About cheap ram: how much would AI performance deteriorate when the RAM is not 100% perfect. I've heard rumours memory chips contain extra blocks which can be switched in during testing after production. If that is true and AI still works with slightly defective memory, it could mean a significant cost saving. No testing and a better yield.
Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, and I was playing with neural networks on a Meiko computing surface, we did some experiments with accuracy of network-state retrieval.
TLDR: It's nowhere near as important as you intuitively expect.
We tried things like float inputs and integer storage, float inputs and a mixture of 16-bit, 8-bit and boolean (!) storage, float inputs and a (small) number of random stores. Nothing really mattered, you'd get similar results from heavily quantised data as you did from fully float inputs.
To be clear, these werent noddy "XOR problem" type networks either, we were doing co-occurrence-based segmentation, relaxation labelling (which is functionally very similar to back-prop), contextual inputs, temporal sub-networks and spatial feature-extraction. We were measuring the information content within the network results with Bayesian probability analysis. There was a lot of mathematical rigour in the results. And really, it just didn't matter that much.
Now your proposal is similar to our "small number of random stores" where the network would just get random data now and then. I'd expect it (assuming it was trained on a similar system) to ... just work, honestly. If you trained on perfect memory and then deployed on "dodgy" memory, that might be different - we never tried that, but I'd still expect a fairly robust response from the network, up until a critical point where the information it's getting is significantly obscured by the noise from the memory.
As far as the Mac Pro M5 Ultra 512 goes, I've more or less changed my mind. I used to work at Apple, so my Mac M3 Ultra (512GB) cost me about £5000. I sold it recently for about £12000, and I fully intended to buy a new M5 Ultra (512GB) when it came out. I'm no longer sure I'll do that.
The thing is that the difference between a frontier LLM and one you can run on one of these new Mac Pros is still there. The cost is still exorbitant for the new model (I'm expecting it to be ~£18-20k) and that's a *lot* of £180/month subscriptions (or, even DeepSeek with claude code at ~£30-50/month). You get privacy. You lose on money and technical ability. It doesn't seem a great trade unless you *really* need privacy.
That changes if publicly-available LLMs start to rise significantly in cost, or if local hardware costs come down. I'm not sure I see either of those happening before the *next* Mac Pro (M7, M8?) ultra comes along. I guess we'll see what the future holds.