerous others. It's kind of ridiculous given how easy it would be to filter in a more sensible way.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1730 on: February 05, 2022, 12:02:20 am »
Ran into another peeve, overly aggressive profanity filters. There is a website that filters even soft profanity like "ass", but the problem is it filters it even when it is a part of another word. Classic, Class, Classy, Classical, etc all have the "ass" part automatically snipped out. Same with Cocktail, Cockatoo, and numerous others. It's kind of ridiculous given how easy it would be to filter in a more sensible way.
If its a large animal veterinary forum, filtering ass might be quite annoying. Quite a pain in the arse (the British probably only invented that spelling to circumvent some filter imposed on them by Americans) in fact. Who doesn't know what the f**k is really being said when words are filtered, anyway?

Online themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1731 on: February 05, 2022, 01:32:20 am »
overly aggressive profanity filters. There is a website that filters even soft profanity like "ass", but the problem is it filters it even when it is a part of another word.
Scunthorpe residents have been having that  problem for years

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, tooki

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1732 on: February 05, 2022, 03:30:57 am »
overly aggressive profanity filters. There is a website that filters even soft profanity like "ass", but the problem is it filters it even when it is a part of another word.
I remember in the 70s the "If Typhoo put the tea in Britain, who put the **** in Scunthorpe" gag being paint sprayed along a platform of a Victoria Line tube station in London in letters about half a metre high. It was cleaned off the next day. They really can keep the tube stations clean when they set their minds to it. I wonder how many spray cans it took to write that?  ;)

Online Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #1733 on: February 05, 2022, 03:40:57 am »
For those among us who appreciate language in all it's forms, seek out Kevin Bloody Wilson's You cant say c*** in Canada.
iratus parum formica

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, james_s, Nominal Animal

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1734 on: February 05, 2022, 11:59:59 pm »
If its a large animal veterinary forum, filtering ass might be quite annoying. Quite a pain in the arse (the British probably only invented that spelling to circumvent some filter imposed on them by Americans) in fact. Who doesn't know what the f**k is really being said when words are filtered, anyway?

It actually took me a while to figure out what "clic" meant, but eventually I realized it was "classic" that had been censored.

Online SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1735 on: February 06, 2022, 02:48:52 am »

It actually took me a while to figure out what "clic" meant, but eventually I realized it was "classic" that had been censored.

OMG  :palm: :-DD

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #1736 on: February 06, 2022, 05:53:09 am »
Ran into another peeve, overly aggressive profanity filters. There is a website that filters even soft profanity like "ass", but the problem is it filters it even when it is a part of another word. Classic, Class, Classy, Classical, etc all have the "ass" part automatically snipped out.
The traditional way to refer to this kind of stupid filter is to use the word clbuttic.  It is even listed in the English Wiktionary.  (The even older, but related, medireview [instead of medieval, eval() being a scary Javascript thing] was a Yahoo-only goof; clbuttic has been encountered many times in many different implementations.)

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza, SilverSolder, tooki, james_s

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1737 on: February 06, 2022, 05:22:43 pm »
There was a UK planning department that got a lot of complaints, about them no longer approving any online applications for permits, and even the internal applications that were posted in and typed into the system. Mainly because every application referred to the erection of structures, which resulted in the email being silently deleted by the mail server.

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, tooki, james_s

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
« Reply #1738 on: February 06, 2022, 11:07:00 pm »
Ages ago I participated in a forum dedicated to live sound production, and two of the regular posters complained that the forum software did not like that they were from Oakland.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline Kasper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1739 on: February 08, 2022, 06:40:21 am »
I play a game where they filter the entire clan's chat if one underage person joins. When we find out the filter is back, we curse and kick until its 'fixed'.

Offline HobGoblyn

• Supporter
« Reply #1740 on: February 09, 2022, 11:45:34 pm »
My wife asks.  “Alexa, Question of the day.”

Alexa, “What country…………..”

My wife, “D Korea”

Alexa, “Good guess, but the correct answer  is  “D Korea”

Second time that’s happened in the last week lol

Online Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #1741 on: February 09, 2022, 11:48:50 pm »
I went to the shops today. That's everybody's pet peeve, sure.

But someone was parked in my usual car spot.  >:(
iratus parum formica

Online vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1742 on: February 10, 2022, 12:19:26 am »
There was a UK planning department that got a lot of complaints, about them no longer approving any online applications for permits, and even the internal applications that were posted in and typed into the system. Mainly because every application referred to the erection of structures, which resulted in the email being silently deleted by the mail server.

Some years back, the visiting IT guy, as part of his ongoing campaign to destroy our system, somehow set the server "profanity filter" "to 11!".

I had to set an email to bloke in NSW whose name, if you squinched your eyes up, stood on your head, & farted, had a passing resemblance to the "F" word.

His details contained his "ABN" number, which the filter also had problems with.

The server rejected the email due to "racial vilification".
If you really stretched your imagination, & performed the aforesaid acrobatics, it looked vaguely like a nasty reference to Indigenous people.

Astounded, I sent the Boss an internal email, saying "The bloody thing rejected my email!"
That one was also rejected---------for profanity! :palm: :palm:

Online vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1743 on: February 10, 2022, 12:24:23 am »
It would also be a bummer to live in Shitterton, & an ongoing problem for the Fuchs lubrication manufacturers.

Online Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #1744 on: February 10, 2022, 12:33:50 am »
It would also be a bummer to live in Shitterton, & an ongoing problem for the Fuchs lubrication manufacturers.

I remember being apprehensive about buying a CDROM drive that had a software driver from a company called Matshita.
iratus parum formica

Offline Ranayna

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1745 on: February 10, 2022, 08:32:29 am »
There was a village in Austria, called "Fucking"
That must also have been fun when ordering online from english speaking countries.

They now have changed their name to an older spelling: "Fugging", because too many tourists stole the signs  |O

Online themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1746 on: February 10, 2022, 11:46:16 am »
was it twinned with intercourse pennsylvania

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #1747 on: February 10, 2022, 03:26:31 pm »
That must also have been fun when ordering online from english speaking countries.

They now have changed their name to an older spelling: "Fugging", because too many tourists stole the signs  |O

I believe it was Norman Mailer who used "fugging" as a euphemism in his early novels to avoid censorship.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1748 on: February 11, 2022, 03:28:25 am »
I believe it was Norman Mailer who used "fugging" as a euphemism in his early novels to avoid censorship.

Now that you mention it, I read "The Naked and the Dead" quite a few years ago and I remember that. The book was actually a bit of a drag, slogging through page after page I felt a lot like the characters within it slogging through the mud and muck of the battlefield. For a book about war there was disappointingly little action in it.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1749 on: February 11, 2022, 03:29:41 am »

Back when I worked at Microsoft a friend of mine was in the group that made whatever mapping software they were doing at the time and with great amusement he sent me a screenshot of a bug report titled "There is no Fucking Austria", apparently the whole village was missing off the map.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf